g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Henrikh Mkhitaryan image 22

Henrikh Mkhitaryan Armenia flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOrgazoid

6 to be correct.
Thanks for the stat. It hasn't changed my opinion of him being a luxury player that looks good when others are all doing their jobs, but doesn't have the ability to help carry his teammates when some are tired, missing or underperforming.
He is one of those passenger types.

I feel some weirdos don't want Miki to be sold, but also do not let him near first team. Let him just suffer.
That would be weird. Just sell one of him or Mata to to make space for Pereira (who should definately be given a chance).

ManuMou

Exactly. Mourinho isn’t a fool, like LVG was taking an age to drop Rooney. We can’t afford to carry any passengers this season, or going forward. Put on the shirt and earn it, or get left behind. Mhiki has had countless chances.
Exactly.

Jose had been super patient with him. He needs to work his way up again.

Dave46

Thanks for the stat. It hasn't changed my opinion of him being a luxury player that looks good when others are all doing their jobs, but doesn't have the ability to help carry his teammates when some are tired, missing or underperforming.
He is one of those passenger types.

That would be weird. Just sell one of him or Mata to to make space for Pereira (who should definately be given a chance).
I watched Mkhitaryan over the years a lot and he is no 10. Klopp' s experiment with him as 10 brought mixed results. So why was he successful under Tuchel?

1. Dynamic possession football, with good share of pressing and counter attacking options.
2. Strong 8, who would dictate the tempo of the game, Gundogan.
3. Ball playing CB, who would sometimes connect with Miki with 20-30 yard pass. Hummels.
4. Strong attacking fullbacks, who would enable him to move inside.
5. Interchangeability with other winger, Reus.
6. Dynamic forward, whose game does not depend on physicality.
7. Patient and not publicly punishing coach.

So, yes he functions in a good working team and I do not think he would achieve great results here. From all the listed things only Pogba fits the profile and maybe Lukaku a bit. I don't know, I don't see a great future for him here. He needs a different setup to function better.

ThanhlongTDK

Supports
Dortmund
I watched Mkhitaryan over the years a lot and he is no 10. Klopp' s experiment with him as 10 brought mixed results. So why was he successful under Tuchel?

1. Dynamic possession football, with good share of pressing and counter attacking options.
2. Strong 8, who would dictate the tempo of the game, Gundogan.
3. Ball playing CB, who would sometimes connect with Miki with 20-30 yard pass. Hummels.
4. Strong attacking fullbacks, who would enable him to move inside.
5. Interchangeability with other winger, Reus.
6. Dynamic forward, whose game does not depend on physicality.
7. Patient and not publicly punishing coach.

So, yes he functions in a good working team and I do not think he would achieve great results here. From all the listed things only Pogba fits the profile and maybe Lukaku a bit. I don't know, I don't see a great future for him here. He needs a different setup to function better.
You forgot to mention that he was release from no 10 position and pushed out wide so that he can't participate in dictating the play (Gundogan and Reus did this), which he was utter shit at.

NotQuiteManc

^^^
Not to mention those players that United from BD seems to fail at certain level most probably they are very accustomed to certain system only. Kagawa, Miki.

Dave46

You forgot to mention that he was release from no 10 position and pushed out wide so that he can't participate in dictating the play (Gundogan and Reus did this), which ahe was utter shit at.
Reus did not do it. Kagawa did, in some games Miki did it and Tuchel also used a lot of 4-1-4-1, without clear 10 oppose to Klopp's 4-2-3-1.

Klean

After finally watching the Basel game from yesterday, it kills me to say it but with Pogba back; I think that Miki (or a #10 that is similar) is the answer to our problems. We saw how good the Miki-Pogba-Matic partnership was by far the best midfield partnership we had. Matic freed Pogba up to roam over the pitch as link up play and keep the ball moving. Miki would receive the ball and drive at the defense, creating channels for Lukaku to move into for easy through balls. It also allowed the wide players to push higher and the team as a whole pressed much higher up the pitch forcing turnovers.

