g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2022 Season

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Obviously it does as Horner said that the team is actively trying to get second for Checo.
They should try harder then and not find themselves in a position where Perez is the only one on mediums. If they had done a better job Max wouldn't have been anywhere near him.

hobbers

Second in the drivers championship will carry some permutations on sponsorship payout and driver bonus' from those sponsorships, so I can see the logical arguments from both Perez & Leclerc camps around why second in the drivers championship still carries some importance.
Maybe yeah, I'd be curious to see what sort of bonuses they'll get between third and second.

dinostar77

Fantastic race, just finished watching it. Shame the damage on lewis car didnt let him get within drs of russell, wanted to see them really fight.

Also what a cnut max is to do that to his teammate. Thats not how a world champion should behave with his teammate, especially when his teammate needs all the points he can get.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Max is unbelievable, played the nice guy act this year under no pressure, hopefully be a lot different next season.
Funnier the usual in here defending him. No point rising to it.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Ooooo boy. I'm gonna stay clear of this thread for a long long time. Max hate will be at a maximum.

Not a good day for Max on and off the track. People will blow this up into infinity, Max is the devil etc.

Max and his fans are never gonna live this down. It will be mentioned in 50 years because people won't let go. Max himself is partly to blame of course. Not smart.

Anyway the toxicity in here will be at an all time high and I won't be a part of it.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Wouldn't really make a difference. The pace difference or tyre difference has always been so great that he never actually has a choice in the matter anyway.
He'd have one less championship without it so it would probably make a decent difference. Without his defence in Abu Dhabi Lewis would have been 6 miles down the road and very safely pitted under the SC without having to worry about track position.

hobbers

Ooooo boy. I'm gonna stay clear of this thread for a long long time. Max hate will be at a maximum.

Not a good day for Max on and off the track. People will blow this up into infinity, Max is the devil etc.

Max and his fans are never gonna live this down. It will be mentioned in 50 years because people won't let go. Max himself is partly to blame of course. Not smart.

Anyway the toxicity in here will be at an all time high and I won't be a part of it.
The only way Max can redeem himself in the eyes of this thread is if he takes Charles out Senna-style in Abu Dhabi.

dinostar77

The only way Max can redeem himself in the eyes of this thread is if he takes Charles out Senna-style in Abu Dhabi.
The only way max can redeem himself is to act like a world champion and a team leader and not a cock.

Very immature of him. He's going to need perez's help next season if Mercedes and Ferrari can challenge RB throughout the season. Hard to win a championship against other teams by yourself without help on track.

Hes got a alot to learn.

Perez will pay him back for this...

hobbers

The only way max can redeem himself is to act like a world champion and a team leader and not a cock.

Very immature of him. He's going to need perez's help next season if Mercedes and Ferrari can challenge RB throughout the season. Hard to win a championship against other teams by yourself without help on track.

Hes got a alot to learn.

Perez will pay him back for this...
He could always chase Perez out of the sport if it gets to that. Worked before for other world champions.

Surprised anyone other than Max fans would like the idea of Perez playing the Bottas role next season. Because sure as feck George and Carlos will not be. I'd rather see 6 cars fighting for wins, even if realistically Perez isn't as good as the other 5.

dinostar77

He could always chase Perez out of the sport if it gets to that. Worked before for other world champions.

Surprised anyone other than Max fans would like the idea of Perez playing the Bottas role next season. Because sure as feck George and Carlos will not be.
I get your a max fan and nothing wrong with that. We have hamilton fans, leclerc fans etc on here. But you have to be able to see that what max did was very bad for RB team morale. There are two RB crews in the pitlane, no doubt perez's crew would have really appreciated that their team leader was magnanimous enough to help Perez out. If Perez misses out on 2nd in WDC, it will affect the bonuses his pit crew get. These guys work their arses off for 20 odd races a season. Its a nice thank you to perez for his help as well.

There is no defence for his behaviour today. Its a shame as until today hes been outstanding this season.

dinostar77

Mate, you only ever post in here after a max win. You glory hunter :lol:

At least @arjenm3 and @hobbers are proper max fans and post regardless of if max wins or not.

hobbers

I get your a max fan and nothing wrong with that. We have hamilton fans, leclerc fans etc on here. But you have to be able to see that what max did was very bad for RB team morale. There are two RB crews in the pitlane, no doubt perez's crew would have really appreciated that their team leader was magnanimous enough to help Perez out. If Perez misses out on 2nd in WDC, it will affect the bonuses his pit crew get. These guys work their arses off for 20 odd races a season. Its a nice thank you to perez for his help as well.

