Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 435 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Lentwood

It does feel very over-complicated. We've got CBs receiving the ball on the half-turn in the pivot, full-backs inverted, full-backs underlapping, two 8s, false 9s, sweeper-keepers....it's like we're trying to crowbar every fad-tactic into one match!

Bruno8

ETH needs to ditch the 3-1-6 formation because we are awful.i possession and make lots of poor decisions. Until we sort ourselves out we need to play 4-2-3-1

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
We won, and yes, he should get his players. Despite shitty performance, he gives Pellistri a chance without a fear. This is what I wanted to see, and I'm quite happy about it. Not everything was super tragic today.
I'm glad we won, but that was still an awful performance. And he's been serving medicore football for most of his tenure here, very little improvement. He's giving Pellistri chances now, but he wasn't last season with all those games ands also because Amad is injured.

bondsname

I am going to reserve judgment of Ten Hag until I get a bigger sample size this season. I am willing to pin this performance down to lack of preperation and also credit to Wolves who brought their A-Game, but it can't and should not be a repeating pattern over the course of the season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This year he got them.
Hojlund's injury is not his fault. Not this time, at least. :lol:

Casemiro's backup is still McTominay... that should definitely change for the better, as opponents are ready to sell their mothers to finance their midfield overhaul.

Jacob

Not his decision but let's do preseason for footballing reasons rather than commercial. It's obvious the squad hated the US tour. We're not prepared enough for the season.

Ceteris

Needs to be better with in game management. It won't be good enough talking about Principles

Also what fitness program did we follow in preseason? We look unfit as hell

redsunited

He won despite thin squad, low form and lack of physical preparation. Nobody has to excuse him. Sancho sub helped massively. Good on Ten Hag.

If you want to go in the panic mode, go ahead. Get him players, he needs to compete with opponents who already signed more than 3, then judge.
I agree on certain points. Just curious, how many more players he needs?

The Mitcher

Caicedo is a united fan. Regardless, it's quite solidly reported that his agent/entourage essentially run his career. Caicedo doesn't get much of a say either way. It's slightly bizarre to think an Argentinian with no attachment to Liverpool would have a strong preference either way when presented with two clubs of similar stature and with similar odds of making top 4 (united if anything should be slight favourites, although today's showing has complicated that). He'd probably have gone to Chelsea at that if they'd come in, exceeded liverpool's offer and given him an extra 40k on top per week. They're professionals- its not like having doubts about the saudi league despite being potentially offered more money or something.
Caceido is not a United fan, he's been saying he's a fan of all sorts of clubs.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
His post match presser, doesn't seem overly concerned, said we will improve and need to be better on the ball.

Doracle

Least convincing explanation ever as to why that wasn’t a penalty - clearly in reality he thinks it was

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm glad we won, but that was still an awful performance. And he's been serving medicore football for most of his tenure here, very little improvement. He's giving Pellistri chances now, but he wasn't last season with all those games ands also because Amad is injured.
It was an awful performance. No excuse... but still, he and coaches improved Wan-Bissaka to the point, he won us the match.

mu4c_20le

Better make a statement against Spurs and Forest, or it could be de Zerbi in soon.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Same. It doesn't take this long to get things going.

He's currently failing.
Yea I don't want to say it because I like a lot about his character but I don't like his football and I don't think it's going to work with him.
Not that my opinion counts for much and I do make up my mind a lot quicker than most

Withnail

It's a good thing you guys don't speak Dutch or you would all be fuming at Erik's post game interview :nervous: said he didn't like how they played today but was dodging negative questions and downplaying that Wolves were the better team, mostly being positive about keeping a clean sheet, being organized in defense and saying we're fine in a low block. Expected a bit more of a critical stance after tonights display but ah well.
Exact same message in English. He did say we have the ball away far too much but that it would improve as the season progresses. He knows the team aren't match fit yet. The players will get a very different message I suspect.

GMoore23

He needs more.

I actually think some of the criticism is justified, especially around the decision to pursue the midfield as it is, but the squad is still quite poor, and any coach would still need reinforcements.

We still have a lot of really thick players at the club, sadly. This includes some of our best players.
He's gotten 8 so far. How many does he need FFS.

Ceteris

This guy just stood in front of the camera to say we dealt and matched the runs of wolves in midfield?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Last season I’d have been complaining about the moaning but I think it’s warranted now. He’s had a season and to look this unprepared for a game against a team in disarray is alarming.
Personally, I'm giving it at least three matches before diving in with "I've always said that he's not good enough" or "we're doomed this season" comments that have already cropped up in the last few pages.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm not going to overreact to looking shit (although the weirdest part was how physically outmatched we were), but he will have some serious questions being asked about him and his talent ID if Mount ends up being a bench player and Antony is as toothless as he was last year. Those are two players he's fully had us go all out for because he previously worked with them and was adamant he needed them, and it's cost us 140m between the pair.

