Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippycup

How did you or the author of that tweet get that from that clip? All Ogden confirmed there was that the source wasn't Maguire himself and not that the source wasn't close to Maguire!
One of the first questions asked was 'Is your source right'
Ogden then goes on to answer the question like its the "sources" opinion and not something Maguire actually said.

His source is himself

kaku06

Ogden then goes on to answer the question like its the "sources" opinion and not something Maguire actually said.

His source is himself
Nobody said that the source is Maguire himself. It’s mentioned by Ogden that the source is close to Maguire. How do you know the source isn’t close to Maguire ?

b82REZ

His source is himself
You're just seeing what you want. He's just retelling his article.

The lengths some people go to to defend Maguire is truly mindboggling.

TsuWave

His source is himself
So because he said the source is not Maguire that means the sourse is himself, what?

The report literally says "source close to Maguire". At no point was it presented as Maguire himself. The clip is just Ogden reiterating that the source is not Maguire.

Zippycup

You're just seeing what you want. He's just retelling his article.

The lengths some people go to to defend Maguire is truly mindboggling.
I have a source that tells me he didn't say it. It's exactly the same thing as Ogden has done, yes?
I'm not defending Maguire I'm simply not believing a story with zero proof that he actually said it .Well except the source that cannot be named which is very convenient.

Tell me, do you believe everything that a journalist says, especially articles with no evidence to back it up, Or do you simply believe the ones you want to believe and rubbish the ones you don't?.
Lets not forget that Sir Alex Ferguson banned Ogden from the press room at Old Trafford for talking bollocks.

If evidence comes out that he actually said what he said then that's a completely different story, but it hasn't and until then ill treat the story like it deserves to be treated.

AlPistacho

To be honest, no rational fan would be offended by what they have said either.
Football is about opinions. You don’t find 3 professional footballers calling fans “stupid” “click baiting” “having no lives” simply because they express an opinion about Maguire as being disrespectful to fans?

I’d say it was disrespectful even if they were speaking about fans expressing an opinion I disagreed with. On Monday night football, do you ever hear Gary Neville or Charagher refer to the other as stupid, having no life, or attention seeking simply because one has an opinion that the other disagrees with?

But the ironic thing, is that it is often pundits (not the two I mentioned) who say outlandish things online. Things that genuinely sound bizarre, make no sense, and you do have to wonder if they are doing to increase traffic and interactions on their social media.

Zippycup

So because he said the source is not Maguire that means the sourse is himself, what?

The report literally says "source close to Maguire". At no point was it presented as Maguire himself. The clip is just Ogden reiterating that the source is not Maguire.
"The report literally says "sources close to Maguire" What source? The great unnamed?
Come on. Its the journalists get out of free card, they can make up any bull-crap they want and defer any accountability to the story behind immunity of source.

phelans shorts

Football is about opinions. You don’t find 3 professional footballers calling fans “stupid” “click baiting” “having no lives” simply because they express an opinion about Maguire as being disrespectful to fans?

I’d say it was disrespectful even if they were speaking about fans expressing an opinion I disagreed with. On Monday night football, do you ever hear Gary Neville or Charagher refer to the other as stupid, having no life, or attention seeking simply because one has an opinion that the other disagrees with?

But the ironic thing, is that it is often pundits (not the two I mentioned) who say outlandish things online. Things that genuinely sound bizarre, make no sense, and you do have to wonder if they are doing to increase traffic and interactions on their social media.
I don’t listen to what most fans say because they’re idiots, and they’re not directing vitriol at me like they do the players, so no I don’t find it disrespectful in the slightest.

CarbonStoolBites

Would our history over the last 3/4 years have been any worse with Chris Smalling there? He may go down as the biggest waste of money in Premier League history (fingers crossed Darwin Nunez)
No, it would’ve been better. Chris Smalling knows how to defend, on top of being rapid and a far superior athlete to Maguire.

little.triangles

I have a source that tells me he didn't say it. It's exactly the same thing as Ogden has done, yes?
I'm not defending Maguire I'm simply not believing a story with zero proof that he actually said it .Well except the source that cannot be named which is very convenient.

Tell me, do you believe everything that a journalist says, especially articles with no evidence to back it up, Or do you simply believe the ones you want to believe and rubbish the ones you don't?.
Lets not forget that Sir Alex Ferguson banned Ogden from the press room at Old Trafford for talking bollocks.

If evidence comes out that he actually said what he said then that's a completely different story, but it hasn't and until then ill treat the story like it deserves to be treated.
:lol::lol::lol:

Ogden is a journalist with a long standing career in the field with sources and with procedures he follows because he does it professionally.

