5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

People slating him need to do one, he was quality last night the amount of running he did was immense. He scored a lovely goal and almost assisted Rooney in the first half, OK he fluffed his lines for a second goal but he had a very good game and will only improve.
He wasn't 'quality'. He was very average and has been since he came into the first team. He took his goal well but overall he is not good enough for a team 'supposedly' challenging for Top 4.

Green_Red

Good game, looks better and better every time I see him. Very positive with his movement and passing. Couldnt ask for more from a young lad really.

Aint gota Kalou

He's not as technically talented as someone like Memphis but he does a lot of very good work off the ball and makes our attack a lot more exciting and penetrating. I like him but not sure he will be a starter long term, very happy with him playing games at the moment though.

Sylar

Should be rotated with Memphis quite a bit imo (or both played). Nothing wrong with that as it keeps them both fresh this season. Took his goal well (his run to get into that position was great)

Shame about the miss, and yeah, hes missed a few chances this season so far, but its also nice to see him getting into those positions. Defo needs to improve on that aspect but his off the ball running is lovely.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Strangely polarising player it seems from the comments on here. I think he's great personally.

Maldini's Hair

I like him, he's direct and seems to link up well with the other attacking players. However, his uncanny ability to fluff excellent goal scoring opportunities shouldn't be ignored. Needs to sharpen up on his composure if he wants to make it here.

Verminator

I like him and think he's been good when given the chance.
People slating him for that miss must have only just started watching football. There have been plenty of occasions that has happened to players with much more illustrious reputations. I've seen Rooney, Scholes, Pirlo, Shearer and Gibson do the same in that position. I've even seen some miss the ball completely.
Anyone would think he missed with a stationary ball from 12 yards out.

Shamwow

I like him and think he's been good when given the chance.
People slating him for that miss must have only just started watching football. There have been plenty of occasions that has happened to players with much more illustrious reputations. I've seen Rooney, Scholes, Pirlo, Shearer and Gibson do the same in that position. I've even seen some miss the ball completely.
Anyone would think he missed with a stationary ball from 12 yards out.
What you mean like half our team have done in penalty shootout the last few years?

Timdbro

I also don't think he was taken off for missing the chance (if that were the case, Fellaini would never play for us..). If anything, LVG probably prefers him to Memphis because of his defensive work, and we all know Darmian needed the help yesterday. It was almost certainly a matter of fatigue, in his first start back from injury.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He'll never be a world beater, but i think he has a role at United somewhere. He's consistently looked one of our more dangerous players. Maybe it's just the fact that we've been bereft of things to get excited about going forward, but he always sticks out for me.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I would say he is easily our second best attacking player this season. He didn't play that much as others though, but his level of performances is clearly second best IMO, only behind Martial(from forwards).

I think he has a good chance of being at least good squad player in years to come.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Better than what Mata has been serving up for 2 months. Has Mata even got a shot on target since his last goal?

The miss was bad but he gets into positions to score, works hard and is generally more positive than Mata and Depay lately.

He wont be a star here but a nice squad player he could be and there is nothing wrong with that.

We must buy a world class forward. Producing them is just too big an ask at this time.

khoazany

This 'late bloomer' stuff is clutching at straws. Late bloomers who make it at top clubs are generally an anomaly as opposed to the norm. Lingard is now 23 and I just don't see it with him at all. He's so physically weak and is painfully average. I think he could forge a decent career at a lower PL team but he's not and never will be a top player (IMO). We need much better than Lingard and I'll be shocked if he's still with us in 2 years time.
Clutching at straws? :lol: Did I say the same about other former youth players? I think I have a pretty good idea about which stage of development he's at having watched him for about 5-6 years. He's a late bloomer, that's not even an opinion but a fact. Who care if late bloomer at top clubs are anomaly? Obviously him being late bloomer isn't equivalent with "he will be good" but talking about him like a normal 23 years old players is really lacking of context. I don't even predict his future ceiling. He's doing a decent job at the moment and have a lot of rooms for improvement, that's all I know and care about. We might become a super club again after 2-3 years and he might be let go to Stoke by then, if that happens then great for us.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Clutching at straws? :lol: Did I say the same about other former youth players? I think I have a pretty good idea about which stage of development he's at having watched him for about 5-6 years. He's a late bloomer, that's not even an opinion but a fact. Who care if late bloomer at top clubs are anomaly? Obviously him being late bloomer isn't equivalent with "he will be good" but talking about him like a normal 23 years old players is really lacking of context. I don't even predict his future ceiling. He's doing a decent job at the moment and have a lot of rooms for improvement, that's all I know and care about. We might become a super club again after 2-3 years and he might be let go to Stoke by then, if that happens then great for us.
No idea what the green smiley is for. Great, you think he's a "late bloomer" - I personally think he's a limited footballer. He's grand at the moment because we are so poor, but long term, we need so much better. He will be 24 at the midpoint of next season and he has just about managed over 60 professional appearances to-date, with most being in the Championship. I still think it's clutching at straws.

