Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Just when I thought I couldn't rate this guy more.

A lot of what he's doing - discipline, playing style, etc. - reminds me of LvG but I actually like watching us now.

Gasolin

This is what should already be happening yes. However with the different coaches and managers we’ve had over the years they’re all probably drilled in different systems and styles. Ten Hag should be here for the long run so it makes sense to change all this.
No, I think LVG probably required the u23 to be playing like the first team. Same with Ole.

Only Jose had a reputation to not focus too much on youngsters. And Ralf probably didn’t have the luxury to care because he was a temp.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
They might but United and Liverpool have to get bought by ME investors first otherwise Pep has no reason to leave.
He has to win the CL otherwise when he leaves might not be his choice

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That’s a complete nonsense. They have been useful in the season we finished second and played to help with a certain objective. We destroyed all of that with Ronaldo instead of a midfield but it is what it is.

Again, someone who doesn’t appreciate ETH is not necessarily a Ole’s fan.
Dude literally has Ole in his name ffs :lol: . Some people really need things spelled out for them.

wangyu

Laughable, since there's only 2 or 3 teams in their respective leagues competing. Statement removed, revoved. Even bin bagged.
The bundesliga had many teams challenging. Even the likes of Wolfsburg and Stuttgart won titles fairly recently but Bayern is always up there. Check their league postions history, you can count there finishes outside top 3 on one hand.

Barca is now supposedly in transition, they bought a lot of new players but they are right there on top as usual. Even when other teams become challengers like Sociedad, Atletico, Valencia, deportivo they are still up there competing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The bundesliga had many teams challenging. Even the likes of Wolfsburg and Stuttgart won titles fairly recently but Bayern is always up there.
I suppose you think United won the PL fairly recently as well, Bayern have won the Bundesliga the last 10 years, since SAF was our manager

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Any manager can ask for this and probably did incl Ole, LVG. But its takes the top management to approve this. So what's changed? Woodward leaving.

As I said before, Woodward has been the cause of all this -- he wanted control of all elements -- he did this simply by dividing and conquering. He probably worked his way within the United system and never understood how come Fergie, a football team manager wielded more power than David Gill the CEO.

So credit has to go to Arnold for allowing the footballing side of the business to have more authority esp the manager. His decision to delegate things is a sign of his own personal confidence -- vastly different to Woodward.

Revaulx

We've repeatedly fallen into this trap of letting the first team manager dictate the entire clubs strategy.
Have we?

LvG was the only post-SAF manager to take any interest in the reserve/youth teams as far as I’m aware. If anyone was dictating the “entire club’s strategy” it was Ed Woodward.

AshRK

We've repeatedly fallen into this trap of letting the first team manager dictate the entire clubs strategy.
We have never let the first team manager dictate anything. This is the first time we have a manager who wants to overhaul the club

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
We have never let the first team manager dictate anything. This is the first time we have a manager who wants to overhaul the club
Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about!

SAF dictated when you were allowed to fart never mind just football related matters, Sir Matt Busby ran the club like the Army Sergeant he once was, that's just United, other clubs were the same

AshRK

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about!

SAF dictated when you were allowed to fart never mind just football related matters, Sir Matt Busby ran the club like the Army Sergeant he once was, that's just United, other clubs were the same
I meant first manager since SAF. I thought the discussion was about post SAF managers.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
From the quotes from the article (link), it sounds like he just wants to be able to say what system is played and make sure players he's specifically interested in get playing time. That seems very sensible to me; in the end, the U23 team serves to feed the senior team, so it makes that they're tailored accordingly. If anything, I'd say it's weird this wasn't already how things were done with the U23s.

It's an interesting article actually. Here's another quote that wasn't included above:
Ten Hag explained: “For me, cooperation between all the different departments is crucial to get the right culture in a club. Like at Ajax, when I entered Manchester United the reserve team was isolated.

“It was no longer really part of the academy, but it wasn’t part of the first team either. I changed that immediately - just as I did when I entered Amsterdam.

croadyman

He's got a couple of massive games this month, if we can beat Bournemouth and get something from City and Arsenal then we're at the edge of the title race.

