Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckooo1978

like the last City match he finished the game cramped and limping.....

He needs a run to develop his fitness and sharpness - I guess he will get it with Bailly out

prarek

First half he was constantly getting beaten by Navas but second half was the exact opposite.

podurban2

I think he just needs minutes, not worried. After that injury it could have been way worse.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He maybe like Wayne when he's injured ? Struggling to get match fitness even when he's out for 10 days.

But he was ok yesterday and I'm much more confident when he's there than Blind to be honest.

I'm worried about one thing.

He's not connecting well with his different wingers.

His connexion with Martial his atrocious (Martial never play with his defenders) and I think that Marcus his a little bit immature yet to play in this position.

We'll get the best out of Shaw when he'll work in tandem with a consistent winger

prarek

His performance was like the whole team in one player. Miraculous transformation at half-time. His brother may think he's a cnut but Mourinho obviously knows how to get in Luke's head.
I think maybe he realized(or maybe Jose told him at halftime) that Navas only has pace, not much dribbling ability, so if you stay inside and not get drawn in a foot race he can't beat you always.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's definitely lost a yard of acceleration, but that match will have done him a world of good. He grew into the game and fair play didn't go hiding when Navas was giving him a tough time.

He just needs a few more games and he will get that yard back, thought he had a good game Navas apart though.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought he was a bit exposed against Navas and their RB, meaning Rashford didn't help him a lot in the first half. In the second half, a much better team performance allowed his individual performance to improve.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Navas may be a bit average, but he's probably top ten fastest in the league; giving him two yards won't work, not even for Shaw who isn't electric on the first two or three yards anyhow, great top speed though.
He really is, when fit that is. His acceleration is just sick, an in form Shaw just can't be beaten. Note I said when fit and in form. Right now he's sporting a Schweinsteiger-esque arse and has lost some acceleration. When him and Bailly are up and running again; Valencia, Bailly, Smalling and Shaw must be the fastest back line ever, like seriously?

snk123

Don't agree that he had a good second half. He was average - was a little closer to Navas but still outpaced and had to stretch at the last time to block a few crosses which resulted in corners.

Was second best all game and needs to be match fit fast.

Murray3007

He maybe like Wayne when he's injured ? Struggling to get match fitness even when he's out for 10 days.

But he was ok yesterday and I'm much more confident when he's there than Blind to be honest.

I'm worried about one thing.

He's not connecting well with his different wingers.

His connexion with Martial his atrocious (Martial never play with his defenders) and I think that Marcus his a little bit immature yet to play in this position.

We'll get the best out of Shaw when he'll work in tandem with a consistent winger
got to agree with this, best he worked with anyone was with Depay at the start of last season before the injury.

Infra-red

He's certainly carrying too much weight. I thought he was absolutely shambolic in the first half last night but looks to have been given the full hairdryer treatment at half time. Much, much better in the 2nd half and really didn't give Navas any space.

He needs games (and a diet), which he should now get with Bailly out until at least Christmas.

Last edited:

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He really is, when fit that is. His acceleration is just sick, an in form Shaw just can't be beaten. Note I said when fit and in form. Right now he's sporting a Schweinsteiger-esque arse and has lost some acceleration. When him and Bailly are up and running again; Valencia, Bailly, Smalling and Shaw must be the fastest back line ever, like seriously?
They may be fast but the are both headless. We need to pair one of them with a commanding CB in order to have a great back line.

This year's Valencia is top ok, hope it stays the same

As for Luke Shaw, I think that Mou should look after his fitness and not giving long runs in the team. Even at 19 years he needs to look at this body

Brophs

The One and Only
His obvious lack of condition has nothing to do with the year long sleepover he and his mates have been having, I'm sure.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He will have a similar rise and fall to Wayne Rooney I imagine. Regular battles to keep his weight/shape in check and a similar physical decline as he approaches thirty. Before then, he'll be able to play 3 games a week though, run all day etc. They seem physically very similar, and yesterday I think also showed the same Rooney issue where he needs to be playing constantly to be in shape.

Both were man/childs, very physically mature in their teenage years, but not necessarily the type of athletes to have a visible 6-pack.

This is my non-medical/non-expert assessment of course.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He will have a similar rise and fall to Wayne Rooney I imagine. Regular battles to keep his weight/shape in check and a similar physical decline as he approaches thirty. Before then, he'll be able to play 3 games a week though, run all day etc. They seem physically very similar, and yesterday I think also showed the same Rooney issue where he needs to be playing constantly to be in shape.

Both were man/childs, very physically mature in their teenage years, but not necessarily the type of athletes to have a visible 6-pack.

Well, if he could have a Rooney like career at United I won't complain.

Rossa

That backline is probably the fastest I can think of, agreed. Shaw is great defensively, but I always felt he needed a couple of yards to really get going, but I may be mistaken. Supposedly his 40 yard sprints at Southampton bettered Bale and Walcott's.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
With regards to people saying that he is out of shape: I do agree with this. He looked extremely heavy, especially for a 20 year old elite level athlete.
LVG, in Shaw's first season did highlight that he is unfit and needs to get himself into shape before he can play for him.
Clearly Shaw does have a long term issue and as others have said, he will need to play games constantly, to use energy regularly, which in turn should keep him trim(mer).
If/when he goes on a run of games where he doesn't play, he has a tendency to get fat.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
It's weird that he's so out of shape considering the effort he's put in previously (personal trainer during the summer) to keep fit.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I have the same problem. Im either on diet+ intensive fitness regime or im gaining weight. Its funny becasue a dietitian set me on 1800 kcal diet plus gym and i was still getting fatter. When we reduced to 1500 kcal i finally dropped weight. Im 184 cm and weihgt 96 kg with 30% body fat. Yet. I look quite normal.
It must be hell of a challenge for a professional athelete to manage such body.

