Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Brightonian

Klopp doesn't spend much because he has one policy: he signs his priority target or he signs no one. Its the same issue that hamstrung him at Dortmund
Tbf the vast majority of his signings at Dortmund were excellent. Enough that he was the jealousy f*p du jour here on the caf for a few years over our 'shit transfer record' (and other such nonsense.)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Klopp doesn't spend much because he has one policy: he signs his priority target or he signs no one. Its the same issue that hamstrung him at Dortmund
First of all Klopp didn't decide these things alone at Dortmund, they have a DoF. Secondly I'd like to hear examples, because back then Dortmund weren't exactly in a position to splash the cash.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
First of all Klopp didn't decide these things alone at Dortmund, they have a DoF. Secondly I'd like to hear examples, because back then Dortmund weren't exactly in a position to splash the cash.
Outside England no coach decides the signings, at best they can tell to the DOF or President "I want this player".

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
And don't Liverpool have a "transfer committee".
Don't know that, only saying Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho, Conte when worked outside the Premier League didn't had the power alone to decide all the signings, this is basic fact, in Continental Europe there is a DOF who has the same role as a manager.

buckooo1978

an absolute bullshit artist

agree with very very little Joey Barton has to say but his description of Klopp as a big German Cheerleader was pretty good

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Them having a DOF made no difference. The DOF was working on his terms. Its why they consistently had a small squad. The "splashiing cash" excuse doesn't even come into it because Dortmund were shopping for hidden gems all the time. (I.e Kagawa, Aubameyang, Mhikitaryan who they got for cheap fees). For Klopp he either gets his first choice or he'd rather not buy. He only changes his mind if too good an opportunity pops up. That's why this summer its been Van Dijk and Naby Keita or no one else for them roles.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
They are really going to struggle this year unless he gets some reinforcements, the first XI is solid, but they lack depth in pretty much every position. Last year they got lucky with injuries and barely had any games outside the PL.

If they have hopes of doing well in the cups/CL and the PL, they are going to get rekt by injuries/fatigue by January/February

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Them having a DOF made no difference. The DOF was working on his terms. Its why they consistently had a small squad. The "splashiing cash" excuse doesn't even come into it because Dortmund were shopping for hidden gems all the time. (I.e Kagawa, Aubameyang, Mhikitaryan who they got for cheap fees). For Klopp he either gets his first choice or he'd rather not buy. He only changes his mind if too good an opportunity pops up. That's why this summer its been Van Dijk and Naby Keita or no one else for them roles.
It's beginning to look that way for his Liverpool side (though at some point you got to wonder if the owner's willingness to spend isn't the problem), but regarding his time at Dortmund you're literally making stuff up. Mentioning Mkhitaryan especially, who was neither first choice (de Bruyne, Isco and Thiago were ahead of him in the list, James might have been too) nor was he cheap, since he was actually the club's record signing at the time.

Last edited:

Sereques

To think that there was a time our fans think this guys was too good for United and will never consider joining Man United.

It's beginning to look that way for his Liverpool side (though at some point you got to wonder if the owner's willingness to spend isn't the problem), but regarding his time at Dortmund you're literally making stuff up. Mentioning Mkhitaryan especially, who was neither first choice (de Bruyne, Isco and Thiago were ahead of him in the list, James might have been too) nor was he cheap, since he was actually the club's record signing at the time.
You are the one making up stuff.:lol: He couldn't afford Isco nor KDB. He was never in the running for Thiago either. Mikihtaryan was his first choice to replace Goetze. To talk of James just confirms all the more what bs you are talking:lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You are the one making up stuff.:lol: He couldn't afford Isco nor KDB. He was never in the running for Thiago either. Mikihtaryan was his first choice to replace Goetze. To talk of James just confirms all the more what bs you are talking:lol:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...59/dortmund-wanted-isco-thiago-confirms-klopp

I read stuff about Dortmund trying for James at the time of the Götze departure a couple of years later, but I cba looking for a source and I don't really think it matters if you count him or not.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/pr...nho-stopped-me-from-joining-klopp-at-dortmund

Dortmund wanting to sign KdB and vice versa was circulating in the (reliable) media for weeks. Ultimately Chelsea didn't want to sell him and they moved on to Mkhitaryan.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. You are trying to pass off them looking at players 'with interest' with them having been first choice? He himself puts it plainly, he had zero chance of getting Thiago nor Isco. So that does not make them count as a first choice target. And Goetze and Kagawa were the two players Klopp was trying to replace. KDB would have replaced Kagawa but Chelsea were not interested in selling and of they had that season it would have been way above what Dortmund would have been willing to pay. You should never conflate a player wanting to go with the club wanting him being able to get him.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
At one point you wonder: how long is he going to stay at that club?

