g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Henrikh Mkhitaryan image 22

Henrikh Mkhitaryan Armenia flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

23 goals and 32 assists in the league or overall cause they're 2 very different things ? Still great numbers either way.
Over a whole season in all competitions. The graph is further up. He had 11 goals and 20 assists in 35 league games for BVB, which is still crazy.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Very good in the first half. Has a tendency to go missing at times but if he keeps on contributing like he has, who gives a hoot?

criticalanalysis

Don't think we need him and Mata in the same team though
This.

Against a good defensive team like Leicester or basically most teams in the league it actually makes more sense to play someone like Herrera, who will then more of a platform for Pogba, Miki and others.

Thought Mata was poor today as there was no one for him link up or pick runs from.

Ashley R1+O

He gets bumped off the ball so easily, I think it is a "welcome to England" type of thing and I don't think he's bulked up at all from last season which I find strange. Still a pretty good attacking player to have when we're in transition and he's free in space though, on the turn and half turn when you compare man for man with Mata I think Mkhi has much more confidence and ability to trap, turn and go than Mata and it shows Mata up a little bit and why they seem to get in each others way a little bit.

Mkhizlatba

It was unfortunate that he was replaced soon after the first goal.
The game opened up and he would likely have caused Leicester some more problems. He has shown throughout his career that he is an exceptional player on the counterattack.
He did a lot of good things this game particularly off the ball.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Maybe Im a bit too sceptical and negative but still have some worries about some of our players. Credit where its due firstly, 5 assists is excellent in 3 games in whatever way you look at it. We lacked goals and assists kast year, it's good that he's stepped up so far and has contributed to that.

However Im not a big fan of what has been quite apparent, his and Pogba's game varies a lot during the 90 min. When the game is tight they dont really make the difference but they are still on quite a good/okay level. After scoring when the game opens up, they impose theirselves and then show their class. However on the highest level, almost all games will be tight and some even more after we score, we need players who then step up, force something, create something. In PL such players in recent years have been van Persie, Suarez, David Silva, Hazard, Alexis Sanchez, Coutinho to a lesser extent, Rooney, Fabregas and so on.

Miki and Pogba are just in their secons years, but I'd love them to gravitate towards that level of impact as they are very great player.

One thing they already do is get the ball quicker in the offensive third, which is a great improvement on the football of the previous years.

Mou will sort it out, I expect.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's the quicker transitions in the side, especially later on in matches. He's a super counter-attacking player.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He surely is getting into the flow. He had an ok'ish, solid overall game but Leicester closed down the middle extremely well. That meant we were forced to play out wide and there was no space for him.

prtk0811

He surely is getting into the flow. He had an ok'ish, solid overall game but Leicester closed down the middle extremely well. That meant we were forced to play out wide and there was no space for him.
That's where the posession tiki taka intelligent intricate stuff is used to grind down tight defenses Which Is where the penetration is achived, where as we gets forced out wide.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think in games where teams pack the middle so much, Mkhitaryan should be in the middle with Rashford and Martial on the wings. With their abilities on the ball, they're gonna be able to stretch the defense more than somebody like Mata. It was tough for Mkhitaryan to be strong, but he's had a lot of nice moments and overall a solid game.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Really rating this guy highly alongside Matic. For me the two stand out United players so far this season.

Goals scorers are important, but those assisting them often get overlooked.

itso 7

I think in games where teams pack the middle so much, Mkhitaryan should be in the middle with Rashford and Martial on the wings. With their abilities on the ball, they're gonna be able to stretch the defense more than somebody like Mata. It was tough for Mkhitaryan to be strong, but he's had a lot of nice moments and overall a solid game.
True especially looking at how unproductive Valencia has become on the right and how Mata looks reserved we could do with the fear of God that Rashford inspires in teams. Also looking at Rashford's cameo last week there were encouraging signs there because he wasn't looking to just be a kick and run merchant, his playmaking looked on another level imo. He won't reach Mata's level of passing but I think overally he would be more of a threat plus it would also help decongest the middle because we'd be less predictable and teams would need to focus on both wings which opens up space for Mkhi.

barmyarmy

Miki is supremely talented player, the reason why he got so many assist during his last season at dortmund was his teammates running behind the defenses.
Looking at that Pogba's assist against swansea if a player makes runs beyond him he certainly can find them. If we do it regularly this season he will definitely break the league record for assist.

Donsangre

He had a decent game against Leicester. I thought he was quiet but watching the highlights realized how much he contributed to the game. I love that thru pass at 3.55 to Martial, shame that Martial didnt hold on to it well. He is playing differently every game. More mature, I think Jose is affecting his game in a different way, making it less exciting but more mature. This could be useful for him in the future when he gets older and loses his speed.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
I was going through the posts and is it fair to say that we have rediscovered Nani.
Frustrating for large parts of the game.
Always ends up making a telling contribution. Hence the amazing stats.

