6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obiorahking_

He played false 9 for like 10 minutes though, then he was moved to the right.
I always felt like they were alternating, but good call nevertheless. I guess Mkhitaryan really needs to step it up these next few games

SidRed

Really poor performance. Seemed to lose the ball almost every time he got it.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am a big fan of him but yesterday he did not show anything.
Overall I think that him, Martial and Rashford would be our best front 3 but yesterday they did not click at all.
There was one moment when Mkhi started a great run to the left but Martial tried to go through the middle and immediately lost the ball.
Maybe we can see them against a smaller team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He just blindly ran against a wall of City players and lost the ball. He didnt create anything, couldnt hold on the ball and didnt help in the transition. That was a poor performance and I'd expect much more from him by now

Sparky10Legend

He just blindly ran against a wall of City players and lost the ball. He didnt create anything, couldnt hold on the ball and didnt help in the transition. That was a poor performance and I'd expect much more from him by now
I'm a big fan, but if we want to get back to the top, he's a sub, isn't he?

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
He seems down for a while now...no spark and smiles at all. Even when he scored against Anderlecht both games he never really enjoyed it and celebrated really...just look at his body language. We know from his Dortmund days that he is mentally fragile player that can look like absolute world beater when he's feeling good and then dissapear and lose confidence if something is wrong. He simply isn't happy for a while now, it's visible and his performance suffered due to that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Seriously doubt he'll be here the season after next.

He's a good player but woefully inconsistent.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Wouldn't be surprised if it is another Kagawa situation. A player who just doesn't work out here, the guy can score goals but during a game he can look both world class and pub level player in the span of two minutes.

Quite worrying.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Underwhelming in our big matches except for Spurs at home.

Need more from him. Hopefully he can be decisive in the EL.

Classical Mechanic

He's had some good games in the PL too.
He scored the winner against Spurs but aside from that his goals came against Sunderland and a Leicester side in free fall. Overall he has been a flat track bully.

I think we should be patient though. It took him three seasons to hit his peak in Germany.

I do wonder though if Mourinho is the best manager for mentally fragile players.

JoaquinJoaquin

He's had some good games in the PL too.
Some of the kneejerking after the game has been embarrassing. He was poor last night but it's not as if we exactly set out to play attacking football anyways. We will see better from him next season i'm sure. He is reknown for being a bit iffy in his first season at new teams anyways.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He scored the winner against Spurs but aside from that his goals came against Sunderland and a Leicester side in free fall. Overall he has been a flat track bully.

I think we should be patient though. It took him three seasons to hit his peak in Germany.

I do wonder though if Mourinho is the best manager for mentally fragile players.
I'd say that being a flat track bully in the League, combinee with consistently good performances in Europe is not bad at all for a first season at the club. A lot better than he did in his first season under Klopp, for example. Who epitomises the sort of touchy-feely nice guy you'd expect to get the best out of supposed mentally fragile players.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'd say that being a flat track bully in the League, combinee with consistently good performances in Europe is not bad at all for a first season at the club. A lot better than he did in his first season under Klopp, for example. Who epitomises the sort of touchy-feely nice guy you'd expect to get the best out of supposed mentally fragile players.
9 goals, 10 assists in his first league season for Klopp, too inconsistent and paling in comparison with Reus, Lewandowski or the departed Götze in regards to being a leading player, but not really terrible. That came in his second season.
Big matches were always a problem for him, even in his last season, so I wouldn't count on things changing in that regard.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Our forwards struggled with support. Yes it wasn't a good game from him but then Rashford and Martial both lost the ball in equal amounts.

They pressed us high and quickly and we didn't have the numbers forward to help play out of it. The fullbacks stayed at home and the midfield were far too slow to support, it's no surprise really.

Oh and the fact Atkinson seemed to let them tackle regularly at waist height and knock him over with no fouls given.

arthurka

EL- 588 minutes, 5 goals, 82.6% passing rate, 7.39 rating.

PL-1162 minutes, 4 goals, 84.3% passing rate, 7.03 rating.

Too many 4/10 games:)
HAHAHAHAHA

Our forwards struggled with support. Yes it wasn't a good game from him but then Rashford and Martial both lost the ball in equal amounts.

They pressed us high and quickly and we didn't have the numbers forward to help play out of it. The fullbacks stayed at home and the midfield were far too slow to support, it's no surprise really.

Oh and the fact Atkinson seemed to let them tackle regularly at waist height and knock him over with no fouls given.
This.. He had no space or lanes to pass into. But he wasn´t good by any stretch of the imagination..

