g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bluemoon goes into Meltdown

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
TBF my mate has purchased a ticket for this final and it will cost him overall 250.00 (without food and drink) to get down and watch the game. City games are comically cheap and this will be an expense many can’t afford at all.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
why do you give him no credit for creating the greatest side in football history? They finished 3rd the season before he arrived on 67 points.

It's quite a bizarre way to look at things.
Yes and the season before that second on goal difference and they won the previous 2 titles before that. He is a tier under coached like SAF and Mou what both of them did was much harder then anything pep ever did in his career. Like I said great coach no doubt but he is a tier under the other 2.

D4X73r

Yes and the season before that second on goal difference and they won the previous 2 titles before that. He is a tier under coached like SAF and Mou what both of them did was much harder then anything pep ever did in his career. Like I said great coach no doubt but he is a tier under the other 2.
I see it the same way. It's not like Pep transformed a midtable team into world beater.
He coached Barca, Bayern and now City.

Fluctuation0161

I mean, sure, anything can be true if you make it up.

If you go to this link - https://www.mancity.com/news/tickets and travel/tickets and travel/2019/january/man city carabao cup final ticket information details - you'll see it stated pretty clearly that people buying tickets for the final on general sale "must have previous purchase history prior to 23rd January 2019 when purchasing tickets for this fixture". So if a Chelsea fan tried to buy a ticket in our end they'd have to have bought a ticket for another one of our games in the past. I doubt that "a lot" of Chelsea fans have bought tickets to City games in the past.

Look, fair enough, you saw a tweet that you thought was funny but you didn't realise its contents were out of date. We all make mistakes.
3 days on general sale to sell out a cup final! Clearly demonstrates the lack of supporters.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
3 days on general sale to sell out a cup final! Clearly demonstrates the lack of supporters.
A point that's been covered a dozen times in the past, not just by me but by various posters in the numerous threads on here about our matchday attendances. We have about 40-45,000 die-hard fans who go to every home game and would be willing to shell out for a cup final, the rest come and go. Doesn't really matter whether we sell out the cup final or not, we're still in one.

Tarrou

so were they the greatest team ever before Pep took over then, or not?

Tarrou

I'm a fan of Pep but let's be fair. He got Xavi, Iniesta and Lionel fecking Messi. It wasn't a tall order to improve on 67 points.
sure but all three improved massively after he took over, especially Xavi who as I recall it was nothing special for a a few years after the early hype died down

Tarrou

It's true Xavi went to a new level when he came but he had just displayed that new level before Pep anyway at Euro 2008 iirc
Fair enough, you're right. I'm not advocating Pep as the greatest ever or anything, that is SAF for me.

But I do find it strange when people say he took over the greatest team ever.

Sure he had things which working in his favour with Messi being the obvious one, but he made a lot of great things happen all at once too. 7/8 players all converging to world class status at the exact same moment isn't a lucky coincidence.

How many times do we see managers step into a big club and wilt? Happens all the time. Yet Pep going into Barca, Bayern and City and performing well is somehow used as a black mark against his name.

Denis_unwise

I mean, sure, anything can be true if you make it up.

Look, fair enough, you saw a tweet that you thought was funny but you didn't realise its contents were out of date. We all make mistakes.
Don't think you read the Tweet properly. The Tweet was funny as it revealed that you have put Cup Final tickets on general sale. The date of the Tweet has no relevance.

Your point on Chelsea stands. The Blues i work with say there are regularly away fans in the home stands at the Etihad. This is why i presumed Chelsea would be buying up your unused tickets. As it is many Chelsea fans have had enough of Sarri so are staying away.

SportingCP96

Supports
so were they the greatest team ever before Pep took over then, or not?
The team was young and still starting out that whole starting 11 was fantastic. Best midfield partnership of maybe all time one of the top 2 players of all time the all time leading Spain goal scorer in villa the season before that one do the greatest players of his generation in Henry. That team was still molding together. Did pep have a part ? Ya sure like I said he is a great coach but that team was too good not to succeed. Similar example the golden state warriors and Steve Kerr that team can coach themselves they are that good. Every other coach who coached Barca had success as well right after because the team was that good Messi best year was in 2013 where he scored 91 goals in a calendar year pep was not their...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Every other coach who coached Barca had success as well right after because the team was that good Messi best year was in 2013 where he scored 91 goals in a calendar year pep was not their...
And despite Messi's insane output, they didn't win the CL that year.
In fact they won it 2 out of 4 years under Pep (2 others were semi finals losing to the eventual winners) and in 6 seasons after that, they've won it once with 1 semi-final appearance.

Anyway, this is like the Messi v Ronaldo debate. Facing Pep's Barca was a daunting task, in a way that goes beyond result numbers.
Inter did it with the best defensive performance I've ever seen. Chelsea somehow hung in there and rode their luck massively, with Messi missing a pen and Cesc missing an open goal. No other European opponent managed it.