If he's waiting for silverware, it's highly unlikely they're gonna get any - the best players in the league will always be attracted to United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Spurs (maybe the last two will be swapped now in order of priority). And if they manage to get their hands on a top player, they are unlikely to keep him for more than a couple of seasons if the player wants out, and we've seen that the player always wants out. The board doesn't like to spend big, and when they do they have their priorities messed up.

Klopp's teams usually are more than the sum of their parts, yes, but there is so much you can do without having the best players. He can get Liverpool consistent CL finishes, at the very most, but that's about it. Will he be satisfied being a Wenger-esque coach? The board will love that, so he will never be fired, but I'm talking about his call. At what point does he want to shift to a new club where he can actually win silverware?

Peanut Butter

At one point you wonder: how long is he going to stay at that club?

If he's waiting for silverware, it's highly unlikely they're gonna get any - the best players in the league will always be attracted to United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Spurs (maybe the last two will be swapped now in order of priority). And if they manage to get their hands on a top player, they are unlikely to keep him for more than a couple of seasons if the player wants out, and we've seen that the player always wants out. The board doesn't like to spend big, and when they do they have their priorities messed up.

Klopp's teams usually are more than the sum of their parts, yes, but there is so much you can do without having the best players. He can get Liverpool consistent CL finishes, at the very most, but that's about it. Will he be satisfied being a Wenger-esque coach? The board will love that, so he will never be fired, but I'm talking about his call. At what point does he want to shift to a new club where he can actually win silverware?
Klopp is the plucky underachiever. He strikes me as someone who is fine with top 4 finishes as long as Pool are playing football in his way.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Let me get this straight. You are trying to pass off them looking at players 'with interest' with them having been first choice? He himself puts it plainly, he had zero chance of getting Thiago nor Isco. So that does not make them count as a first choice target. And Goetze and Kagawa were the two players Klopp was trying to replace. KDB would have replaced Kagawa but Chelsea were not interested in selling and of they had that season it would have been way above what Dortmund would have been willing to pay. You should never conflate a player wanting to go with the club wanting him being able to get him.
You said he (they) has one priority target he locks in on. The pursuit of Isco and Thiago might have stopped in its tracks because the club wasn't able to compete with Bayern's and Real's offers, but it shows that a wider net was cast - Eriksen was in it, too btw. Mkhitaryan cost ~€27m, de Bruyne moved to Wolfsburg for €22m half a year later (but sure, we can also believe that a club agrees terms with a player they can't pay for) and Kagawa left a year before Götze - he was replaced by Reus.

mayurr

Supports
Liverpool
I think people are reading too much from the usual pres conference bullshit, he is talking about being happy with his defence, milner being a new midfielder, anything can happen, they are trying for new signing..blah blah i hes just answering questions as they come. Nothing in it

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
For a club and fans that expect that they will be challenging for the title every year, how on earth do they expect to do anything significant by moving Milner back into midfield.

From expecting that they will be signing Keita to now having Milner back in midfield must be awful.

I suppose this year is still their year though.

Acole9

Outstanding
He made some strange comments about Ronaldo winning the award at the Champions League draw.

Varun

Staff
Yes, they think we are so useless and a "top coach" like Klopp will have no incentive to leave a "Big" club like Dortmund and join Man United.
I'd be surprised if there were even 10 posts along these lines.

Sad Chris

Klopp is just like a junkie. Give him money for groceries and he'll come back with crack.

Replace crack with attacking players and groceries with any sensible player that is not attacking, would strengthen your defence and give you a tiny chance of really winning anything that shines as bright as stolen hub caps.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
We will see how good or bad he is in the coming months. He has achieved his first objective , Champions League football. Lets see where he goes from here. The man is no idiot as certain people on here would have you think. He has his plan and methods and seems to be sticking to them

GrandJury

We will see how good or bad he is in the coming months. He has achieved his first objective , Champions League football. Lets see where he goes from here. The man is no idiot as certain people on here would have you think. He has his plan and methods and seems to be sticking to them
Still has a defence everyone can laugh at though.