2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Banana Republic

Antony has a lot to prove after his first season.
You can give him that, being his first in the EPL and his first season with a new team.
But he has been very one dimensional and predictable, with little end result.

He now has to step up, or his place should, by rights, be up for grabs, with a list of players who could take his spot.
So far, he’s had a good pre-season and I’m convinced ETH will give him preference, but Pellistri now needs to be given some playing time to not only provide competition, but to give our right sided attacks, some variation.
He’s got the capability to worry a few defenders, with his fast, direct play and finally getting a target man to aim for.
I put Facundo ahead of Amad in the pecking order for now.

jesperjaap

Antony has a lot to prove after his first season.
You can give him that, being his first in the EPL and his first season with a new team.
But he has been very one dimensional and predictable, with little end result.

He now has to step up, or his place should, by rights, be up for grabs, with a list of players who could take his spot.
So far, he’s had a good pre-season and I’m convinced ETH will give him preference, but Pellistri now needs to be given some playing time to not only provide competition, but to give our right sided attacks, some variation.
He’s got the capability to worry a few defenders, with his fast, direct play and finally getting a target man to aim for.
I put Facundo ahead of Amad in the pecking order for now.
I have confidence Antony will do well this season and personaly feel the criticism has been way overboard, he was a little one dimentional, showy and inconsistent, but he wasnt teriible as many seem to make out. When comparing his first season to SAnchos, he was far better yet Sancho seemed to get support and he hasnt. I rate him really highly personally.

Same time I really want to see Pellestri get opportunities as I really like him and I like him most as the second option on the right for similar reasons to those you mention. Antony, Amad and Sancho all lack that killer pace and though all very skillful, they arent really palyers that go at full backs,,,,they are quite similar in that regard. Pellestri offers great pace from the bench and is also very direct, just what you want comign from the bench. I also think he is really good technically and that there is so much more to come from him. Dont rate him as highly, but I do feel he could if given the chances have an effect liek Garnacho last seaso. I dont rate him as highly, but I actually do rate him higher than Amad who personally I see more as a number 10 long term which counts against him with current formations and players at the club already.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is completely different style right side player to Antony, and I don't see a reason why he shouldn't be one of first forwards subs if we are chasing the game, but even if we are closing the game he can be good option for counter attack.

Certainly better sub than Sancho.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Final ball/productivity aside, he's just as direct as Garnacho. He's not going to get it but if he has an equal run in the team, he could be very useful.
He's a player who would likely benefit from our new striker, part of the problem is he doesn't have a pass to make so tries to do it all himself and runs in to traffic

Bertie Wooster

Definitely think there's a PL standard player in Pellistri, and it's a shame how he's been used so far with poor loans to Alaves and a bit part player with us last season.

He's an old school winger, best playing on the side of his strongest foot rather than as an inverted winger which is often the preference nowadays.

But there's room for alternatives types in a squad and his pacy and direct running, and willingness to cross a lot more rather than mostly look to shoot, is something that could be a useful tactic if utilised correctly.

I'd like to see him stay and get a proper chance as a genuine squad player. But if staying would mean him playing as infrequently as last season, then I'd prefer a loan. And probably to the Championship rather than another loan abroad.

RuudTom83

With Antony being very one dimensional (not hating) it's nice to have Pellistri as a completely different option.

Pellistri is perfect for running at a tired full back in the last 30-20 minutes when they have spend the first hour chasing Antony inside.

Glorio

He scares full backs, that in itself could help us pin teams back. I hope EtH is open enough to give these kids a chance when they do impress

zaafi

With Antony being very one dimensional (not hating) it's nice to have Pellistri as a completely different option.

Pellistri is perfect for running at a tired full back in the last 30-20 minutes when they have spend the first hour chasing Antony inside.
Exactly. If we're in need of goals, I think it would be a lot better for us to bring in Pellistri over Sancho.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
We need a big squad. We play in multiple competitions.
We do play in multiple competitions, but the manager would have to change his philosophy and I can't see him changing it

zenith

Pellestri can have a similar impact for us this season as garnacho had last season. He's fast and direct and that will scare defenders in the last 20 minutes of a game.

He's got an eye for a pass and a goal and does not shy away from defensive work. Very likable prospect

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I dont understand what this philosophy has to do with Pellistri, he is clearly good enough to play in our squad
You said "We need a big squad" - EtH seems not to like using one though, so half the time it won't matter who's in it! You're not wrong about Pellestri though

SAF is the GOAT

He'll be loaned out again, don't see him getting minutes in the team.