For as poor as we were as a team tonight, we had 4/5 chances in that first half alone to score off of Wolves giving it away in their own half but Antony and a poor Garnacho just turn the attacks into dust. Compare that to Liverpool or other high pressing teams and those opportunities HAVE to be converted because you're going to give away the occasional counter from pressing that high.

AneRu

So still blaming the guy who hasn't demanded these players. Continue to pass the buck for ETH, this team is made up of most of his players now. It's all on him.
Murtough let that happen despite it being his main remit to avoid such a scenario, I will blame him for that because he has been spineless so far. A good DOF is on the phone bringing in Amrabat tomorrow because if this goes south he going to be left holding an empty sack or getting the sack too himself.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Personally, I'm giving it at least three matches before diving in with "I've always said that he's not good enough" or "we're doomed this season" comments that have already cropped up in the last few pages.
Yeah wouldn’t go that far. It was just concerning.

Plastic Evra

Is it me or has it become endemic the team starts the season slow and gassed, as if physical preparation still had to kick in ?
Maybe not a EtH specific issue but still.

Baxquux

Caceido is not a United fan, he's been saying he's a fan of all sorts of clubs.
He repeatedly indicated that he was a United fan before he reached the PL and started having his, i guess advisors or entourage, presumably suggest he start hedging his bets once clubs started to enquiring (and potentially making his team a hefty commission with any move).

Castia

Not sure how we start a season looking that bad. Unprepared, unfit and chaotic are 3 words Id use alongside lucky to not get beat.

the_cliff

He does not realise that we are shit in possession. And then plays Bruno and Mount in front of Casemiro, who is not in top form. I mean if he doies not see how shit our midfield is and setup, there is no help. He struck gold with De Jong it seems.

A team trying to be elite in transition will only ever fight for top 4 if it is bang average in possession.
We'll never even be elite in transition, especially not with Antony and Rasfords decision making. The first half when we won the ball back and he chose to play in Rashford when Bruno/Garnacho were wide open on the other side... Then Rashford who chose to shoot straight at the keeper when Garnacho and Bruno were still wide open on the other side...

Andersonson

We won and that all thats matters , but his post match interview at Sky had me worried. He said he managed to follow their runs? We wasnt open?

Was i hearing wrong?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
If he fails we'll be in the same cycle of having to shift another managers dozens of expensive signings on high wages. It's like an endless nightmare.
Yea we need and have needed for so long a dof with clear football structure that guides manager recruitment and coordinated player acquisition

Kag

More. Like it or not, the squad isn’t good enough, and our rivals are bringing in just as many, if not more.

I look at this squad and see the need for at least another four or five players.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Are you even listening to what I'm saying? You said it's not fair on ETH because he didn't have all his signings for the opening game.
The opposition, who outplayed us despite losing, had no signings, not only that he had his two best players leave. And no preseason. No panic mode, just being honest nad not blind.
(Oponent hasn't signed more than 3. He has signed 0)
I'm not denying shitty performance. I'm sure you saw in your life teams winning after awful performance.

We are not aiming to be Wolves, we're chasing City and Arsenal from last season. We need quality, and not to compare ourselves with Wolves.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This guy just stood in front of the camera to say we dealt and matched the runs of wolves in midfield?
Should know by now that what he says in public is hardly what he actually thinks. He’ll not be happy with that.

The Mitcher

He repeatedly indicated that he was a United fan before he reached the PL and started having his, i guess advisors or entourage, presumably suggest he start hedging his bets once clubs started to enquiring (and potentially making his team a hefty commission with any move).
Not recently.

JuriM

Enough to have a functioning football team to fit his tactics, atm every single new signing we make has basically walked into starting 11 without any hesitation, which means his peers to his position were just that much worse that he had no need to outplay them to get their starting position.

The Mitcher

Murtough let that happen despite it being his main remit to avoid such a scenario, I will blame him for that because he has been spineless so far. A good DOF is on the phone bringing in Amrabat tomorrow because if this goes south he going to be left holding an empty sack or getting the sack too himself.
Stop passing the buck.

Shark

@NotShark
More. Like it or not, the squad isn’t good enough, and our rivals are bringing in just as many, if not more.

I look at this squad and see the need for at least another four or five players.
Like Mount and Antony? He can buy as many players as he wants but it ain't helping us score goals so far. If Hojilund doesn't hit the ground running the pressure will be immense.

The Mitcher

Enough to have a functioning football team to fit his tactics, atm every single new signing we make has basically walked into starting 11 without any hesitation, which means his peers to his position were just that much worse that he had no need to outplay them to get their starting position.
He's built this side and they still aren't doing it, maybe it's him.

Telsim

Can't build from the back, can't keep possession, no patterns of play, a lot of running around and general chaos... got some flashbacks to Ole's and Rangnick's time at the club. Not a pleasant feeling.

He deserves time, though.

The Mitcher

It was an awful performance. No excuse... but still, he and coaches improved Wan-Bissaka to the point, he won us the match.
One player. Not the whole team. Aaron was great, but the team as a whole was set up terribly and clearly undercoached.