Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

After the injury, has he retained his pace? Those few games he's played he's looked slow and unfit.
Top speed I think he's still speed monster. Acceleration and agility he is slower and seems out of shape too. He's less brave too. Before his injury he's defending on front foot, cutting passes and then burst straight up field to counter attack. Now seems like defend on back foot as well lay off the ball more than trying force thing. Definitely the injury affects his mentality.

Bwuk

Ever broken your leg before?
I broke my leg and ankle at the same time and was back playing football in about 6 months.

Obviously his injury won't be the exact same as mine, and he is a professional athlete and I'm not.

Long story short, you can't keep using it as an excuse. Plenty of players have broken their legs.

Shaw will be sold in the summer I reckon. Don't think Jose thinks he's up to it at all.

dichinero

I broke my leg and ankle at the same time and was back playing football in about 6 months.

Obviously his injury won't be the exact same as mine, and he is a professional athlete and I'm not.

Long story short, you can't keep using it as an excuse. Plenty of players have broken their legs.

Shaw will be sold in the summer I reckon. Don't think Jose thinks he's up to it at all.
Sorry about your leg but obviously your leg break will not be as serious as his if you were back playing after 6 months neither would the intensity required of you be the same. To get back to th re level he was takes longer than we often think. Any player is pretty much having to learn on two new legs. Other than that, readjustment can cause other muscular injuries. He will be fine but selling this summer does not make any sense

ti vu

Sorry about your leg but obviously your leg break will not be as serious as his if you were back playing after 6 months neither would the intensity required of you be the same. To get back to th re level he was takes longer than we often think. Any player is pretty much having to learn on two new legs. Other than that, readjustment can cause other muscular injuries. He will be fine but selling this summer does not make any sense
Agree. Arguably the level he was before the leg break is the built up with all his effort in the past. Now he's back to negative start with much less fit body, and scarred mentality and new environment with new management which involve different tactic, higher expectation...

Ibi Dreams

He's definitely very quick and I'm not sure his agility and acceleration have gone either, I think he was genuinely unfit when he played a few games for us. He kept getting beaten down the line by really obvious play, which shouldn't happen even to players who aren't that quick. I used to be a big fan of his but I'm starting to wonder if he's going to make it - he seems to get injured a lot and I'm not sure he stays in great shape, plus the only thing he's ever offered going forward is pace. He's never scored a goal in his career and I don't think he's got a single assist for us either. I love watching him burst into space and he's great at that, but what he does with the ball afterwards is rarely up to the standard required.

kundalini

We are missing an in form Shaw at LB. Blind or Rojo can't match his attacking threat imo.
If you go to squawka and use their comparison matrix, you'd realise just how limited Shaw's attacking threat is and has been since he first started for Southampton. He has 4 assists in the PL in his career (2 for Southampton and 2 for United). He averages around 0.94 chances created per game in the PL for United (more like 0.97 for both clubs). 0 goals scored. His surges up the field which seem impressive in real time, don't look so great when compared to other full-backs' stats, though they are significantly better than Rojo's and Blind's. You are correct that Rojo is worse but Blind massively out-performs Shaw in terms of goals, assists and chances created as a left-back.

Last edited:

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
If you go to squawka and use their comparison matrix, you'd realise just how limited Shaw's attacking threat is and has been since he first started for Southampton. He has 4 assists in the PL in his career (2 for Southampton and 2 for United). He typically averages around 1.0 chances created per game in the PL. 0 goals scored. His surges up the field which seem impressive in real time, don't look so great when compared to other full-backs' stats, though they are significantly better than Rojo's and Blind's. You are correct that Rojo is worse but Blind massively out-performs Shaw in terms of goals, assists and chances created as a left-back.
This is all fine & dandy but as with many young players we buy, we're looking for potential as much as anything and Shaw showed plenty of that (potential) at Soton. It was a great signing at the time, he was as good as there was, although I would have done everything I could ton have kept Evra. In the few games he played for us before "the break" he was, imo, really looking the part. I also believe our results would have been significantly better had his progress continued and we would have likely achieved a Champions League spot. Feck me, he was even making Memphis look good!

I so want him to come good not least because we really feckin' need someone to be our new Evra.

