Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

Had a good game despite the horrid crossing. Carried the ball well and didn't give Cornet a sniff.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He was jaw-droppingly good in the first half. Very impressive and entertaining

SATA

Don't know what he's good at. Sure it's obvious he came back from Milan an improved player but still it's laughable standards at times. That cross right at the end was hilariously horrific that he couldn't believe he even attempted that

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Don't know what he's good at. Sure it's obvious he came back from Milan an improved player but still it's laughable standards at times. That cross right at the end was hilariously horrific that he couldn't believe he even attempted that
He can carey the ball upfield, which is something we sorely lacked in AWB. He has quite good progressive passing with both feet as well. His crossing needs some serious sorting though, how hard can it be?

ti vu

He can carey the ball upfield, which is something we sorely lacked in AWB. He has quite good progressive passing with both feet as well. His crossing needs some serious sorting though, how hard can it be?
Must be very difficult. We have had first hand experience with the lack of crossing ability among our players over the years. That stretched back to final years under SAF.

The only one that ever showed some sign of improvement is Shaw and still his crossing is very subpar in comparison to the good one n the business. Shaw's crossing is serviceable but not very defense open up threatening majority of the time.

On the positive sign, Dalot crossing beat the first man more often than not. Perhaps, some more crossing special training would help reducing the power in it, and let it drop in attack area instead. Ronaldo shooting used to be wild too. Then with training, he got better control of his shooting. Perhaps something to do with technique, power controlling?

jesperjaap

Carrying the ball for me is the only thing he does well. His progressive passing is as woeful as his crossing, really dont know where you are seeing these passes, he gives the ball away everytime he tries something progressive. He cant tackle without fouling, personally even in hi scurrent form I would start Bissaka over Dalot, he simpyl isnt anywhere near good enough.

ash_86

Couple of things he needs to work on. One is crossing which is abysmal. He does the ground crosses better but the lobbed ones are really really bad. Secondly , he never seem to be in the right flank holding the width and comes infield way too much. Yesterday there was a point where Bruno received the ball on the right near the box and was looking for a overlapping run from Dalot. Dalot was standing right next to him and we lost a good crossing opportunity. These needs to be worked on and he should be holding the width and pinging crosses across the box.

Banana Republic

The crossing has been very poor, but it’s not as if he’s never put in a good cross, because he has on the odd occasion.
He has the capability and we’ve seen a few top quality crosses from this lad (there was a diagonal one to Ronaldo in the Middlesbrough game that Ronnie failed to get fully on to), it’s just that those good crosses are a 1 in 10 rarity ATM.
At 22 yrs old, Dalot needs to practice, practice, practice on those skills.

Davie Moyes

Can't understand most of the negative comments apart from the crossing (same issue for rest of team). He's done really well since coming in and been a pleasant surprise.

Much more comfortable in possession than AWB and has been decent defensively.

Litch

Sometimes as fans we talk some players up because we hate the player in that position. Lindeloff is probably playing as well as he did last season when people still hated him but because Harry is in terrible form, he’s been talked up. Same with Dalot, the run of games has helped to see his qualities going forward which were always there but in reality is only AWB void of any confidence thats talked up Dalots game.
AWB only had one trick, but at least it was a world class one…..

Devil may care

Can't understand most of the negative comments apart from the crossing (same issue for rest of team). He's done really well since coming in and been a pleasant surprise.

Much more comfortable in possession than AWB and has been decent defensively.
The Caf is always like this when we are having a particulalry bad spell, looking through the threads after last night every player bar Sancho and Varane needs replacing in a £800M summer spending spree. He was fine last night and while maybe not the long term RB he's far from a main issue at the moment.

Davie Moyes

I’m fairly certain I witnessed him being very good at crossing when he first arrived…it was the only thing I liked about him. He’s really improving in other areas though - fair play to him.
That's true actually well remembered. That shows he's got in him and hopefully can get it back soon.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thought he played very well bar the crossing. I actually quite like the positions he takes up infield as he’s actually a pretty decent passer. Feel like that then let’s Rashford go on the outside and whip in a cross of get off a shot.

Trex

Dalot brings a lot to this team, especially now were we are using Pogba- Bruno as double 8s, he is capable of filling the midfield position when they push forward, finding progressive passes and time driving runs, for a 22 year old, he is doing well, I don't get the criticism,obviously he needs to improve his crosses but even now he's been one of our best performers since Rangnick came in.