For these same reasons I think that Miki struggled without Pogba, because Hererra used his energy to link play but never drove forward like Pogba. This left Miki isolated and disconnected from the front 3 and also gave him no runners when he had the ball driving at the defense. I'm not a huge miki fan, but with Lukaku upfront we need to play a second midfielder with his skill set.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It doesn't look like he's the right player for us. I'd be happy to try him again with Pogba back, but moving on after this season I expect we can find someone better for both the 10 and rw positions he's played in.

midnightmare

After finally watching the Basel game from yesterday, it kills me to say it but with Pogba back; I think that Miki (or a #10 that is similar) is the answer to our problems. We saw how good the Miki-Pogba-Matic partnership was by far the best midfield partnership we had. Matic freed Pogba up to roam over the pitch as link up play and keep the ball moving. Miki would receive the ball and drive at the defense, creating channels for Lukaku to move into for easy through balls. It also allowed the wide players to push higher and the team as a whole pressed much higher up the pitch forcing turnovers.

For these same reasons I think that Miki struggled without Pogba, because Hererra used his energy to link play but never drove forward like Pogba. This left Miki isolated and disconnected from the front 3 and also gave him no runners when he had the ball driving at the defense. I'm not a huge miki fan, but with Lukaku upfront we need to play a second midfielder with his skill set.
We had decent results - but also scored 4 against Newcastle without him. The fact - to my mind - is that in all the early season games as well, Mkhi wasn't exactly shining. He had moments (typically when space really opened up in the last 10 minutes with the opposition chasing the game) but without those assists, his performances even in those games would be panned. It's frustrating to be honest. I've been a big backer and been hoping for ages that he'll come good. Hand on heart though, the recent showers that are his performances mean that I genuinely feel he should be the last person considered. Mata probably offers a better option!

prtk0811

Was never sure about him.

Always though of us missing a winger like ji sung park who's sheer hard work and great technique and vision was the x factor in deciding games for fergie on the counter and i saw those same qualities in mane.

With pogba and ibra back we need to stick him on the right wing and hope he does well as both mata and mkh did well when playing with ibra dropping deep.

prtk0811

^^^
Not to mention those players that United from BD seems to fail at certain level most probably they are very accustomed to certain system only. Kagawa, Miki.
Kagawa could have done well under sir alex if he dint retire.

Klean

We had decent results - but also scored 4 against Newcastle without him. The fact - to my mind - is that in all the early season games as well, Mkhi wasn't exactly shining. He had moments (typically when space really opened up in the last 10 minutes with the opposition chasing the game) but without those assists, his performances even in those games would be panned. It's frustrating to be honest. I've been a big backer and been hoping for ages that he'll come good. Hand on heart though, the recent showers that are his performances mean that I genuinely feel he should be the last person considered. Mata probably offers a better option!
Respectfully Disagree. Before the Pogba injury Miki had 5 assists in 4 games and for me was a key cog in the high intensity play we saw at the beginning of the season. While we did put 4 past Newcastle, I didn't see the same energy that made you think every time going forward. I hope he comes good as well, because when he is on form; he offers something much different than anyone else in the squad. I don't like Mata in the #10, I actually think Ibra will be a the best alternative once fully fit if Miki cannot regain form.

Dave46

Well, I still think Miki can offer more than Lingard and Mata under current circumstances.

GM K

Miki is a class act of a player. He's just having a really bad patch.

He needs to fix three things and he'll become a key player for us again:

- Get his head straight. I think he got very distracted recently.

- Improve his concentration and spatial awareness.

- Stop running into opposition players with the ball. Beat them or release the ball quickly like he used to do at Dortmund.

Benching him was an excellent move by Jose. The last time he was benched extensively, he came back very strong. I hope the same thing happens when he is recalled.

Nevertheless, in the long run, we will need a younger, more consistent, more technical and mentally stronger player to replace him ASAP.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Give him another chance on the right wing and if it doesn't work, let him go in the summer.

Not like the other options are doing any better there.

Reynoldo

Dortmund sniffing around as well apparently, they love a fecking buy back that crowd.

Camilo

If Jose thinks he has something to offer for the rest of the season then I'm not going to argue - the options are Zlatan at 10 (worth a shot) or Mata (not for me) or Lingard (clearly not). But for next season we need a 10 that doesn't require one of the best midfielders on earth playing behind him... Imagine a player that allowed Pogba to play better too! Crazy thought!

