Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That's why we are so easy to defend. We are too predictable.
What a load of rubbish. We created plenty that game, the finishing was just off. That has nothing to do with how well they defended (they didn't).

If you're gonna play Ronaldo I think it's a good idea to try and find him in the box. He just had a really bad game and should've been subbed off.

soapythecat

Whilst Dalot isn’t ripping up trees for us, he’s much better suited to RR’s style of football than AWB. Much better. He’s confident and again look like he’s enjoying it - something you can’t say about AWB. His emergence under RR means that the RB position is not something we immediately need to be addressing - loads more positions in need of surgery before we look here.
Dalot is currently a 6/7 out of 10 every game. Steady, reliable and much needed.

Red00012

His crossing is rubbish . He’s a slight upgrade on AWB that’s it really

slored1

I can't believe some of you are hating on Dalot. He's young and technically already at a very high level, very impressed by him since his inclusion in the team. Should have had at least one assist on Friday.

Litch

It’s funny as I like him but I’m not sure whether that’s cause AWB has been so bad. It’s so easy to polarise your view of players when in reality, he’s not the answer either. If people want to use the barometer of the 3 top teams and competing for the league then Dalot isn’t it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He carries the ball well and has a good first touch, but beyond that his final delivery is about as good (or bad) as Wan Bissaka’s. Both are okay-ish, but we have so many holes in the team already that it’s far down the list.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Until December people were saying he is shittier than AWB. Now the narrative has changed, he is only little better than AWB - that's just after a run of 10 games. AWB got 3 years to show his ability .

So the ideal scenario would be minimum 6-8 months for this kid too. He deserves it.

Dan_F

Until December people were saying he is shittier than AWB. Now the narrative has changed, he is only little better than AWB - that's just after a run of 10 games. AWB got 3 years to show his ability .

So the ideal scenario would be minimum 6-8 months for this kid too. He deserves it.
Agreed, although we’ll see how he gets on against the likes of Salah, Mahrez etc in March, rather than what he’s had to do so far. Hopefully with more game time and confidence we won’t see anything like we got defensively against Villarreal.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Controversial but I think AWB and Dalot are both solid and perfectly adequate - AWB was developing nicely until this season where his form has nose dived and he’s had injuries. Dalot has surprised me with how solid he’s been defensively - as he gets more confident his attacking game will improve. Add in Laird and the fact they’re all young then RB is the least of our worries.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Controversial but I think AWB and Dalot are both solid and perfectly adequate - AWB was developing nicely until this season where his form has nose dived and he’s had injuries. Dalot has surprised me with how solid he’s been defensively - as he gets more confident his attacking game will improve. Add in Laird and the fact they’re all young then RB is the least of our worries.
I think describing him as 'developing nicely' is really pushing the definition of that term. He was 21 when he joined, he's 24 now. He played 100 games in those first two seasons and I honestly don't see him as being significantly better now than he was after he first signed. A marginal improvement (if that's even what has happened, which i personally don't see) should be the absolute bare minimum expectation. Arguably, given the expected trajectory of a footballer between those ages, you could say he's fallen below the expected upward curve. Just my take, and i don't exactly watch every utd game, or pay particular attention to him when i do watch. He does enough defensively that i would certainly not call him a failed signing, but Utd thrive when they get players who go above and beyond normal standards, who strive to become better and better at all aspects of the game. I don't see that with him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
In terms of end product Dalot really isn't doing much at all but he offers a lot more on the ball than AWB in other ways, most notably in terms of actually being able to move the ball forward down our right flank.

This season's stats in percentile terms:

Progressive passes - AWB 18th, Dalot 82nd
Progressive carries - AWB 58th, Dalot 81st
Passes into the final third - AWB 28th, Dalot 69th
Passes into the penalty area - AWB 18th, Dalot 89th
Through balls - AWB 29th, Dalot 86th
Passes under pressure - AWB 53rd, Dalot 86th.
That's because Dalot played twice less minutes/games than Bissaka. If we use per 90 min on one of those stat (progressive pass), Dalot made 4.69 per 90 progressive passes this season and only Matic, Bruno, and Pogba made more per 90 which means he's currently ranked 4th in our squad for per 90 progressive passer. While Bissaka made 2.62 per 90 progressive passes this season. You can go look at the other stats using 90 mins and I wouldn't be surprised if Dalot has much higher than Bissaka.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dalot has been good so far. It's just his delivery is not up to par to the likes of James, Trent, and Cancelo quality, nowhere closed. We need those type of quality full backs because we are trying to compete with them. But I have to say I am more impressed with Dalot than our left back options right now.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think describing him as 'developing nicely' is really pushing the definition of that term. He was 21 when he joined, he's 24 now. He played 100 games in those first two seasons and I honestly don't see him as being significantly better now than he was after he first signed. A marginal improvement (if that's even what has happened, which i personally don't see) should be the absolute bare minimum expectation. Arguably, given the expected trajectory of a footballer between those ages, you could say he's fallen below the expected upward curve. Just my take, and i don't exactly watch every utd game, or pay particular attention to him when i do watch. He does enough defensively that i would certainly not call him a failed signing, but Utd thrive when they get players who go above and beyond normal standards, who strive to become better and better at all aspects of the game. I don't see that with him.
Okay. I do watch every United game and he was developing nicely. He scored 2 goals and got 4 assists in 34 games - the highest contribution in his career. He’d improved on the ball hence his highest ever pass completion - and was dealing far better with teams targeting him as a trigger to press (he’d come a long way since Southampton home during lockdown was a nightmare). Incidentally until this season AWB had always averaged above 7 on whoscored over a season - he’s ridiculously underrated because he has an awkward style about him. Dalot is definitely better passing from deep but AWB is miles better at driving forward with the ball and winning the ball back high. This season he’s been poor which on this place means he’s always been shit and is now finished. At 24.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Why?