Abraxas

Carrying the ball for me is the only thing he does well. His progressive passing is as woeful as his crossing, really dont know where you are seeing these passes, he gives the ball away everytime he tries something progressive. He cant tackle without fouling, personally even in hi scurrent form I would start Bissaka over Dalot, he simpyl isnt anywhere near good enough.
What are you talking about? His progressive passing is good and backed up statistically. If he gave it away every time that would be impossible unless Dalot is capable of stat altering magic. He's in a decent percentile for most technical stats and some defensive ones he rates highly.

I don't know what you're watching to be honest, his current form is better than the standards AWB had been setting which were not only subpar on the ball but distracted and complacent. All this isn't necessarily indicative of Dalot being a long term number 1 choice but it's what we have for now.

jesperjaap

What are you talking about? His progressive passing is good and backed up statistically. If he gave it away every time that would be impossible unless Dalot is capable of stat altering magic. He's in a decent percentile for most technical stats and some defensive ones he rates highly.

I don't know what you're watching to be honest, his current form is better than the standards AWB had been setting which were not only subpar on the ball but distracted and complacent. All this isn't necessarily indicative of Dalot being a long term number 1 choice but it's what we have for now.
Ok, you keep using your stats, I will use my eyes, he is a piss poor right back who doesnt start for any of the sides around us in the league, not one

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His crossing is bad which is why I'm still not totally convinced if he's the guy we should rely on as our no 1 right back. Other than that, he looks promising. Good footwork, can keep possession while under pressure, defensively he has improved massively compared to when he was under Ole.

lost7

Never seen a full back with worse throws in my life. We genuinely lost the ball 3/4 times from some pathetic thows from him yesterday.

I really like his dribbling though, he's got an excellent controll of the ball

Abraxas

Ok, you keep using your stats, I will use my eyes, he is a piss poor right back who doesnt start for any of the sides around us in the league, not one
You can use your eyes but when the findings don't correlate with demonstrable numbers it is clearly going to be pointed out. The statistics are not compiled from thin air, they are from passes that are deemed progressive according to parameters that are then completed. Whereas your assertion that he can't find any progressive pass is based on absolutely nothing reliable, probably confirmation bias, tunnel vision or just purely made up.

I don't disagree that he wouldn't start for many around us, but it's besides the point as we can only start the men we have available.

NZT-One

You can use your eyes but when the findings don't correlate with demonstrable numbers it is clearly going to be pointed out. The statistics are not compiled from thin air, they are from passes that are deemed progressive according to parameters that are then completed. Whereas your assertion that he can't find any progressive pass is based on absolutely nothing reliable, probably confirmation bias, tunnel vision or just purely made up.

I don't disagree that he wouldn't start for many around us, but it's besides the point as we can only start the men we have available.
At the end of the day an old rule applies here as well: it is way easier to be better in something compared to somebody else than it is to be good in that regard.
Dalot may be alright compared to this seasons version of AWB. Probably last seasons as well. But that doesn't mean, he is necessarily a great player. I guess, this brings the arguments to the thread. He might be the best right back we have currently, but in a serious evaluation of the squad, the position probably needs an upgrade.

Personally, I'd try to sell Dalot, make some money. There is no way we can get rid if AWB without a serious hit so he is here to stay. Depending on the scouting department thinking that there is a realistic chance for AWB to improve either bring in a veteran or bring in a new starting RB. I doubt that Dalot is significantly better than Williams anyway. Not to the extent that it would be sensible to not cash in the small international reputation he has when we are in need of a serious upgrade. Missing out on Trippier is very unfortunate in my eyes.

mavradal

He improves with almost every game he's playing, Burnley did a great job at marking players in the box so most of the crosses were bound to fail.

