3. Saudi Arabia
  4. Sri Lanka
  5. United Arab Emirates
  6. Slovakia
  7. Myanmar
  8. Israel
  9. Ukraine
  10. United States

BBC pundit Gary Lineker brands the US an 'extraordinarily racist country' as ex-England ace doubles down on his criticism of anti-LGBT Qatar... by swiping at the next World Cup hosts
  • BBC pundit Gary Lineker branded the US an 'extraordinarily racist country'
  • Ex-England striker swiped at the Americans while defending Qatar criticism
  • Lineker had slammed Doha's persecution of LGBT minorities in the Gulf state

BBC pundit Gary Lineker has risked another impartiality row by branding the US an 'extraordinarily racist country'.

The former England striker-turned-TV presenter swiped at the Americans while defending his criticism of World Cup hosts Qatar, whose regime persecutes political activists, women and LGBT minorities.

World Cup 2022: BBC pundit Gary Lineker brands the US an 'extraordinarily racist country' | Daily Mail Online

Couldn't find a Gary Lineker thread...this one will have to do I guess.
I think he's trying to make it look like he is impartial following his criticism of Qatar. Unfortunately it just makes him look a bit daft. Yes, the US has racism issues, but they are minor compared to most regions of the world. This is a competition that has been to Russia, South Africa and Japan/Korea in the last two decades. I leave Brazil off the list because i havent been there, but id be surprised if it wasnt prevalent there too. It's just highlighted more in the US because its the US.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-racist-countries
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/least-racist-countries

The Top 10 Least Racist Countries in the World in 2021 - Best Countries Report
  1. Netherlands
  2. Canada
  3. New Zealand
  4. Sweden
  5. Denmark
  6. Finland
  7. Switzerland
  8. Norway
  9. Belgium
  10. Austria
Worst Countries for Racial Equality:
  1. Qatar
  2. Serbia
  3. Saudi Arabia
  4. Sri Lanka
  5. United Arab Emirates
  6. Slovakia
  7. Myanmar
  8. Israel
  9. Ukraine
  10. United States
Switzerland :lol:

I suppose you can't be racist to ethnic minorities if you don't let any of them in.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Switzerland :lol:

I suppose you can't be racist to ethnic minorities if you don't let any of them in.
There certainly are things on the list I disagree with. I'd assume Russia to be up there as well on the most racist list.
But it's fair enough of an indication on which end of the spectrum countries end up on. :p

I find that racism is alive and well in Europe, at a time when its be largely blunted in the states.
Classic!

fen4e

I've lived in the Netherlands during my Uni years and can say I'm surprised they are in a list of non-racist countries, let alone be #1.

Must be some kind of a joke, surely.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-racist-countries
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/least-racist-countries

The Top 10 Least Racist Countries in the World in 2021 - Best Countries Report
  1. Netherlands
  2. Canada
  3. New Zealand
  4. Sweden
  5. Denmark
  6. Finland
  7. Switzerland
  8. Norway
  9. Belgium
  10. Austria
Worst Countries for Racial Equality:
  1. Qatar
  2. Serbia
  3. Saudi Arabia
  4. Sri Lanka
  5. United Arab Emirates
  6. Slovakia
  7. Myanmar
  8. Israel
  9. Ukraine
  10. United States
Nice nitpick but you're first link literally has a second section where it places us much more favorably.

A simple Google search will show results corroborating my stance like the aforementioned wa post link did(some do the opposite) but considering how dubious the criteria for such surveys can be, I say it's a decent result.

Us is without a doubt one of the most diverse countries in the world , to label it extremely racist is ignorant and bereft of reality, it's not perfect but it's far from the horrifying monster the media makes it out to be, far from it.
USA one of the least racist? When the feck did that happen? :lol:
It may be hard to to belive but yes, looking at it objectively I say it's pretty decent.
I find that racism is alive and well in Europe, at a time when its be largely blunted in the states.
:lol:

Jokes aside have you been abroad? I day it's easily one of the most tolerable places around, some of Europe is better but than again, they're not diverse enough to brew those kinds of tensions...yet.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I've lived in the Netherlands during my Uni years and can say I'm surprised they are in a list of non-racist countries, let alone be #1.