Can anyone give some insight about twente in the Dutch league? There was a report that ETH recommended to him to go there on lian and even spoke with the current manager there about him.

Is this team even suit him ? Hope they dont counter attack because he won't touch the ball exactly as he did at Alaves.

Last edited:

kaku06

Vulgarian
Maybe he isn’t impressing ten hag in training because other than that I don’t see any damn reason why he shouldn’t be a part of the team this season. The guy is direct, have maturity about his game, has quick feet, got decent pace and works hard too. But for some reason ten hag doesn’t take him seriously.

Gandalf

The injury to Amad makes it certain he will be loaned. That was the intention previously but there was a likelihood that one of Amad and Facu would stay with the team with Amad seen as more likely after his success at Sunderland. Any sense of a decision has been taken away by the fact that Amad cannot now go on loan due to his injury, there just won't be enough minutes for both once he is fit and it would be detrimental to Facu's development for him to spend another season getting occasional minutes off the bench. He has had 3 years of very little club football and needs to spend a season somewhere where he can start every game.

lysglimt

Scout
Once Hojland is up to speed, I would think Sancho’s minutes will be drastically reduced. There’s no room for him in this side. Rashford left, Hojland middle, Antony right. EtH probably remembers the Dortmund form. The false 9 experiment was interesting, maybe thats to be his role.
The way Sancho played today - he should get a lot of gametime. The Sancho we saw today was more like the Sancho from Dortmund - just that his teammates today were not the same quality

Wing Attack Plan R

The way Sancho played today - he should get a lot of gametime. The Sancho we saw today was more like the Sancho from Dortmund - just that his teammates today were not the same quality
Agreed, but Sancho isn't going to play that role or those minutes when the whole first team is available, or are you thinking EtH might go with a false 9 until either Marital or Hojland are fit?

Wing Attack Plan R

Pellestri can have a similar impact for us this season as garnacho had last season. He's fast and direct and that will scare defenders in the last 20 minutes of a game.

He's got an eye for a pass and a goal and does not shy away from defensive work. Very likable prospect
Yep, and he's one of the few I'd classify as having "game changer" potential. Bring him on when we need a goal with 20 minutes to go, he will terrorize defenders with his pace and his singlemindedness.

ManRed

He is a very good 'transition' option too however he needs game time as his final decision and ball is still lacking. 30 odd games will really take him up a notch and I really wish its in english league than in Dutch. Unless coach thinks he will improve on that quite a bit in a weaker league.

Devil You Know

I think we've got 3 options up top who'll split the game time as CF between themselves.

Rashford's a threat in behind, Hojlund's a target man, Sancho's a false 9.

It would have been nice to get an all-rounder who can do it all himself. But the next best thing is to have 3 players who can each to a bit of it.

criticalanalysis

He's a player who would likely benefit from our new striker, part of the problem is he doesn't have a pass to make so tries to do it all himself and runs in to traffic
Everyone in our team would benefit from Hojlund so we'll see there.

I think you're overrating Sancho's performance today. It's much better than last season and his approach play was good, with lots of skill and composure but his final ball, which is what he's known for, was quite poor. Didn't find DVB on that right penalty box cross, poor goal attempt when through 1 on 1 and far too cute when trying to play others in like Forson on the left wing. Last but not least, we've seen him have this kind of form last pre-season. I hope he steps up but I'm on the tentative side for now.

lysglimt

Scout
I think you're overrating Sancho's performance today. It's much better than last season and his approach play was good, with lots of skill and composure but his final ball, which is what he's known for, was quite poor. Didn't find DVB on that right penalty box cross, poor goal attempt when through 1 on 1 and far too cute when trying to play others in like Forson on the left wing. Last but not least, we've seen him have this kind of form last pre-season. I hope he steps up but I'm on the tentative side for now.

He made some misses in the final third, but his movement and sharpness was a lot better than I have ever seen from him at United - he just seems fitter.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think ETH likes that kind of wingers, he's all about inverted wide players. Bruno is the exception but his crossing and passing is top level.
Anyway, not sure about Pellistri, looks like a good ball carrier but isn't particularly quick and his close control in tight spaces is average. I think he might be useful in games that are very open, probably a better option than Sancho but I think he'll be gone next season.

He's an interesting option as he's a classic wide player that plays his role in different way compared to other attackers we have.

Trex

Cant we use him as an attacking fullback?
When we're chasing a game. Similar to how Valencia will retreat to fullback for Nani to play in front of him yeah. Considering both Dalot and Awb struggle in the final third.