FrantikChicken

Dalot brings a lot to this team, especially now were we are using Pogba- Bruno as double 8s, he is capable of filling the midfield position when they push forward, finding progressive passes and time driving runs, for a 22 year old, he is doing well, I don't get the criticism,obviously he needs to improve his crosses but even now he's been one of our best performers since Rangnick came in.
I think a lot of people here are forgetting that he's 22. I'm personally excited to see how he will continue improving with consistent playing time

Marwood

Frustrating thing with his crossing is the main problem is easily cureable. Just take a bit of sting out of them Diego. He can clearly wrap his foot around a ball and put a bit of shape on a cross.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The stats clearly disagree:

Dalot vs Wan-Bissaka
Dribbles attempted per 90 mins 1.85 vs 2.75
Successful dribbles per 90 mins 0.74 vs 1.74
Success rate 40% vs 63.4%

As much as Dalot looks easier on the eye, statistically speaking he's not really superior to AWB in any category this season and AWB is having a shit season compared to the last 2.

AWB has played against much tougher opposition too.

Dalot may turn out to be a better player, but he's not better yet.
He's definitely the better player, unless you're hellbent on using cherry picked stats.

Succesful dribbles are a meaningless, it's just means he ran past a man with the ball. If all his follow up passes are shite, it doesn't amount to anything.

AWB regularly botches simple basic passes. He's literally had games where all his simple passes in the final 3rd didn't arrive.

Dalot on the other hand can complete simple passes but will mess up when he goes for more difficult stuff. This means he hasn't been impactful in the final 3rd, but he's been invaluable in the build up.

He's also a much better defender in literally every regard with the exception of one on one defending and sliding tackles.

There's a reason RR keeps picking him.

RashyGiggsy

At the end of the day an old rule applies here as well: it is way easier to be better in something compared to somebody else than it is to be good in that regard.
Dalot may be alright compared to this seasons version of AWB. Probably last seasons as well. But that doesn't mean, he is necessarily a great player. I guess, this brings the arguments to the thread. He might be the best right back we have currently, but in a serious evaluation of the squad, the position probably needs an upgrade.

Personally, I'd try to sell Dalot, make some money. There is no way we can get rid if AWB without a serious hit so he is here to stay. Depending on the scouting department thinking that there is a realistic chance for AWB to improve either bring in a veteran or bring in a new starting RB. I doubt that Dalot is significantly better than Williams anyway. Not to the extent that it would be sensible to not cash in the small international reputation he has when we are in need of a serious upgrade. Missing out on Trippier is very unfortunate in my eyes.
Can't agree more. Dalot is playing better than AWB, but right back remains a weak position. Watch the games! Whether it is Luke Shaw or Alex Telles, or whether it is Sancho, Rashford, or Elanga, we have been having much more success attacking down the left side rather than the right. Dalot does not automatically lose the ball after being in possession for over a few seconds like AWB seemed to do, but his crosses are typically destined for the fans in the seats and his passing is lame.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I think a lot of people here are forgetting that he's 22. I'm personally excited to see how he will continue improving with consistent playing time
Same. He’s been solid since coming into the team. Needs to improve a few things but they are things that come hand in hand with things like movement and players getting into good positions. It’ll come, hopefully. His passing is also pretty good most of the time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think Dalot is playing great by any means, but earlier in the season and in the last season it was obvious that teams pressed that side so high and it was obvious that teams attacked us through the side the most(someone correct me if there are some stats about this), but lately I can't remember anyone targeting that side ever since Dalot quickly settled there after nervousness in first one or two games.

Maybe it's just coincidence or smaller sample of games, but at least that's how it looks for me.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought crossing was "his thing" When people would criticize AWB it was often in relation to his attacking output, and how Dalot (who maybe not be as good as him defensively) was so much better in that respect.

For what it's worth, I think he's been solid since coming in. But his attacking output has been a massive disappointment.

jesperjaap

Well it is opinion after all. I personalyl hate the over use of stats nowadays though. Lets be honest, you can always find or use certain stats to back an argument, they can be misleading. Not saying that this is what yo uare doing. I genuinely would stat Bissaka over Dalot any day of the week even in his current form, and I just dont see any right backs he is definately better than. He carris the ball ok, but I really see nothing creative or end product....I mean what is a progressive pass, playign the ball 10 yards forward? That can mislead stats, he simply doenst create, he is no better for me than Bissaka in tha tdepartment and we slate Bissaka. WHy didnt Milan want to keep him if he is any good?

acnumber9

but lately I can't remember anyone targeting that side ever since Dalot quickly settled there after nervousness in first one or two games.
You must have a short memory. Villa battered us down that side second half. The last two goals we’ve conceded have both come down that flank with Dalot in no mans land.

Status
Not open for further replies.