Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattofManchester

He's shit. He always has been shit. He always will be. Get over it and accept that reality.

He has a great many limitations and it was extremely dumb of us to pay 80m for him.

This "he's a good defender" nonsense needs to stop. We've shipped a ridiculous amount of goals with him in the team, as have all his previous teams. For the standards of Manchester United, he is a diabolical defender.
For the standards of, let's say, Villa, he'd be a good player. Actually, after this season, probably not.

Never seen a defender make mistake after mistake after mistake for two seasons(the mistakes just got more obvious) and still be considered as "going through a bad patch" and "reliable".

The lengths people have gone through to make every excuse for this guy is incredible.
Other players get more fecking criticism than he does, meanwhile Maguire has direct participation in a conceded goal or opportunity every fecking week. Usually more than once a game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
he was pretty shit today though mate, to be fair

that long clearance that somehow turned into a chance for Burnley for school-boy stuff
He made a mistake. So that means he was horrible the entire game? It always amazes me how people with agendas only see what they want to see. Maguire was given the lowest ranking on the squad in a match where we only allowed 3 shots on goal. Yes, he should have attacked that ball. No doubt. But that doesn't mean he was poor all game. I'm also not saying he was man of the match. It was probably an average performance. But in order for our supporters to give him that average 6/10 he's going to have to put in an 8 or 9 to get it

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I am assuming this includes you as well because what you are talking about is absolutely nonsense. Maguire just wasn’t quick enough to close down Lennon. This isnt the first time when he has been humiliated in 1vs 1 situation. Its not scapegoating when you point flaws in a player. Maguire pace is not suited to play high line and his on the ball ability isnt good enough.
It is scapgoating when our player gave the ball away in a very dangerous area that put Maguire in that situation in the first place. There was nothing wrong with his defending. He was forcing him wide and Lennon had one area to shoot at and he happened to find it. If that was Greenwood we would be talking about how great a finish that was, not how poor the defender was. But because it's Maguire, he takes all the blame...

R'hllor

JM wanted him, Ole got him, out of all things, price we paid etc. i still dont understand how the feck he became a captain after 3 min being in the club.

Tarrou

He made a mistake. So that means he was horrible the entire game? It always amazes me how people with agendas only see what they want to see. Maguire was given the lowest ranking on the squad in a match where we only allowed 3 shots on goal. Yes, he should have attacked that ball. No doubt. But that doesn't mean he was poor all game. I'm also not saying he was man of the match. It was probably an average performance. But in order for our supporters to give him that average 6/10 he's going to have to put in an 8 or 9 to get it
he was rubbish for their goal as well, backed off and allowed the shot

it was home against Burnley, so he was never going to have a lot to do

most of what he does in games like that is just pass it around at the back

but he still managed to have two really poor moments, therefore yes he had a shit game

Marwood

I'd be Ok with Lindelof replacing him for a while but Victor has Covid and had a heart monitor fitted so I think we might not see him again for a while.

Bailly is probably injured but even if he isn't he's off to the ACN soon.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mengi get a run but I can understand why Ralf would stick with Maguire.
Didn't Rangnick say Lindelof is absolutely fine. No symptoms. Just a case of finishing his isolation.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
he was rubbish for their goal as well, backed off and allowed the shot

it was home against Burnley, so he was never going to have a lot to do

most of what he does in games like that is just pass it around at the back

but he still managed to have two really poor moments, therefore yes he had a shit game
So you expect Maguire to get tight against Lennon as he's dribbling at him? Give your head a massive shake. I've heard people say he should have stood his ground and they are sooooo wrong. He did would he should have in that situation. Lennon deserves the credit and if anyone should be blamed it's Bailly for giving the ball away in such a horrible area. But I get it. You don't have an agenda against Bailly. Imagine if that was Maguire who gave the ball away there? The pitchforks would be out....

Hester_manc

Maguire has not played well this season, but people's memory is short. He was great for us last season and when he got injured we played bad. Many of the English players who were at the European Championships this summer have struggled with form. Harry Kane scored 4 goals in 16 games and he is only just starting to look like himself again. Saka has also only just started to play well again. Luke Shaw played well in the last match for the first time in a long, long time, maybe the small break did him good. Maguire will probably find the shape again sooner or later. Support him in the meantime. And Rashford....

Last edited:

Tarrou

So you expect Maguire to get tight against Lennon as he's dribbling at him? Give your head a massive shake. I've heard people say he should have stood his ground and they are sooooo wrong. He did would he should have in that situation. Lennon deserves the credit and if anyone should be blamed it's Bailly for giving the ball away in such a horrible area. But I get it. You don't have an agenda against Bailly. Imagine if that was Maguire who gave the ball away there? The pitchforks would be out....
yeah I thought it was a mistake to back off and allow a free shot, if he went in for the tackle and got skinned, the worst that would happen would be a shot with a similar chance of success.. but more likely he’d have been forced wide and into a less dangerous position to shoot

I don’t have an agenda against Maguire mate, I just think he had a shit game

feel free to check my posting history on the guy I can barely remember criticising him ever

VictoriaRed

I echo similar sentiments: he should be replaced as Captain. Someone said it before, it might take the pressure off-he clearly can't handle it-and it may help with his form. It's not like he's 18 and his ego will be destroyed. He should be able to carry on (operative should, which I'm not huge fan of, but in Harry's case, it fits!).

