BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When a club hires David Moyes and persists with LVG despite the awful football and performances on the pitch, I think its safe to say the club is being poorly run at the moment.
Hiring David moyes was certainly the wrong move. Persistence with LVG might be benefit of the doubt until seasons end, or because mourinho might not have wanted to join mid-season.

Wishful thinking though, I worry we will keep lvg and have an issue far worse than finishing 5th at the end of the season.

ravi2

Hiring David moyes was certainly the wrong move. Persistence with LVG might be benefit of the doubt until seasons end, or because mourinho might not have wanted to join mid-season.

Wishful thinking though, I worry we will keep lvg and have an issue far worse than finishing 5th at the end of the season.
Even if Jose didnt want to join or a clause prevented him from doing so then ANY coach would have been better at that stage. An interim coach should have been hired, that is clear to me.
If that happened we would have had a much better shot at attaining top 4.

I say it again, Woodward is one of the worst, if the the worst CEO's of any top sports franchise that I can think of, but thats what you get when you let an investment banker make footballing decisions for Manchester United.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I agree, but I think it's a combination of both. Many of these players are definitely soft, but I think Mourinho would get much more out of them. You wouldn't have thought the likes of Fabregas or Willian or Oscar had that kind of character, but they were able to show it at times under him.
Re: Fabregas
He has never been a "nice guy". He wants to win at all costs and is a very sore loser.
After the Battle at OT, when Arsenal lost....he through Pizza at SAF. He did this when he was only a teenager. He is a sore loser through and through and I feel we need these types; ie. players who hate to lose and don't take losing well.
I think Mourinho will bring in players with a winning mentality, as opposed to the nice guys who will shake hands with the players who have just given them a good spanking.

nick2004

Mourinho has already signed a long term contract with Man Utd. He plans to stay with us for a long time. He did not want to start mid-season, out of respect to LVG and also because he wants to implement his plans and aim for first place, not battle for 4th with LVG's squad. I am sure it will be announced the day after our last game for the season.

My sources? None at all! Just common sense.

Mourinho is a top manager, it is impossible that any talks are dragging for six months. And if Man Utd is not interested and we have not signed him, then he'd sign with someone else by now, and announce that.

Long term plans are also important, both for him and for us. In the past he has expressed his desire to imitate SAF and stay put in a club. It is equally important for Man Utd. If we get Mourinho and he fails, then what? It would be a catastrophe. It is time for us to get the best in the world and stay with him. I believe that Mourinho is that guy.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Mourinho has already signed a long term contract with Man Utd. He plans to stay with us for a long time. He did not want to start mid-season, out of respect to LVG and also because he wants to implement his plans and aim for first place, not battle for 4th with LVG's squad. I am sure it will be announced the day after our last game for the season.

Mourinho is a top manager, it is impossible that any talks are dragging for six months. And if Man Utd is not interested and we have not signed him, then he'd sign with someone else by now, and announce that.

Long term plans are also important, both for him and for us. In the past he has expressed his desire to imitate SAF and stay put in a club. It is equally important for Man Utd. If we get Mourinho and he fails, then what? It would be a catastrophe. It is time for us to get the best in the world and stay with him. I believe that Mourinho is that guy.
I think this is the case. If LVG was going to stay then I think we would have confirmed it and announcing he is going to get sacked would have just undermined him for the rest of the season.

I also think if we didn't have a deal with Mourinho then he would have jumped at that PSG approach.

I imagine it will all be confirmed a week or two after the FA cup final.

redflash

I think this is the case. If LVG was going to stay then I think we would have confirmed it and announcing he is going to get sacked would have just undermined him for the rest of the season.

I also think if we didn't have a deal with Mourinho then he would have jumped at that PSG approach.

I am hoping this is true.

nick2004

Yes, LVG is definitely leaving in the summer. As I wrote in the other thread, managers almost never stay for their last year. Either they are given an extension, or they leave. It is very difficult to motivate players when they know that the manager will leave at the end of the year. It is common sense. (Yes, Pep is a rare exception but even in that case he announced it mid-year, not in the summer.)

LeftyBlaster

Re: Fabregas
He has never been a "nice guy". He wants to win at all costs and is a very sore loser.
After the Battle at OT, when Arsenal lost....he through Pizza at SAF. He did this when he was only a teenager. He is a sore loser through and through and I feel we need these types; ie. players who hate to lose and don't take losing well.
I think Mourinho will bring in players with a winning mentality, as opposed to the nice guys who will shake hands with the players who have just given them a good spanking.
I agree with this. IMO Martial has this hate-to-lose mentality. So do Ander and Dave.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

I think it's possible the bored are such a clueless bunch of mugs they haven't even twitched at the prospect of him not seeing out his 3 year contract. Therefore, why would they need to announce he is staying on another year?

Amir

I think it's possible the bored are such a clueless bunch of mugs they haven't even twitched at the prospect of him not seeing out his 3 year contract. Therefore, why would they need to announce he is staying on another year?
Two years ago think most people here assumed Moyes was going nowhere because our board are clueless and they'd back the manager because that's what United are supposed to so, yada yada yada. Not many were sure he'd be sacked. He was.

