F1 2020 Season

LordNinio

Would be so interesting

Know itll never happen but I'd stick them all in exactly the same spec car then all the teams do is decide their strategies but with everyone in exactly the same spec car it'll be who can drive it best and plan the best strategy
That was A1 grand prix basically. Only lasted about 5 years though

Balljy

That was A1 grand prix basically. Only lasted about 5 years though
It doesn't really make sense in F1 anyway as it goes against what it's supposed to be about. The manufacturers would have no reason to be there as they wouldn't actually be producing anything and F1 is partly about the technology and the new ideas.

Yeah, this can lead to boring races and dominant teams but the way around that is to come up with interesting ideas like championship order reversed grids once every 3 races or something similar. Constraining / making the cars the same spec wouldn't be F1 anymore.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It doesn't really make sense in F1 anyway as it goes against what it's supposed to be about. The manufacturers would have no reason to be there as they wouldn't actually be producing anything and F1 is partly about the technology and the new ideas.

Yeah, this can lead to boring races and dominant teams but the way around that is to come up with interesting ideas like championship order reversed grids once every 3 races or something similar. Constraining / making the cars the same spec wouldn't be F1 anymore.
Yeah im not a fan of F1 becoming a control formula, I think the budget caps will help.

It's pretty much like having City and PSG in the same league with no FFP currently.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Can someone please explain why Ferrari are so shit? Is it only due to the power unit not being upgraded during winter testing? And is it possible to fix this in this winters testing?

keithsingleton

Terrific race, but we need to get to the point where we can have great days like this without a wheel falling off or an obscure pitlane rule being broken.
Terrific race because Mercs didn't win? Obviously very biased. However, great for the neutrals but normal device will resume shortly. I never get fed up of watching class which is what Hammy & Mercs are.

LordNinio

Completely agree, F1 is all about pushing the boundaries of technology.

F-Red

Can someone please explain why Ferrari are so shit? Is it only due to the power unit not being upgraded during winter testing? And is it possible to fix this in this winters testing?
Last years engine was rumoured to be found guilty of the technical directives. The FIA did eventually admit to concluding an analysis of the engine and “reached a settlement” with Ferrari and kept the reasons for the settlement private. The reduction in engine power (for them to be back in line with the technical directives of the engine, ie. legal) has given them a less than ideal aero performance and a more draggy car. When you have the power that they had last year, it offsets the need to be perfect on aero and drag.

I don't think they'll put anything behind next year, and focus on the new regulations in 2022. I would expect more of the same for 2021 as the engines are frozen for development. So unless they focus heavy on aero concepts, I can't see any huge improvements in 2021.

One thing to note is that in race trim it doesn't look too bad (as higher engine modes aren't required), and their car cornering speed is faster than last year. They're suffering in qualifying without the high engine output, and when you start getting into the mix of 10-15th on the grid at a race start, it makes it much more difficult to get themselves back to where they were.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That was very entertaining. Nice to see the young guys on the podium.
Hamilton again showing what a great driver he is even coming the up through the pack to get into the points.

dbs235

What do we think is wrong with Albon? Is he just a bit like Bottas dare I use the word a bit of a drip? That F1 series portrayed CH acting like he was a bit of a protégé? It definitely came across as Max being the golden one though so does he get favourable treatment? Or is it just like Hamilton/ Bottas where one is just such a superior driver the other is made to look rubbish? But then Bottas is at least consistent
Not sure about that. They gave Albon a chance because he was a Red Bull contracted driver. Horner said they can swap any of the 4 drivers they own around into any of the cars. I doubt they'd have taken Albon if he raced for another team. But Gasly wasn't doing well so they basically subbed Albon in. But like you said it's going to be hard for Albon to shine when he's against Max so he's always going to look bad.

dbs235

Mclaren pipped to their first win in years by a GP2 Honda engine :drool:

Though I really like to see Mclaren do well at the same time! Great race by Sainz, he must be dreading next season
How come?

Tiber

How come?

