g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/856195.html

India's 2015 World Cup is over, they are world champions no more and Dhoni stripped the moment of any mawkish emotion of having surrendered the World Cup. "Well, it's something that doesn't really belong to anyone," he said. "We definitely took it from someone, so somebody took it from us. It's as simple as that. You know, the best team takes it for four years and then everybody gets their own plans ready, depending on the conditions, and they challenge the one that has the Cup."

That should put the entire jingoistic and frankly charmless "#won'tgiveitback" drama, that the Indian team have been involved in and their devoted fans have bought into, over the last few months, into proper perspective. Thank you, captain.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I don't get why the Indian media (appear to be) are crucifying their side. India have spent the summer here getting whipped by Australia, the conditions aren't tailored to an Indian side - they shouldn't be surprised by the result.

India had a great tournament all things considered.

Last edited:

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Indian media is not criticizing the team, it's couple of bellends on a couple of news channels that are. The unfortunate thing is that those snippets gets highlighted and then the entire medium is blamed.

Where the media is at fault is in trying to generalize a couple of constructed shots of people venting into the "mood of the country". There is no need for lines like "fans need to grow up" or other such cliches when most people are/were well aware that these guys were not good enough, yet, to win the entire thing.

We have moved far ahead from the times when returning players were egged at the airports or their houses were stoned.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Watching one team dominate a sport is never fun, unless it's your own team. It's not good for the sport that a single team wins 5 of the 11 world cups it has had.

I have never liked the Australian cricket teams, respected them, but never liked them. Can't think of a single Australian player that I have liked through history, and I can name Pakistani and English players that I do. They are either too cocky or too cnuty. They always start behaving like assholes when losing.

Some of my finest moments as a cricket fan was when Ganguly started giving it to them and putting them in their place.
I will admit some players who have played and currently play for Australia I'd describe as pricks but they're Australia's pricks in my eyes. The Kiwis have proven you can play great cricket without incessant and sometimes unfunny sledges.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Indian media is not criticizing the team, it's couple of bellends on a couple of news channels that are. The unfortunate thing is that those snippets gets highlighted and then the entire medium is blamed.

Where the media is at fault is in trying to generalize a couple of constructed shots of people venting into the "mood of the country". There is no need for lines like "fans need to grow up" or other such cliches when most people are/were well aware that these guys were not good enough, yet, to win the entire thing.

We have moved far ahead from the times when returning players were egged at the airports or their houses were stoned.
It's probably a some media outlets rather than a couple of bell ends.

Some fans do definitely need to grow up, but I do think those media outlets overreacting aren't reflecting what people think which is much more balanced.

Not sure about the last bit either. We've had tv sets burnt, anushka sharma hounded on social media, and players photos burnt. And this is when we just won the world cup 4 years back. I can see it being very extreme if we lose to Pakistan at a world cup and go out, and we havent won it for 15 years.

amolbhatia50k

Watching one team dominate a sport is never fun, unless it's your own team. It's not good for the sport that a single team wins 5 of the 11 world cups it has had.

I have never liked the Australian cricket teams, respected them, but never liked them. Can't think of a single Australian player that I have liked through history, and I can name Pakistani and English players that I do. They are either too cocky or too cnuty. They always start behaving like assholes when losing.

Some of my finest moments as a cricket fan was when Ganguly started giving it to them and putting them in their place.
It's not a big deal when it's such a small sport that only a handful can win it.

The second bit is also partially related to winning. Winners are easier to hate, just like Manchester United were easy to hate for everyone and Spurs werent. If England were dominating the likes of Fintoff and co would have gotten on your tits alot more.

Just to throw some names out there - Brett Lee and Adam Gilchrist? Steve Waugh?

But I do agree that they often crossed the line, although wouldn't you say we're catching up in the cnut-metre with them? Harbhajan was racist towards Symonds once, and of late with the likes of Kohli and Dhawan, we're not exactly the classiest bunch ever. Dhawan's limping act was a bit pathetic.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
It's not a big deal when it's such a small sport that only a handful can win it.

The second bit is also partially related to winning. Winners are easier to hate, just like Manchester United were easy to hate for everyone and Spurs werent. If England were dominating the likes of Fintoff and co would have gotten on your tits alot more.

But I do agree that they often crossed the line, although wouldn't you say we're catching up in the cnut-metre with them? Harbhajan was racist towards Symonds once, and of late with the likes of Kohli and Dhawan, we're not exactly the classiest bunch ever. Dhawan's limping act was a bit pathetic.
Indeed, that made me wish for an Oz win in that match.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
I don't get why the Indian media (appear to be) are crucifying their side. India have spent the summer here getting whipped by Australia, the conditions are tailored to an Indian side - they shouldn't be surprised by the result.

India had a great tournament all things considered.
Indian media doesn't have a middle ground when it comes to cricket. They are all probably just pissed that all the graphics they prepared for an Indian world cup win have gone to waste now.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It's probably a some media outlets rather than a couple of bell ends.

Some fans do definitely need to grow up, but I do think those media outlets overreacting aren't reflecting what people think which is much more balanced.

Not sure about the last bit either. We've had tv sets burnt, anushka sharma hounded on social media, and players photos burnt. And this is when we just won the world cup 4 years back. I can see it being very extreme if we lose to Pakistan at a world cup and go out, and we havent won it for 15 years.
I know of English and Hindi news channels of the same group. I am a regular watcher of CNN-IBN, NDTV, NewsX and Headlines Today (That's 80% of the digital English news media) , and there was nothing of this sort on those outlets. Infact they criticized the culprit news channel for sensationalizing the whole thing and trending a stupid hashtag.

Some fans do need to grow up but that is a very small minority; which is present everywhere, in every sport. We cannot generalize Indian media and fans through the prism of a handful few.

TV and photos vandalising pictures looked fabricated. The fact that only a couple of those clips were repeated everywhere make me believe they were phony. Did you see any incident where you live? Have talked to friends in Bombay, Bangalore, Delhi, Ranchi, Bhopal, Goa - and no one heard of any burning effigies or breaking television sets.

It is a big deal when cricket is dying in a couple of major test playing nations and becoming a hegemony of a few cricket boards. The associates have forever remained associates; anyone heard of 2003 WC semi-finalists Kenya offlate?

If they win the current edition, only India in 2011 would have overcome Austrlia's dominace in the last 5 world cups, which is not good, imo. A small pool should mean more winners within that group. If the couple are going to remain weak forever then what is the point?

The second part is also incorrect as no one is talking about hating them because they are winners. It's because of their antics and behavior on field. And their inability to deal with it when it is given back.

Gilly, may be. But Steve Waugh? Are you shitting me. He wasn't the inventor of sledging, but was the biggest proponent of the darkest arts of physical and mental intimidation. He was a grade A cnut. Even the seasoned Aussies fans won't deny it. Go read his Daglish/Rodgers like defenses of the McGrath/Sarwan or Lehmann incidents.

By the way, the current Aussie coach is the Luis Suarez of the cricket world. ;)

I have mentioned it before that I am not a fan of Kohli's antics. His and Ishant's entitled Delhi boy spiel annoys me no end, more in Ishant's case as he is a donkey.

VanGaalEra

Media in India and Pakistan are despicable tbh. Shouldn't take what they seriously.

Losing to Australia in Australia is not embarrassing.

MDFC Manager

Indian media doesn't have a middle ground when it comes to cricket. They are all probably just pissed that all the graphics they prepared for an Indian world cup win have gone to waste now.
Yup that's my take on it as well. Now they have to actually work hard over the next few weeks to do some actual non cricket related journalism. If we'd won the WC, they'd just be plastering lazy repetitive congratulatory crap on TV for weeks

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Well, unfortunate, if rather predictable end to the tournament. I had held out hope for us reaching the final at the very least.

I enjoyed that performance in a way though..reminded me our meek surrenders in the 90s. The sense of entitlement and cocky bravado was doing my head in.

amolbhatia50k

I know of English and Hindi news channels of the same group. I am a regular watcher of CNN-IBN, NDTV, NewsX and Headlines Today (That's 80% of the digital English news media) , and there was nothing of this sort on those outlets. Infact they criticized the culprit news channel for sensationalizing the whole thing and trending a stupid hashtag.
Timesnow is the most watched one right now. And rather than one or two bellends, it was the entire channel was reacted like complete nutters, no doubt influenced by the bigger nutter going around these days. I suspect the same holds true for Aaj Tak which is the most watched Hindi news channel. If both of them are going with that slant, then I'm sure some others would too and hence it can't be called one or two bellends. It's definitely the minority but not as small a pool as you initially stated.

Some fans do need to grow up but that is a very small minority; which is present everywhere, in every sport. We cannot generalize Indian media and fans through the prism of a handful few.

TV and photos vandalising pictures looked fabricated. The fact that only a couple of those clips were repeated everywhere make me believe they were phony. Did you see any incident where you live? Have talked to friends in Bombay, Bangalore, Delhi, Ranchi, Bhopal, Goa - and no one heard of any burning effigies or breaking television sets.
Me, you and your friends not stumbling across such incidents isn't really the deciding factor. It's a big country, where some small incidents like this happen due to our fans sometimes being a little childish and over passionate. It's not surprising. Wasn't Yuvraj's house attacked once?

I don't your second sentence as a logical reason to believe the first. That's how our media works these days regarding anything.

If we've genuinely been more tempered in our response this time then that's a good thing. But I'd like to see it be better over a proper period to say that for sure.

It is a big deal when cricket is dying in a couple of major test playing nations and becoming a hegemony of a few cricket boards. The associates have forever remained associates; anyone heard of 2003 WC semi-finalists Kenya offlate?

If they win the current edition, only India in 2011 would have overcome Austrlia's dominace in the last 5 world cups, which is not good, imo. A small pool should mean more winners within that group. If the couple are going to remain weak forever then what is the point?
I don't disagree that it would be better to have more teams competing and winning. But you said it would be "hard to take" which made them sound like Pakistan or some regional rivalry or something. Although I probably felt the way you did when I was a bit more passionate about the game, and younger.

On that note, New Zealand winning the WC would be better than India given we seem to have ICC in our pockets too :)

The second part is also incorrect as no one is talking about hating them because they are winners. It's because of their antics and behavior on field. And their inability to deal with it when it is given back.
It's not incorrect. It's been proven over time that winners tend to be easily hated. There are exceptions like the West Indies' great team but generally across sports people find things to hate about teams that dominate. That's not to say that you hate them because them winning. I'm saying it plays a part or accentuates the dislike.

I have mentioned it before that I am not a fan of Kohli's antics. His and Ishant's entitled Delhi boy spiel annoys me no end, more in Ishant's case as he is a donkey.
Can't disagree with that. I don't like the current crop to be honest. The bowlers are okay but some of the batsman come across as pricks.

Stretch

I'm astounded by the supposed lashing of the Indian team by media and moronic fans alike. This from a saffer that has to say you've really well considering you were not given much of a chance pre WC and you did as well as can be expected.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I'm astounded by the supposed lashing of the Indian team by media and moronic fans alike. This from a saffer that has to say you've really well considering you were not given much of a chance pre WC and you did as well as can be expected.
Happens when you have 1.3 billion people. Bound to have idiots.

VP

This is the problem when the media use twitter as a source for their stories. If you scrape the bottom of the barrel, you will find some shit. I've read so many articles about the 'twitterati' raging against the team (and anushka Sharma) It's bloody twitter, the mainstream version of youtube comments - who cares!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Kiwis will be unbearable if they win. Hopefully this is fair and square unlike their Rugby World Cup win in 2011.

amolbhatia50k

Don't know about Yuvraj, but Mohammed Kaif's house was attacked after the defeat to Australia (not the final match) in 2003 World Cup.
Read that yuvraj's house was attacked after our t 20 final defeat. This was the man of the tournament in our second world cup win :lol:

amolbhatia50k

This is the problem when the media use twitter as a source for their stories. If you scrape the bottom of the barrel, you will find some shit. I've read so many articles about the 'twitterati' raging against the team (and anushka Sharma) It's bloody twitter, the mainstream version of youtube comments - who cares!
That's a part of it for sure. Twitter is a collection of absolute filth and some od the problem lies in the medium itself which seems to attract moronic views.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Richard Kettleborough and Kumar Dharmasena will officiate the final. Dharmasena the first man to play and umpire World Cup final. Kettleborough ensuring there'll be an English presence in the final.

amolbhatia50k

Oh he is still in public domain in any form? I thought after his 'RGV ki AAG' movie, he must have went away to a secluded place in shame, forever.
He's not very relevant anymore.

