F1 2020 Season

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I wouldn't really argue/debate with anyone basically because ( like you say ) the drivers mentioned all did it in different era's. There's absolute no doubt if Max was in the same car as Hammy viewing figures would reach a record high. They're clearly the two fastest drivers on the grid, boy I'd pay good money to watch them both in the same team. :D
That would also show where Max stands for consistency. He has more DNFs than Hamilton, but while he's in the RB, it's hard to say if it's him or the car. (Like the tire issue last weekend: who's to blame for that?)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That would also show where Max stands for consistency. He has more DNFs than Hamilton, but while he's in the RB, it's hard to say if it's him or the car. (Like the tire issue last weekend: who's to blame for that?)
It was debris that caused it to fail, so unless he drove over something in the road that he should have avoided you'd say it was purely bad luck. It wasn't worn out at all.

keithsingleton

Very very good question, whilst I can only hazard a guess (( he's always been more aggressive on the tyres )) Adam more clued up than me and can probably give you a more educated opinion.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It was debris that caused it to fail, so unless he drove over something in the road that he should have avoided you'd say it was purely bad luck. It wasn't worn out at all.
Ah OK. But in general, he has DNFs more often than Hamilton. (Right?) I'm not at all trying to suggest that that is indeed his own fault (there might be a good reason every single time); just saying that that's another question that only having them under really similar circumstances would take away.

stu_1992

Ah OK. But in general, he has DNFs more often than Hamilton. (Right?) I'm not at all trying to suggest that that is indeed his own fault (there might be a good reason every single time); just saying that that's another question that only having them under really similar circumstances would take away.
Mercedes are pretty much unmatched in terms of reliability and it's been getting better each year for them. I feel like back in the Hamilton/Rosberg days they had a few more reliability issues but this year they have been very good, barring some early issues with tyres. That, together with the pace of the car and of course the drivers has been key to their success over the last 7 years. I don' think Red Bull can come anywhere close to matching that level of reliability so Max gets a little shafted. Uncertainty around engineer suppliers in recent years has contributed, and will continue to contribute.

Adam-Utd

His DNF's are usually through car failure than him causing a crash or making a mistake. Obviously he does have his moments and he's certainly a bit more hot headed than Hamilton. I'd say he's more Schumacher or Senna than Hamilton in terms of mentality.

It's a shame we can't get them in the same Mercedes for 1 year and let them fight it out over a season, would be epic.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks guys. Yeah, if only F1 would level its playing field a little, it'd be so much easier to compare drivers! (And just more fun to watch.)

keithsingleton

Whilst it hardly exactly been Max's fault with DNF he is the more aggressive drive which long term can have detrimental effect on the car & tyres, that's the way I see it anyway.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Good point but only on today's era not passed. I'd still bet my bottom dollar on Hammy though.
Yeah, of course. It's like football. Today's players can be compared fairly well to each other, even though they do work in different circumstances ('x is only looking good because his team's system / the league / whatever suits him so well'); but it's almost impossible to compare Messi to Maradona.

I think I would also back Hamilton right now. I am not qualified to compare their exact driving skills, but on the mental side, Hamilton also has the benefit of age and experience, and being more mentally stable in the knowledge that he has already won it all; there is no frustration about anything bigger for him anymore. But maybe he was always like that.

keithsingleton

Yeah, of course. It's like football. Today's players can be compared fairly well to each other, even though they do work in different circumstances ('x is only looking good because his team's system / the league / whatever suits him so well'); but it's almost impossible to compare Messi to Maradona.

I think I would also back Hamilton right now. I am not qualified to compare their exact driving skills, but on the mental side, Hamilton also has the benefit of age and experience, and being more mentally stable in the knowledge that he has already won it all; there is no frustration about anything bigger for him anymore. But maybe he was always like that.
Messi or hand of God ? Don't like the cheat so Messi for me.

Good assessment on Hammy & Max.

pauldyson1uk

The Vietnam GP will not feature on the 2021 Formula 1 calendar when it is announced on Tuesday.

It is understood that 22 races will be unveiled on next year's schedule but that the season could ultimately feature 23 races if Vietnam is replaced.

Vietnam had been due to make its debut on this year's F1 calendar in April at a new street track in Hanoi before it was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

But the decision to drop it for 2021 is understood to be linked to political issues in the country.

Meanwhile, Brazil's Interlagos is set to continue for next season with work on a planned new circuit in Rio still awaiting government approval to start work.

Adam-Utd

Thank god for that, with Saudi Arabia being a street track also that's all we needed.

The less street tracks the better!

pauldyson1uk

Provisional 2021 F1 calendar
  • 21 March – Australia (Melbourne)
  • 28 March – Bahrain (Sakhir)
  • 11 April – China (Shanghai)
  • 25 April – TBC (TBC)
  • 9 May – Spain (Barcelona)*
  • 23 May – Monaco (Monaco)
  • 6 June – Azerbaijan (Baku)
  • 13 June – Canada (Montreal)
  • 27 June – France (Le Castellet)
  • 4 July – Austria (Spielberg)
  • 18 July – United Kingdom (Silverstone)
  • 1 August – Hungary (Budapest)
  • 29 August – Belgium (Spa)
  • 5 September – Netherlands (Zandvoort)
  • 12 September – Italy (Monza)
  • 26 September – Russia (Sochi)
  • 3 October – Singapore (Singapore)
  • 10 October – Japan (Suzuka)
  • 24 October – USA (Austin)
  • 31 October – Mexico (Mexico City)
  • 14 November – Brazil (Sao Paulo)*
  • 28 November – Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
  • 5 December – Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi)
*Subject to contract

Race 4 ??

Leg-End

Be interesting to see how the current cars deal with Turkey this weekend, they are probably going to eat up Turn 8 like its a non-entity. Can't help but love the track though.

Abizzz

F1 Calendar is starting to look like a NBA season. Can't say I'm too excited about it. Hamilton is probably going to win it by mid September anyway.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Provisional 2021 F1 calendar
  • 21 March – Australia (Melbourne)
  • 28 March – Bahrain (Sakhir)
  • 11 April – China (Shanghai)
  • 25 April – TBC (TBC)
  • 9 May – Spain (Barcelona)*
  • 23 May – Monaco (Monaco)
  • 6 June – Azerbaijan (Baku)
  • 13 June – Canada (Montreal)
  • 27 June – France (Le Castellet)
  • 4 July – Austria (Spielberg)
  • 18 July – United Kingdom (Silverstone)
  • 1 August – Hungary (Budapest)
  • 29 August – Belgium (Spa)
  • 5 September – Netherlands (Zandvoort)
  • 12 September – Italy (Monza)
  • 26 September – Russia (Sochi)
  • 3 October – Singapore (Singapore)
  • 10 October – Japan (Suzuka)
  • 24 October – USA (Austin)
  • 31 October – Mexico (Mexico City)
  • 14 November – Brazil (Sao Paulo)*
  • 28 November – Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
  • 5 December – Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi)
*Subject to contract

Race 4 ??
It's funny how they generally keep the two-weeks gaps, but some of the biggest geographical leaps are one week apart: from Melbourne to Bahrain and from Baku to Montreal. But then there's two weeks between Austria and Silverstone and between Monza and Sochi - followed by only one week to Signapore. The team are going to love that.

F-Red

It's funny how they generally keep the two-weeks gaps, but some of the biggest geographical leaps are one week apart: from Melbourne to Bahrain and from Baku to Montreal. But then there's two weeks between Austria and Silverstone and between Monza and Sochi - followed by only one week to Signapore. The team are going to love that.
The flyaway races are easier in terms of set up & logistics than the European legs. If any races were considered to be close together, then the flyaways are the preferred option.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The flyaway races are easier in terms of set up & logistics than the European legs. If any races were considered to be close together, then the flyaways are the preferred option.
Oh, really! Interesting. I figured it'd be the inverse. Shows what I know, then. :)

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I get the desire to race in Spain - but aren't there any other (better) circuits than Barcelona?

I love the lineup of races from May 23-Sept 12 :drool:

Edit: poor Albon leaving unintentionally leaving the door open for more criticism again probably :

Formula 1 RSS UK: 'My dad laughed at me' – Verstappen explains why he won't use head padding at high g-force Istanbul. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...se-head-padding-at.Jf3cqTb4agANVn8O9XBdE.html

Sat next to him meanwhile, Verstappen’s team mate Alex Albon, said he would go in a different direction to the Dutchman this weekend...

“I'd prefer that my head doesn’t fall off,” he told the media.

Meanwhile, the Mercedes duo of Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas also confirmed that neither of them would use head padding around Istanbul Park, as the pair get set for what could be a title showdown this weekend.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Looks like it's "icestanbul" this weekend, track was very slippery in FP1.

F-Red

I get the desire to race in Spain - but aren't there any other (better) circuits than Barcelona?
Barcelona are looking for a long term contract (till 2024) and Liberty want the same, there's no desire to move the Grand Prix anytime soon I don't think. There was talks of Barcelona not renewing, but a new president of the circuit has committed his long term interest, and has strong support in the provincial government. Jerez was rumoured for a while for this years calendar, and had shown interest for the 2021 date, but not sure if they have the budget for it.

Leg-End

Bit of a shame the new surface is here so we can’t see them full beans at the moment but if it shakes up the order and creates bit of a different challenge then it could be fun. Two drs zones and a long straight, it could be mega.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Interesting FP3, I'd say the first half was ok in terms of safety but if the standing water at the end does not clear up I don't see how they can run qualifying. Rain is always fun but on a normal track there's alternative lines with grip so the very best can stand out, here there's no grip on any of the lines so it feels a bit like a lottery. It's a bit like the final corner at Hockenheim in the wet but for the entire track :lol: .