This "late bloomer" crap gets thrown around far too often and the usual suspects like Costa and Drogba get branded about even though they are clear anomalies. Lingard hasn't shown anything so far to suggest he's good enough for us.

khoazany

No idea what the green smiley is for. Great, you think he's a "late bloomer" - I personally think he's a limited footballer. He's grand at the moment because we are so poor, but long term, we need so much better. He will be 24 at the midpoint of next season and he has just about managed over 60 professional appearances to-date, with most being in the Championship. I still think it's clutching at straws.

This "late bloomer" crap gets thrown around far too often and the usual suspects like Costa and Drogba get branded about even though they are clear anomalies. Lingard hasn't shown anything so far to suggest he's good enough for us.
I don't think you really get what "late bloomer" means, it simply means he's has a same stage of development as players who are few years younger than him due to reasons like late physical development or mental age or other reasons.It has nothing to do with whether he will be good enough or not.Lingard has always been a small lad since his young age so the club has had to be more patient with his development than other lads.

Robbie Boy

I don't think you really get what "late bloomer" means, just that you have no idea how players develop.
No, I fully understand the term "late bloomer". It's really not very complex. I still believe that Lingard is a limited player that is playing because of a dearth of attacking options in our squad and players being massively out of form. He's done an ok job, mind, but nothing more than ok.

As for 'player development' - yeah naturally enough I wouldn't have a massive insight on how it works; with the coaching side of things etc. I would know as much as you or any other armchair fan.

khoazany

No, I fully understand the term "late bloomer". It's really not very complex. I still believe that Lingard is a limited player that is playing because of a dearth of attacking options in our squad and players being massively out of form. He's done an ok job, mind, but nothing more than ok.

As for 'player development' - yeah naturally enough I wouldn't have a massive insight on how it works; with the coaching side of things etc. I would know as much as you or any other armchair fan.
Nah, I'm sure you don't understand judging from your post.I will stop wasting my time anyway.Carry on with your own idea.

Robbie Boy

Nah, I'm sure you don't understand judging from your post.I will stop wasting my time anyway.Carry on with your own idea.
Nope, it's very obvious. You're just being purposely obtuse because I don't agree with your assertion.

khoazany

Nope, it's very obvious. You're just being purposely obtuse because I don't agree with your assertion.
What's my assertion?I said he's a late bloomer so still very far from anywhere near his peak.Then you keep going on with how he has made only that much appearances despite being a 23 years old and is a limited player.Clearly you interpreted my post as if I claimed he will be a top player in the future or United first team regular long-term.I did not say anything of sort.I usually don't want to talk about what will happen 3-5 years down the road.We are not even sure if we're still a top club by then.

Robbie Boy

What's my assertion?I said he's a late bloomer so still very far from anywhere near his peak.Then you keep going on with how he has made only that much appearances despite being a 23 years old and is a limited player.Clearly you interpreted my post as if I claimed he will be a top player in the future or United first team regulars long-term.I did not say anything of sort.
Well, first of all, I never said you said "anything of a sort". You came at me all guns blazing because of how you interpited my original post. Secondly, that post wasn't actually specifically attributed to you. It was more a general post. The term "late bloomer" is just another football cliche that gets thrown around and the whole Drogba comarison gets brought up. It's been done to death.

I personally think you're being extremely pedantic over the phrase "late bloomer" and you're kind of delving into semantics. The phrase is kind of hard to take out of context. I never gave my direct translation of the phrase. If you had bothered to read and understand my post, you would see that I disagree with Lingard being a "late bloomer". You're the one claiming to have superior knowledge on the player, not me.

I'm of the opinion that this isn't some late bloomer who is starting to flourish in his twenties. I'm of the opinion that he is a limited player that is only playing because of mitigating circumstances - not because it's some divine plan to introduce this "late bloomer" to the world. That's why - again all my opinion - he hasn't exactly set the footballing world alight, or really done much despite being 23. He was unlucky with his injury last season, but that happens. He had one memorable game on loan at Birmingham but at Derby last season, I found him underwhelming when I watched them play and Ince looked miles ahead of Jese (yes I'm aware they have different styles of play).

So you see, I'm not debating the terminology of the late bloomer phrase; I'm disagreeing with the assertion that he is one. That's my opinion and I don't feel Lingard will be here long term.

Last edited:

khoazany

Well, first of all, I never said you said "anything of a sort". You came at me all guns blazing because of how you interpited my original post. Secondly, that post wasn't actually specifically attributed to you. It was more a general post. The term "late bloomer" is just another football cliche that gets thrown around and the whole Drogba comarison gets brought up. It's been done to death.