Sherzad

Not sure, what were They?
Jose Mourinho gave the studied impression of being unperturbed by Manchester United’s defeat at West Ham, a result which could herald his appointment as manager at Old Trafford now that Louis van Gaal is unlikely to deliver Champions League football next season.

Mourinho, who arrived in Mexico City on Tuesday night to manage a FIFA legends team, said he was flying during the match and only found out the result when he had checked into his hotel.

He smiled enigmatically when asked if it would affect his future, saying: ‘There is plenty of time.’

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Two years ago think most people here assumed Moyes was going nowhere because our board are clueless and they'd back the manager because that's what United are supposed to so, yada yada yada. Not many were sure he'd be sacked. He was.
7th place was awful and we probably won't finish that low this year. Plus, Ferguson chose Moyes. This year it's possible we could win the FA Cup which Woodward could easily use as an excuse to cover his own embarrassment as he is the one who brought Van Gaal in.

Amir

7th place was awful and we probably won't finish that low this year. Plus, Ferguson chose Moyes. This year it's possible we could win the FA Cup which Woodward could easily use as an excuse to cover his own embarrassment as he is the one who brought Van Gaal in.
I'd have thought Fergie picking Moyes would be the best excuse in the history of world football to keep a manager!

Bottom line is, our board showed they do realise when something is crap. Let's give them a little credit - and three weeks to see what happens.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't think there's any embarrassment in having brought LVG in. The only embarrassment has been in refusing to sack him when it became painfully obvious that it wasn't working out.

peridigm

Can see West Ham and Southampton both getting 3 pts. We're more than capable of dropping points against Bournemouth. If we win we finish 4th or 5th depending on City. We draw or lose and we finish 5th, 6th, or 7th.

We should not be on this position but we are. There are numerous games we threw away or did not show up for that could have made a difference of us finishing 2nd or 3rd. We play one of those teams on Sunday.

tomaldinho1

Whilst we all wait for some kind of announcement from the board part of me thinks if there is a deal in place for Mourinho we should make it public. Our display against WHUM was so toothless I fear for us in the FA cup final, Palace are a very good team on their day and they will have watched us lose and really fancy a win. All they have to do is cross the ball into the box and you can almost guarantee a free header on DDG.

Announce Mourinho, get the players fighting for their futures and lose this half assed mentality that losing is ok because 'we will bounce back'

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Whilst we all wait for some kind of announcement from the board part of me thinks if there is a deal in place for Mourinho we should make it public. Our display against WHUM was so toothless I fear for us in the FA cup final, Palace are a very good team on their day and they will have watched us lose and really fancy a win. All they have to do is cross the ball into the box and you can almost guarantee a free header on DDG.

Announce Mourinho, get the players fighting for their futures and lose this half assed mentality that losing is ok because 'we will bounce back'
Didn't really work for City announcing Pep, if anything it put a massive dent in their season.

Rednotdead

And there's where your whole post falls flat. Who would this "someone else" be? Indonesia? The sole reason he hasn't signed for someone else is that there's no one else to sign for, and the club knows that. He's probably got offers from minor entities but nothing from anywhere near a top club. That's the only reason he's waiting and hoping.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm challenging your assertion it's a done deal. Simple logic says it isn't.

Natener

I'd have thought Fergie picking Moyes would be the best excuse in the history of world football to keep a manager!

Bottom line is, our board showed they do realise when something is crap. Let's give them a little credit - and three weeks to see what happens.
A lot of people are pointing fingers at Ed and the board because of guesswork. I think it's silly. Mourinho or not as replacement, imagine the outcry if they had sacked LVG in December or January and appointed Giggs as interim which was the most likely alternative. Giggs, who the majority of fans thinks he hasn't proved himself capable of the job yet.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
100% agree, but I believe Jose wouldnt have to make wholesale changes to this squad...neither would SAF.
Both would get much much more out of the current players, we really only need 3-4 additions (plus a decent manager) to have us challenging for the top again.
They are miracle workers then

Taxx

Have the quote from Mexico been posted?
From 'The Daily Mail': http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...job-former-Chelsea-boss-says-plenty-time.html

Jose Mourinho gave the studied impression of being unperturbed by Manchester United’s defeat at West Ham, a result which could herald his appointment as manager at Old Trafford now that Louis van Gaal is unlikely to deliver Champions League football next season.

Mourinho, who arrived in Mexico City on Tuesday night to manage a FIFA legends team, said he was flying during the match and only found out the result when he had checked into his hotel.

He smiled enigmatically when asked if it would affect his future, saying: ‘There is plenty of time.’

Last edited:

nick2004

And there's where your whole post falls flat. Who would this "someone else" be? Indonesia? The sole reason he hasn't signed for someone else is that there's no one else to sign for, and the club knows that. He's probably got offers from minor entities but nothing from anywhere near a top club. That's the only reason he's waiting and hoping.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm challenging your assertion it's a done deal. Simple logic says it isn't.
Plenty of teams would. Inter Milan and Roma as two examples. Mourinho is the best manager in the world. It is like you are asking: if Ronaldo was without contract this summer, who would be interested in him?