Ixion

People try to tell me that they don't scapegoat Maguire meanwhile they gave him the lowest marks on the game today. You guys are pathetic. Unbiased and real ratings from whoscored gave him 6.76 today. Which doesn't make him a world beater, but puts him on par with Bailly today who was 6.8. But that's what happens when you get unbiased opinions who know a little thing or two about football, unlike you lot...

Harry Maguire Match Statistics (whoscored.com)
Eric Bailly Match Statistics (whoscored.com)
Baily £30m, barely plays
Maguire £80m and captain, always plays

Also Baily was jetlagged flying around to be back for the game yet is still getting higher ratings than Maguire. Maguire should be putting in Vidic level performances for his role.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Baily £30m, barely plays

Also Baily was jetlagged flying around to be back for the game yet is still getting higher ratings than Maguire. Maguire should be putting in Vidic level performances for his role.
Ratings On here?

Ixion

Ratings On here?
No on whoscored.com, the site he was citing as being unbiased. So despite being captain, never being dropped, Baily being jetlagged and rusty and costing 80m Maguire got a lower rating on an unbiased site apparently. And that's what he's using to say people are unfair on Maguire.

Ultimately he gets judged to a higher standard because he gets treated differently than other players.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think our expectations, which were fueled by Ole handing the armband to him and the club paying 80m make him seem worse than he actually is. Sure he has made so many blunders this season but if you judge him by his average performances in United shirt over the years, he's done alright. Nothing special. Thats all he is and thats all he was at Leicester. Its just that our expectations make him look so shit, when he joined the expecations were solid defender, can play out from the back, can be an aerial threat when all we really needed was a reliable and consistent defender. Sometimes he did look like he played from the back just for the sake of doing it without any purpose whatsoever. I wonder if the expectations got to his head. He must be under pressure right now. I'd say atleast take the armband off. He should be focusing on his own performance, let alone his teammates.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel a bit sad for him.

The price wasn't written by him.
The captains arm band wasn't written by him.
The undroppable nature wasn't written by him.

Yet he gets alot of dissapointment and finger pointing at done by the ex players and fans.

Hope the captain armband can be given to De Gea and just let him go back to playing football without fingers and eyes putting pressure on him every opportunity people get.

United are in a state where not a single player is in form, if we had to find our most in form it's probably De gea which says alot - when we are as a club playing shit, De Gea turns to a superhero between the goals. Always has.

I just feel like Maguire is the same as everyone else with no form - but to alot of people he is not allowed to be because of what he wears on his arm.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It’s something new he has started to do. When he has a shortcoming in a duel he fakes an injury, dives, or something.
The thing I truly hate the most about him is how he completely stops running when appealing for offsides. There is VAR anyway so he should cut out this shit. Atalanta scored a goal like that vs us because he was too busy appealing for an offside

Lord Zlatan

He's a 30-35 million pound rotation player. Nothing more. We should be buying a world-class (or close to world-class) CB to partner Varane and have them as our first choice starters, and have Lindelof and Maguire as backup when the other two need a rest. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen because the man has been elevated above his level due to the fee paid and the fact that he was, inexplicably, made captain.

Unless Ralf or the next manager has the stones to strip him of his captaincy, he's going to continue to be the first player on the team sheet. That's a bit of a problem.
This.

Water Melon

He's a 30-35 million pound rotation player. Nothing more. We should be buying a world-class (or close to world-class) CB to partner Varane and have them as our first choice starters, and have Lindelof and Maguire as backup when the other two need a rest. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen because the man has been elevated above his level due to the fee paid and the fact that he was, inexplicably, made captain.

Unless Ralf or the next manager has the stones to strip him of his captaincy, he's going to continue to be the first player on the team sheet. That's a bit of a problem.
Seconded

A-man

The thing I truly hate the most about him is how he completely stops running when appealing for offsides. There is VAR anyway so he should cut out this shit. Atalanta scored a goal like that vs us because he was too busy appealing for an offside
He really has to stop all this things (appealing for offside, diving, etc) and focus on the game 100% instead. As you say, VAR will take care of it.

ur2cdanger

His only advantage right now is he is less injury prone. At any point, two of Bailly, Varane and Lindelof are injured which means he always gets to play.