GM K

If he was playing for Liverpool he'd be killing it right now. He needs a free flowing football side to get the best out of him .. in such a static negative team and with a manager like Jose on his back, is it any wonder he has been so inconsistent when he's already a notoriously flakey footballer.
I don't get this. Some of the best number 10s in recent times have played and thrived under Jose. Deco, Sneijder, Ozil, he even used Fabregas as a 10 and the lad thrived.

Ole90+3

He was incredibly isolated last night which resulted in him passing too quickly, or attempting to dribble away from his marker and running into a wall of City players. The isolation was either down to his poor positioning or, more likely, due to the defensive instructions deployed by Mourinho. Man City did incredibly well at closing down quickly and rejecting forward passes. Our whole team struggled to complete a pass. I find it harsh to use a game and strategy like we did last night to base serious criticism at a player.

I still think he has all the ability and work rate to become a good player for us, but he will need to improve next season in order to replicate the performances he displayed for Dortmund in his last season.

Overall, he has been underwhelming and I have been disappointed with his impact this season, but I'm more than happy for him to be given more time at United to show he can bring his game to the next level.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Very disappointing performance from him last night, but we didn't exactly play to his strengths.

Also, there's almost no point in Mkhitaryan trying to win anything in the air, I can't remember the last time he actually won an aerial duel.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't get this. Some of the best number 10s in recent times have played and thrived under Jose. Deco, Sneijder, Ozil, he even used Fabregas as a 10 and the lad thrived.
They're a different calibre in terms of touch/technique/footballing IQ and I wouldn't include Ozil as a typical example as he was used in a more attacking set up by Jose's standards.

What is common across all those players is 10/10 first touch, you'll never see those guys lose control of the ball and their decision making on the ball is top notch.. both short passes, long passes, through balls.

Mkhitaryan is quicker than all of them, but is brainless in comparison and very inconsistent in passing/technique.

This means in a counter-attacking set up, he can (with space) drive into if very effectively and grab goals) but when space is at a premium and the game is tight, high pressured.. he falls to pieces and looks bang average.

Yesterday was an awful performance and after yesterday I don't see him as anything but a squad player going forwards if we want to win the title or challenge for champions league. He is a talented footballer, but he's too flaky and his bottom level technically is poor. At his best, he's a genius, but at his worst.. he's terrible and for a team which is defensive.. we can't afford passengers up front, we need guys who are bang on it 9 times out of 10 and can make the most out of little possession.

In a team which dominates possession and in a free flowing team, he'd be fine I reckon but he's not the ideal link between midfield and attack we need. I can see him becoming a more support type player next year and possibly blossoming in such a role or being phased out altogether if he can't up his game.

GM K

They're a different calibre in terms of touch/technique/footballing IQ and I wouldn't include Ozil as a typical example as he was used in a more attacking set up by Jose's standards.

What is common across all those players is 10/10 first touch, you'll never see those guys lose control of the ball and their decision making on the ball is top notch.. both short passes, long passes, through balls.

Mkhitaryan is quicker than all of them, but is brainless in comparison and very inconsistent in passing/technique.

This means in a counter-attacking set up, he can (with space) drive into if very effectively and grab goals) but when space is at a premium and the game is tight, high pressured.. he falls to pieces and looks bang average.

Yesterday was an awful performance and after yesterday I don't see him as anything but a squad player going forwards if we want to win the title or challenge for champions league. He is a talented footballer, but he's too flaky and his bottom level technically is poor. At his best, he's a genius, but at his worst.. he's terrible and for a team which is defensive.. we can't afford passengers up front, we need guys who are bang on it 9 times out of 10 and can make the most out of little possession.

In a team which dominates possession and in a free flowing team, he'd be fine I reckon but he's not the ideal link between midfield and attack we need. I can see him becoming a more support type player next year and possibly blossoming in such a role or being phased out altogether if he can't up his game.

This is spot on.

I think when we fall in love with players here. We tend to become a bit too kind in the way we assess them. Mikhi and Martial were way too disappointing yesterday. The problem had nothing to do tactics. In a game where your big guns are missing, you expect players like Mikhi to take the game by the neck and dictate midfield play but the rate at which he lost the ball was shocking. We talk about Jose not giving Martial chances but how many times have we seen him play well in one game and then become average in the next?

Your post is the most balanced assessment of Mikhi I have read in a while.

Alabaster Codify7

Very poor last night but that goes for all of our attacking players. No link between midfield and attack on the rare occasions we managed to actually get the ball.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Very poor last night but that goes for all of our attacking players. No link between midfield and attack on the rare occasions we managed to actually get the ball.
I think that was his job. He had numerous opportunities to get a pass off to set up a counter but he inexplicably held on to it, trying to dribble, and lost possession.

rocks13

Not much output in the league but more impressive in the lower standard Europa League. Sounds rather like a description of Memphis Depay.