You are Zippycup on Redcafe.

b82REZ

Where do you draw the line with not believing articles without named sources?

The order of probability is Maguire, or someone close to him has been leaking to the press. There is enough circumstancial evidence to corroborate that. Mainly the obscene amount of leaks and dressing room stories that have come out since he joined.

Is he the only leaker, highly unlikely; is he or a representative of his leaking, most likely.

Your stance is that you will not believe any article if the journalist doesn't betray their source. In that case there is going to be an incredibly small amount of articles that qualify for the Zippycup mark of excellence.

TsuWave

"The report literally says "sources close to Maguire" What source? The great unnamed?
Come on. Its the journalists get out of free card, they can make up any bull-crap they want and defer any accountability to the story behind immunity of source.
If he were to give his source up, he wouldn’t have sources. It’s the nature of journalism. If you choose not to believe him or his reports, you have the right to do so, but banging keyboard about “oh he’s making it up” is a bit of an odd approach. I mean Maguire could vehemently deny the reports if he feels strongly about it

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How did you or the author of that tweet get that from that clip? All Ogden confirmed there was that the source wasn't Maguire himself and not that the source wasn't close to Maguire!
It's odd how he answers the question like it's his own opinion, almost forgetting he's talking about a 'source' at all.

little.triangles

It's odd how he answers the question like it's his own opinion, almost forgetting he's talking about a 'source' at all.
That's because the presenter asked him "has he got a point, Mark, your source?" and he was indeed giving his opinion after that.

mu4c_20le

If he were to give his source up, he wouldn’t have sources. It’s the nature of journalism. If you choose not to believe him or his reports, you have the right to do so, but banging keyboard about “oh he’s making it up” is a bit of an odd approach. I mean Maguire could vehemently deny the reports if he feels strongly about it
Wait, how can he deny the reports if they're anonymous? Should he have to come out and say "that's not how I feel!!" everytime there's rumours circulating around?

Tony247

I don't care what he said, if he said. He is not a very good defender and that he is out of form is making the matter worse. Hope he recovers because we need a good backup CB.

Zippycup

:lol::lol::lol:

Ogden is a journalist with a long standing career in the field with sources and with procedures he follows because he does it professionally.

You are Zippycup on Redcafe.
It doesn't matter what he is or what he claims to be.
Suddenly Odgen is trustworthy because the story is a negative one about Maguire. Fecking Odgen of all people. Behave.

Point is. If you can't prove your source then it's pointless.

The very large majority of journalists, especially sports journalists make their money by creating stories. I'm sure you know this.

little.triangles

It doesn't matter what he is or what he claims to be.
Suddenly Odgen is trustworthy because the story is a negative one about Maguire. Fecking Odgen of all people. Behave.

Point is. If you can't prove your source then it's pointless.

The very large majority of journalists, especially sports journalists make their money by creating stories. I'm sure you know this.
You should read up about how journalism works. You are embarrassing yourself here.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
There's alot to unpick here.

A- Maguire is a half decent CB. Sure he lacks the pace to play in a high line, he needs someone to do the thinking for him as he lacks ability to scan what's happening around him and positioning and he's certainly no captain however he's not Phil Jones. The guy is built like a rock which makes him physically imposing, he's good in air, he rarely gives away ball possession (mainly because he plays safe) and on top of that he never gets injured. He'd be a great asset in a team that defends in numbers and plays in a deep line which mean nearly all EPL sides (bar top 6) and Serie A clubs

B- Maguire will always be more noticed then anyone else. He's our captain, he's the most expensive CB in the world and the cornerstone on which England's national team's defence is built upon. We all know that the majority of pundits are pro England and the fact that Maguire is stuck on the bench is bad news for them and the nation. They will keep him relevant.

C- These 'leaks' are definitely coming from Maguire's camp else he would rubbish them. Its also consistent to what he had done prior with his agent telling Rio to back off

D- Its within Maguire's interest to up the pressure. Players who stay silent while sitting on the bench ends up like VDB or Phil Jones. Maguire is too big for that (England int, United captain, most expensive defender etc). There's no such thing as bad publicity and if we're dead set in not giving him first team football then its only plausible for him to stink the whole place up until the club sells him for next to nothing. That (+B) has its own set of consequences as the more he or his mates in the media engage into this tactic, the more he'll piss fans off who will turn on him more. No one gives a feck about what a reserve player think especially one who had proved himself to be a big waste of money.

