F1 2023 Season

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
The sidepods get a lot of attention but I suspect there has been more work under the car and the suspension, the area where RB showed the way and limited the bouncing.

I expect Mercedes to have sorted that over the summer. There's always a bunching of the field for the well run teams a year or two post new regs so it is getting exciting but it depends how much RB have been able to improve - they could've focused on reducing weight if they kept the same concept.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The curves on that bodywork. Damn
Apparently more major updates coming to the car in first few races. Totto hasnt ruled out a change to the sidepods after first few races.

It looks a quick car, however so far the ferrari looks the car to beat. It has some interesting unique ideas, that has the likes of scarbsf1 puzzled.

Also the wind tunnel data for AstonMartin suggests they have a very quick car, in the hands of alonso, who knows what they could do.
What are the odds on the mercs turning up to Bahrain with a new car like last year

Rooney1987

Lewis said today he will speak on political issues that he feels passionate about, as I knew he would. Even Max thinks its a stupid rule. I know FIFA and the Olympics have these rules but I think this will backfire so badly for the FIA.

F-Red

Also the wind tunnel data for AstonMartin suggests they have a very quick car, in the hands of alonso, who knows what they could do.
I have a sneaky suspicion that Aston Martin might surprise a few this year in performance terms, however they'll get out developed as the season goes on. I think the first few races might be fruitful if testing goes to plan for them.

dinostar77

What does it mean in human language?
F1 cars, like their air to be nice and still and not energised i.e. heated up, pushed around and manipulated by a car in front in the form of wake off the back of the car.

So F1 car have either a inwash or outwash effect for the air they pass through (we'll ignore vortex generation and upwash and downwash). The front wing will push the air under the wing, around the wing or over the wing. The air that goes around the outside of the N plates of the front wing, hits the front tyres where it all becomes a mess. Some of it will be pushed out as outwash to the edge of the floors where it will be funnelled towards the rear of the car i.e. beam wing, rear wing, diffuser etc.

Some of the air around the inside edge of the tyres will be funnelled under the car into the venturi tunnels underneath and some will go into the sidepods.

What it looks like ferrari have done, is to create a slot which will take some of this turbulent air (inwash) from the tyres and funnel it over the top of the sidepods.

Edit: kyle engineers channel on post below reckons this is the less likely option and more likely its for cooling than performance gain.

Last edited:

arthurka

Ferrari looking very fast but will it hold it together? Mercs look cool and Red Bull are looking exactly the same.

Norris

I’ve seen a few people saying the Ferrari looks fast. How can you possibly make that conclusion? What am I missing?
Think the way they did the launch is why most are hyped. They drove around the Maranello race track as part of the launch, so closest we've seen a car in action thus far. Personally, I think Mercedes are favs this year, very long season this time.

mitChley

Is pre season testing on TV this year?

Edit: Did something called "to google" and apparently it is

BristolRuss

Good look at last years Merc compared to this. I'm not sure if the photos are exactly to scale, though it appears they have gone with a shorter nose and longer wheel-base this year.

ArjenIsM3

What makes everyone love the Merc? The all black makes it a bit bland in my opinion. Nothing really special about the livery.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What makes everyone love the Merc? The all black makes it a bit bland in my opinion. Nothing really special about the livery.
In all honesty I have almost no interest in the livery.
It is completely secondary. F1 is all about winning

pauldyson1uk

Is pre season testing on TV this year?

Edit: Did something called "to google" and apparently it is
Yeah full coverage on Sky.

You can watch live coverage of every minute of pre-season testing on Sky Sports F1, along with a daily wrap and special testing edition of Ted's Notebook.

The full television schedule is as follows:

Thursday 23 February

Session One - 06:50am-11am
Session Two - 11:50am-4:30pm
Testing Wrap - 8pm-8:30pm
Ted's Testing Notebook - 8:30pm-9pm

Friday 24 February

Saturday 25 February

pauldyson1uk

Testing this week

What should you look out for?

You will only see one car from each team on track during each session, limiting traffic on the circuit. Most teams will give their two drivers a session each on each day, but some may choose to split the time differently or give running time to reserve drivers.
Cars can do as much running as they please within each session and have access to all five Pirelli tyre compounds that will be used during the season.

You are likely to see teams somewhat ruining the wonderful designs of their new liveries with fluorescent flow-vis paint, which is used to visualise air flow over the body of the car.

Another eye-catching feature you will see are aerodynamic rakes, which feature sensors designed to measure off-body flow structures, or in simple terms where the air goes after it hits certain parts of the car.

Both tools enable teams to gather further understanding of their cars, and potentially make further improvements, whether that be in the form of upgrades or just setup.

The timesheet, especially in the early stages of the three days, is to be treated with caution. Some drivers may be focusing on longer runs, or testing a specific aspect of their car, while others are looking to put down quicker laps.

Then there is also the inevitable 'sandbagging', which is teams not wanting to reveal their true pace to their rivals ahead of the opening race.

There will be a lot of interest in how reigning champion Max Verstappen and his Red Bull team get on, along with their most likely challengers, Ferrari and Mercedes, who are hoping to provide Lewis Hamilton with a car capable of contending for a record eighth drivers' title.

Last edited:

Ahmer Baig

Aston Martin announce Lance Stroll will miss the start of pre-season testing after suffering a "minor accident" while cycling. Aston Martin announce Lance Stroll will miss the start of pre-season testing after suffering a "minor accident" while cycling. On Twitter, it was said that Stroll had a cast on his right-arm. He will most likely be out a few races.

goalscholes

I think one of the mclaren drivers did it last year didn't they? But they may have had less running time due to their brake issues
Fair point. I'm not sure, but Alonso is 41 and worth a lot of money, so I'd imagine they'd manage him more carefully.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think one of the mclaren drivers did it last year didn't they? But they may have had less running time due to their brake issues
Fair point. I'm not sure, but Alonso is 41 and worth a lot of money, so I'd imagine they'd manage him more carefully.
Norris is also half Alonso's age which certainly helps with recovery.

They'll have to ease Alonso in, these cars are very tough on your body.