DanBorja

He was poor, same goes for Martial & Rashford (tho he looked like a threat as always), but I don't blame it on them, it was a really tough and defensive game. Either they were isolated up front or too far back defending without any space when given the ball.

Robertd0803

Doesn't seem to have any strength at all, it looks like a gust of wind would knock him over.

Dave46

Very disappointing performance from him last night, but we didn't exactly play to his strengths.

Also, there's almost no point in Mkhitaryan trying to win anything in the air, I can't remember the last time he actually won an aerial duel.
An assist to Mata a few games back.

Dave46

Jose's setup is a problem. He knows well that Fellaini is not a good passer to keep the tempo up. He brings Darmian in, who is shit going forward. Valencia also did not do a lot of support on the right. So as somebody mentioned, fullbacks stayed home, Herrera was busy with defensive duties, so was Carrick. Who is going to connect the midfield to an attack? Jose chose this tactic and instructed to do long balls to Rashford. As a result, Martial and Miki were isolated going forward, but they did do their defensive duties.
If Jose played Miki instead of Fellaini and front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Lingard, the story would have been different. Or Lingard instead of Fellaini and front 3 of Miki, Rashford and Martial.

MataFanatic

Think we can agree that Mhki is a top class player with bags of talent. His performances for Dortmund were incredible over the past few years. But it's becoming a bit of a worry when he tends to go missing in the big games. Needs to be delivering now against the likes of Arsenal and Spurs coming up in the next few weeks. No doubt he'll play because the squad is so decimated at the moment that Mourinho has no other options in midfield. Mhki has to start turning up in these big games.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
He was shite but Valencia didnt attack last night seemingly for tactical reasons so he was left extremely isolated
Correct, both fullbacks were held back and our attack suffered for it. But Mkhi hasn't been particularly good over a full 90 for some time though still has his eyecatching moments

AgentP

Despite having a mediocre season, I would consider Mkhi a success at United if he continues scoring in the Europa and wins us the trophy.

Wayne ahead of you

I think a lot of his potential is wasted because of the lack of understanding/communication between the attacking players. Earlier in the season it sometimes appeared as if the rest of the players up front couldn't keep up with Mkhitaryan's style of play. He would pass to a player, make a quick clever run, and then not receive the ball back because it was passed sideways or back instead. Maybe he got a bit discouraged. Hopefully we get our attack in order next season just as our solid defence this season, it would do him a world of good.

Reactions: Penna

sashiko

He looks a completely different player now to when he was recalled to the squad after a long exile. Around December and January, there was a spell when he was our MOTM in most of the matches. His energy was just infectious. He was constantly involved in most of our moves and looked our best attacking threat back then. He has scored goals lately in Europa but even in those matches they have masked over his performances.

I hope he can get back to his best soon. Being our most senior attacker, we need him more than ever.
He looks a completely different player now to when he was recalled to the squad after a long exile. Around December and January, there was a spell when he was our MOTM in most of the matches. His energy was just infectious. He was constantly involved in most of our moves and looked our best attacking threat back then. He has scored goals lately in Europa but even in those matches they have masked over his performances.

I hope he can get back to his best soon. Being our most senior attacker, we need him more than ever.
so the question is did HE change all of a sudden (and why???) or things around him change. People naively think it's because of the 1st season or his qualities but it's not. If that is a set of players, these are Mou's priorities and game ideas Mickey won't show anytning and he needs to looks for another club playing fast attacking football and employing that level of players.

sashiko

I think a lot of his potential is wasted because of the lack of understanding/communication between the attacking players. Earlier in the season it sometimes appeared as if the rest of the players up front couldn't keep up with Mkhitaryan's style of play. He would pass to a player, make a quick clever run, and then not receive the ball back because it was passed sideways or back instead. Maybe he got a bit discouraged. Hopefully we get our attack in order next season just as our solid defence this season, it would do him a world of good.
his face says everything

Dave46

I look at his last season for Dortmund and try to figure how it worked out for him. He got a lot of support from both fullbacks, Schmelzer and LP/ Ginter. Hummels was the ball playing CB, who would look for Miki to make that key 20-30 yard pass. Gundogan played to Miki a lot more than Pogba does. Auba and Reus had better understanding with Miki than Lingard, Rashford and Martial. They have been together for 3 years and read each others game perfectly.
As for Miki, his crosses and shots were a lot better last year. And of course Tuchel was more diplomatic than Jose in criticising his players.

I don't know if we should take too much from City game. Let's see how he finishes the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.