Real were repeatedly dominated, twice by historic margins,,and won only twice in those 4 years (across La Liga, CdR, and CL).
From 2006-08, Barca had a 0-2-3 record in Clasicos.
Under Pep, it was 8-1-2.
After Pep, it has been 7-3-5.
[not counting super cup, which would actually make the stats even better for Pep, and counting 2-legged matches as 1 result]

SportingCP96

Supports
And despite Messi's insane output, they didn't win the CL that year.
In fact they won it 2 out of 4 years under Pep (2 others were semi finals losing to the eventual winners) and in 6 seasons after that, they've won it once with 1 semi-final appearance.

Anyway, this is like the Messi v Ronaldo debate. Facing Pep's Barca was a daunting task, in a way that goes beyond result numbers.
Inter did it with the best defensive performance I've ever seen. Chelsea somehow hung in there and rode their luck massively, with Messi missing a pen and Cesc missing an open goal. No other European opponent managed it.

Real were repeatedly dominated, twice by historic margins,,and won only twice in those 4 years (across La Liga, CdR, and CL).
From 2006-08, Barca had a 0-2-3 record in Clasicos.
Under Pep, it was 8-1-2.
After Pep, it has been 7-3-5.
[not counting super cup, which would actually make the stats even better for Pep, and counting 2-legged matches as 1 result]
You forgot to mention he has never won the CL again since he left that Barca team. In contrary though Barca DID win a CL without pep.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You forgot to mention he has never won the CL again since he left that Barca team. In contrary though Barca DID win a CL without pep.
Yes i thought it was useful to look at other factors but of course that's not worth responding to at all.

Xeno

A point that's been covered a dozen times in the past, not just by me but by various posters in the numerous threads on here about our matchday attendances. We have about 40-45,000 die-hard fans who go to every home game and would be willing to shell out for a cup final, the rest come and go. Doesn't really matter whether we sell out the cup final or not, we're still in one.
I’d say c. 35,000-40,000 ‘guaranteed’ supporters, 5,000 floaters and then the away fans for me. Newcastle level support.

I mean even West Ham draws more.

Enjoy it. It doesn’t matter if you get 5 fans to your games you can still attract top players.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Enjoy it. It doesn’t matter if you get 5 fans to your games you can still attract top players.
This is basically my point. Doesn't matter if our entire side of Wembley is completely empty, we'll still be in the final.

ASHWIT

Fair enough, you're right. I'm not advocating Pep as the greatest ever or anything, that is SAF for me.

But I do find it strange when people say he took over the greatest team ever.

Sure he had things which working in his favour with Messi being the obvious one, but he made a lot of great things happen all at once too. 7/8 players all converging to world class status at the exact same moment isn't a lucky coincidence.

How many times do we see managers step into a big club and wilt? Happens all the time. Yet Pep going into Barca, Bayern and City and performing well is somehow used as a black mark against his name.

I kind of is though. Harrison/SAF nurtured the class of 92 into what they became but they had to have it "in them" in the first place to achieve the levels they did which meant a huge slice of luck was involved too.

Tarrou

I kind of is though. Harrison/SAF nurtured the class of 92 into what they became but they had to have it "in them" in the first place to achieve the levels they did which meant a huge slice of luck was involved too.
Some luck for sure, but how much of their success was down to SAF? He played a massive part. How many other managers would've carved up a top team and given the youngsters a chance like he did?

Top managers get top young talents who never make it all the time. Getting a group to all make it to world class status in one moment is a momental task that involved a lot more than luck.

ASHWIT

Some luck for sure, but how much of their success was down to SAF? He played a massive part. How many other managers would've carved up a top team and given the youngsters a chance like he did?

Top managers get top young talents who never make it all the time. Getting a group to all make it to world class status in one moment is a momental task that involved a lot more than luck.

100% agree mate. Its just the fact we had that many players out of one academy group who even had the potential to go on to that level was and still is unprecedented.

Having the vision, ability and, to be frank balls to rip up that team and trust kids was zero to do with luck though.

matbezlima

I see it the same way. It's not like Pep transformed a midtable team into world beater.
He coached Barca, Bayern and now City.
You have to understand that Guardiola is a mad perfectionist who wants his team to play the absolute best football in the world. And you can't do that without a great team to begin with. You can make a Porto, an Inter or an Atletico of Simeone win without having a truly fantastic squad, but you can not make them win playing truly fantastic football, at least not the crazily high level that Guardiola wants from his players.

D4X73r

You have to understand that Guardiola is a mad perfectionist who wants his team to play the absolute best football in the world. And you can't do that without a great team to begin with. You can make a Porto, an Inter or an Atletico of Simeone win without having a truly fantastic squad, but you can not make them win playing truly fantastic football, at least not the crazily high level that Guardiola wants from his players.
Of course but in my opinion you have to be able to manage every team to it's best if you want to be a top tier manager.
A good mechanic can get a higher performance out of a Ferrari but top mechanics transform a Toyota Corolla into a race winning car. That's how I see it

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just out of interest, which managers don’t want to play the best football in the world?