Must be some kind of a joke, surely.
These things are kinda dubious, xenophobia tendencies are on the rise in Europe and tensions arise but countries like Sweden which literally voted for one of the most xenophobic parties in Europe rank near the top.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Nice nitpick but you're first link literally has a second section where it places us much more favorably.

A simple Google search will show results corroborating my stance like the aforementioned wa post link did(some do the opposite) but considering how dubious the criteria for such surveys can be, I say it's a decent result.

Us is without a doubt one of the most diverse countries in the world , to label it extremely racist is ignorant and bereft of reality, it's not perfect but it's far from the horrifying monster the media makes it out to be, far from it.

It may be hard to to belive but yes, looking at it objectively I say it's pretty decent.

Jokes aside have you been abroad? I day it's easily one of the most tolerable places around, some of Europe is better but than again, they're not diverse enough to brew those kinds of tensions...yet.
Literally no one but delusional Americans think the US is amongst the best on racism, no matter the source.
Unless of course best in this case means most racist, in which case at least there is honesty in the goal.

Judas

Open to offers
What absolute shite am I reading about America not being an absolute cesspit of racism?! It might be diverse but that’s just one side of the coin and probably has a lot to do with making it as racist as it is.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Literally no one but delusional Americans think the US is amongst the best on racism, no matter the source.
Unless of course best in this case means most racist, in which case at least there is honesty in the goal.
You literally can not measure racism but if you insist here's a study, its from the same organization you posted in your first link.
Also cut the snide remarks, I know it's hip to bash America but some self awareness won't hurt.

Loon

Phew. For one minute I thought the bump was the knobber had got the MOTD gig. At least it's the same old knobber in place... for now.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Lynty

Don't mind Jenas in a presenter role.

Both Laura Woods and Alex Scott are great.

I'd like to see Peter Crouch given a shot for a different sort of vibe.

RopersReturn

Jenas is natural replacement, he’s got a nice relaxed manner and allows other presenters to speak without interrupting. Along with Laura Woods & Alex Scott, should be a good combination. I fully welcome the changes.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
US is proper racist to be fair. Sadly so are a lot of countries.

Think its a bigger deal to point to the US as they are self proclaimed world leaders
I'm gonna sound so chauvinistic but that's not true at all, by most most measures it's one of the least racist countries in the world, you might think otherwise because 1 it's the most diverse and b it gets a lot of media attention.

I've been to a lot of of planes from Africa to Asia and it really isn't better while not having half it's diversity.
With all these things it is relative but there is systemic racism in the US especially with black / African American communities.

Stuff like this -

Data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that in the first quarter of 2020, the median pay for a black male worker between the ages of 25 and 54 was $891 per week; for a Latino man of the same age, it was $796 a week. Meanwhile, a white man of the same age averaged $1,128 per week. Women of all three racial groups made less than the average white man, with white women making $906, black women making $767, and Latina women making $701.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
With all these things it is relative but there is systemic racism in the US especially with black / African American communities.

Stuff like this -

I believe the figures would be similar (or worse) in terms of the carceral population. There's massive systemic issues in the US linked to racism, it's gobsmacking someone would ignore that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
When someone gave @Red the Bear a keyboard and we decided to ignore the systematic racism deeply ingrained in the US. It was rather easy.
How mature of you.

Stuff like this -

Yes , I readily admit that this country isn't perfect (im starting to hate it actually)and I'm actively in favor of police reform and while I'm sure there are instances of racism in police activity i think the bigger picture mostly has to do with generational poverty, poverty breeds poverty and the more you wallow in it the harder it gets to get it out, it breeds crime and it's a self sustaining cycle, that's a problem the African American community faces and to me that's the main reason.

