Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Basically he's facing his pre-mature mid-life crisis.

Plus you don't hear Messi taking a paycut
He's Ronaldo and he wants to remain so for longer than the world around him will allow. He has no interest in riding off into the sunset until the little Argentinian is no longer a threat/has done the same, and he's not prepared to relinquish anything which makes Ronaldo Ronaldo, which is a major ball ache once he starts playing up as we're most likely to see this season, unfortunately.

The narcissism that drives him is also a vacuum that disrupts so much of what he orbits. I doubt he'll ever have the humility or capacity to 'do his bit' in broader team-oriented setting - you can imagine even when/if he goes back to Sporting, he'll have to be centre stage or he'd retire, for example.

We're watching his paradox unfold as we get see what will yield in him as this window's end draws ever closer with no takers on his terms. I just fear we'll be the fall guy in the end with his PR team applying the gloss to why he opted to stay.

I just hope his narcissism manifests in a positive way as in him showing the clubs that shunned him what they could have had and proving to himself/the world he's still Ronaldo. It's evident we don't matter to him, but hopefully him serving himself can be beneficial to us in a roundabouts way. It's either that or he tanks us and makes the season all about him in the negative, which would be disastrous for the manager and the collective.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's Ronaldo and he wants to remain so for longer than the world around him will allow. He has no interest in riding off into the sunset until the little Argentinian is no longer a threat/has done the same, and he's not prepared to relinquish anything which makes Ronaldo Ronaldo, which is a major ball ache once he starts playing up as we're most likely to see this season, unfortunately.

The narcissism that drives him is also a vacuum that disrupts so much of what he orbits. I doubt he'll ever have the humility or capacity to 'do his bit' in broader team-oriented setting - you can imagine even when/if he goes back to Sporting, he'll have to be centre stage or he'd retire, for example.

We're watching his paradox unfold as we get see what will yield in him as this window's end draws ever closer with no takers on his terms. I just fear we'll be the fall guy in the end with his PR team applying the gloss to why he opted to stay.

I just hope his narcissism manifests in a positive way as in him showing the clubs that shunned him what they could have had and proving to himself/the world he's still Ronaldo. It's evident we don't matter to him, but hopefully him serving himself can be beneficial to us in a roundabouts way. It's either that or he tanks us and makes the season all about him in the negative, which would be disastrous for the manager and the collective.
Good insights.

Seems you understand narcisism pretty well!

Olecurls99

It's either that or he tanks us and makes the season all about him in the negative, which would be disastrous for the manager and the collective.
If he doesn't perform then he'll be dropped. Simple as that. I don't think he can do that much disruption from the bench especially if things are going well. Nobody will listen to him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'd worry that our board and leadership would apply some pressure to avoid the negative fallout of an unhappy Ronaldo.
Well, that is a worry.

However...my feeling is that this won't happen. Ronaldo was brought in under Woodward/Ole for one thing. Now, that doesn't mean the current top boys can just distance themselves from the whole business - but I personally believe ETH will have Murtough's (and Arnold's) support if he decides to use Ronaldo in a lesser role (or even more or less drop him). In fact, nothing else makes any sense - and if it should turn out that ETH is forced in any way to accommodate Ronaldo...well, then we're well and truly fecked as a club and that's that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Simple as that. I don't think he can do that much disruption from the bench especially if things are going well.
Yeah - this is the key, of course.

If ETH gets the likes of Martial and Rashford to perform - well, there you go: a tantrum throwing Ronaldo will get zero sympathy from anyone beyond a segment of fans that will become increasingly less relevant (and less vocal, you'd imagine) for every point we rack up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If he doesn't perform then he'll be dropped. Simple as that. I don't think he can do that much disruption from the bench especially if things are going well. Nobody will listen to him.
You can't play down the voice and influence Ronaldo has; he may be diminishing as a player, but his influence is still top notch and he could cause havoc from the bench if so inclined.

It's fanciful to think he'd just go along with being a team player and it'd take some serious powers of manipulation from the manager to get through to him that it could be beneficial. Perhaps constant whispers about top form and fitness for the World Cup could do the trick, but Ronaldo isn't getting phased out just like that if there's nothing in it for him.

Revaulx

Well, that is a worry.

However...my feeling is that this won't happen. Ronaldo was brought in under Woodward/Ole for one thing. Now, that doesn't mean the current top boys can just distance themselves from the whole business - but I personally believe ETH will have Murtough's (and Arnold's) support if he decides to use Ronaldo in a lesser role (or even more or less drop him). In fact, nothing else makes any sense - and if it should turn out that ETH is forced in any way to accommodate Ronaldo...well, then we're well and truly fecked as a club and that's that.
Without any grandstanding, Arnold has made it pretty clear that he wants to distance himself from the Woodward era; one of the ways he’s doing this is to let the footballing people do their jobs without interference. I’m absolutely confident he will stand firm with them over Ronaldo if it becomes necessary for him to do so.

