Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Was a dive IMO.
How can you say that after watching the clip from above? I really don't get some people. The contact was clear as a day, and he couldn't do nothing about it, there's no way he could stay on his feet.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just seen the penalty again, not sure its a penalty :lol:

I don't know why Clasie looked guilty
Because he knew he was guilty of conceding.
Players know when they have conceded a penalty. They aren't as dumb as some football fans think.

Full bodied red

So happy to see him back and absolute respect to him for his courage in coming back as fearless and confident as ever.

I'm convinced he is already the best LB in the EPL and has the potential to match Patrice Evra in his prime as maybe the best LB in the world.

If we can hold on to him for another five years or so, he's certain to be an all-time United Legend

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
SHAW'S JOURNEY: FROM SAINTS TO THE DEVILS

August, 2012. London and Great Britain are basking in the glory of an incredible Olympic Games, Sir Alex Ferguson is embarking on what would turn out to be his final season as United boss and, across the city at the Etihad Stadium, Luke Shaw is enjoying his first taste of the Premier League after being named as a substitute for Southampton’s match at Manchester City.

Shaw is yet another exciting prospect honed and developed within Saints’ famed Academy ranks which spawned Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to name but a few. The man himself is wracked with nerves, but buzzing with excitement as he watches on from the bench.

Now, as we sit chatting at the Aon Training Complex about that game, he says he can still remember everything about the experience, and recalls with delight the day he made his first Premier League start, some months later against Swansea City in November 2012, and became the youngest player at the time to begin a top-flight match.

“I couldn’t believe it!” he beams, when he thinks back to being named on the bench to face City, following Southampton’s promotion back to the highest level. “A few weeks and months before, I’d been sat watching the Premier League on TV thinking I want to be playing in that one day. I remember I was on the bench a couple of times before I actually played and I was so nervous, even just being sat with the subs. The first game was City away and then I was on the bench again for the next home game [against Wigan] and the left-back at that time, Danny Fox, got injured in the first couple of minutes. I was so scared as I thought I’d be coming on! [Laughs] But I thought to myself ‘this is my chance.’

“It didn’t happen then but I remember we went away a couple of days before the Swansea game because, at the time, we weren’t getting too many good results and we needed something to change. I knew I was starting and I found it hard to sleep because I was so nervous and so excited at the same time. I didn’t tell anyone, not even my mum, until the day of the match as I think my family would have been just as nervous as me. It went really well though, it was a draw and I haven’t looked back since.”

He certainly hasn’t. Indeed, fast forward four years from that Manchester City match to the exact same day - 19 August - and Shaw is back in Manchester, making a welcome and successful return to Premier League action at Old Trafford this time, against his former club, following last season’s well-documented injury lay-off.

“I’m feeling fit and I’m just looking forward,” he declares. “My main aim this season is to stay fit, play as many games as possible and win trophies. With the squad we have and the manager we’ve got, we should be winning trophies this season. That’s our aim.”

Aiming high is always what Shaw has strived for. And while determination, talent and hard work are key, the 21-year-old cites enjoyment as a vital part of the attitude needed to succeed at a club like United.

“For me, coming up through the ranks, the main thing was to always make sure I enjoyed myself whenever I went out onto the pitch,” he says. “Every game I play, every training session I’m involved in and even every moment around the training ground, you just have to enjoy it because I'm one of the lucky few who get to do this. I can imagine there are a lot of people that wish they were in my position right now or anyone’s position in the changing room, so it’s important to just enjoy every minute of it.”

Shaw admits there were times as a teenager when reaching the highest level seemed like a distant dream, but he learnt the valuable lesson of grasping any opportunity that came his way.

“When I was about 15 I wasn’t getting in the team at Southampton and was often on the bench for the Under-16s. I remember getting a chance when one player got injured. It was the one chance I got and I took it and it promoted me into the starting XI and that continued to the first team. When I look back, the most important thing for me was to take my chance, and when I got it, thankfully I did.”

But how does Luke Shaw then, compare to Luke Shaw now? “When I was younger, I used to think I was slow! [Laughs] I can’t even remember if I was quick or not – but I think I’ve got quicker and stronger and built up more confidence over the years,” he declares. “I’m still the same lad I was when I was younger, nothing too much has changed - apart from on the pitch.”

That it has. In June 2014, he became the most expensive teenager in world football (his team-mate Anthony Martial took over that mantle last year when he arrived at United) after making the multi-million pound switch to Old Trafford. “When I first came I was like: ‘Wow, it is as big as everyone says’ and I’ve always said about going on tour and seeing the amount of fans we have across the world, it was so surprising and amazing. I’d never experienced tours like that.”

He describes joining United as “the biggest step up you can probably make” but it’s a club he feels completely at home with, and he’s part of a squad that, he believes, can achieve big things under Jose Mourinho.

“It’s a fresh start with the new manager, he has come in and set his tone and brought in so many good players that have benefited our squad. He’s won so many trophies at so many different clubs and he’s going to bring that success into our club, so hopefully we can win many trophies with him as our manager,” he adds. “Everyone is excited and training hard. We’re just focused on winning every game and, with the squad we have, I don’t see why we can’t. Everyone is together in the changing room which is very important for a club to be successful. There are no distances between the age groups with the young players sticking with each other or the older players just being with each other. Everyone gets on with each other.”

Mourinho himself echoed those sentiments after last week’s opening-day victory at Bournemouth and also revealed the impact Zlatan Ibrahimovic has had on Shaw and co. "The first thing I can tell you is that at his table for breakfast, and for meals, he is surrounded by the young ones, the kids. Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford, these are the guys who are with him at the table. He knows what he can be for them.”