HailtotheKing

He really has to stop all this things (appealing for offside, diving, etc) and focus on the game 100% instead. As you say, VAR will take care of it.
He has to stop all of those things and the pointing he does where he dwells too long on the ball, plays it sideways then points to tell the other guy to play it forward. Infuriating. Then again everything infuriated me about Maguire right now. He’s just not a captain. He needs the pressure taken off him so he can focus on his game. Even his new years message passed me off - “thanks for all the support this year” and then photo after photo of himself. What about the bloody team? That just sums it up for me. Contract to Ronaldo’s message about how we must work harder and be better. That’s a captain’s message.

Ludens the Red

fecking hate that and people have picked up on it.
He did a big one in the first half against Burnley (it was his fault too) and the East Stand went absolutely mental at him.
Been a while since I’ve been to a home game but I was amazed at how loathed he was by game going fans.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Baily £30m, barely plays

That's right...I forgot that the players set their price and are accountable for it

AFC NimbleThumb

That's right...I forgot that the players set their price and are accountable for it
He’s not accountable for his fee, he’s accountable for his performances - which fall well below the fee the club saw fit to spend on him.

You can play as wilfully ignorant as you like or just blame Goldbridge again but a player bought for ‘X’ will always be judged differently to a player bought for ‘Y’ - the outlay isn’t something you can dismiss, clubs don’t spend £80mil on every other CB.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
fecking hate that and people have picked up on it.
He did a big one in the first half against Burnley (it was his fault too) and the East Stand went absolutely mental at him.
Been a while since I’ve been to a home game but I was amazed at how loathed he was by game going fans.
I shouldn't laugh but I cannot help it just imagining the collective groans :lol:

A-man

He has to stop all of those things and the pointing he does where he dwells too long on the ball, plays it sideways then points to tell the other guy to play it forward. Infuriating. Then again everything infuriated me about Maguire right now. He’s just not a captain. He needs the pressure taken off him so he can focus on his game. Even his new years message passed me off - “thanks for all the support this year” and then photo after photo of himself. What about the bloody team? That just sums it up for me. Contract to Ronaldo’s message about how we must work harder and be better. That’s a captain’s message.
Those “things” probably annoy fans more than actual mistakes. IMO he going through a very bad period, which can happen. The problem is that he’s undroppable. Atm, when we don’t have CBs available, I can understand it, but it’s been the same the whole season.

RUCK4444

Players are viewed by some fans primarily through their price tag. Very odd, you might as well compare them by star sign because neither should factor in to their performances.

That’s not a defence of Maguire in particular, just something that happens a lot.

Giggsyking

Why is he playing so bad now? he was always a slow player, nothing new, but he was good positionally and good on the ball, good in reading the game, but I guess his bad form is taking too long now he needs to be dropped.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Im beginning to think he can’t handle the pressure. I mean he can’t fail to notice the criticism. It’s weird how he can go and look like a different player for England but like a league 1 CB for United.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Im beginning to think he can’t handle the pressure. I mean he can’t fail to notice the criticism. It’s weird how he can go and look like a different player for England but like a league 1 CB for United.
do you think him being Captain is good for him or good for the team?

I dont, I think he might feel relieved of that burden and maybe get some of his form back.
He is a massive problem at the minute with that armband.

AFC NimbleThumb

We knew all we needed to know about Maguires fragility when he cupped his hands to his ears after scoring against a few farmers & bankers for England having delivered some of the worst CB form in recent memory.

Stadjer

Another disappoint . Slow with the ball and poor defending.

Whoscored ratings doesn’t translate to performance. Last game Varane had a horrible match but still got 7.0 whoscored rating.
The most suprising to me is that Maguire got a 5.79 for the Leicester game and a 5.76 for the Liverpool game. With a 5.5. mark you pass a class, no way he passed in those games.

Marwood

Posting things on Instagram has nothing to do with being a captain. Whatever anybody says on there, it's just a few typed words. Meaningless.

HailtotheKing

Posting things on Instagram has nothing to do with being a captain. Whatever anybody says on there, it's just a few typed words. Meaningless.
I generally agree. But I feel like it says a bit about the player when he’s captain of the club and posts a bunch of images with only him in them. While a Ronaldo talks about the team needing to be better and work harder. That’s just more of a captain type thing to say.

Roux

Why is he playing so bad now? he was always a slow player, nothing new, but he was good positionally and good on the ball, good in reading the game, but I guess his bad form is taking too long now he needs to be dropped.
He's never been good at any of those things imo - in fact those are what he's always been poor at:

• Positioning - he always seems to be the one player keeping the opposition onside
  • On the ball - awful passer, plays himself and others into trouble
  • Reading of the game - slows things down when we are drawing or losing, panics when we are in control
I've seen all these traits since he started at United, but they have just been amplified much more this season.

Last edited:

Satsuma United

United missed his long passing last night.

Varane, Jones, Matic are so limited in that and Mctominay is a box to box so we didnt have anyone who could carry the ball from the back, Wolves had a walk in the park, they pushed high because they knew no one could unleash a long pass to our strikers and wingers.

Hopefully our captain will be available fot the next match.

Status
Not open for further replies.