Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

Giggs86

Glad to see the Arab play thing being brought crashing back to Earth.
One down, one to go. Hope the other Arab play thing will suffer the same fate in the next round. Madrid vs City with Ronaldo having a worldie would be delicious.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
@Ishdalar
I don't wanna blow my own trumpet but I'm on record here backing an easy Madrid win. I don't think PSG have an answer to adversity other than swarming and dominating opponents which you just can't do at this level.
Madrid are a historic win in waiting for those English clubs imo, and the media fallout will be sickenly biblical.
Well, as long as Guardiola doesn't decide to play with KDB as a DM and subbing out Agüero for Danilo they might stand a better chance, in that way you have a point

Irrational.

One down, one to go. Hope the other Arab play thing will suffer the same fate in the next round. Madrid vs City with Ronaldo having a worldie would be delicious.
Here's hoping! They are horrible for the sport, no matter how beautiful football they play.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Well that was a proper spanking. That third goal was something else . The beauty of it all is Liverpool are now heading to Malaga for a five days abd we can rest players in the return leg. Also. Andy Robertson is a great player. Nine million was he ? All day la' .
Robertson has been so good, I keep hearing Liverpool fans saying they have two great LBs. No, you don´t. Moreno is still a headless chicken. Positional play/sense and decision-making is so big for a LB/RB, and Moreno has none.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Didn't watch the game but am glad for the scoreline. Always nice to see plastic twats lose.

Areola looks a bit shit on the 2nd and 3rd goals yet PSG fans seem to think he played well. Don't really understand that unless he pulled off 5+ top saves too.

Theonas

Scout
They don't have the personality and character any top team has in these kind of games.
I agree. I still wouldn't write them off as their individual quality even today is something else. They played better football for me today overall but as you say, there is something rotten there. One wonders if it is the result of not having any strong consistent core of players. They keep chopping and changing every year which cannot be a good thing when you see how long some of the Real, Barcelona, Bayern players have been together developing and forming that solid base.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The decisions that Madrid get in the CL are just something else. They're a great team anyway and then they get every dodgy decision go their way on top of that.
From a refereeing perspective, not sending off neymar was way worse than the penalties

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The changes of Lucas and Asensio arrived a little late, but they were decisive. Asensio has to play more.
The midfield was quite good, as well as Ramos and Marcelo.
I liked PSG, especially Rabiot.
Neymar creates a great feeling of danger when he drives the ball, but I think Nacho played a more than decent game.
Sometimes it seems that Mbappe contributes more even if he participates less.
There was a moment with the 1-1 in which Madrid were really bad. Bringing someone fresh could have been decisive for PSG.
Cristiano always appears when necessary. Time to pay him what he wants.
The result is very good besides I can see them scoring at least one goal.

Andersons Dietician

I know what you mean. I also don't like seeing players falling with some insignificant contact, but in this case, he was clearly pulled (as slightly as he did, but you could also argue that Kroos would be foolish to stay on his feet in such position).

Tbh I'm more shocked by the stupidity of PSG player. Absolutely necessary and Kroos would be closed in the next second by Alves.
Yeah it was total madness. I mean you see a lot of it outside the box and they don’t get called up, it’s just a light check or tug. However it is amazing that a professional would even take that risk. As I say that though flashes of Smalling pop in to my head.

Aboutreika18

Yep. And it reflects on the quality of the league. But it was a really bad night for Porto. I didn't expect it. I thought they would give Liverpool a good match, kinda like we did against Juventus and Barcelona this year. No excuses for that tactical setup and defensive performance though.
How did Conceição set up? They didn't go with only 2 in central midfield, did they? :nervous:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's never a good excuse. He was basically just running around like an idiot, considering he was so out of depth with his teammates tonight.
My reply didn't just stop at that now did it ? He's their most important player, the one who presses the most from the front. PSG lost that the moment he went off, that plus taking off Alves who was alright from the position and playing a rusty Meunier.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They tried early on but as soon as we scored they were forced to open up. We picked them off after that.
Porto started well but that goalkeeper blunder really demolished their moral.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
We can create a PSG Bingo for this summer, between the options we can add signing Tite to have Neymar happy and willing to stay, selling Cavani for a bag of peanuts or Signing 3 GK and 3 DM so they have options to choose next season

Andersons Dietician

I often like to imagine what would happen if a mate did that sort of thing in a 6-a side.
Aye that’s it exactly, rinsed for weeks on end would be my group of miscrants reaction. Then years later reminded of that time you went down like a sack of tatties from a breeze.

Aboutreika18

I can kind of see the logic of bringing on Meunier so that PSG can try and shut down Real's dangerous left flank with their two RBs.

But Cavani was the wrong player to take off. They lost his pressing from the front and started dropping deeper and deeper.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How did Conceição set up? They didn't go with only 2 in central midfield, did they? :nervous:
Conceição did the usual set up but Sérgio Oliveira isn't Danilo and Reyes couldn't replace Felipe, he was all over the place. Those are quality players and important part of Porto's team. No excuses about the attitude though. That and Conceição insisting on that GK. Sometimes you get what you deserve. Liverpool isn't Leipzig or Monaco. You pay the price when you play that way.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
My reply didn't just stop at that now did it ? He's their most important player, the one who presses the most from the front. PSG lost that the moment he went off, that plus taking off Alves who was alright from the position and playing a rusty Meunier.
Don't agree regarding Cavani, but fair enough, you are spot on regarding other changes that happened with subbing Cavani off.

gaucho_10

Not sure if serious but that's just ridiculous. Individually maybe, you are only behind Barcelona and that's just because they have Messi but other than that? don't be daft.
This squad won 3 CL's in last 4 years and you are calling me ridiculous and daft because I see us as favorites?

Whatever rocks your boat.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Football needs to bring in a system where you can retract/appeal yellow cards. The Rabiot yellow is an absolute disgrace. That should be reversed and issued to Modric.

deafepl

Nonsense he only takes jobs where he can use the academy and build the team from the ground up.
No, PSG is better than City when it comes to the academy, they are not performing at required level because of the manager they have.

Nonsense, City spent more over 500m on players, hardly played a player with more than 10+ appearance from the academy.