SirAF

Ageist

He is far more "shredded" than Rooney. Then again, most athletes are :p

3KDré

He seemed so full of energy last year at this time, and now it seems the opposite. I hope he starts picking up because it is early in the season and we all know he truly is one of the best young players in the world for his position.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
he was out for almost a year. He's bound to have ups and downs.

Bwuk

I have the same problem. Im either on diet+ intensive fitness regime or im gaining weight. Its funny becasue a dietitian set me on 1800 kcal diet plus gym and i was still getting fatter. When we reduced to 1500 kcal i finally dropped weight. Im 184 cm and weihgt 96 kg with 30% body fat. Yet. I look quite normal.
It must be hell of a challenge for a professional athelete to manage such body.
The numbers don't add up on that.

Weight is dictated by calories in vs calories out. Considering the amount of training Shaw will surely do, his diet must be complete rubbish for him to be overweight.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Don't think Rooney has ever been in that kind of shape. Even from the summer, after his recovery there was still a bit of definition

Luke doesn't look to be in the best of shape right now but I doubt he'll have the same issue as Rooney through his career. Rooney was known for smoking, drinking and partying during summer and not keeping himself in shape at all. In contrast, Luke had been with fitness coaches the past couple of summers.

He's not at his best fitness but i think people are overplaying this, its not like hes carrying a beer gut. The main reason he was getting beaten by Navas was his positioning. Running sideways and having to turn from a poor position, if a quick winger gets the jump on you even Usain Bolt will struggle to stay ahead in the first few yards.

criticalanalysis

He definitely has lost match fitness but I'm not so sure about this 'overweight' business. It seems to me he obviously has wide hips and just carries more skin/baby fat lol, if you know what I mean.

His metabolism is probably not very high/he's not burning enough energy i.e because he's not playing every week. The thing is once he does, you're getting a monster of a physical left back, fast in acceleration, fast in top speed carrying the ball, fast over long distances and a sturdy frame to contend with. That's not to mention, good technique and touch.

The kid is so young, once he finds rhythm to his game attacking wise, you will opposition teams respect that and play off him. That will expand our attacking dimension.

I said it in the Bailly injury thread I think but one 'positive' out of that is Mourinho will be forced to play Shaw more; unless Rojo suddenly jumps in favour (after a good game against City), the automatic first choice back four should be Tony, Smalling, Blind and Shaw.

Those four will have to play their way into form and find the partnerships that help each other play better.

I'm personally excited to see that as I think Shaw, like Herrera, is just perennially on the brink of breaking out. To be fair to Shaw, this would be his 2nd coming after being cruelly stopped by that cnut.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Don't think Rooney has ever been in that kind of shape. Even from the summer, after his recovery there was still a bit of definition

Luke doesn't look to be in the best of shape right now but I doubt he'll have the same issue as Rooney through his career. Rooney was known for smoking, drinking and partying during summer and not keeping himself in shape at all. In contrast, Luke had been with fitness coaches the past couple of summers.
That's all fair. I'm not referring to an attitude issue though, more a matter of nature over nurture.

It's great that Shaw (along with Adnan I think) took a fitness coach on holiday with them. My point is he seems the type who would need to. Ashley Young probably wouldn't, he's built differently. Even in the pics you added, Shaw has some definition, but would struggle to be Ronaldo shredded I think. The likes of Rooney, Shaw, Carroll - probably all much fitter than they look but seem to have a tendency to lose shape easier than some others. I doubt Shaw is any less professional than any of his teammates, but we've already had a couple of periods where we have all agreed he looks out of shape since he's been here. I suspect there will be many more, as that is how he's built.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
It seems as though as soon as the 'fat' or 'overweight'-idea has stuck in the head of fans, they keep going with it as long as the player doesnt perform to perfection. The man is not fecking overweight or fat for Gods sake. Even reading that he needs to lose 6-7 kg :lol:

Get a grip, people.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's all fair. I'm not referring to an attitude issue though, more a matter of nature over nurture.

It's great that Shaw (along with Adnan I think) took a fitness coach on holiday with them. My point is he seems the type who would need to. Ashley Young probably wouldn't, he's built differently. Even in the pics you added, Shaw has some definition, but would struggle to be Ronaldo shredded I think. The likes of Rooney, Shaw, Carroll - probably all much fitter than they look but seem to have a tendency to lose shape easier than some others. I doubt Shaw is any less professional than any of his teammates, but we've already had a couple of periods where we have all agreed he looks out of shape since he's been here. I suspect there will be many more, as that is how he's built.
It's definitely true that some people put on weight easier than others. Shaw like Rooney needs to be training and playing regularly to keep in peak performance. He looked off the pace against Fenerbahce and 1 yard off Navas, but 2nd half he got even better. I expect if he plays against Burnley he will look much sharper.

red4ever 79

Hope he plays today. Needs a run of games and needs to build his fitness up. Looked overweight against city and had a poor first half

Both full backs very good today, especially Shaw with his goal saving tackle.

Ban

Anyone has a gif of when he stopped that player, Vokes I think, who was through on goal. Outran him and blocked a pass.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Really annoyed me that Waddle? was having a go at him for getting up slowly after getting clattered by some Burnley player :houllier:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Anyone has a gif of when he stopped that player, Vokes I think, who was through on goal. Outran him and blocked a pass.
It was Gray I think

3KDré

GIF of the goal saving tackle? My stream started to freeze towards the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.