Onerealunited

I like Pellistri a lot and i think that he as a minimum has the potential to develop to a decent squad player for us. However, he is still young and needs a lot of playing time and nurturing to develop into an adult player - like all young players.

a lot of the discussions and suggestions above are not much different than what was written and hoped for last pre season and we all know how much playing time he got during the 22/23 season.

taking into consideration that we have Antony, Sancho, Rashdord and Garnacho for the 2 wing positions competition is fierce. Take into account that ETH bought Antony for a significant amount and the club has invested a significant amount in Sancho everyone in and around the club would be very much biased to develop their game as much as possible.

In addition, we do also have Amad in the team as a minimum for the first part of the season. He is rumored to be out for the first part and assuming that he’s back in October then he would also be a competition for Pellestri as a minimum until end of year

as many of you, I hope and wish to see Pellistri in the team as soon as possible as he is very different to both Sancho and Antony, bud if we (ETH) cannot promise him 15-20 games throughout the year then I think we are all better of to loan him somewhere where he can develop his play. Ideally that would be to a club playing something similar to ETH philosophy and very importantly not to a team fighting for relegation

NoPace

Impressed me again today. Typically pleasing direct dribbling and made some clever runs off the ball. Hope we sign him to a long-term deal. If the price for that is him getting a loan to wherever he wants then fine.

zaafi

I don't think ETH likes that kind of wingers, he's all about inverted wide players. Bruno is the exception but his crossing and passing is top level.
Anyway, not sure about Pellistri, looks like a good ball carrier but isn't particularly quick and his close control in tight spaces is average. I think he might be useful in games that are very open, probably a better option than Sancho but I think he'll be gone next season.

He's an interesting option as he's a classic wide player that plays his role in different way compared to other attackers we have.
How do you conclude that he isn't quick and that his close control in tight spaces is average? He isn't Mbappé quick, but his quick feet and close control is exactly why he is difficult to stop without fouling him.
I guess his small, quick steps make him look slower than Rashford or Mbappé who are explosive with their long strides, but he's quick enough.

OptimisedRed

ETH seems to like him a good amount. He has only ever had good things to say about him, and I remember last season something along the lines of ETH saying that he deserved to be playing more because of his efforts in training. He just needs to keep up that level of commitment and he will force his way in to more appearances. His presence can only be a driving force for Antony to keep pushing on.
I'm sure he will get more game time this season-especially if we play anywhere near as much as last season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
ETH seems to like him a good amount. He has only ever had good things to say about him, and I remember last season something along the lines of ETH saying that he deserved to be playing more because of his efforts in training. He just needs to keep up that level of commitment and he will force his way in to more appearances. His presence can only be a driving force for Antony to keep pushing on.
I'm sure he will get more game time this season-especially if we play anywhere near as much as last season.
EtH is hardly going to say he crap is he? Of course he says good things about him, but last season his actions didn't match the words, Antony was subbed off virtually every match and Pellestri barely got on the pitch, much to the bafflement of many fans, especially when the sub was often Sancho and he rarely made any difference, heck even Weghorst was getting on before Pellestri - personally I think if he's offered a loan move then he should leave because if he can't make regular appearances now he's never going to and that IMO would be a shame

Borninthe80ts

I like him a lot. Never stops running, has a better pass on him than people might think, and I think his versatility can help us be really fluid up front. He makes shit happen.

When he is in full flow he reminds me of Aimar, lovely dribbling ability and glides past players. Just needs games.

criticalanalysis

He made some misses in the final third, but his movement and sharpness was a lot better than I have ever seen from him at United - he just seems fitter.
I think we've seen him fit and sharp like this many times before with us. The problem was that it was in one-off games or like in last year's preseason i.e not enough sustained games. Anyways, my original point wasn't that Sancho isn't playing well, it's the deriding of his team mates in that game like he was a one-man team when it was far from that.

kundalini

Decent attempt off-target from Fernandes' super pass; did well to get a touch. One moment when both Pellistri and Wan-Bissaka failed to track a Wolves player leading to a dangerous situation. Wasn't involved much as we were defending the lead.

Alemar

The good thing is he has been given 15 minutes (even more with so long added time) in the first game of the season already.

However, he shouldn’t expect that many chances - Martial and Hojlund will be getting minutes, Amad will recover, maybe also MG. so for Pellistri it would be important to take opportunities quickly

Idxomer

Because of his performance in this match?
Because he has no physicality whatsoever which showed every time he stepped on the pitch for United.

He didn't offer much help for AWB defensively. That doesn't matter anyway because when he competes for the ball, he might as well not be there.