Abhinav

His overall touch is good and he has been doing reasonably well under Rangnick. One thing I did notice which annoyed me quite a bit. Atleast 5 or 6 times he got the ball from the midfield with space to run down the ball wing, but instead of opening his body, his first touch was inevitably leading him back inside. This cut out all his options and he would then just make a 5 yard pass back. Really killed the opportunity to stretch them.

golden_blunder

Staff
Because he is our player ? Because he never had a consistent run of games ? Because he is only 22 ? Because he has shown improvement when given a run of games ?

Is it really hard to understand?
No I just think the word “deserve” is quite strong. I don’t mind giving everyone fair chance but I was just curious why you said “he deserves it”. I don’t feel that he’s been so outstanding so far that he “deserves” it.

on a separate note, I thought Boro’s RB/RWB was good going forward

bond19821982

No I just think the word “deserve” is quite strong. I don’t mind giving everyone fair chance but I was just curious why you said “he deserves it”. I don’t feel that he’s been so outstanding so far that he “deserves” it.

on a separate note, I thought Boro’s RB/RWB was good going forward
Fair enough but you are saying this just after 10 games. People were hell bent on justifying AWBs performances for 3 years stating he will improve. Not saying Dalot needs 3 years but half of what we gave to AWB, is something which we should give.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's because Dalot played twice less minutes/games than Bissaka. If we use per 90 min on one of those stat (progressive pass), Dalot made 4.69 per 90 progressive passes this season and only Matic, Bruno, and Pogba made more per 90 which means he's currently ranked 4th in our squad for per 90 progressive passer. While Bissaka made 2.62 per 90 progressive passes this season. You can go look at the other stats using 90 mins and I wouldn't be surprised if Dalot has much higher than Bissaka.
The stats I posted show Dalot much higher than AWB, that's my point. They're the percentile numbers.

Long Time Red

I think people are going to have to learn to tolerate AWB and Dalot for a long time because with Greenwood gone we really can't afford to upgrade at RB.

They are sufficient.

goptun

In terms of end product Dalot really isn't doing much at all but he offers a lot more on the ball than AWB in other ways, most notably in terms of actually being able to move the ball forward down our right flank.

This season's stats in percentile terms:

Progressive passes - AWB 18th, Dalot 82nd
Progressive carries - AWB 58th, Dalot 81st
Passes into the final third - AWB 28th, Dalot 69th
Passes into the penalty area - AWB 18th, Dalot 89th
Through balls - AWB 29th, Dalot 86th
Passes under pressure - AWB 53rd, Dalot 86th.
Jesus Christ, that is absurd. What the hell has AWB been doing in training that's afforded him so much leeway for so long? I know this has been an especially bad run of form for him, but his deficiencies on the ball have stuck out since he joined.

The numbers overwhelmingly back up the eye test, which begs the question of why he's had such fierce acolytes on here for so long?

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
Fair enough but you are saying this just after 10 games. People were hell bent on justifying AWBs performances for 3 years stating he will improve. Not saying Dalot needs 3 years but half of what we gave to AWB, is something which we should give.
For what it’s worth AWB was developing until this season. Like others he regressed and has struggled since.

my hope is Laird can overcome his injury problems because I see him as our answer to Reece James

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Jesus Christ, that is absurd. What the hell has AWB been doing in training that's afforded him so much leeway for so long? I know this has been an especially bad run of form for him, but his deficiencies on the ball have stuck out since he joined.

The numbers overwhelmingly back up the eye test, which begs the question of why he's had such fierce acolytes on here for so long?
Yeah tbf this season AWB's stats are particularly low. Last season he was:

Progressive passes - 63rd
Progressive carries - 78th
Passes into the final third - 55th
Passes into the penalty area - 50th
Through balls - 25th
Passes under pressure - 58th

So still notably worse than Dalot has been this season, but not quite as terrible. But then Dalot isn't all that good a fullback either so....

Seij

He (AWB) looks a tiny bit better offensively and worse defensively. I think he's actually regressed since coming to us.

CloneMC16

I think people are going to have to learn to tolerate AWB and Dalot for a long time because with Greenwood gone we really can't afford to upgrade at RB.

They are sufficient.
Agreed. We will have too many other things to fix. Both will be here next season. I think we're fine with what we have there. They're not TAA, Cancelo or James, but they'll do the job for another season. If Dalot continues to play like this, he will keep this spot his own. What we really need from him is to improve his final ball.

bond19821982

There is an athletic article about him being an attacking threat for us. Can anyone post just the pointers ? Curious to know how's he improving from a stat standpoint.

Based Adnan

I'm surprised people are critiquing his chance creation for us considering he created 3 good chances vs Middlesbrough with 1 being an absolute sitter for Bruno

If people expect every single cross to be perfect then it won't happen. TAA consistently mishits crosses. Same for James.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's pathetic he had to go to Milan to get that insight, Maldini or not.
Wasn't there a tweet last season where it suggested Ole was frustrated with Dalot for not closing down players quick enough or something?

Red00012

Wasn't there a tweet last season where it suggested Ole was frustrated with Dalot for not closing down players quick enough or something?
Dalot could have been the new Cafu at training Ole wasn’t giving him a chance to prove himself and that’s that.

Ole was AWB for life

acnumber9

The perfect illustration of how if you say something often enough that people will accept it as fact. He’s useless going forward and he’s a terrible crosser.

Status
Not open for further replies.