Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 436 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

OpenIntrovert

I hope that ETH makes a formation change in the next game. Liverpool may have injuries, but Fabinho, Henderson and Milner form a very industrious midfield which will overwhelm our current midfield shape easily.

If he still wants to use the current formation, Martinez has to move into the DM position with Fred/Bruno and McTominay/Eriksen as the CMs. Ideally, he should use a 3-5-2 diamond or a 3-4-3 or a 3-6-1 (basically a back 3 with more numbers in the midfield) which can counter Liverpool's wing based approach. Otherwise we will be seeing another disappointing result.

Josh 76

I hope that ETH makes a formation change in the next game. Liverpool may have injuries, but Fabinho, Henderson and Milner form a very industrious midfield which will overwhelm our current midfield shape easily.

If he still wants to use the current formation, Martinez has to move into the DM position with Fred/Bruno and McTominay/Eriksen as the CMs. Ideally, he should use a 3-5-2 diamond or a 3-4-3 or a 3-6-1 (basically a back 3 with more numbers in the midfield) which can counter Liverpool's wing based approach. Otherwise we will be seeing another disappointing result.
Agree.
Have to play a counter attacking game and pack the midfield. They have lost Mane and Salah is not on form. Frimino is poor to what he use to be. If you go tight on Diaz, he’s not the same player. That’s why I think AWB should be brought in. He can definitely do a job on him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Excellent video on the problems ETH faces. Basically too many players in the squad cant play the way ETH wants. Rashford, Sancho, Bruno, Ronaldo all cant press. Or if they try they are awful at it. Casemiro not mention in the video fills the gap in front of the defence. But the problem still persists. Who other than erikson can turn defence into attack in a possession based system? We have a missing midfielder who we havent bought. Frenkie would have fixed this issue. But wont happen. De gea also needs replacing, think joe hart at city when guardiola joined. This season will be painful and long. We need another midfielder alomg with casemiro.

This is why people called for patience.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If I were him I would give Zidane more responsibility and bench both McFred and Bruno. Casimero, Zidane and Eriksen. Our main failing as a team is our inability to keep the ball for any reasonable period.
My team would be
Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
Casemiro
Zidane Eriksen
RW Martial Sancho.
Still not a team of runners but will take care of the ball better.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Have you seen Maguire?

For a start, if we wanted him gone we’d have to sell him, meaning we’re in a position of weakness right away, we’re effectively saying this bloke isn’t good enough. He isn’t going to ask to leave and we’re not going to say no.

On top of that, there’s a small issue of his performances. Which pundits at one point last season were told to stop talking about because it was getting so bad for him.

Then you’ve got his salary, which is north of £150k a week. Who’s taking that on?

We’d be lucky to get £10m for him.
£150k a week isn’t much. He’s a starter for England and should still have decent reputation around the league. £40m minimum if it was Chelsea or City selling.

dinostar77

This is why people called for patience.
I agree. Although it doesnt help with reports that joel glazer wants to keep ronaldo for his commerical benefits. If ETH doesnt want him then let him go. Joel did similar with martial. Refused to let him go and gave him a whopping payrise. Guradiola and klopp dont have these issues. I dont think arteta does either. Either back your manager 100% and his vision or dont hire him in the first place.

crossy1686

career ending
£150k a week isn’t much. He’s a starter for England and should still have decent reputation around the league. £40m minimum if it was Chelsea or City selling.
Starter for England means nothing. He can easily not be a starter for England. There’s not a single club outside the top 4 paying those kind of wages and any one of those clubs would be mad to buy him.

Stacks

Have you seen Maguire?

For a start, if we wanted him gone we’d have to sell him, meaning we’re in a position of weakness right away, we’re effectively saying this bloke isn’t good enough. He isn’t going to ask to leave and we’re not going to say no.

On top of that, there’s a small issue of his performances. Which pundits at one point last season were told to stop talking about because it was getting so bad for him.

Then you’ve got his salary, which is north of £150k a week. Who’s taking that on?

We’d be lucky to get £10m for him.
no England starting CB is going for less than £40 mill at just 29 years of age. You are delusional!

Sarni

Starter for England means nothing. He can easily not be a starter for England. There’s not a single club outside the top 4 paying those kind of wages and any one of those clubs would be mad to buy him.
Many PL teams can afford to pay in the region of £150k a week. Most, actually.

crossy1686

career ending
Many PL teams can afford to pay in the region of £150k a week. Most, actually.
What? We can't move Williams on because if he goes to a bottom 10 team he'd be one of their highest paid players despite having done nothing in his career. No one is matching Maguire's salary, he'd be lucky to get £100k a week anywhere.

zenith

Fully backing the manager here, especially given the bunch of fannies he's dealing with. Once the players realize that the only way to get rid of the manager is to leave the club themselves, they will fall in line

Sarni

What? We can't move Williams on because if he goes to a bottom 10 team he'd be one of their highest paid players despite having done nothing in his career. No one is matching Maguire's salary, he'd be lucky to get £100k a week anywhere.
Multiple players at Everton make £120k a week. It’s not so far from £150k that they wouldn’t be able to get him. Villa, West Ham have several players between £100k and £120k too, Villa going as high as £160k for some. Newcastle would easily be able to pay him north of £120k too.