E- United supporters are United supporters not this or that player supporters. Actually United's decline is partly down to us protecting players far too much (Jones, Shaw, Lingard, Welback etc)

Conclusion - Maguire needs to leave and we need to sell him ASAP. Else this will end up badly (more leaks, more media scrutiny, every defeat being blamed for us not playing Maguire etc).
I agree with the conclusion and point D is an important one.

Marwood

Because within just a few seconds it switches from "the source thinks" to "I think"

Amazing how Ogden has found a source that believes exactly what he does. Even down to the wording.

Zippycup

You should read up about how journalism works. You are embarrassing yourself here.
Because I don't believe Odgen? Bloody hell. You do know who Mark Odgen is?

Bloody hell. Suddenly journalists are trust worthy and their stories must be taken as gospel. I'd guarantee had this story broke about a popular player everyone would be calling him out on his bullshit.

RuudTom83

So much pressure on the guy…it’s getting ridiculous now.

Feel for him tbh must feel like the world is against him.

little.triangles

Bloody hell. Suddenly journalists are trust worthy and their stories must be taken as gospel. I'd guarantee had this story broke about a popular player everyone would be calling him out on his bullshit.
It's hard to take any of your arguments seriously when you intentionally posted a misleading summation of a Twitter video. It's not just journalism you need to brush up on.

OmarUnited4ever

Because within just a few seconds it switches from "the source thinks" to "I think"

Amazing how Ogden has found a source that believes exactly what he does. Even down to the wording.
I don't think Ogden is a good football journalist, but come on mate, you are better than this.

The host asked Ogden's opinion on what the "source" said, hence why Ogden said "I think" and gave his opinion on what the source said.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So much pressure on the guy…it’s getting ridiculous now.

Feel for him tbh must feel like the world is against him.
First time I hear someone holding bench is under pressure. He's free to ask to leave and find a new club.

However, that's not what Mr. Billy Big Bollocks wants - he wants to go on about being United captain while being an utterly mediocre in his position and then cries for sympathy.

As I've mentioned before, you people need to decide if you want to treat him like a United captain or a youth product. If he wants to be captain, pressure is the least he'd expect from both United and England fans.

Marwood

I don't think Ogden is a good football journalist, but come on mate, you are better than this.

The host asked Ogden's opinion on what the "source" said, hence why Ogden said "I think" and gave his opinion on what the source said.
What do you mean better than this? I'm not alleging something terrible or wildly outlandish.

Ogden has apparently found a source close to Maguire who believes exactly what he does, word for word. What an incredible coincidence.

You can believe that if you want to.

I believe sports journalists make things up. I believe this source is just Mark Ogden and his opinion. But dressed up as a source it gets a lot more attention.

Like we've seen in this thread, with lots full on believing its Maguire himself.

Marwood

I'm amazed so many posters still think football journalists are men of integrity who would never invent a story.

OmarUnited4ever

What do you mean better than this? I'm not alleging something terrible or wildly outlandish.

Ogden has apparently found a source close to Maguire who believes exactly what he does, word for word. What an incredible coincidence.

You can believe that if you want to.

I believe sports journalists make things up. I believe this source is just Mark Ogden and his opinion. But dressed up as a source it gets a lot more attention.

Like we've seen in this thread, with lots full on believing its Maguire himself.
I see, I don't believe the veracity of Ogden's report too, I thought your post earlier meant that Ogden inadvertently admitted he is the source which didn't happen.

TsuWave

Wait, how can he deny the reports if they're anonymous? Should he have to come out and say "that's not how I feel!!" everytime there's rumours circulating around?
He could easily distance himself from said reports by saying neither him or anyone close to him said or believe such things. Hell, even a tweet would do. And I did say “if he felt strongly about it”

crossy1686

career ending
Every now and again, a poster comes along with vehement support for a player that doesn't make any sense considering their form and makes me think they must be a family member.

RC89

Half of these things are you just looking with blinkers on. Look at these things objectively and you’ll see 75% of that stuff is nonsense.
Happy to consider your argument. Which of the above are objectively untrue?

NewYorkRed

He comes across as such an insecure person. “I didnt get dropped so I must have been great” “I made the team of the tournament” Like bro, you’re riding the bench and your national team just lost, maybe just let your football do the talking.

Chief123

Instead of worrying about whether the source is legit or who it is, can we just focus on the fact Maguire is shit and is nowhere near good enough for Utd. Never mind stripped of captaincy, he shouldn’t even have a place in the squad.

Even ETH has improved nearly every player who struggled last two years, yet Maguire is still rubbish. My source agrees he’s crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.