Munkehboi

He's much better as an inside right player. Never understood why he played No.10 when we have Mata and he barely ever played that posistion at BVB.

MadMike

He's much better as an inside right player. Never understood why he played No.10 when we have Mata and he barely ever played that posistion at BVB.
He started as a RW for us. Took a while to find his feet even on his familiar position. He was moved centrally in the last 3rd of last season after putting some good performances from that position towards the end of games.

In fact, nearly everyone on this site was saying that he'd be better suited to the middle after that. And it certainly seemed to be the case, for a bit. But then his performances dipped dramatically after the first 3-4 games of this season. He has been woeful for the last 2 months. So bad that it can't be position related. He just puts his head down and loses the ball nearly every time he gets it.

Dave46

He started as a RW for us. Took a while to find his feet even on his familiar position. He was moved centrally in the last 3rd of last season after putting some good performances from that position towards the end of games.

In fact, nearly everyone on this site was saying that he'd be better suited to the middle after that. And it certainly seemed to be the case, for a bit. But then his performances dipped dramatically after the first 3-4 games of this season. He has been woeful for the last 2 months. So bad that it can't be position related. He just puts his head down and loses the ball nearly every time he gets it.
Not me. He needs to move around, but not exclusively centrally. Something like against CSKA.

OneUnited24

I think the same thing. I assume its because Jose likes the thought of having a number 10 who has pace to burn and get beat his man. Unfortunately hes not been doing that all that much and its been painful.

I think some tough love will be good for Mkhi, probably needs that kick up the backslide to get back to playing.

CM

Those are some pretty damning comments from Mourinho. I do agree with the premise of what's being said but I find it a bit weird given how Mkhitaryan was given a relatively free ride in the weeks leading up to the Newcastle game and the sudden change of tack following the international break.

Nonetheless, I hope he's given the opportunity to put it right instead of an endless period on the sidelines.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Those are some pretty damning comments from Mourinho. I do agree with the premise of what's being said but I find it a bit weird given how Mkhitaryan was given a relatively free ride in the weeks leading up to the Newcastle game and the sudden change of tack following the international break.

Nonetheless, I hope he's given the opportunity to put it right instead of an endless period on the sidelines.
We will never know what went behind the scenes. For all we know, Jose was warned him for few games before dropping him completely.

ThanhlongTDK

Supports
Dortmund
Not me. He needs to move around, but not exclusively centrally. Something like against CSKA.
Seems that you're also a fan of BvB besides United, right ?

Actually, Mkhitaryan's movement in his last season for Dortmund was very good. He kept great balance between drifting inside and staying out wide. Don't know what the feck made him drifting inside all the time and leaving the right flank vacant every time he played RW for us.

OneUnited24

I think it was the cowardly display vs Chelsea that probably did it. Personally i think he looks out of shape, he doesnt run as hard anymore and always seems second to every ball. I see him being out of the squad for a while now, a bit like last season where he was put on a strict training regime.

Dave46

Seems that you're also a fan of BvB besides United, right ?

Actually, Mkhitaryan's movement in his last season for Dortmund was very good. He kept great balance between drifting inside and staying out wide. Don't know what the feck made him drifting inside all the time and leaving the right flank vacant every time he played RW for us.
Well, if you remember, Ginter was on fire on the beginning of the season on the right. Dunno, Miki needs something to change here. Just keep it simple. Maybe Pogba will help.
Yes, BVB fan as well. We have a good game coming up in a few hours.

zenith

Perhaps it's worth trying mikhi on the right once more, rotating with Mata. That position may require lesser grunt work and more freedom, even if it comes are the cost of seeing less of the ball. Seems, the number 10 role has become our priority now

mu4c_20le

He lost his confidence before he got dropped, and Jose unsuccessfully tried to play him through it. He has good dribbling and close control, and can be very dangerous attacking from the wing and running at defenders, but unless he can do it consistently, I don't think Jose will have the patience for him.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Think he will be sold in the summer or maybe even in winter window if we can get Ozil. Think united are just above his level, he needs consistency and hasnt got it in 1.5 years. He can be a bench option here but starting option has to be a level or two above.

Status
Not open for further replies.