He has already signed for Ferrari. Because the new car rules have been delayed for a year by Covid, teams are allowed to do very little development this offseason. So Sainz will basically have to drive this years Ferrari instead of an already competitive Mclaren with an upgraded Mercedes engine.

dbs235

At least based on the Netflix doc it seems Gasley is an emotional guy who needs some coddling. Horner clearly doesnt do warm and fuzzy. If he goes back to RB he knows he ll be second to Max again so for Pierre's sake at least that would seem like a move that would backfire again.
Based on the Netflix series the Haas manager is the one who's absolutely brutal :lol: The Renault manager seems like a bit of a cnunt too. I thought Horner seemed pretty sound and he seems like the perfect manager for Verstappen. Almost like its an unwritten agreement between those 2 that Verstappen gets a bit of leeway because of his talent but also has to respect Horner and behave, without being told to.

dbs235

He has already signed for Ferrari. Because the new car rules have been delayed for a year by Covid, teams are allowed to do very little development this offseason. So Sainz will basically have to drive this years Ferrari instead of an already competitive Mclaren with an upgraded Mercedes engine.
How on earth did I not know that :eek::lol::lol: I don't follow F1 as religously as football but I watch every race, some of the post race shows and regualarly check BBC F1 page for news and I somehow missed that.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Young guy though, and I think will surprise people in relation to Leclerc. Wish him all the best as a McLaren fan tbh, has been a class act in and out of the car.

United Hobbit

Haven't needed to watch the "highlights" until this race (still midway through as started watching from the start then paused it and it crashed)

Didn't realise one of chanel 4's pundits is Billy Monger, that guy who lost both his legs in an accident in one of the other series. Just been reading up on him more and sounds like he's managed to complete a couple of races since

United Hobbit

Wonder what Vettel will do. Think he possibly needs a year out to recharge his batteries then decide what he wants to do from there. I'd quite like him as a pundit he was on the old style Top Gear once and was actually really funny

gormless

How on earth did I not know that :eek::lol::lol: I don't follow F1 as religously as football but I watch every race, some of the post race shows and regualarly check BBC F1 page for news and I somehow missed that.
it was announced during the period all the races were cancelled with no real prospect of any occurring, so you probably weren’t checking for news at the time

dbs235

it was announced during the period all the races were cancelled with no real prospect of any occurring, so you probably weren’t checking for news at the time
Yeah makes sense, I won't have been, still thought I might have heard it mentioned at some point during races or analysis though.

Tiber

Yeah makes sense, I won't have been, still thought I might have heard it mentioned at some point during races or analysis though.
Ricciardo is replacing him at Mclaren, Alonso is taking the Renault seat

Adam-Utd

A lack of engine power compared to the other 3 manufacturers due to having to redesign it legally this summer, and they tried to change their car design this summer to be more like red bull.

last year Ferrari concentrated on power and straight line speed with a low drag/downforce setup but with the engine changes they tried to be the opposite direction, but theyve ended up with low power, high drag. While on the tight/slow circuits theyve looked not bad in race trim, the last 2 circuits especially have revealed their weakness.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Terrific race because Mercs didn't win? Obviously very biased. However, great for the neutrals but normal device will resume shortly. I never get fed up of watching class which is what Hammy & Mercs are.
...or just because there was a lot more interesting stuff happening today than usually? It would still have been a terrific race if Hamilton had fought his way back to first place at the end.

Wicked_Badger

Mad race, very exciting. Huge congrats to Gasly and he deserves it after the shitty 12 months he’s just had.

Gutted/pleased for McLaren. Brilliant drive by Sainz, the team was 2nd strongest this weekend and should really have had 2nd/3rd wrapped up.

Mental that they didn’t just push Magnussen’s car behind the open barriers he parked next to. Completely turned the race on it’s head.

Merc/Hamilton made an arse of it. How the engineers didn’t realise that he had to stay out was mental, and actually could be extremely dangerous in other circumstances. The signing for it was poor too, but Hamilton should still have clocked it.

The red flag rules are understandable, but not exactly fair. Getting a free pit in those circumstances is pretty shitty on everyone else that’d worked hard to be in a decent position at that point.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Mad race, very exciting. Huge congrats to Gasly and he deserves it after the shitty 12 months he’s just had.

