ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Varun

Staff
Why?

The most talented LO team of the last few years will have nothing to show for it under his reign as captain.

2016 T20 world Cup - SF exit
2017 CT - embarrassing loss in the final
2019 WC - TBC

Surely it's worth seeing if someone else can do a better job?
Being the most talented means very little, that's without even going into how true it is. More importantly, we aren't anywhere close to being on a different level to the rest of the teams and thus not winning it will hardly be a shock.

Kohli is too powerful atm. Got a fecking legend like kumble sacked and got shastri as the coach who basically drinks beer all day long and says Yes to whatever Kohli says. Don't think he's going anywhere as far as the captaincy is concerned.
Yes which is a problem. Kohli as a captain is fine. He is infinitely better test captain than Dhoni. But allowing him to have his mate Shastri as coach is not on.
He's too powerful.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Exactly. The fact that India aren't the best ODI team is pretty damning considering the players they have on their hands.

They have 2 of the 5 best ODI batsmen in the world, plus Dhawan who's also top 10. They have a fantastic bowling attack and a great all-rounder.

Positions 4-6 are an issue, but they've had more than enough time to try and fix them but they've done almost nothing about it (especially the Dhoni situation). That's poor management and Kohli who's meant to have a lot of selection influence, should be one of the guys held accountable for that failure.
We have done fine in ODIs. Not to go all English but we did win ODI series in SA, Oz and NZ. Only England have consistently been better than us over last 2 years and for good reason. Their batting prowess is incredible even if we have Kohli and Rohit.

Only thing we goofed on was the no. 4 spot. Shastri and Kohli definitely deserve all the blame for it. That and Dhoni inclusion can definitely cost us the WC.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Manjrekar last over: "It was the right decision to not play more spinners on this pitch, this is not a pitch for spinners"

Manjrekar this over: "The seamers need to bowl more slow cutters. This is not a pitch to bowl fast on"
Lots of sticks to beat Manjrekar with, this is not one of them.

There isn't much turn or drop of pace off the pitch for the spinners, and there isn't any swing or bounce for the pacers. It's a pitch where you go out to bowl and get clobbered. If they'd waited a couple of days more, there could have been more assistance for bowlers. As of now, nothing.

Mixing up your cutters and slower ones 50-50 like England did while we were chasing is the way to go.

Patrick08

Luckiest batsman Rohit has been in terms of being dropped every game at the start.

prateik

Gets a lifeline early. Gets a 100. Throws it away..
Don't mind it though... Pant and DK need minutes.

Skills

Snitch
Gets a lifeline early. Gets a 100. Throws it away..
Don't mind it though... Pant and DK need minutes.
He was playing really well before he got to 90. He got a bit selfish to get himself a hundred, so tried to make up for it and paid for it with his wicket

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Rahul is playing such a selfish innings.Feels like we are back in 90s where pricks used to play for their own spot.

JohnnyKills

Rahul needs to shit or get off the pot. Wanker
Sure he's trying his best mate, he's just not very good at smashing it around. As soon as Kohli's established he'll hit one up in the air, don't worry.

Sanche7

My God, it's Rahul going to play like this till he gets his century?

Sanche7

Sure he's trying his best mate, he's just not very good at smashing it around. As soon as Kohli's established he'll hit one up in the air, don't worry.
Errr, I take it that you don't watch IPL much. He's a very explosive batsman from what I've seen, don't know what has happened to him in this WC

JohnnyKills

Errr, I take it that you don't watch IPL much. He's a very explosive batsman from what I've seen, don't know what has happened to him in this WC
I do watch IPL a fair bit, and his role is usually to play understudy to Chris Gayle. He's a good player, sure, just not as explosive as some others.

Skills

Snitch
Rahul needs to shit or get off the pot. Wanker
Would India really have been any worse off if they had someone at the top who gets out for 35 off 25 balls, and have Kohli coming in around over 10-11 instead?

Sanche7

Should be looking at 270 by 40 overs and with Pant, Hardik, DK & Dhoni to come, a minimum of 100 in the last 10

Skills

Snitch
Should be looking at 270 by 40 overs and with Pant, Hardik, DK & Dhoni to come, 100 in the last 10
100 in the last 10 is difficult for anyone. If I was making an ODI strategy, it would be to try and go big in the first 10.

If you lose a wicket consolidate till about overs 20 and pick it up for a bit of a smash around overs 30-40.

The last 10 with the field spread out wide is the best time to get singles and twos and manipulate the field for another 70-80 runs.

Skills

Snitch
That's 92 balls Rahul played that the best ODI batsman could've instead been playing, and scoring at a much quicker pace.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Rahul didn't hit a boundary after the 19th over, you would think that having played for 20 overs he would be set and accelerating but he actually went slower

Sanche7

100 in the last 10 is difficult for anyone. If I was making an ODI strategy, it would be to try and go big in the first 10.

If you lose a wicket consolidate till about overs 20 and pick it up for a bit of a smash around overs 30-40.

The last 10 with the field spread out wide is the best time to get singles and twos and manipulate the field for another 70-80 runs.
Don't think it's that difficult of you have good hitters in your side, especially with these short boundaries. IIRC England scored 90 odd in their last 10 overs despite Bumrah going for 25? in his 5, so essentially 65-70 runs in 5 overs

AshRK

I actually thought otherwise about Rahul. I always had a image of Rahul as a batsmen who goes bang bang , this side of rahul is frustrating. He is not even trying to open his arm which is not correct. I feel someone needs to have a word with him and say play more freely.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I feel guilty for cheering a little bit when Rahul gets out. It's mostly because I'm happy that now there's at least a chance someone will the take the game by the scruff of the neck and make it entertaining with quicker singles and riskier shots.