Stuff like how well educated African immigrants (from Nigeria for example) do or how much progress many of the other minorities like Asian immigrants have done for themselves does corroborate that hypothesis somewhat.

There's also stuff like affirmative action which goes against the whole premise of systemic racism.

Also the same stats literally apply to every other country with major immigrants populated in Europe, so I guess France and uk have systemic racism as well.

Edit: here's the wiki page for uk for example and as you could see blacks are over represented again
Wiki
Some googling shows the same applies to France as well, you could explain it in three ways:
A Th racist answer being that blacks do more crime
B highevel systemic racism
C generational poverty

I like to think it's mostly c.
Educate yourself.
Speak for yourself.

Last edited:

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Don't mind Jenas in a presenter role.

Both Laura Woods and Alex Scott are great.

I'd like to see Peter Crouch given a shot for a different sort of vibe.
Yeah I second the bold bit. Reckon Crouch would be great in that role. Super down to earth, funny and also has the football knowledge. Jenas is ok as a presenter, hate him as a co-commentator/pundit...just grates on me.

Just trying to steer this thread back on topic and away from the pissing contest of racism in the US.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The reason it’s gone off topic is my fault - I couldn’t find a Lineker thread. Can a helpful mod please move?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm trying to say it's easy not to be racist when you don't get any exposure to different traditions and cultures , Scandinavia is for example mostly homogenous but a very anti immigration party just won a rather sizable vote share over there.

Us has many problems and in some regards it's getting worse by the day, but I do get a bit fed up seeing Europeans act so high and mighty about it.
I think you may be showing your ignorance slightly here. Scandinavia is not a country and therefore can't elect a party. Its countries are not as diverse as the USA for sure but is also nowhere near as homogenous as you seem to think. 20% of Swedens population was born outside the country so of course even more 2nd gen or mixed. Londons mix is also not do different to new York for instance.

The racism or otherwise is a different conversation.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think you may be showing your ignorance slightly here. Scandinavia is not a country and therefore can't elect a party. Its countries are not as diverse as the USA for sure but is also nowhere near as homogenous as you seem to think. 20% of Swedens population was born outside the country so of course even more 2nd gen or mixed. Londons mix is also not do different to new York for instance.

The racism or otherwise is a different conversation.
It was my tired brain proving troublesome I meant sweeden, they just elected a party that has had neo nazi roots for fecks sake and they generally rank pretty high in these least racist most tolerable lists.

Also most of that 20 percent that you mention are well white.

London is heavily diverse but the same over representation for blacks in crime applies there as well

Anyway @The Corinthian is right, the thread has been derailed, this isn't the right place to discuss this.

NewDawnFades

How mature of you.

Yes , I readily admit that this country isn't perfect (im starting to hate it actually)and I'm actively in favor of police reform and while I'm sure there are instances of racism in police activity i think the bigger picture mostly has to do with generational poverty, poverty breeds poverty and the more you wallow in it the harder it gets to get it out, it breeds crime and it's a self sustaining cycle, that's a problem the African American community faces and to me that's the main reason.

Stuff like how well educated African immigrants (from Nigeria for example) do or how much progress many of the other minorities like Asian immigrants have done for themselves does corroborate that hypothesis somewhat.

There's also stuff like affirmative action which goes against the whole premise of systemic racism.

Also the same stats literally apply to every other country with major immigrants populated in Europe, so I guess France and uk have systemic racism as well.

Edit: here's the wiki page for uk for example and as you could see blacks are over represented again
Wiki
Some googling shows the same applies to France as well, you could explain it in three ways:
A Th racist answer being that blacks do more crime
B highevel systemic racism
C generational poverty

I like to think it's mostly c.

Speak for yourself.
Didn’t your last president call Mexicans rapists, and say they’d ban all Muslims before getting elected? You may not see it where you live but just less than half your country is extremely, violently racist. It’s no wonder with such a brief history dominated by slavery and mass imprisonment.

Blood Mage

He fecking hates United and it's painful to listen to him commentate our games.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's really smug for someone who is constantly wrong