g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woziak

The so called Christmas tree formation or 4321 really suits his game because Matic or as in yesterdays game, Feillani step into the back 3 And the 2 Cbs Split allowing the wing backs to push up higher. Sanchez and Lingard are used as roaming inverted No 10s so they do not occupy the space that an attacking Wing Back like Shaw would operate in.

Luke has been given another chance and so far he's been exceptional, yes he makes the odd mistake in defensive shape but what he gives the team in offensive width and balance is 100% an upgrade on the last 2 years.

Let's just all hope now that the kid stays injury free and gets the backing of Jose to be the clubs Premier League and CL first choice left back option!

The so called Christmas tree formation or 4321 really suits his game because Matic or as in yesterdays game, Feillani step into the back 3 And the 2 Cbs Split allowing the wing backs to push up higher. Sanchez and Lingard are used as roaming inverted No 10s so they do not occupy the space that an attacking Wing Back like Shaw would operate in.

Luke has been given another chance and so far he's been exceptional, yes he makes the odd mistake in defensive shape but what he gives the team in offensive width and balance is 100% an upgrade on the last 2 years.

Let's just all hope now that the kid stays injury free and gets the backing of Jose to be the clubs Premier League and CL first choice left back option!
It helps having Valencia on the right as all 5/6 of them across the back line stay disciplined. People underestimate how much of a difference it makes if your teammates aren't doing what they're supposed to.

The next thing i'd love to see Luke do is start going around the outside a bit more. He hasn't really tried to beat his man and put crosses in all that much.

Woziak

It helps having Valencia on the right as all 5/6 of them across the back line stay disciplined. People underestimate how much of a difference it makes if your teammates aren't doing what they're supposed to.

The next thing i'd love to see Luke do is start going around the outside a bit more. He hasn't really tried to beat his man and put crosses in all that much.
Yeah, he can definitely do that though. My younger brother was at Saints youth team but had to quit through tendenitis on the knee, he played with Wayne Bridge and coached some of the youth down there, so he has a big insight into their accademy and says that he was so good they thought he would surpass Bale when he was 16 to 17.

Apparently Shaw's always had a weight problem and Poch recognised this straight away, so the club encouraged him to have his own dietician and fitness regime. I like the Kids fight and spirit, Jose has called him out and rather than sulk and bitch, he's respected the club and the coach and seems the first to defend a fellow player like he jumped in with Rashford yesterday or when people called Pogba out, Shaw was quick to tell the world he just won a WC winners medal and he's one of t he best MDF players in the world!!

Matt007a

Great to see Shaw getting a run in the team and really making the most of it. He has been treated badly, but there is no smoke without fire. If he really has got his head down now and sorted his attitude then we should get to see the potential we all saw 5 years ago at Southampton.

I certainly hope so anyway.

SER19

Do you seriously believe a player in Shaw's position would say any different?

Thats not to say that its not true. But the idea that Shaw would be saying his manager picks on him (which is similar to what his family member tweeted iirc) and risking his starting spot is ridiculous. If Shaw does happen to feel that way we'll probably only know after Mourinho is gone.
Nor does he have to come out and say good things. See martial pogba and many players at many clubs with no obligation to clarify speculation. Their relationship seems good from my peripheral point of view, player is performing. Lets get on with it.

In any case, to say hes been 'bullied' is truly typical of this era.

VanGaalEra

Remember feeling the same after the Everton game last season, just need Shaw to keep the hunger and desire to keep performing like this and also to avoid any little niggles.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully Dalot and Shaw solve us the full back positions without the need of additional signings. Will be great.
Well Dalot was just bought to solve the RB issue. He IS the additional signing!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Funny how quickly some people's opinion changes, from wanting him replaced in the summer.

Let's hope he stays fit and keeps his place in the team. Very positive signs so far.
It's good that they change their opinions, though. What would be worrying is if they continued to call him fat and rubbish despite him being the opposite of both.

I don't know how anyone could not rate him in the first place, though. His talent is so obvious and always has been.

Terminator

I don't know how anyone could not rate him in the first place, though. His talent is so obvious and always has been.
That is the most shocking part for me. His touch, control and passing has always been there for all to see but somehow the majority on this thread kept calling him fat and rubbish. Crazy how toxic this thread has been over the last 2 years. I'm glad he is starting to prove all the haters wrong. Still a long way to go despite the good start.

drdoityourself

Loved his performance. That's why I didn't understand all the fuss about Young after last season. He was always looking to cut back to his right, not only in crossing positions, and that has been one of the main contributing factors to our slow and predictable play up the field.

Shaw is more direct and he's a natural left back, knows the runs he has to make and how to link up to progress up the field.

Hope he stays injury free, he has finally earnt Jose's trust.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That is the most shocking part for me. His touch, control and passing has always been there for all to see but somehow the majority on this thread kept calling him fat and rubbish. Crazy how toxic this thread has been over the last 2 years. I'm glad he is starting to prove all the haters wrong. Still a long way to go despite the good start.
Yeah. Admittedly he had an underwhelming first season here, though he wasn't bad by any means. Aside from that, he was fantastic for Southampton as a teenager, was showing great signs in his 2nd season here before that injury, and has ranged from good to very good in every match under José bar one half against City where Navas had the beating of him, though in the 2nd half Shaw began reading him like a book.

It's just now Shaw's actually being given a run in the team to show what he can do now. Hopefully the same will happen with our most talented player in Martial. When he was getting a rare run in the team before signing Alexis, he was doing what Shaw is currently doing - showing how talented he really is.