Of course none of the bottom 5-6 could afford him at £150k but otherwise many teams would be able to pay that.

RedOrange

It's funny to read people whinge about the manager not publicly slagging players he's trying to motivate to play for him.

I'm probably being optimistic thinking any of the people who say it are employed but if your boss did a TV interview calling you an idiot who'll always be bad at your job, how hard would you work for them? 99% of people would file a harassment claim with HR or just hang around doing as little as possible until they're let go or their manager is sacked.

It's a stupid, childish thing to do and doesn't make anything better.

Red-17

Yeah there is a small difference between Brandon Williams and Harry Maguire. No one wants to overpay for a player who is barely good enough for the league. Maguire gets into pretty much every non-top 6 center back pairing in the league, and many of the top 6 based on previous form.

macheda14

Except two quite good sources saying Chelsea are interested.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's funny to read people whinge about the manager not publicly slagging players he's trying to motivate to play for him
It's a quote from people who have no idea what it takes to manage human beings. At any level. In any profession.

Someone

Something
I'll be shocked if the usual suspects start on Monday, and I can't wait to see how ETH will react after last week. As someone mentioned in another thread, I think this group of players have PTSD from last season and lost all their confidence. The likes of Shaw, Maguire, Rashford, and Bruno for example would benefit from not playing till we have some form of stability.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Casemiro is lightweight? Have you ever watched him play?

Your obsession with “press resistant” is a bit weird tbh. It’s a meaningless description, which just means players that are hard to get the ball of. Which is something that should apply to every good footballer.
It's one of those hipster phrases that fans use nowadays to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. See also: "low block", "false nine", describing players as numbers like "6" or "8".

Cathy Ferguson

Interesting to see how ETH opts to play against Pool. If he tries to outplay them we will get taken to the woodshed. He must by now realize the limitations of the squad he inherited unless he is another de Boer.

Blood Mage

"Press resistant" is another annoying fancy term for players with technical ability on the ball.

Shocking post he wrote.

Imagine thinking ETH hasn't a clue about players and his sides being technical on the ball.

You have to wonder with them sort of posts are they being serious
Also, a lack of press resistant players isn't even our issue. It's aggressive and energetic players that we lack, and you need those kind of players if you want to be a pressing team.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Also, a lack of press resistant players isn't even our issue. It's aggressive and energetic players that we lack, and you need those kind of players if you want to be a pressing team.
I think we still lack a lot of quality on the ball but you are right about aggression and energy. If it wasn't so easy to get at our defence (because the effort of our forwards and midfield is so lacking) we wouldn't get boxed in our own half trying to play out so much.

AlexUTD

I've never been more disappointed in a full time manager here.

I expected shit with Moyes and Mourinho, and didn't expect too much from Ole and van Gaal.

I thought ten Hag would be good, though. I thought we finally hired a manager who understood the importance of press resistant players. Nope. Fill the squad with more shite in Eriksen and Casemiro.
:houllier: :houllier: :houllier:
You cant be serious or a United supporter saying stuff like this.

fecking ell, this post.
Mind boggling, must be a WUM?

If serious, you are a bit of an idiot
Dont mask your feelings mate, tell us what you really think! :lol:

NoPace

I'd say Bruno isn't better for that particular style. Doesn't really suit him. At least not on the midfield. Would work on the wing in a similar role like Ziyech had at Ajax.
I don't disagree, but then I think about the times I've watched Berghuis play and he's Dutch so maybe more used to that style, but he's not exactly Cruyff out there. Just a decent winger who hits a great long ball.

OmarUnited4ever

The most disappointing thing a manager sees is his team giving up on the pitch, his first 2 competitive games the players simply gave up, especially in the Brentford game, the moment DDG let that scoffed shot slip through him the players lost the desire to compete.

I feel for Ten Hag really, we can criticize his tactics or selections, but the bigger issue is the players not trying to fight and compete, and Ten Hag can't do much here.

and regarding Ronaldo, I really hope he just benches him, we are likely losing the game vs Liverpool, and Ronaldo's presence will exasperate the situation with his moaning and whining

BlueHaze

Hope he grows a pair quickly and realize which ones will keep letting him down irregardless of how many chances they get. I really hope he does because I like the guy and want him to be given time to build his own side. I'd take an 10th place finish this year if that meant he'd clear out half this team.

Grande

It's one of those hipster phrases that fans use nowadays to make it sound like they know what they're talking about. See also: "low block", "false nine", describing players as numbers like "6" or "8".
Ole was quite press resistant for a couple of years there, before they turned on him too. Erik Ten Hag just feels a lot if resistance towards the presa.

To be fair, you could previously have said the same about terms like ‘wing player’, ‘centre back’, ‘defense’ or 4-4-2 as well.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He has to learn quickly before he's sent to sleep with the fishes.