Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I feel really bad for him. Right decision or not it needed to come to him directly and not be leaked out like this. Must be a horrible feeling to have knowing you'll be sacked and have to leave your home, friends, etc.. and everyone knew before you did.

tjb

Was always going to happen. It is sad that things did not work out with Ten Hag, he looked so promising, and I feel sorry for him. Let us hope for a last high note in his tenure.
It's not sad. He was poor for months. Didn't even try to change anything tactically when he saw things weren't working out, assuming he'd stay regardless of poor performance. The arrogance was a lot and he showed why United needs to get away from the Manager first culture. We needed him to teach us that lesson. If given the chance, the club and fans would let everything fall apart to save face and back the manager regardless of performance and results. Hence we NEED strong figures to ensure that the club and fans are protected from poor managers

Kaos

Going to be a bit sad watching him tomorrow. More so knowing he'll likely be watching his team being passed around like a dog toy on the Wembley turf on his final outing.

Herman Toothrot

I think it is a bit poor but have to agree with this.

This is spot on. Grieve for Ten Hag if you must, but he'll be compensated with millions after delivering United's worst season of the modern era. He also gets a one-off hit at ending with the F.A Cup. We can't expect to lose out on a manager to be nice.

Rojofiam

I didn't watch or see myself, see it on discord.
Did you see the clip where he claimed we were going for Southgate and that he heard it from a reliable source? :lol: Just to convert a few more fans into being pro-ETH.

He's such a shameless person

crossy1686

career ending
There were rumours in the media previously of players at United not liking his training methods and finding him too much like a school teacher. Mind this was at the height of toxicity and inner leaks. Hopefully most of those players have gone but as anyone knows from a workplace it only takes one toxic character to infect a workplace.

I’m playing devils advocate because I’d love him here.
This was when Lingard was dropping bombs once a week, and the criticism, which was valid at the time, was that his sessions were too much like reserve team sessions after he'd just been promoted to a first team coach. I'm sure that isn't the case anymore and he's gone on to be a more than competent coach in that department. Plus, this time he has a massive amount of support from the incoming structural changes.

abailey123

I think this week has probably forced our hand. If McKenna is the man, we don’t want to run the risk of losing him. I’m surprised it’s happening with Ten Hag having a year to run (why pay compo twice when you cut ties for nothing next year?) is the way I thought ineos would go.
Ten Hag will win things at other clubs no doubt. Managing a club our size through the transition above him must be so difficult but I sensed he knew this was coming with how personal brand aware his last few pressers have been

crossy1686

career ending
Going to be a bit sad watching him tomorrow. More so knowing he'll likely be watching his team being passed around like a dog toy on the Wembley turf on his final outing.
Nah it's going to be a great send off. We all know whats happening afterwards so there's zero room for ill feeling, just good vibes and positivity for everyone involved. Unless we lose 10-0...

Ace

Good riddance to our worst ever manager. Hoping he can go out on a high note, but our performances don't suggest much optimism.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think this week has probably forced our hand. If McKenna is the man, we don’t want to run the risk of losing him. I’m surprised it’s happening with Ten Hag having a year to run (why pay compo twice when you cut ties for nothing next year?) is the way I thought ineos would go.
Ten Hag will win things at other clubs no doubt. Managing a club our size through the transition above him must be so difficult but I sensed he knew this was coming with how personal brand aware his last few pressers have been
Maybe the Glazers have had a whip round.

Drifter

American
It was inevitable, but the timing was terrible. I hope we go out and win it for him and then get rid of a chunk of them.

stevoc

I wanted him gone but why on earth would you wait until a day before the fa cup final to announce it
The only reason I can think of is to get the news out there on the off chance we win.

Could you imagine if there wasn't a peep about it this week, we won and then announced his sacking right after?

Don't agree with it if that was the thinking but it's the only reason I can think to leak/brief/get the news out there before the final.

stevoc

Well that's what everyone has assumed and said, but United shouldn't allow a story like that to stand unopposed today. Whoever has fed that to Steinberg should be binned off even before Ten Hag.
What if it was Jim?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He won't be sacked, he will leave by mutual agreement.

stevoc

Then he's a cnut. But we knew that anyway. It would be an act of self-sabotage, though, which would make him a stupid cnut (and I don't think he's stupid).
I don't disagree.

But from their perspective how much bad press would they get if there wasn't a peep this week, we somehow manage a win tomorrow and then announce the sacking right after?

There still seemed to be a lot of United fans who thought he would be keeping his job it seems.

So from a PR standpoint it's lose-lose really. There's probably no good time to get the news out there.

ScarleyUtd

Integrity? Why print something that isn’t true just for someone else to say it isn’t true once the full story is out?
I'm not saying I'm right necessarily, I'm saying I also don't take what a journo says at face value. If it was leaked to him by Chelsea, and they do have a clear vested interest right now, what's to stop him concealing that? You can choose to take it on trust if you like, and that's fine.

Rolaholic

That would've been right after the 4-0 spanking by Palace...

Definitely better if he already heard it before today, sound like it's just the media and fans finding out after the fact.

Don't think INEOS would've made a decision based on tomorrow's final or anything like that when it's been the worst season in the PL ever for the club with no positive signs of uptick or good football being played during...

On merit, his credit in the bank from last season ran dry soon as the league form went to hell and we were trounced out of Europe altogether in the fashion we did. Tough luck with injuries for sure but he never helped himself with the stubbornness in tactics and selection.

Hope he gets a chance elsewhere though and I think he will, club needs to move off of the mantra of having the manager be the end all be all rather than just another cog in the machine like they are just about everywhere else across Europe's elite these days.

Maybe he gets a chance to interview for the Bayern job now