Need to get a striker in rapid though
Think we would need to take at least 4 points from City and Arsenal,along with some favours from others to be in that situation

Drz

I think I know what you mean, but I disagree.
With hindsight it seems to me that SAF managed every detail of the club, so an appointed manager at our club unable to just control how talent is organically produced for his first team would be a disappointment, to me at least. And would probably be doomed to fail (unless we go the total Galactico route of ignoring the youth and our capacity to produce 1st team players).

croadyman

I suspect it means he wants the u23s to play the exact system the first team are playing. Isn't this what most top sides do anyway?

The idea is that players can plug into the first team and already know exactly what their role is.
Yeah that would be beneficial for cup games

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think I know what you mean, but I disagree.
With hindsight it seems to me that SAF managed every detail of the club, so an appointed manager at our club unable to just control how talent is organically produced for his first team would be a disappointment, to me at least. And would probably be doomed to fail (unless we go the total Galactico route of ignoring the youth and our capacity to produce 1st team players).
TBH - that way used to be the norm at most clubs in England until 15-20 years ago, in some respects this is probably a result of foreign club ownership as much as anything else

bringbackbebe

Any manager can ask for this and probably did incl Ole, LVG. But its takes the top management to approve this. So what's changed? Woodward leaving.

As I said before, Woodward has been the cause of all this -- he wanted control of all elements -- he did this simply by dividing and conquering. He probably worked his way within the United system and never understood how come Fergie, a football team manager wielded more power than David Gill the CEO.

So credit has to go to Arnold for allowing the footballing side of the business to have more authority esp the manager. His decision to delegate things is a sign of his own personal confidence -- vastly different to Woodward.
Spot on. People are underestimating Arnold's role in this transition back to the top. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good to see both manager and player are on same page. Too many clowns wants to start drama with hilarious takes on this incident, like how EtH was so wrong or how they saw that kind of a person Rashford is.

wangyu

I suppose you think United won the PL fairly recently as well, Bayern have won the Bundesliga the last 10 years, since SAF was our manager
You miss the point, it is about utd failing to compete for the title for almost a decade now. I would understand if there was a setback like financial problems (AC Milan) or fraud (Juve) but not when hundreds of millions are spend to perform. You can’t speak of transition when you have this luxury. With money a good team can be created in just one or two transfer windows. This has been proven by the immediate success of Chelsea, PSG and City

Look at Real. They sold star players like Varane, Ronaldo and Casimero. Did this prevent them from challenging for the title? No.
Utd should be able to be at this level. That is what I want to make clear.

Hell look at What Ten Hag is doing, he is here for a couple of months and the difference is already night and day. It really should not have lasted a decade to become a better team.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You miss the point, it is about utd failing to compete for the title for almost a decade now. I would understand if there was a setback like financial problems (AC Milan) or fraud (Juve) but not when hundreds of millions are spend to perform. You can’t speak of transition when you have this luxury. With money a good team can be created in just one or two transfer windows. This has been proven by the immediate success of Chelsea, PSG and City

Look at Real. They sold star players like Varane, Ronaldo and Casimero. Did this prevent them from challenging for the title? No.
Utd should be able to be at this level. That is what I want to make clear.
You make some fair points but it also needs to be said that some of these teams (not all) have little real competition domestically.

United have spent millions but I also question who actually bought some of them, VDB is a classic example, Ole "bought" him and never played him, he also "brought" Ronaldo back, I doubt he actually had any say in the matter, same with some of the contracts handed out, Phil Jones is an example there

For all the money spent, City and PSG don't seem to be any closer to winning the 1 competition they really want, Chelsea had some immediate impact and then went backwards and will probably need millions to get back to where they were

bringbackbebe

Do you think Arnold would still be here after the change in ownership?
If there's a change in ownership, most likely not. If there's an additional investor, yes. Don't see any reason to replace Arnold without giving him time. The worst thing we can end up is a CEO who pokes his nose without understanding football & messes everything up (read Woody/Kenyon version 2.0).

wangyu

@Red in STL

PSG is close imo, they compete for the CL. Winning the thing is just damn hard except when the name is Real. Their European cup record is ridiculous. What is it now 17 finals From 1956 till now?

Imagine being a real fan and being asked what their best ever side was…
For utd the choices are relatively easy. Some say 1999, 2008 or even 1994. Older people will go for 1968 or 1958 and that’s basically it.

Anyway I’m whining now

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
@Red in STL

PSG is close imo, they compete for the CL. Winning the thing is just damn hard except when the name is Real. Their European cup record is ridiculous. What is it now 17 finals From 1956 till now?