There is no defence for his behaviour today. Its a shame as until today hes been outstanding this season.
I agree with this but I still think Perez should be blaming himself and the strategists as much as anyone. The whole team did a pretty stinking job this weekend. Car setup and strategy and driver performance.

Even if Max wanted to give the place back I dont think he could have on that last lap with the gap. But yeah the radio messages all round are bad for morale.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Mate, you only ever post in here after a max win. You glory hunter :lol:

At least @arjenm3 and @hobbers are proper max fans and post regardless of if max wins or not.
:lol: Fair. I used to be here more frequently, but this is a Hamilton fan thread, not an F1 thread. Note that I have nothing against Hamilton, I really respect the guy and have cheered for him in the past (even here you can look it up) and will cheer for his next win. It's just I know people like you and others will never stop about this so what's the point. I don't enjoy it over here.

Call me a glory hunter, but there are other forums with more level headed discussion. I will happily continue supporting Max over there and in real life, just not here.

Maybe after things cool down and Max wins another championship I'll be back for a bit:devil:

dinostar77

I agree with this but I still think Perez should be blaming himself and the strategists as much as anyone. The whole team did a pretty stinking job this weekend. Car setup and strategy and driver performance.

Even if Max wanted to give the place back I dont think he could have on that last lap with the gap. But yeah the radio messages all round are bad for morale.
I find it very strange that Mercedes who have been off 0.3-0.5 off the RedBulls to suddenly beat them (and ferrari) on pure pace. It cant just be track specific. Lets see what happens at Abu Dhabi.

Leg-End

I find it very strange that Mercedes who have been off 0.3-0.5 off the RedBulls to suddenly beat them (and ferrari) on pure pace. It cant just be track specific. Lets see what happens at Abu Dhabi.
Austin upgrade worked well for Mercedes, they were closer there. I think this weekend being a sprint has brought them into play for the win, RB never nailed setup or deg issues and carried them since FP1.

Ferrari have just dropped off, like they usually do.

slyadams

A lot on here, myself included, have decried the way RBR have seemingly tolerated Max’s behaviour through the years, pointing out how it will not create a well balanced and respectful driver or person. It’s kind of nice seeing that play out live.

He’s won the WDC, the points literally mean nothing to him but could materially benefit a bunch of people in his own team. His response is to refuse to swap places and “to never ask me that again, are we clear?”, as if he’s talking to some serf.

This year he seemed to have matured, but actually was it just that he was so far ahead there was no pressure on him triggering the kinds of behaviours we’ve seen previously?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Bizarre end to the race. Perez may be reluctant to pit at sub optimal times now when RBR are protecting Max. With RBR current dominance it won't matter much but maybe in a few years this will come back to bite Max.

Merc says this was the exact same car as previous race. Crazy

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If it pans out like I suspect and Merc become dominant again very soon it will be fecking hilarious watching Max's tantrums.

More entertaining than anything for the last 20 years.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Reflecting after the race the biggest concern is that Ferrari started the season with the fastest car especially over one lap and were competitive in races. They are now some way behind RB and have been leapfrogged by Ferrari. They need to improve in-season development and strategy. At least they seem to have got over engine reliability however they may have turned the engines down.

redshaw

Nice drives from Russell and Hamilton, well deserved 1-2.

With the Max Perez saga there's obviously a lot more to it as Max alluded to but with both titles wrapped up he should've dropped back. Ultimately I think Max needs a better number two driver next year as while Perez has been a thorn in the side of Hamilton and others with some clever positioning to defend the inside corner to corner until the speed advantage takes hold and he gets passed on the outside, he's too slow overall and should be taking way more points this season. His defending craft is probably small consolation to the points he should be taking off Max's rivals throughout the season.

NotThatSoph

:lol: Fair. I used to be here more frequently, but this is a Hamilton fan thread, not an F1 thread. Note that I have nothing against Hamilton, I really respect the guy and have cheered for him in the past (even here you can look it up) and will cheer for his next win. It's just I know people like you and others will never stop about this so what's the point. I don't enjoy it over here.

Call me a glory hunter, but there are other forums with more level headed discussion. I will happily continue supporting Max over there and in real life, just not here.

Maybe after things cool down and Max wins another championship I'll be back for a bit:devil:
After this race Verstappen looks to have a higher proportion of defenders on Redcafe than on Reddit.

hobbers

Not too dissimilar incident. I don't recall seeing the handbags in the post race
Except he was a lapped car, not racing for track position. Which the stewards factored in heavily when they gave him 3 penalty points and a 10 second stop/go for it.