Taxx

Plenty of teams would. Inter Milan and Roma as two examples. Mourinho is the best manager in the world. It is like you are asking: if Ronaldo was without contract this summer, who would be interested in him?
He has already declined Inter, though, so it wouldn't make much sense if he went for Roma? He's stated several times he wants to stay in England.

nick2004

He has already declined Inter, though, so it wouldn't make much sense if he went for Roma? He's stated several times he wants to stay in England.
The question was who would want to hire Mourinho.

Does anyone really think that if we don't hire him he will be ... jobless? :houllier:

SirAF

Ageist
From 'The Daily Mail': http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...job-former-Chelsea-boss-says-plenty-time.html

Surprised this haven't been given more attention, it seems pretty significant.

hobbers

If he doesn't end up here the only other jobs I could realistically see him in are PSG or Everton.

Rednotdead

The question was who would want to hire Mourinho.

Does anyone really think that if we don't hire him he will be ... jobless? :houllier:
The question wasn't "who would want to hire Mourinho". The question was what other credible offers does he have right now that are anywhere near our level?

And as for being jobless - no he wouldn't be, but if we don't hire him he'll have to settle for a lesser job.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not really significant, it's nothing more than we know already. He's waiting for a decision from us.
I'm starting to believe this too. That our mind isn't actually made up yet, which is truly hilarious if true.

Obviously I'm holding out with the optimistic viewpoint that our board knew ages ago that Mourinho will replace LVG but don't want to hamper squad harmony and our cup chances in the process.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he's our next manager.

I just hope he is planning really well for next season/the summer. It's time for us to have a cracking summer of transfer activity as well as top notch coaching to drill this team back into a team.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I just hope he is planning really well for next season/the summer. It's time for us to have a cracking summer of transfer activity as well as top notch coaching to drill this team back into a team.
I think that.

Just the lack of any transfer activity from LVG suggests that the board haven't trusted him with any more money

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Full quotes -
has reiterated he will be in a new job next season, with Louis van Gaal's role as Manchester United manager under serious threat after Tuesday night's Premier League defeat at West Ham.

United must beat Bournemouth and hope City lose at Swansea on Sunday if they are to finish in the top four and secure a Champions League qualifying spot, which Van Gaal's future is understood to depend on.

The 3-2 defeat at the Boleyn Ground was good news for Mourinho, who is desperate to become United manager, and the Portuguese briefly spoke about his situation in Mexico, where he was managing a Fifa legends team.

According to the Mail , Mourinho discovered the United result when he checked into his hotel and was asked whether it would affect his own future.

"There is plenty of time," Mourinho told reporters.

Mourinho then gave a coyer response to AP.

"I don't know. I know nothing about it really," Mourinho added. "I don't have a club and I was waiting for these guys (the FIFA Legends) to win the match to give me a hand but because I lost the match it's even more difficult to get the club."

Mourinho also said 'in July I will be back' but admitted his start date at whichever club he takes over will be 'difficult', since the pre-season schedule will not be tailored to his preferences.
It's difficult because when you get a new club in this period normally the clubs they did already their work," Mourinho admitted. "I give you an example. I'm not the Chelsea manager but I organized the Chelsea pre-season in many aspects because I did that 10 months ago.

"Clubs have their commercial, marketing departments always involved in everything. When a new manager arrives in May, June it's very difficult to touch in some points but we know that."

United face Borussia Dortmund in Shanghai on July 22 and then take on Pep Guardiola's City on July 25 in Beijing during an eight-day tour of China and are expected to host an Old Trafford friendly in August.
Should Van Gaal guide United to an FA Cup win over Crystal Palace next week, they would also face Leicester in the annual Community Shield curtain-raiser.

"Scouting is done during the year," Mourinho said. "It's not even a competition like the Euros where you are going to find by miracle some new talents. We know everybody, so it's just a question of trying to choose the players that your team needs because the scouting, with our structures, we do it for many, many players."
Things that come out of it-
  • Reports that LVG would stay as he was heavily involved in united's pre season planning are not correct.
  • Scouting is done even if he is out of job.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This definitely sounds like us :lol:

Mourinho also said 'in July I will be back' but admitted his start date at whichever club he takes over will be 'difficult', since the pre-season schedule will not be tailored to his preferences.
It's difficult because when you get a new club in this period normally the clubs they did already their work," Mourinho admitted. "I give you an example. I'm not the Chelsea manager but I organized the Chelsea pre-season in many aspects because I did that 10 months ago.

"Clubs have their commercial, marketing departments always involved in everything. When a new manager arrives in May, June it's very difficult to touch in some points but we know th

hubbuh

It's really all we need to get back in and amongst it. It actually gives me hope (there's that fateful word again) living under the assumption the above happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.