Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
A foregone conclusion, he was a dead man walking for months. The only thing that allowed him to still be at the helm until now was the INEOS take-over and nothing else.

A con artist, an absolute car crash of a coach and the worst MU manager post SAF by a distance.

Irwin99

Would be funny if he won it tomorrow and did a Tyrion Lannister style speech: i win you two trophies in successive seasons, the first since Sir Alex to do so, you won feck all in 5 seasons before you met me...i should have let you burn!!!! :lol:

But yeah, horrific timing on the part of the club on the eve of a cup final, and nothing to stem the rumours. Just ridiculous really.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ok that's better if we've told him weeks ago in private and it's just come out from that. Did well to keep it under wraps that long tbf even though it always seemed to be going that way.

Chairman Steve

Also makes sense if he was told after the Palace game considering that Jean-Claude Blanc was attending that game in person, which I found peculiar at the time. It’s plausible that the interim CEO would be there to deliver the news face to face possibly.

Prophet_of_Doom

This was when Lingard was dropping bombs once a week, and the criticism, which was valid at the time, was that his sessions were too much like reserve team sessions after he'd just been promoted to a first team coach. I'm sure that isn't the case anymore and he's gone on to be a more than competent coach in that department. Plus, this time he has a massive amount of support from the incoming structural changes.
Oh absolutely, I completely agree. I think (if it happens) it's a great appointment all round and would give me increased confidence in INEOS. It's the decision of a structure that's forward thinking and looking long-term rather than seeking a short, sharp fix. And the latter isn't what we need if we're to escape this cycle of mediocrity.

AndyMUFC

Should've just been announced he was leaving in the summer instead of letting it leak out the day before a cup final if the decision was made after Palace, but it's better than him finding out beforehand.

Right decision despite the shit timing, because this season was game after game of absolutely terrible football. The football and tactics have been worse than the 8th place finish.

One thing it does ensure though is that everyone will get behind him and the team tomorrow to hopefully give him a good farewell.

Telsim

He was always going. If they told him ahead of time, that's at least good. Shame it didn't work out, but he carries a lot of the responsibility.

Now, the club will have to figure out how to undo the damage. I'm concerned about the replacement. Please, no Pochettino.

Rolaholic

Pretty much an entire rap sheet of unwanted records during his time here...

Sums up why the club is making the correct decision, irregardless of timing

spwd

People feeling sorry for him and saying this isn't the right way to find out you're getting sacked, maybe, just maybe he already knew about it so nobody is classless or anything.
It's not logical to think he didn't know it was coming.

Dazzmondo

Glad ETH was told in advance if those reports are true. That was the one thing I did feel bad about. Thought he genuinely might have been under the impression he would be here next season until he saw the reports yesterday, which wouldn't have been nice

Adz_99

I like the guy but he had to go.

Hope the players can send him out on a high tomorrow. 2 trophies in 2 seasons would be pretty good considering how awful we've been.

Amir

Now, now. Some of those things happened before - like 1930 - so they aren't actual records.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

That would've been right after the 4-0 spanking by Palace...

Definitely better if he already heard it before today, sound like it's just the media and fans finding out after the fact.

Don't think INEOS would've made a decision based on tomorrow's final or anything like that when it's been the worst season in the PL ever for the club with no positive signs of uptick or good football being played during...

On merit, his credit in the bank from last season ran dry soon as the league form went to hell and we were trounced out of Europe altogether in the fashion we did. Tough luck with injuries for sure but he never helped himself with the stubbornness in tactics and selection.

Hope he gets a chance elsewhere though and I think he will, club needs to move off of the mantra of having the manager be the end all be all rather than just another cog in the machine like they are just about everywhere else across Europe's elite these days.

Maybe he gets a chance to interview for the Bayern job now
Surprised if he was told as he has been totally defiant in his press conferences and kept reminding everyone about the cup finals he has taken us to.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

Hard to defend stats like that. Despite it all, still really like the guy and he has my sympathies - injuries have definitely been a massive hinderance to our season. But it's time to go.

Dazzmondo

Jesus, that tweet was like reading a book. Craziness

ShinjiNinja26

People feeling sorry for him and saying this isn't the right way to find out you're getting sacked, maybe, just maybe he already knew about it so nobody is classless or anything.
It's not logical to think he didn't know it was coming.
The thing is according to reports it was very much the right way to be sacked. Done privately weeks ago after an embarrassing defeat to Palace in a long line of them throughout the season. He hasn’t been left in limbo unsure of whether he’ll still be there next season and it won’t be sprung on him on Saturday even if he wins the FA Cup like what happened to LVG.

He’s been allowed to see out the season and potentially leave on a bit of a high if we do win the cup and at least it won’t come as a shock to him if we do win, whereas if he didn’t know he might have thought winning may have saved his job.

You literally couldn’t handle a sacking any better, the timing of the leak is really unfortunate but the after the disastrous season we’ve just had this news should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Ace of Spades

Meh, don't care about the leaks. We tried to keep it under wraps as much as we can, it was bound to get out eventually.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hope that Scando journo who is not known for knowing things outside of random Scandinavian footballers, actually knows something Simon Stone doesn't. Would feel a lot better if ETH is not caught off guard here and has just been navigating the press since before the Arsenal match (which incidentally is the match when he went a bit stronger in midfield and compact collectively).

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
He's blamed absolutely everyone but himself for the mess we're in and then spent the last few weeks flirting with Bayern because he thought there was a chance.
He’s not specifically called anyone out. Had loads of opportunities to.

Watch the Neville interview again as an obvious example.

Give me some specific examples?

If he was sacked after the Palace game he’s every right to speak to other potential employers.

He’s certainly not spent his time on internet forums making tenuous suppositions and questioning the character of people he doesn’t know. I think!!

DSG

The only reason I can think of is to get the news out there on the off chance we win.

Could you imagine if there wasn't a peep about it this week, we won and then announced his sacking right after?

Don't agree with it if that was the thinking but it's the only reason I can think to leak/brief/get the news out there before the final.
Dominoes are starting to fall. We need to communicate to the potential candidates that there will be a vacancy at United.

With Tuchel out, Kompany replacing him
Pochettino out, no replacement yet
De Zerbi out, no replacement yet
Xavi out, Hansi Flick reportedly taking the job
Motta to Juventus
Chelsea circling McKenna

We laugh that no one would want to take the United job because of the pressure and we are currently a mess. But think about this:

1. We pay good money for our managers
2. We spend in the transfer market, always 100m-250m
3. Expectations are not as high as at Bayern, Barca, PSG, Real and Juventus
4. The candidates have probably watched our matches and laughed. My guess is that Tuchel already has notes on how he’d fix our abominable defense and tepid attack.

You don’t want all the pieces gone from the board, otherwise, you end up with a real risk as the next manager. By risk I mean, McKenna, Potter, Southgate etc.

INEOS has played this well. Lots of noise about Ten Hag’s future without confirmation, then waiting til the end of the season and knowing who is available, then leaking that Ten Hag is out before the FA Cup final so we can now actively reach out to the candidates.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not a bad bloke. He basically publicly called people clueless if they disagreed with him.

Then again, he was probably salty because he'd already been told he was sacked off.