Twitter handle checks out though.

Last edited:

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Except he was a lapped car, not racing for track position. Which the stewards factored in heavily when they gave him 3 penalty points and a 10 second stop/go for it.

Twitter handle checks out though.
Really? I can see why Max was fuming then but why on earth was he getting involved like that? :houllier:

hobbers

Really? I can see why Max was fuming then but why on earth was he getting involved like that? :houllier:
Because he's Ocon, i.e. an idiot. He had faster tyres on and you're allowed to unlap yourself if you have a pace advantage, but only if you can do it safely. You cant do it with aggressive wheel to wheel manoeuvres because you're not racing the other car.

Nobody else on the grid is petulant or wreckless enough to try something like that except maybe Stroll, sort of shithousery that deserves a proper assault not just a little push.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Because he's Ocon, i.e. an idiot. He had faster tyres on and you're allowed to unlap yourself if you have a pace advantage, but only if you can do it safely. You cant do it with aggressive wheel to wheel manoeuvres because you're not racing the other car.

Nobody else on the grid is petulant or wreckless enough to try something like that except maybe Stroll, sort of shithousery that deserves a proper assault not just a little push.
I meant why is Max getting involved. Just let Ocon fly by.

hobbers

I meant why is Max getting involved. Just let Ocon fly by.
I dont think he expected a lapped car to go around the outside in turn 1 at Interlagos. Something so stupid I dont think F1 has seen it before or since. Lapped cars have taken others out before but by accident, not from an aggressive move on the race leader.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I dont think he expected a lapped car to go around the outside in turn 1 at Interlagos. Something so stupid I dont think F1 has seen it before or since. Lapped cars have taken others out before but by accident, not from an aggressive move on the race leader.
Well he saw it happening and still decided to get involved. Back off and just have a word post race.

Anyhow, sorry to derail the thread with a misleading clip. We need more Brazils. Thoroughly enjoyable track. Passing throughout the field. Seems to entertaining most years compared to most tracks.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I've never been much of a fan of team orders, but Max really showing why he is unlikable at times. If your bosses direct you to do something, just do it, don't act like a spoilt brat...

Abizzz

I'm not a Max fan but I respect his decision yesterday. After how his race went the other guy in the same car should have been half a lap ahead at the end, not seconds behind him. Every race is a contest and every point is recorded for eternity. Shouldn't have gone for a gap that didn't exist though.

Delighted for Russel.

Jerch

Bizarre end to the race. Perez may be reluctant to pit at sub optimal times now when RBR are protecting Max. With RBR current dominance it won't matter much but maybe in a few years this will come back to bite Max.

Merc says this was the exact same car as previous race. Crazy
Don't dream to much. It's clear that Red Bull stopped development and that they have improvements for next season already sorted for example lighter chassis.

dinostar77

Reflecting after the race the biggest concern is that Ferrari started the season with the fastest car especially over one lap and were competitive in races. They are now some way behind RB and have been leapfrogged by Ferrari. They need to improve in-season development and strategy. At least they seem to have got over engine reliability however they may have turned the engines down.
Ferrari admitted to switching over to the 2023 quote early on probably after the summer break when it was evident for all that max would be champion this season.

Binotto probably needs to go. It has been shambolic for a while.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Ferrari admitted to switching over to the 2023 quote early on probably after the summer break when it was evident for all that max would be champion this season.

Binotto probably needs to go. It has been shambolic for a while.
Badly needs to go, or at least get some competent decision makers around the team, maybe a German or an English or French perspectives on the tactics would be helpful in the pit wall just leave the Italians do what they do best build a fecking competitive car at long last

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not sure why anyone is surprised with what Max has done.

He’s Red Bull’s golden boy and even if he does something wrong Horner and co will let him get away with it. He better pray that the Red Bull is as dominant next year, otherwise he’s going to find it’s a whole different ball game if the second driver isn’t actively helping him.

Mike Smalling

That's why we all love Super Max, even though some will not admit it. He's unapologetically an asshole. None of this "#Blessed #Grateful" or "He just turned in on me" crap. Verstappen knows he's the best, and it's this mentality that got him the championship last season.

We are going to see more of this next season, if Mercedes can keep up the development of the car and be highly competitive next year. There could be a lot of fireworks.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Max was like 3 or 4 seconds ahead of Perez in the final lap. Would have been different if Perez had been able to keep up but he didn't.
No. Would have been different if Max has done the right thing and complied with team orders.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

But you just have.