Imagine being a real fan and being asked what their best ever side was…
For utd the choices are relatively easy. Some say 1999, 2008 or even 1994. Older people will go for 1968 or 1958 and that’s basically it.

Anyway I’m whining now
1999 for me, they did something no other English club has ever done before or since

RM's European record is ridiculous but you also should bear in mind that until it turned in to the CL it was much harder to qualify for, in a 2 horse league they had a heck of an easier time qualifying in the first place and thus had more opportunity

Look at he teams that United beat in 68 and the ones Liverpool beat in the70's and 80's, it bears no comparison with what you have to beat today, although it was harder to get into it's far harder to actually win it now

Reactions: oates

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think he's on shaky ground.

If you invest that much money you definitely want your own person there on the ground to guard that investment. Ratcliffe did this by appointing his brother at Nice initially.

The knock-on effect will be the folks (Arnold and maybe Murtough) who appointed ETH will leave and he may re-develop that trust with the new team. Or will be under tremendous pressure to ensure there is no excuse to remove him. (ETH is on a 3-year contract isn't he? Not too expensive to pay out.)

ETH's first (inevitable) bleep and he will be looking over his shoulders.

Greck

Can only speculate but it's uncertain. Consistent with what the Glazers want from the position he's more of a commercially oriented CEO than a football one. His specialized money making skillset may not exactly weigh as much under a new regime. They might want a football person or they might just not like the idea of signing hundreds of millions to an insider from the previous regime. Don't think they'll want to buy a club just to be a glorified lending facility. There will be changes, for now we're just not sure who it will be.

Last edited:

tjb

I know what you're saying and that probably reflects in the results. I'm talking more intangibly - this is the first time since Fergie (for me) that I haven't been on edge approaching and throughout games against teams we're generally expected to beat. It's hard to explain properly but I'm never second guessing ETH pre-match, I'm never worried during games and if we take the lead I'm relaxed and confident we'll see it through if not increasing our lead. It's not been like that for years, I've always been on tenterhooks expecting a massive cock up. He's provided a consistency and calming influence that we haven't had for years.
Not necessarily due to him. Our core is just really solid. Varane, Martinez, Casemiro and Shaw bring a solidity to the team that we haven't had since 2011

Scottynaldinho

Even though we weren't playing well yesterday, still I had that belief that we'll score at 70-odd minutes. That's something I've only felt under Fergie or in fifa because I can change sides and score an own goal.

darioterios

I think he's on shaky ground.

If you invest that much money you definitely want your own person there on the ground to guard that investment. Ratcliffe did this by appointing his brother at Nice initially.

The knock-on effect will be the folks (Arnold and maybe Murtough) who appointed ETH will leave and he may re-develop that trust with the new team. Or will be under tremendous pressure to ensure there is no excuse to remove him. (ETH is on a 3-year contract isn't he? Not too expensive to pay out.)

ETH's first (inevitable) bleep and he will be looking over his shoulders.
This has always been my lingering doubt ever since the sale news surfaced. It is hard not to look at the Boehly Tuchel situation without thinking how it may be the case with United.

Trex

First time in a long time you don't see the players snoozing through games, this was common under Ole and Mourinho were we had opponent outplaying us not because they were better players but because our players simply allowed it. Under ETH there's always a structure in and out of possession.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
First time in a long time you don't see the players snoozing through games, this was common under Ole and Mourinho were we had opponent outplaying us not because they were better players but because our players simply allowed it. Under ETH there's always a structure in and out of possession.
that’s what I like seeing the most. We’re a lot more compact and ETH has always said he wants to make us hard to beat. That gives us a platform to play from. We don’t get walked through anymore like we did under Solskjær. We actually have a game plan.

EtH

Well said. And so refreshing to see.

Trex

I hope who ever takes over would let ETH continue to do his job and even back him more, he has the right ideas and also the tools to implement it. It would be a shame if a Tuchel situation occurs, good thing for ETH he is viewed with high esteem among the fan base, hopefully that would count for something.

krazyrobus

Even though we weren't playing well yesterday, still I had that belief that we'll score at 70-odd minutes. That's something I've only felt under Fergie or in fifa because I can change sides and score an own goal.
The fifa thing is just sad :lol: