ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Sanche7

Casually playing with three recognized WKs in the team with Rahul very decent as a wicket keeper.

Good team though, I'm happy with this
Remember the time when India had like no wicketkeeper batsmen? The times of Nayan Mongia?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Rahul is making another solid test start
Getting used to him, now.
We start with a handicap as compared to other sides by losing about 3-4 overs worth of dot balls and forcing Kohli to take more time to settle down once the plodder eventually gets out. It's just an Indian thing.

Sanche7

Getting used to him, now.
We start with a handicap as compared to other sides by losing about 3-4 overs worth of dot balls and forcing Kohli to take more time to settle down once the plodder eventually gets out. It's just an Indian thing.
I think that's India's strategy, get an eye in by playing carefully in the first few overs and then blast off. It's not the worst strategy IMO considering every single player in the batting lineup can hit them long. It also ensures that the fragile middle and lower middle order isn't exposed very early

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I think that's India's strategy, get an eye in by playing carefully in the first few overs and then blast off. It's not the worst strategy IMO considering every single player in the batting lineup can hit them long. It also ensures that the fragile middle and lower middle order isn't exposed very early
I'd take the risk of going 1 down in the first over as long as there is even a 20% chance that we could blast off to 100-0 in 15 overs or less. Sehwag was my man.

Sanche7

I'd take the risk of going 1 down in the first over as long as there is even a 20% chance that we could blast off to 100-0 in 15 overs or less. Sehwag was my man.
What if i tell you that today India will score 100 in the first 15 without taking that extra risk

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
What if i tell you that today India will score 100 in the first 15 without taking that extra risk
You would struggle to change my mind about Lokesh Rahul even if we reached 120 in 15 today. It's a batting pitch and we're going first.
He's got great talent, but always fails to step up under pressure. His mentality is all off.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Also just saw this on Cricbuzz:

Bangladesh have taken only one wicket in the PP in their last five games.
67/0 v Eng Cardiff
32/1 v WI Taunton
53/0 v Aus Nottingham
48/0 v Afg Southampton
69/0 v Ind Birmingham

Skills

Snitch
Chahal got absolutely thrashed last game but gets in as he's mates with Kohli.
Do you think he'll last as the captain if India don't win this World Cup? Seems like he's got way too much power as the captain in all formats.

Or is he too big to be dropped as captain?

Sanche7

You would struggle to change my mind about Lokesh Rahul even if we reached 120 in 15 today. It's a batting pitch and we're going first.
He's got great talent, but always fails to step up under pressure. His mentality is all off.
I agree about Rahul, he doesn't have to be this cautious although I think it's a team decision that one opener attacks and the other plays a bit more carefully . This is not even his natural game if I'm not wrong. I think it's India had a better lower middle order, we could have seen an almost entirely different style of play from Rahul

Varun

Staff
Do you think he'll last as the captain if India don't win this World Cup? Seems like he's got way too much power as the captain in all formats.

The later. It'd be stupid to take the captaincy away from him just because we don't win the WC anyway mind.

Skills

Snitch
The later. It'd be stupid to take the captaincy away from him just because we don't win the WC anyway mind.
Why?

The most talented LO team of the last few years will have nothing to show for it under his reign as captain.

2016 T20 world Cup - SF exit
2017 CT - embarrassing loss in the final
2019 WC - TBC

Surely it's worth seeing if someone else can do a better job?

Moby

Dick

He definitely has flaws in terms of being stubborn regarding team selection. If he stays as the captain, I hope we get a far better support cast with people who can guide him better than the likes of Shastri who is basically a yes man. After becoming such a clinical and effective outfit under Dhoni, I wish we had someone who could be calm in pressure situations and maintain the similar approach, honestly Kohli as a captain doesn't fill me with confidence but I am not sure what other alternatives do we have. Possibly Rohit can replace him for the time being.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why?

The most talented LO team of the last few years will have nothing to show for it under his reign as captain.

2019 WC - TBC

You left out his impeccable record for RCB though.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Kohli as a captain has been perfectly fine. Shastri needs to go though.

KM

Why?

2019 WC - TBC

We were not a good T20 team in 2016. CT final was an one off.

We weren't the best team coming into this world cup(something us Indians fans said repeatedly). England were.

Moby

Dick

We weren't the best team coming into this world cup(something us Indians fans said repeatedly). England were.
Yet this is the best Indian team as per the win% compared to any previous generations. Will be a shame if it ends up with 0 trophies to show for it.

KM

Yet this is the best Indian team as per the win% compared to any previous generations. Will be a shame if it ends up with 0 trophies to show for it.
Yeah. But will be harsh to blame Kohli for that.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
If you believe that India aren't the best team then a lot of it is on the captain as well with regards to squad building. As I said last game you have top 2 batsmen in the world, 3 of the top 10 bowlers and 1 of the top 3 all rounders . How much more do you really need

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Chahal got absolutely thrashed last game but gets in as he's mates with Kohli.
Come on. Chhal got thrashed because he bowled at more critical times. Yadav was getting thrashed too, his Eco. was above 10 at one point, but then got to bowl when England were rebuilding. Chahal is in team because he can bowl in powerplant and at death if required. He has also picked up more wickets than Yadav this tournament.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The whole 59 metre boundary thing is being overplayed now. So much talk about it in commentary

Moby

Dick
Yeah. But will be harsh to blame Kohli for that.
Some of our team selection and team building strategies have been a bit all over the place, despite us having probably the greatest talent pool we have had in our history. This whole no.4 debacle is pretty embarrassing given the fact we have a plethora of talented young batsmen at our disposal yet we go into a WC still being in the same situation we were 2 years ago, without giving enough chances to candidates like Iyer and assess the situation better. You'd expect the captain to be on top of these decisions and ensure the team has a stable 11 before going into a WC. Currently it's a mess.

Moby

Dick
Chahal is in team because he can bowl in powerplant and at death if required.
I hold my hands up, that's some new information right there.

Chahal and Kuldeep in general is a toss up, I would say Kuldeep has taken more crucial wickets in this tournaments but it was obvious who would get dropped whenever a question is raised and it wasn't going to be Kohli's RCB mate.

Skills

Snitch

If you believe that India aren't the best team then a lot of it is on the captain as well with regards to squad building. As I said last game you have top 2 batsmen in the world, 3 of the top 10 bowlers and 1 of the top 3 all rounders . How much more do you really need
Exactly. The fact that India aren't the best ODI team is pretty damning considering the players they have on their hands.

They have 2 of the 5 best ODI batsmen in the world, plus Dhawan who's also top 10. They have a fantastic bowling attack and a great all-rounder.

Positions 4-6 are an issue, but they've had more than enough time to try and fix them but they've done almost nothing about it (especially the Dhoni situation). That's poor management and Kohli who's meant to have a lot of selection influence, should be one of the guys held accountable for that failure.

crappycraperson

Scout
Didnt kohli force kumble out which led to shastri being hired?
Yes which is a problem. Kohli as a captain is fine. He is infinitely better test captain than Dhoni. But allowing him to have his mate Shastri as coach is not on.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Manjrekar last over: "It was the right decision to not play more spinners on this pitch, this is not a pitch for spinners"

Manjrekar this over: "The seamers need to bowl more slow cutters. This is not a pitch to bowl fast on"

crappycraperson

Scout
I hold my hands up, that's some new information right there.

Chahal and Kuldeep in general is a toss up, I would say Kuldeep has taken more crucial wickets in this tournaments but it was obvious who would get dropped whenever a question is raised and it wasn't going to be Kohli's RCB mate.
I would have preferred Yadav for sure 2 months back. Even Indian team did over last year or so. But Kuldeep has not been at his best this WC despite some good spells. Personally think the IPL thrashing did affect him.

Moby

Dick
Manjrekar last over: "It was the right decision to not play more spinners on this pitch, this is not a pitch for spinners"

Manjrekar this over: "The seamers need to bowl more slow cutters. This is not a pitch to bowl fast on"
He is genuinely incapable of remembering words said 2 seconds ago. Actually goes into completely different direction in the same sentence, sometimes sounds quite worrying tbh.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers

Obviously it means this is not a pitch at all.