If he doesn't overcome his demons, or regain his confidence it'll be such a waste. :(

I personally would give him longer than just this season to prove himself but that's just me. And why I'm watching & commenting from am armchair (actually a really nice leather couch) & not making the big bucks as boss at OT.

But then again, that's why we have the caf :devil: ... and why we have Mourino

mu4c_20le

If you go to squawka and use their comparison matrix, you'd realise just how limited Shaw's attacking threat is and has been since he first started for Southampton. He has 4 assists in the PL in his career (2 for Southampton and 2 for United). He averages around 0.94 chances created per game in the PL for United (more like 0.97 for both clubs). 0 goals scored.
He was 17-18 back then, bit harsh to use stats to judge him. We paid for the potential, he just needs to stay fit and adapt to Jose's system. Unless he loses motivation or his fitness levels drop, I see no reason why he cannot succeed here. The problem with Blind at LB is that he lacks consistency and defending leaves a bit to be desired.

Silverman

If you go to squawka and use their comparison matrix, you'd realise just how limited Shaw's attacking threat is and has been since he first started for Southampton. He has 4 assists in the PL in his career (2 for Southampton and 2 for United). He averages around 0.94 chances created per game in the PL for United (more like 0.97 for both clubs). 0 goals scored. His surges up the field which seem impressive in real time, don't look so great when compared to other full-backs' stats, though they are significantly better than Rojo's and Blind's. You are correct that Rojo is worse but Blind massively out-performs Shaw in terms of goals, assists and chances created as a left-back.
Ah stats that dont include very impressive marauding runs and crosses. Not Shaws fault the forwards didnt finish decent chances.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is he in the squad for tomorrow then? He's been back for a little while now, and this is surely an opportunity to play him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wasn't seen by MEN in the Lowry, though they have been wrong occasionally.
Hopefully he features tomorrow or against Hull. I hadn't given up hope on him playing against Liverpool, but if he doesn't play tomorrow then no chance I'd imagine.

AR87

Ah stats that dont include very impressive marauding runs and crosses. Not Shaws fault the forwards didnt finish decent chances.
Also don't account for how an overlapping fullback creates gaps because the defensive shape gets stretch which benefits attackers. Obviously it'd be nice if his crossing was better, but he very clearly has attacking prowess. I haven't even looked, but I believe Evra's quantifiable attacking stats were poor and that positive attacking LBs like Rose currently probably aren't racking up assists, chances created or goals.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Agree. Arguably the level he was before the leg break is the built up with all his effort in the past. Now he's back to negative start with much less fit body, and scarred mentality and new environment with new management which involve different tactic, higher expectation...
When Shaw started this season he actually played "okay". I would even say, he did well.
As the games progressed, he digressed.
The idea that his poor form or continued injuries is down to his leg break - I do not buy this.
If his problems are due to the leg break, he should be improving, not getting worse.

I haven't given up on Shaw, but I like players to prove themselves in a MUFC shirt first, before I give them my complete support.
Shaw has played about 5 good games for us. He then got injured which was very unlucky. He was poor in his first season and this season.

For his future, his 4th year will be crucial. If he has a poor 4th season, then he should be given the opportunity to change clubs.
I don't like the idea of holding back young players (like Memphis), who don't get game time, but could be playing regular football for another team and making a name for themselves.

AR87

When Shaw started this season he actually played "okay". I would even say, he did well.
As the games progressed, he digressed.
The idea that his poor form or continued injuries is down to his leg break - I do not buy this.
If his problems are due to the leg break, he should be improving, not getting worse.
I agree. My guess is that he struggled with the difference in his responsibilities defensively and he was adjusting to the fact that Mourinho had the team playing far more directly than LVG. Whatever it is, I saw enough from him early in the season that I don't think he's a lost cause, but was just struggling for form and confidence as young players will do at times.

Imo he has a level of talent that hasn't manifested itself consistently and may never do, but his physical tools and potential to maraud down the left flank are worth persisting with at such a young age.