The potential fly in the ointment is of course the Glazers. We don’t know yet how much confidence they have in Arnold; I suppose it’s possible that they might put pressure on him.

You can't play down the voice and influence Ronaldo has; he may be diminishing as a player, but his influence is still top notch and he could cause havoc from the bench if so inclined.

It's fanciful to think he'd just go along with being a team player and it'd take some serious powers of manipulation from the manager to get through to him that it could be beneficial. Perhaps constant whispers about top form and fitness for the World Cup could do the trick, but Ronaldo isn't getting phased out just like that if there's nothing in it for him.
If the squad is united under the manager, who in turn is backed by Arnold and, ultimately, the Glazers, it’s hard to see what havoc he could cause. The press will love it, certainly, and his fanboys will all be picking up their pitchforks, but if the club stands firm and the non-Ronaldo fanboy support rally round I’m not sure what he and Mendes can achieve.

On the subject of Mendes, his reputation as the supreme Machiavellian fixer will have taken a battering over this whole saga. His overestimation of Ronaldo’s pull has left him looking a bit of an idiot.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Without any grandstanding, Arnold has made it pretty clear that he wants to distance himself from the Woodward era; one of the ways he’s doing this is to let the footballing people do their jobs without interference. I’m absolutely confident he will stand firm with them over Ronaldo if it becomes necessary for him to do so.

The potential fly in the ointment is of course the Glazers. We don’t know yet how much confidence they have in Arnold; I suppose it’s possible that they might put pressure on him.
I think so too. My impression of Arnold is overall pretty positive so far - we'll see soon enough if that's misguided, but I'm at least willing to give him a chance.

As for the Glazers, they undoubtedly loved the idea of bringing Ronaldo back - for the brand and whatnot, but possibly also because they thought he'd have a Brady style impact on the team (they clearly don't know much about "soccer"). However, they have generally been hands-off - and I'd be very surprised if they didn't just let Arnold run things.

Revaulx

I think so too. My impression of Arnold is overall pretty positive so far - we'll see soon enough if that's misguided, but I'm at least willing to give him a chance.

As for the Glazers, they undoubtedly loved the idea of bringing Ronaldo back - for the brand and whatnot, but possibly also because they thought he'd have a Brady style impact on the team (they clearly don't know much about "soccer"). However, they have generally been hands-off - and I'd be very surprised if they didn't just let Arnold run things.
Well there were reports that having been completely hands-off with Woodward to start off with, they got increasingly involved in wanting sign-off for pretty much everything as time went by. Considering the low return we were getting from all that spending (yes I know it wasn’t “their”money but still…) that hardly seems unreasonable of them.

Let’s hope Arnold manages to get some quick wins and positive publicity for the club as soon as possible. That will make it more likely the Glazers will leave him alone. They already seem to be not standing in his way as he dismantles the remains of their Golden Boy Ed’s regime.

troylocker

No you’re talking out of your arse again. There’s no evidence to what you suggested, none whatsoever.
Except of course the results, chances created, chances conceded, the form of all our other players, every measurable team stat with and without him etc. Almost no evidence.....
The evidence is overwhelming, buddy. Overwhelming!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If the squad is united under the manager, who in turn is backed by Arnold and, ultimately, the Glazers, it’s hard to see what havoc he could cause. The press will love it, certainly, and his fanboys will all be picking up their pitchforks, but if the club stands firm and the non-Ronaldo fanboy support rally round I’m not sure what he and Mendes can achieve.
Having Ronaldo around sulking makes that incredibly difficult. We know there were divides in the camp last year and I doubt they’ve just disappeared - Ronaldo has disappeared at the moment but if he’s undermining the manager because he isn’t starting that’s a huge issue - you can say what you want about current Ronaldo but his past achievements mean he’s undoubtedly idolised by some members of this current group.

Revaulx

Having Ronaldo around sulking makes that incredibly difficult. We know there were divides in the camp last year and I doubt they’ve just disappeared - Ronaldo has disappeared at the moment but if he’s undermining the manager because he isn’t starting that’s a huge issue - you can say what you want about current Ronaldo but his past achievements mean he’s undoubtedly idolised by some members of this current group.
Maybe the Portuguese speaking contingent?

Bruno is the one player who had a legitimate claim last season that Ronaldo was negatively impacting his game. Dalot’s loyalty will surely be to ETH who obviously rates him. Telles is toast. Pereira has gone. I doubt Fred would be bothered.