According to him, cricket causes a lack of productivity and wastage of time among Indians. Irony.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Timesnow is the most watched one right now. And rather than one or two bellends, it was the entire channel was reacted like complete nutters, no doubt influenced by the bigger nutter going around these days. I suspect the same holds true for Aaj Tak which is the most watched Hindi news channel. If both of them are going with that slant, then I'm sure some others would too and hence it can't be called one or two bellends. It's definitely the minority but not as small a pool as you initially stated.
Come on, now you are making arguments for the sake of it. The point was that it was a section of the media that went nuts, and that stands. Most others chided the guilty channel(s) for being over dramatic.

Me, you and your friends not stumbling across such incidents isn't really the deciding factor. It's a big country, where some small incidents like this happen due to our fans sometimes being a little childish and over passionate. It's not surprising. Wasn't Yuvraj's house attacked once?

I don't your second sentence as a logical reason to believe the first. That's how our media works these days regarding anything.

If we've genuinely been more tempered in our response this time then that's a good thing. But I'd like to see it be better over a proper period to say that for sure.
That is the point. Only a minuscule, almost negligible, number of the incidents is not reason enough to generalize with statements like "Fans need to grow up". Of course couple of idiots need to grow up, but that it true everywhere. A small number of fans going to Rooney's home after he expressed his desire to leave or a couple of Chelsea idiots being racist at the Paris metro cannot be used to judge football fans in the whole of England.

A few idiots breaking a 1960's black and white CRT in some corner of Kanpur is not enough reason to pour outrage or admonish the general cricket supporting public as childish.

I don't disagree that it would be better to have more teams competing and winning. But you said it would be "hard to take" which made them sound like Pakistan or some regional rivalry or something. Although I probably felt the way you did when I was a bit more passionate about the game, and younger.

On that note, New Zealand winning the WC would be better than India given we seem to have ICC in our pockets too :)

It's not incorrect. It's been proven over time that winners tend to be easily hated. There are exceptions like the West Indies' great team but generally across sports people find things to hate about teams that dominate. That's not to say that you hate them because them winning. I'm saying it plays a part or accentuates the dislike.
It would be hard to take for me as Australia is not a team that I like. Also, I consider them our rivals now, and watching them lift their 5th and getting 3 ahead of us is not going to a pleasant sight for me.

There have been plenty of teams/individuals who have been winners without being out and out douche bags. West Indies as you mentioned, South Africans are winners if we don't include ICC events, The Bulls and Spurs in the NBA, Sampras and Nadal in tennis; there are numerous examples like them. Being a dick is not a prerequisite as the Australians or a Jose Mourinho will have you believe.

amolbhatia50k

I'll reply properly later but south africans have never dominated in cricket. It's pretty basic stuff that prolonged winners who dominate their field are easily disliked. And I was talking about teams. None of which means the aussies didn't go even further of course but it does accentuate ones dislike towards them.

amolbhatia50k

Come on, now you are making arguments for the sake of it. The point was that it was a section of the media that went nuts, and that stands. Most others chided the guilty channel(s) for being over dramatic..
Eh? You said it was a couple of bellends whereas it seems to be more than a couple of the major networks. While the majority has reacted responsibility the bad eggs aren't as fw as you initially put across.

The bolded bit is true as well sadly. People seen to love that raging twat.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I was watching a game of Super Rugby from New Zealand with an Aussie ref. The commentator said the ref comes "from a country to the west which shall not be named for a few days". Pretty sad though that this will probably be Martin Crowe's last game of World Cup cricket as he's terminally ill with cancer.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Good move, he is needed more in Tests I think. Playing so much Cricket will increase chance of back injury again. Now he can concentrate on tests and manage his body and lessen chance of injuries in better way. Steve Smith for ODI captain I say. Bailey in but just as batsman.