I've liked José's approach these last two games so if he continues building towards this more progressive style, whilst giving our more talented players a run in their favoured position, I'd start to get optimistic again, which I haven't personally been under José since season 1.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So it seems our manager knows a lot more than Redcafe. Well done Shaw and Jose.
Huh? Many rated and obviously still do rate Shaw extremely highly and were bemused at the treatment he had received in recent seasons.

Red_toad

Nor does he have to come out and say good things. See martial pogba and many players at many clubs with no obligation to clarify speculation. Their relationship seems good from my peripheral point of view, player is performing. Lets get on with it.

In any case, to say hes been 'bullied' is truly typical of this era.
Gone are the days of bullying was about being threatened or physically attacked. Now being criticised for not doing you job is classed as unfair bullying.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You see I am giving Jose some credit here with this.

If he can do it more with other players, that's great for us and we would be saving tons of money instead of buying anyone that he points to only to throw them away a year later or so.

Great mangers are great because they do the best with what they have. It is time Jose shows that he is that at United. I don't give a dam about how successful he was with other teams in the past or will be with his future teams. His CV is good for getting hired at United and it stops there.
This is what I feel as well. Get this level of performance out of Martial, Pogba and Rashford...we will be laughing.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
It's good that they change their opinions, though. What would be worrying is if they continued to call him fat and rubbish despite him being the opposite of both.

Yes it's good that people change their minds. But it's only been 4 games. It's still a little early to say our LB problem is sorted for the next years. People display such recency bias when judging players ("short memories").

lysglimt

Scout
I may be wrong about a lot of things - but I have always believed a lot in Luke Shaw. And I was convinced 6 months ago - that if we let Shaw leave, he would appear as a superb leftback for whatever team that took him. Finally he looks the player he was when we signed him

Handré1990

I wanted us to sign a new LB this summer. I didn’t think he’d reach his potential here, looks promising so far, nothing set in stone though. If he keeps this up we’re set. This is the season for Shaw, end of the road, one way or another.

He has been one of the top 3 performers for us so far this season. I mean, who saw this coming?!:lol:

el3mel

Well Dalot was just bought to solve the RB issue. He IS the additional signing!
He's 19. You don't usually buy a player from this age to solve present issues but for the future. If he solves it now, all the better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's 19. You don't usually buy a player from this age to solve present issues but for the future. If he solves it now, all the better.
The manager doesn’t see any present issue at RB, so Dalot is the plan I would imagine.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That's a bit ungrateful if he leave for free. Four years of getting paid while injured and contributed almost zero, then just leave when a bit on good form.

ypsipeos

Shaw proves that 270 minutes are enough to change fans' opinion. He proved me wrong and I am happy for this. I hope he doesn't get injured and keeps this form. Sometimes, August and September are not enough. I still remember the day when we saw Anderson and Cleverley run the midfield in a very delicate style against Bolton. Cleverley got hurt. We never saw a performance like this (against Bolton) from him.
For the money we bought Shaw, he still has done nothing to prove he was worth it, while injuries never let him do anything else. I think the fact he is running out of contract has put some pressure on him and he is doing great. If he keeps this form then we ve got one of the best left backs in the world.

Last edited:

Robert

Always had faith in the lad. Hope he continues in this vein of form through the season!

MadMike

I don't want to get fooled by (another) false dawn so I'll wait to see if he's still a regular starter by midseason.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Player not pulling his (considerable) weight. Manager gives him a rocket. Player gets his finger out. Rock on. Tonight I'm going to party like it's 1982.

KennyBurner

I actually gave up on him during preseason but my god was I wrong. He is providing such an outlet on the wing that we haven’t seen since Patrice evra. Maybe his defensive duties aren’t up to par but that will get better with time and won’t even be missed if we always play on the front foot

This just goes to show that mourinho defensive style has been limiting so many players at the club and even he realizes that he has to switch up his philosophy. I’m just wondering for how long before we go back to being negative.

Mcking

Very good performances but just like Valencia, he can't wipe in a cross. Need to improve on that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I actually gave up on him during preseason but my god was I wrong. He is providing such an outlet on the wing that we haven’t seen since Patrice evra. Maybe his defensive duties aren’t up to par but that will get better with time and won’t even be missed if we always play on the front foot

This just goes to show that mourinho defensive style has been limiting so many players at the club and even he realizes that he has to switch up his philosophy. I’m just wondering for how long before we go back to being negative.
Please elaborate on how you have arrived at such a conclusion.

MetoTTT

No, let's see him do it consistently till May before we go handing out new contracts to someone who's done nothing the previous 4 years to deserve one
The player will be free agent at the end of the season. Let him go free while he may finally realize his potential and be the LB of quality we all expected?

If we do this, clubs will turn around him and he may be tempted by a new challenge. I always believed in him, I think he finally understood the attitude he had to become a very good player and last in time. That makes me say that he should be offered a new contract soon. He seems much more mature now.

KennyBurner

Please elaborate on how you have arrived at such a conclusion.
I didn't arrive to any conclusion if it is evident we have been a very defensive team under mourinho these past two seasons. We often don't press the opposition and would rather soak up pressure while playing on the counter. That stopped after the leicester game as we have started trying to play more in the oppositions box rather than ours.

ash_86

Shaw's touch has to be one of the best at United. If Lukaku had it , he'd be an elite striker. That's how good it is!!

Klean

Watching the replay from Sunday. As someone who wanted him shipped off in the summer, he has been very very good so far this year. I hope he can keep up the form because as a player who has been through so much adversity it would be nice to have him finally return to the form we saw when we purchased him.

Status
Not open for further replies.