ManuMou

I think his biggest weakness is composure in the final third, something that both Rooney and Mata have. For example, very often he gets bumped off the ball easily, outmuscled by opponents easily, loses the ball easily. If he works on that then he will become top class.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
The most influential outfield player in our team, according to this BBC article. (apologies if it's already been posted)

De Gea, Our Mickey, then Rojo - top three.

Darmian, Smalling and Rooney - bottom three.

Dante

Average bang
I need him to make a difference when the game is tight and even before I start idolising him. I really, really want the guy to convince me he's not a fairweather player. I was so hopeful when he arrived from Dortmund. I thought he'd kick-on. But, instead, he's played within himself until matches get stretched. Big games in the PL and CL don't go that way.

criticalanalysis

I was going through the posts and is it fair to say that we have rediscovered Nani.
Frustrating for large parts of the game.
Always ends up making a telling contribution. Hence the amazing stats.
Never thought about it like that but in many ways it's true. Nani was a far more talented player imo but both their outputs are very good.

I would say thought that both Nani and Miki have/are playing in systems that aren't fully gelled/set up to get the best of them though. Nani was a wide player on the right, where things happened when he got the ball and not so much because we played the ball to him. Same with Miki, things happen because something er happens on the pitch, not because we have created situations for him to thrive in.

I need him to make a difference when the game is tight and even before I start idolising him. I really, really want the guy to convince me he's not a fairweather player. I was so hopeful when he arrived from Dortmund. I thought he'd kick-on. But, instead, he's played within himself until matches get stretched. Big games in the PL and CL don't go that way.
To be honest, I would say that about the same of all our attacking minded players. Let's be honest, under Mourinho we're not going to be playing free flowing football like others do when we face strong opponents. That's not to say there won't be attacking intent but at this moment it will take years before we get to that stage of surpreme confidence to play our game regardless of the opposition.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Mkhitaryan is always involved in the game; the reason why people say he goes 'missing' is the same reason why people think Ozil goes 'missing'. They are mainly watching the ball. If Mkhitaryan can be seen then he is not doing his job properly as a number 10 in this system, he must be difficult to mark and track, he must operate in the spaces in between players. It is generally not possible to be missing while creating chances, because what a no.10 is doing is moving into spaces and creating passing lanes to test the opponents response. He then finds a space that can be exploited.

I was confident that if he can adapt to the English speed and physicality he will be one of our best players; because he showed his level in Europe where the game was closer to what he was accustomed to.

Arka_BleedingRed

Never thought about it like that but in many ways it's true. Nani was a far more talented player imo but both their outputs are very good.

I would say thought that both Nani and Miki have/are playing in systems that aren't fully gelled/set up to get the best of them though. Nani was a wide player on the right, where things happened when he got the ball and not so much because we played the ball to him. Same with Miki, things happen because something er happens on the pitch, not because we have created situations for him to thrive in.

To be honest, I would say that about the same of all our attacking minded players. Let's be honest, under Mourinho we're not going to be playing free flowing football like others do when we face strong opponents. That's not to say there won't be attacking intent but at this moment it will take years before we get to that stage of surpreme confidence to play our game regardless of the opposition.
Cmon, this is lazy analysis. A Mkhi on the counter attack is one of the most dangerous factors in our team. But, when not on the ball, he does not just stand at the top, waiting for the ball. He comes deep to get the ball, is closing down the spaces, making crucial defensive contributions, very good in both transitions. He is generally involved throughout the game, but it's just that sometimes his moves don't come off.

The comparisons with Nani is also a bit weird just because they both lose the ball a lot and are flair players. That is a risk any team must take because their these types of players will always try risky moves to change the game and sometimes it is bound to not come off. Any other creative player in the league not named Hazard suffers from this problem. Also, Mkhi has shown much more Intelligence and tactical understanding in his game than Nani ever did. Nani might be a more skillful player but I have doubts about him being more talented.

Mkhi has his issues, I know. He needs to tighten up his hold-up play and decision making, but I am already seeing improvements early in the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Arka_BleedingRed

Mkhitaryan is always involved in the game; the reason why people say he goes 'missing' is the same reason why people think Ozil goes 'missing'. They are mainly watching the ball. If Mkhitaryan can be seen then he is not doing his job properly as a number 10 in this system, he must be difficult to mark and track, he must operate in the spaces in between players. It is generally not possible to be missing while creating chances, because what a no.10 is doing is moving into spaces and creating passing lanes to test the opponents response. He then finds a space that can be exploited.