Gutted/pleased for McLaren. Brilliant drive by Sainz, the team was 2nd strongest this weekend and should really have had 2nd/3rd wrapped up.

Mental that they didn’t just push Magnussen’s car behind the open barriers he parked next to. Completely turned the race on it’s head.

Merc/Hamilton made an arse of it. How the engineers didn’t realise that he had to stay out was mental, and actually could be extremely dangerous in other circumstances. The signing for it was poor too, but Hamilton should still have clocked it.

The red flag rules are understandable, but not exactly fair. Getting a free pit in those circumstances is pretty shitty on everyone else that’d worked hard to be in a decent position at that point.
That's every motorsport in existence tbf.

In regards to K-Mag's car, these F1 cars are so wide now they may not have been able to push it between the barriers.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Shouldn't there be an automated message that the FIA can send to all drivers to their steering wheels ''PIT LANE IS CLOSED''

Huge oversight on the electronic boards being on the left. Will surely be amended for next season.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Shouldn't there be an automated message that the FIA can send to all drivers to their steering wheels ''PIT LANE IS CLOSED''

Huge oversight on the electronic boards being on the left. Will surely be amended for next season.
Might be easier to just have of the Haas cars parked right at the entrance to indicate its closed. No point in having two cars staying in the race if at most one of them is going to finish anyway.

Adam-Utd

Anyone up for the reverse grid starts after yesterday’s excitement?
I still like the spectacle of qualifying, it proves the "all round" ability of a car and a driver that can nail 1 lap pace and hit every mark perfectly. I'd keep a qualifying round, give points for that and then start the race in reverse of that result, or reverse championship order.

I think the issue is right now a lot of the tracks are still tough to over take, so rather than fighting for the lead they'll be fighting each other for 10th-15th place. It'll promote different winners but I can't see the heavy favourite teams/drivers voting in favour of that to happen.

Once 2022 comes we will see how the cars manage to compete with eachother, and if it's still a 1 horse race they'll want to do something.

As usual though a safety car or something out of the norm spices the race up and brings real excitement. As much as Hamilton would have wanted to win, I bet he enjoyed fighting through the pack like that. It also shows his and Mercedes worth that they can be 30 seconds behind the pack with 30 laps to go and still end up in the points. Insane.

Leg-End

Anyone up for the reverse grid starts after yesterday’s excitement?
I'm really in two minds about it. It certainly would shake up the order and produce more exciting races than what we currently get on a regular basis but also its messing with the very fabric of the sport.

I think we really should see what 2022 brings, I trust Ross Brawn and his group have done all they can to improve the on track racing first. If after that they feel the need to reverse grids to shake it up then so be it. Maybe for 2021 they should create a couple of races with the format and see what happens with it, preferably at tracks which actually allow overtaking.

Interesting race but reverse grid doesn't solve much. Other than Hamilton catching up and Raikkonen falling off not much happened. Hamilton gaining on literally everybody else at 1.5 seconds a lap and setting the fastest lap of the race by over a second is what needs fixing.

I'd think Bottas is keeping his head down the last couple of days too. Lewis really showed him up after the restart.

slyadams

I don't think you can look at Monza and say a reverse grid wouldn't do anything interesting. Monza is a very difficult track to overtake on. On different tracks, or in 2022 with the new cars, a reverse grid could be brilliant.

Grib

Don't know about reverse grids myself but there's surely simpler things could be done to improve the racing, mainly making changes so they can drive these cutting edge machines to their limits and not be constantly saving tyres/engine

What about mandatory two stops, in most instances should allow the teams not to have to overly worry about nursing wear to ensure you can make a one stop work

Things like Bottas not being able to follow cars at Monza due to over heating. The radiators are minimal to save weight, balance whatever, well enforce in the rules that they have to have more sufficent cooling. I mean I'm no mechanic but they place so many restrictions on aero areas, size limits for parts, surely it would be easy enough to work something into the the rules for that too

Imagine there's other changes that could be pruposed