Elanga clearly hit it off well with Ronnie. I can’t see him being a major player in the dressing room power group though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You mean our current player of the season? Ok.
Yes, he lost that priviledge the moment he decided he was better than the club and wanted to leave.

Anyway, we were 3rd without him and 6th with him. Team > individuals.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Ok, but Erik doesn't seem like the type to lie, or play mind games like that. No matter what people think of him, he's still a top player and I'd like to think that elite managers would prefer to try and work with him (and risk failing, like Ole) rather than giving up and thinking its too much liability.
I don't know about that. Going by what we're hearing seems like most top teams and managers have already figured out that a 37/38 years Ronaldo isn't worth taking upon. They know that no matter how much of a fitness freak Ronaldo is, no one beats father's time and opted to stay away.

mu4c_20le

I don't know about that. Going by what we're hearing seems like most top teams and managers have already figured out that a 37/38 years Ronaldo isn't worth taking upon. They know that no matter how much of a fitness freak Ronaldo is, no one beats father's time and opted to stay away.
Well Iwould say signing someone is a bit more complex than simply playing someone who is already at the club. I can't see ETH wanting to sign him if he wasn't already here, but I think top coaches will try to work with him rather than give up and get rid.

flappyjay

I think if he was a proper 9 like zlatan for instance there might be a market. There is also the fact that he is mainly a poacher, no hold play or link up play to talk of. He would probably play best in a 2 striker formation with a striker who can do the donkey work. Like Lukaku and lautaro.

He'sRaldo

Fans can be such drama queens at times.

If Ronaldo stays, then he’ll adjust his game to EtH the same way he did for Ralf. If EtH is a good manager, he’ll be able to use Ronaldo (3rd top scorer last season) against a good chunk of the league. And if Ronaldo is dropped for Martial, he will sulk yes, but he’ll be motivated to outperform him and win his place.

And if he goes, he goes. None of this is problematic.

It doesn’t always have to be this dramatic all or nothing situation we’ve dreamed up in our heads.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Well Iwould say signing someone is a bit more complex than simply playing someone who is already at the club. I can't see ETH wanting to sign him if he wasn't already here, but I think top coaches will try to work with him rather than give up and get rid.
I do agree that coaches who already have Ronaldo on their hands would love to work with him but on the flip side is that he holds too much power, especially here at United which means the manager would have a hard time reigning in on Ronaldo if things aren't working out.

I'm afraid Ten Hag has too much faith in Ronaldo's fitness. He has claimed that he expects Ronaldo to press all day but I'm sure most of us are skeptical of that and once Ten Hag himself comes to that realization what would he do? Would he drop Ronaldo? Urge him to press if he doesn't want to, or would he bench him which in itself is another issue, especially if you factor in the media that would jump on those type of stories.

Ronaldo himself doesn't seem to believe that he's slowed down tremendously because age is affecting him and believes he should be able to play every single game 90 minutes and the few times he got subbed out last season he never looked happy and even had a sideline clash with Rangnick for subbing him out instead of the kids. Then you have to factor in the media, the first time Ole decided to rest Ronaldo, the media were in full frenzy with the likes of Keane frothing at the mouth and wouldn't stop complaining about it which put pressure on Ole who eventually ended up being reluctant to rest or sub out Ronaldo.

I personally simply don't wish any new manager to be given that burden when starting out at a new team. It's beyond just Ronaldo's feelings but the media and other things surrounding every slightly non favorable decision made against him.

OpenIntrovert

If Ronaldo stays, then he’ll adjust his game to EtH the same way he did for Ralf. If EtH is a good manager, he’ll be able to use Ronaldo (3rd top scorer last season) against a good chunk of the league. And if Ronaldo is dropped for Martial, he will sulk yes, but he’ll be motivated to outperform him and win his place.

It doesn’t always have to be this dramatic all or nothing situation we’ve dreamed up in our heads.
Good post! Ronaldo will perform according to ETH's demands, otherwise he will have to pick himself up and do it. It is as simple as that. He may be demanding on the pitch, but otherwise he is a professional who does not interfere with the manager's plan.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes, he lost that priviledge the moment he decided he was better than the club and wanted to leave.

Anyway, we were 3rd without him and 6th with him. Team > individuals.
Well to be fair he has enjoyed more success than our whole team combined, but sure I agree team > individuals, always.

But just remember, without him playing/starting last season we were fecking shite and only managed 1 win in 11 games under Ole/Rangnick. This new season we will have ETH here to build for the future, so I don't really care that much if he choose to stay or leave. I just hope we will be successful soon, and Ronaldo to end his career anywhere in higher note.

city-puma

Well to be fair he has enjoyed more success than our whole team combined, but sure I agree team > individuals, always.