I was confident that if he can adapt to the English speed and physicality he will be one of our best players; because he showed his level in Europe where the game was closer to what he was accustomed to.
Good point! People expect every bit of our attacking play to go through Mkhi and expect him to play like Hazard. That is Pogba's role in the squad, as the talismanic midfielder capable of game changing moments single handedly. Mkhi is there to augment him, to contribute more in the final third as he is perfectly capable of scoring as well as assisting.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Good point! People expect every bit of our attacking play to go through Mkhi and expect him to play like Hazard. That is Pogba's role in the squad, as the talismanic midfielder capable of game changing moments single handedly. Mkhi is there to augment him, to contribute more in the final third as he is perfectly capable of scoring as well as assisting.
Mkhitaryan is very important for our transition; during a turnover of possession he is often the first player to receive the ball because he understands where the other team's defence is weak. Matic and Pogba are the centerpiece of our team (which is the way it should be because you win games by winning the midfield battle).

Mkhi's defensive contribution is also massively underrated; him and Matic have been very important in preventing counter attacks as well as covering the spaces when Pogba et al go forward.

criticalanalysis

Cmon, this is lazy analysis. A Mkhi on the counter attack is one of the most dangerous factors in our team. But, when not on the ball, he does not just stand at the top, waiting for the ball. He comes deep to get the ball, is closing down the spaces, making crucial defensive contributions, very good in both transitions. He is generally involved throughout the game, but it's just that sometimes his moves don't come off.

The comparisons with Nani is also a bit weird just because they both lose the ball a lot and are flair players. That is a risk any team must take because their these types of players will always try risky moves to change the game and sometimes it is bound to not come off. Any other creative player in the league not named Hazard suffers from this problem. Also, Mkhi has shown much more Intelligence and tactical understanding in his game than Nani ever did. Nani might be a more skillful player but I have doubts about him being more talented.
I never said anything Miki being not doing enough etc, in fact my intention was to highlight more the opposite; our teams aren't set up enough to make more of Miki's (and in the past Nani's) talents. When I think of the good contributional plays Nani and Miki make it's more from instances that arise in instinctive situations e.g opening of the pitch after an interception, drop of the shoulder, raw dribbling ability, pure pace etc. I think there's opportunity to find positions on the pitch where Miki can consistently deliver more progressive plays. Imo that would start with him playing centrally and having more natural wider players i.e not having Mata playing out wide then coming in to clog the space up.

Going off topic but for Nani, I guess a bit more support from Fergie and acknowledging that for a period of time he was most our dangerous player bar none. He should have been made more of a key player and be given more of a free roaming central role (if we were to retain Valencia on the right); he regularly created something out of nothing and we should have fed him the ball more. It could be rose tinted glasses but that's what I remember.

As for who's more talented, it's subjective so no point discussing there but imo Nani's ability and potential at a younger age showed more for me than Miki's peak now. It's close though, perhaps 'far more talented' was more jumping the gun :p

Arka_BleedingRed

I never said anything Miki being not doing enough etc, in fact my intention was to highlight more the opposite; our teams aren't set up enough to make more of Miki's (and in the past Nani's) talents. When I think of the good contributional plays Nani and Miki make it's more from instances that arise in instinctive situations e.g opening of the pitch after an interception, drop of the shoulder, raw dribbling ability, pure pace etc. I think there's opportunity to find positions on the pitch where Miki can consistently deliver more progressive plays. Imo that would start with him playing centrally and having more natural wider players i.e not having Mata playing out wide then coming in to clog the space up.

Going off topic but for Nani, I guess a bit more support from Fergie and acknowledging that for a period of time he was most our dangerous player bar none. He should have been made more of a key player and be given more of a free roaming central role (if we were to retain Valencia on the right); he regularly created something out of nothing and we should have fed him the ball more. It could be rose tinted glasses but that's what I remember.

As for who's more talented, it's subjective so no point discussing there but imo Nani's ability and potential at a younger age showed more for me than Miki's peak now. It's close though, perhaps 'far more talented' was more jumping the gun :p
Agreed. A more natural wide player on the right would do a world of good to Mkhi, playing at the center. We still have too many players demanding the ball, still very few actually providing the movement and the runs behind the defenders. About Nani, I get that you are biased towards him as he showed a lot of promise during his early days. But, his mentality and consistency always remained a question mark and was probably the only thing that prevented him from reaching world class status. If he had a mentality like Rashford, he would have certainly reached there, for in terms of pure skill and ability, he was almost Cristiano's level.

Status
Not open for further replies.