I personally think you're being extremely pedantic over the phrase "late bloomer" and you're kind of delving into semantics. The phrase is kind of hard to take out of context. I never gave my direct translation of the phrase. If you had bothered to read and understand my post, you would see that I disagree with Lingard being a "late bloomer". You're the one claiming to have superior knowledge on the player, not me.

I'm of the opinion that this isn't some late bloomer who is starting to flourish in his twenties. I'm of the opinion that he is a limited player that is only playing because of mitigating circumstances - not because it's some divine plan to introduce this "late bloomer" to the world. That's why - again all my opinion - he hasn't exactly set the footballing world alight, or really done much despite being 23. He was unlucky with his injury last season, but that happens. He had one memorable game on loan at Birmingham but at Derby last season, I found him underwhelming when I watched them play and Ince looked miles ahead of Jese (yes I'm aware they have different styles of play).

So you see, I'm not debating the terminology of the late bloomer phrase; I'm disagreeing with the assertion that he is one. That's my opinion and I don't feel Lingard will be here long term.
Oh right seems I've understood you, apologize for that.I'm fine with your minority opinion.It's so obvious for me that's he's a late bloomer though having seen him grown from looking like a waterboy in the U18s squad to scoring for United first team.Pretty much many other people at the club said the same.

Robbie Boy

Oh right seems I've understood you, apologize for that.I'm fine with your minority opinion.It's so obvious for me that's he's a late bloomer though having seen him grown from looking like a waterboy in the U18s squad to scoring for United first team.Pretty much many other people at the club said the same.
Well that's fair enough. We have contrasting opinions. He's an intelligent player and I would love to see him develop here but I feel he has so many limitations. It would have been nice to see him to come into our squad if we were actually playing some fluid attacking football but this isn't a great time to be integrated into the first team.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's a good squad player to have. Someone who's quite good and can play all over the attacking positions but not quite good enough to be a regular.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Really weird opinions. Memphis scored 30 odd goals last year and has been absolutely garbage this year, but most would expect him to develop into a world beater. Jesse has been quite impressive this season, showing the desire and skill needed of a competent winger, yet he's only a squad player. Bizarre. I reckon Jesse could go on loan to PSV, score 25 goals over the next few months and change opinions, such is the quality of the piss poor competition.

Tosicsleftpeg

I like him and tbh he has changed my opinion of him through his displays. He's not Neymar but he's quick, clever, and hard working. His technical skill is clearly not up there with the best but its not shite either. He is the kind of player we need in the squad a reliable player who will run all day, can run at people to cause problems and pops up with the goal or assist.

If he'd have scored that second chance on Tuesday wed be hailing him as the second coming of Christ. Hes not a great goal scorer bit he does get in the positions which means he will get a few goals for us.

Moonred

He has pace and is generally positive. Gets into decent positions which is good. But he seems limited and lacks composure which makes me think that he will never make it any more than being a squad player.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Strangely polarising player it seems from the comments on here. I think he's great personally.
I'm a little bit in between. I like his movement and energy, but it can't be denied that his misses have cost us a few games this season.

Still hoping he makes it at the club.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He has pace and is generally positive. Gets into decent positions which is good. But he seems limited and lacks composure which makes me think that he will never make it any more than being a squad player.
His pace is decent but nowhere near explosive and he's not physically imposing either plus he lacks the trickery and skill to beat defenders. He makes some excellent runs and some clever passes in the final third but case he needs to be clinical with his finishing if he wants to be successful, which he is not at this point in time. I'd give him one more season to see if he improves that aspect before selling him. He's 23 already so he's not get much time left.

edcunited1878

Lingard is worth his place in the squad because he can do a job and has different qualities from other players. Pace, direct, surprisingly neat footwork with the ball and can get in behind defenses. He can press as well. He's had glaring misses, but the fact that he's getting into positions where he can have clear opportunities is very good. He'll need more playing time to develop (hopefully) his clinical finishing.

Players with a great attitude, is not a problem and is willing to take his chances and improve the team in any way are players you must keep in the squad. Young and Valencia are prime examples of this.

He's 23, how does he not have much time left? His wages are low and he provides more good on a consistent basis than bad, even though his sample size has been relatively small.

Shamwow

I'm a little bit in between. I like his movement and energy, but it can't be denied that his misses have cost us a few games this season.

Still hoping he makes it at the club.
Aye his misses are frustrating but I don't think as bad as people are making out. There have been 3 bad ones I can think of and some more very understandable ones (I.e. Against city)

I was surprised to see that according to squawka his conversion rate is better than matA's

Liverpool 0:1 Man Utd

Bojan11

Average at best. Nowhere near good enough for us.

Wouldn't get in most premier league teams yet we starting him because he's a youth product.

prateik

Nah.
Wasnt involved much though. All the play was down the left with Fellaini being the target man on that flank.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's been about as useful as Mata, who has been fecking shit too. Great strength in depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.