But just remember, without him playing/starting last season we were fecking shite and only managed 1 win in 11 games under Ole/Rangnick. This new season we will have ETH here to build for the future, so I don't really care that much if he choose to stay or leave. I just hope we will be successful soon, and Ronaldo to end his career anywhere in higher note.
I know you are a big Ronaldo fan. But, you need to fix your memory, and don’t be fooled by your illusion. We had good start in the league. Two wins and one draw. Ronaldo started to play and two wins. Then, everything started falling apart.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I know you are a big Ronaldo fan. But, you need to fix your memory, and don’t be fooled by your illusion. We had good start in the league. Two wins and one draw. Ronaldo started to play and two wins. Then, everything started falling apart.
A good start against Leeds, where Pogba has made 4 assists and has been superb in that game, thats about it. 1 wins in 11 games without Ronaldo playing/starting since joining, and we have been same shite without him, thats a fact too.

Greck

Ralf was the one who adjusted to Ronaldo. He said as much in his exit interview that he regretted it.

A lot of the high maintenence isn't perceived or fabricated. It's factual. The whole world saw him throwing tantrums after being subbed and we know he was never subbed off after the event. The player is asking CL clubs for a starting gig and half a million quid a week, it's not make believe to say he will demand to be catered to like he always has. If he didn't he wouldn't even return bevause someone else would have snagged him if he had more modest demands and was ready to be lower maintenance.

FatTails

I just don’t want to watch him freak out on the bench like he did against Brentford, and ETH having to answer 562 questions after about Ronaldo. It’s tiresome and not what the team needs

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He can't play on the left at his age. Left back would be fed to the Wolves.
Yeah I know, he can't play anywhere anymore, but could get games on the left against lesser teams at OT.

Are you going to track back for him?
For some reason this really made me laugh out loud :D
As if I would cover for lazy bastard, either he runs or sits on the bench!

honirelandboy

Will you stop he’ll always get goals as he wants everything to go through him but will ruin the flow of the team. He’s turning into Andy Carroll. Ronaldo is a Narc and is 38 this season.Martial is looking like he is proving his worth and would rather give him a chance for 7 years than look after Ronaldos ego for one more year before he goes back to sporting.

MrEleson

Ronaldo definitely adjusted his game to Ralf and when all the criticism of his pressing came in. You can check throughout last season’s performance thread people acknowledging his increased effort.

There was even a match (I think Chelsea it was) where he was constantly stationed at left back to cover for Rashford who wasn’t tracking back. But football fans have the memory of a goldfish and all that.

Greck

Ronaldo definitely adjusted his game to Ralf and when all the criticism of his pressing came in. You can check throughout last season’s performance thread people acknowledging his increased effort.

There was even a match (I think Chelsea it was) where he was constantly stationed at left back to cover for Rashford who wasn’t tracking back. But football fans have the memory of a goldfish and all that.
There's some irony in chalking this to a low attention span while saying this. Ronaldo had effort spikes from time to time where he'd put together a complete 90 minutes then regress the next game. Anyone who paid attention beyond the one game spike saw this happen severally. Having the worst pressing stats in europe doesn't even happen if he actually frequently sustained it beyond individual games.

Kaos

So once Mendes ultimately fails in his quest to whore him out to any suitors, I'm assuming Ronaldo comes back into the team with no preseason, no acclimatising to Ten Hag's methods, and just expects to start games again?

Real Name

Maybe as transfer window shutters he'll be more and more desperate to move so he'll take whatever is in offer.

So once Mendes ultimately fails in his quest to whore him out to any suitors, I'm assuming Ronaldo comes back into the team with no preseason, no acclimatising to Ten Hag's methods, and just expects to start games again?
Of course.

sglowrider

And throws a strop when he runs out of gas and gets taken off.

Olecurls99

There's some irony in chalking this to a low attention span while saying this. Ronaldo had effort spikes from time to time where he'd put together a complete 90 minutes then regress the next game. Anyone who paid attention beyond the one game spike saw this happen severally. Having the worst pressing stats in europe doesn't even happen if he actually frequently sustained it beyond individual games.
:lol: Worst pressing stats

And critics have low attention spans:lol:

honirelandboy

Who knows what could happen, He's 37, six months at that age could be the difference of him having to go to the MLS or back to Sporting.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
And throws a strop when he runs out of gas and gets taken off.
Should he be starting for us though? He doesn't have that leverage anymore. Do you guys really think that in his mind if he had to stay he would still be expecting to start? Even after so publicly disrespecting United?

sglowrider

Should he be starting for us though? He doesn't have that leverage anymore. Do you guys really think that in his mind if he had to stay he would still be expecting to start? Even after so publicly disrespecting United?
At 400k/week he would be an expensive bench warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.