Ask Shaw what kind of person the Swedish striker is and his face lights up. “He’s funny. He’s one of the nicest guys as well and he has a lot of stories that we like to hear; the way he tells them is so funny! [Laughs] We get on really well with him. It’s not like he’s just sat with the youngsters though, we all sit together and, honestly, listening to his stories is so good!”

Ibrahimovic has kicked off his United career with goals aplenty and finding the net is something that Shaw is on a mission to complete, with a first Reds goal still proving elusive - even if his near miss in Wayne Rooney's Testimonial against Everton suggests it may not be too far away.

“The goal is always on my mind whenever I play!” jokes the defender. Has he got a celebration ready or been working with Jesse Lingard on a ‘dab’ version? “No, I’ll stay away from Jesse with that celebration - he’s got his new friend [Paul Pogba] in to do that! I haven’t thought about any celebrations, I don’t know what I’ll do in that moment – I’ll probably jump into the crowd but we’ll see.”

For now, Shaw is focused on helping the Reds jump ahead in the league table, and two wins from two, with five goals scored, hasn’t been a bad way to kick things off.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...is-journey-from-the-saints-to-the-devils.aspx

//

The best full-back in the league at the moment?

ThanksBoss26

The best full-back in the league at the moment?
Nice interview. He's certainly heading that way if he isn't already.

Superb prospect. Hopefully he can stay fit for the season as that'll do him the world of good.

I expect we'll try and get him signed up on a new long-term contract this season too.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
He's really fecking good and has come a long way from his first season with us.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You can tell he worked very hard to get back. Getting up and down the pitch like he was never away.
Zlatan's stories.:lol:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Nice interview. He's certainly heading that way if he isn't already.

Superb prospect. Hopefully he can stay fit for the season as that'll do him the world of good.

I expect we'll try and get him signed up on a new long-term contract this season too.
Well said. I consider only Azpilicueta & Bellerin to be on the same-ish level with Shaw.

Walters_19_MuFc

Him and Valencia are perfect full backs for the way we play.

The way Shaw has come back after such a bad injury and got back into the swing of things is amazing. Fair play to him.

SirAF

Ageist
Him and Valencia are perfect full backs for the way we play.

The way Shaw has come back after such a bad injury and got back into the swing of things is amazing. Fair play to him.
Best LB in the league. I've been championing him since he signed for us :drool: Instantly became one of my favorites.

friend

I had my doubts as to how quickly he would be back to his full fitness pace wise after making a return but it seems like he has fully recovered in that sense which is great to see. His attacking play boosts us immensely in our play.

Last season in the early stages, we seemed to have 3 players who couldn't be beaten one on one (Shaw, Smalling, Darmian) so while Darmian has certainly not carried on his early form, lets hope Shaw gets back to that level in terms of defending as well. He hasn't really been tested in the league so far but I thought he did alright against Mahrez so early signs are positive.

pseudo_canadian

I had my doubts as to how quickly he would be back to his full fitness pace wise after making a return but it seems like he has fully recovered in that sense which is great to see. His attacking play boosts us immensely in our play.

Last season in the early stages, we seemed to have 3 players who couldn't be beaten one on one (Shaw, Smalling, Darmian) so while Darmian has certainly not carried on his early form, lets hope Shaw gets back to that level in terms of defending as well. He hasn't really been tested in the league so far but I thought he did alright against Mahrez so early signs are positive.
Well bone breaks have nothing to do with diminishing pace, it's more of a mental thing of running and taking tackles.

If he had torn a tendon in his leg, then yes, it could have effected his pace.

Regardless, happy to have Luke back to his best!

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Had him as my MOTM, final ball could improve but he locked down his side today. Once that final ball does improve (and it will) he'll be de-facto best LB in the world.

The United

Not sure with him sitting right at their edge of their box for last 20 mins instead of making runs inside the box what he does best though.

It was a bit weird to see. We could have used his width and running inside the area from the wide more I felt.

MDFC Manager

Very good game, looks close to full fitness too. Top pass to release Rooney at the end for the goal too.

Raw

Needs to sort his crossing out, am I right in saying that he's never registered an assist?

Still, he nailed down that left side. He was practically everywhere, even becoming a left sided midfielder at times.

Sam M

He's very good in a very straightforward way. Has the composure and the footballing smarts that are rarities for players his age. Ever since his debut vs Everton it was ridiculously clear how talented this guy is.

Mike09

Overall our back four were so good today, difficult to pick so I will give it to Shaw for that fantastic defending on first half to stop Snodgrass. Great decision and awareness from him.

Ban

Nice game by him. Anyone noticed in 2nd half he was a lot more closer to the box and not by the byline.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Saying this without a doubt in my mind: Had he not been injured last year, we'd be in the Champions' League. Comfortably so.

Devil may care

My MOTM, faultless with his defensive duties which can be tricky in a game where we have little defending to do, and provided constant pressure on Hull's back 4, his control in tight spaces and passing is excellent.

rampo

Not sure with him sitting right at their edge of their box for last 20 mins instead of making runs inside the box what he does best though.

It was a bit weird to see. We could have used his width and running inside the area from the wide more I felt.
I thought he did well. Given that whoever was that left side winger was never on the wings and was constantly cutting into central positions. I thought Shaw did well to provide that bit of width and keep a couple of Hull players occupied

Ace of Spades

He is great, and very solid defensively. Just needs to improve his attacking game and he can be the best LB in the world.

The United

I thought he did well. Given that whoever was that left side winger was never on the wings and was constantly cutting into central positions. I thought Shaw did well to provide that bit of width and keep a couple of Hull players occupied
I was not saying he didn't play well. He did.

I was saying his positioning by instruction (probably) in last 20 was a bit odd coz it didn't use his strength much.

Status
Not open for further replies.