Silverman

Also don't account for how an overlapping fullback creates gaps because the defensive shape gets stretch which benefits attackers. Obviously it'd be nice if his crossing was better, but he very clearly has attacking prowess. I haven't even looked, but I believe Evra's quantifiable attacking stats were poor and that positive attacking LBs like Rose currently probably aren't racking up assists, chances created or goals.
Very true.

kundalini

If you had bothered to look, you would have seen that Evra's quantifiable attacking stats were not poor in the slightest:

Premier League stats only (ignores other competitions). Last season at the club 1 goal and 5 assists. Sir Alex's last season 4 goals and 6 assists. Season before that 0 goals and 6 assists. Season before that 1 goal and 2 assists. Season before that 7 assists.

AR87

If you had bothered to look, you would have seen that Evra's quantifiable attacking stats were not poor in the slightest:

Premier League stats only (ignores other competitions). Last season at the club 1 goal and 5 assists. Sir Alex's last season 4 goals and 6 assists. Season before that 0 goals and 6 assists. Season before that 1 goal and 2 assists. Season before that 7 assists.
That's great. Let's compare Evra at some of his best, in a more attacking and settled squad to Shaw at 21 and younger having just moved to a new side, dealing with injuries and having played for LVG in a side that attacked infrequently.

If you're going to make these comparisons, start comparing Shaw from 19-21 to Evra at those ages.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Really hoping Mou can revitalise this guy like he's done with so many others.

Currently the only weak spot we have in the team is LB. The stage is set for Shaw to make it his his own, if he can do it remains to see.

CM

It'd be nice to see him at least feature against Hull. Blind has been pretty rubbish lately and can't see Darmian being anything more than a temporary option.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I miss this guy, hope he is ready for the Hull match.

He has been so unlucky with injuries since he moved to us, hopefully he will catch a break from them now and nail down the LB position for good.

ChaddyP

I miss this guy, hope he is ready for the Hull match.

He has been so unlucky with injuries since he moved to us, hopefully he will catch a break from them now and nail down the LB position for good.

Literally came in here to post this. Really miss him, i have a feeling he will come back into the team and shine just like Miki and Martial did. I trust in Jose's judgement for this completely and cant wait to have him back in the first XI

Z_Wolf

Not in the squad? Hope Jose understands Shaw is still recovering from a double leg break and gives him enough chance to show his worth.

Irrational.

Fecking Moreno. :mad:

He was arguably our best player of the season so far until that leg break.

It will take him time, just like it took Tony V time after his horror injury.

3KDré

I would love to see him back and firing on all cylinders.

We've seen what Jose has done to Rojo, Jones, Mkhi, Herrera, Valencia(although he was solid last year after taking the pins out his leg anyway), Martial to an extent, Mata and perhaps even Rooney. He's rejuvenated almost all our starting XI and improved them on what they were last year. I'm putting my faith in Mou completely.

Bwuk

Fecking Moreno. :mad:

He was arguably our best player of the season so far until that leg break.

It will take him time, just like it took Tony V time after his horror injury.
He only played about 8 games...

Is he injured again? Thought I read somewhere he was meant to be playing against Reading but fell ill. Find it strange as this would of been the ideal game to try and integrate him back into the side.

Irrational.

He only played about 8 games...

Is he injured again? Thought I read somewhere he was meant to be playing against Reading but fell ill. Find it strange as this would of been the ideal game to try and integrate him back into the side.
I guess so, maybe I have skewed view but amongst the dross of the LvG shiteshow, that left wing was showing bags of promise. Memphis, and in particular Shaw, were excellent.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We had to wait for Mickey to enter his typical match rhythm then, I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for Shaw. Last season he had to come back from a football grave and Mou looks like extremely compassionate and supportive manager these days.

Not gonna say he'll be definitely a success like Evra but after Jones' return there's simply foundation for more belief.

Pat Evra

I thought these two cup matches were perfect oportunity to get him in the rhythm, but I guess Mou doesn't think he's ready yet, which is pitty knowing that Darmian is probably first choice at LB these days...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I thought these two cup matches were perfect oportunity to get him in the rhythm, but I guess Mou doesn't thinks he's ready yet, which is pitty knowing that Darmian is probably first choice at LB these days...
Jose likes to give players a while to get back to the fitness he demands which is fine by me. Look how patient he was with Jones while most on here all but wanted him humanely destroyed

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Judging by experience this isn't a good sign. What is it.... 15 months since he broke his leg. If he's not fit enough to be a starter before Mars then I think the ship has sailed away. Unfortunately. I really like that boy, huge talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.