Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He actually made a few small mistakes throughout the first half, but unlike shaw of old, he didn't shrivel into a cave with no confidence. He seemed to dig deep and remind himself to remain consistent, and that was remarkable to see. He really has matured.

Kostov

Shaw proves that 270 minutes are enough to change fans' opinion. He proved me wrong and I am happy for this. I hope he doesn't get injured and keeps this form. Sometimes, August and September are not enough. I still remember the day when we saw Anderson and Cleverley run the midfield in a very delicate style against Bolton. Cleverley got hurt. We never saw a performance like this (against Bolton) from him.
For the money we bought Shaw, he still has done nothing to prove he was worth it, while injuries never let him do anything else. I think the fact he is running out of contract has put some pressure on him and he is doing great. If he keeps this form then we ve got one of the best left backs in the world.
He was always rubbish. Just overrated by some United fans, any level headed and objective football watcher would have told you he was a very limited player. Ando on the other hand had different problems.
Shaw's talent has been evident from day one, let's hope he has his luck with injuries from now on.

ypsipeos

He was always rubbish. Just overrated by some United fans, any level headed and objective football watcher would have told you he was a very limited player. Ando on the other hand had different problems.
Shaw's talent has been evident from day one, let's hope he has his luck with injuries from now on.
Fletcher, Butt, Nevilles, O' Shaldo etc. All of them, limited players. They offered something to the club, didn't they?
On the other hand Nani and Jones came here as "unlimited" potential players. They are inconsistent. Shaw belong in this category till now.

I know Cleverley belongs in none of these categories, but you get the point ; a mediocre but comsistent player can offer more to the team than a technically gifted player who gets injured or/and has weak mentality.

Kostov

Fletcher, Butt, Nevilles, O' Shaldo etc. All of them, limited players. They offered something to the club, didn't they?
On the other hand Nani and Jones came here as "unlimited" potential players. They are inconsistent. Shaw belong in this category till now.

I know Cleverley belongs in none of these categories, but you get the point ; a mediocre but comsistent player can offer more to the team than a technically gifted player who gets injured or/and has weak mentality.
Fletcher, Butt, Nevilles and O'Shea were limited but yet more talented players than Cleverley. They did offer great service in positions where their lack of talent was compensated with work rate and passion for this club. Nani was a talented player playing in a position where consistence can let you down and he had a very good career even if he could have had a better one. Jones is just a guy who has missed too much football and constant injuries make him an unreliable player in a position where you need stability and understanding. Shaw does not belong in any of those categories.

He is a 23 year old LB who came here at the age 18, suffered a bad injury that set him off, came back under a new manager who has his own ways. Yeah ha has had issues with other managers, who are blown out of proportions, he is not the only young player who had problems growing up. This accusations of weak mentality are completely unfounded if you ask me, if anything the kid deserves credit for not pushing for a move in the summer. The run of games he has right now could have happened earlier, but it is what it is. I'm just glad he is still here and playing to a level many of us United fans believed he can.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The player will be free agent at the end of the season. Let him go free while he may finally realize his potential and be the LB of quality we all expected?

If we do this, clubs will turn around him and he may be tempted by a new challenge. I always believed in him, I think he finally understood the attitude he had to become a very good player and last in time. That makes me say that he should be offered a new contract soon. He seems much more mature now.
Plenty of players form pick up when they're playing for a contract, give it to him now and let me coast afterwards? Yeah that sounds like a good plan

All Shaw has done so far this season is replicate the 4 or 5 good games he had during LVG's second season, that's no where near enough to be given another contract. While he's been great this season he needs to prove it throughout the entire season and prove to the club that we dont need a new LB in the summer

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I didn't arrive to any conclusion if it is evident we have been a very defensive team under mourinho these past two seasons. We often don't press the opposition and would rather soak up pressure while playing on the counter. That stopped after the leicester game as we have started trying to play more in the oppositions box rather than ours.
How does that relate to Luke Shaw getting forward? The full-backs we played all last season had plenty licence to get forward, and both made attacking contributions to the best of their abilities. There was nothing restrictive from the manager, the only difference is that Shaw is better than what we had so is doing a better job of it.

United are not a defensive team, we have just been better at defending than we were at attacking for the most part under Jose. In his first season we drew about 10 games because we couldn’t break teams down or kill them off because their goalkeepers all became superhuman against us, and our forwards were very profligate.

KennyBurner

How does that relate to Luke Shaw getting forward? The full-backs we played all last season had plenty licence to get forward, and both made attacking contributions to the best of their abilities. There was nothing restrictive from the manager, the only difference is that Shaw is better than what we had so is doing a better job of it.

United are not a defensive team, we have just been better at defending than we were at attacking for the most part under Jose. In his first season we drew about 10 games because we couldn’t break teams down or kill them off because their goalkeepers all became superhuman against us, and our forwards were very profligate.
I never said United were a defensive team. It’s mourinho that is a defensive manager. His conservative philosophy translates back to our style of play. That has recently changed.Before this season Valencia was the only fullback who really ever got forward. Ashley young was never composed going forward often booting the ball under any slight form of pressure. If Luke Shaw was given more chances maybe we things would have been different. Also if you’ve noticed our midfielders are also bombing forward consistently which was never the case under mourinho last season. We are no longer playing conservatively against our opposition.

This is what I mean when I stated his change of style has improved our players. Our attackers are creating more chances , Sanchez for example. Sanchez has more options going forward like Luke Shaw or even matic who was in the box a lot. To cap things off he was restrictive of our midfielders getting forward consistently, wouldn’t you agree?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I never said United were a defensive team. It’s mourinho that is a defensive manager. His conservative philosophy translates back to our style of play. That has recently changed.Before this season Valencia was the only fullback who really ever got forward. Ashley young was never composed going forward often booting the ball under any slight form of pressure. If Luke Shaw was given more chances maybe we things would have been different. Also if you’ve noticed our midfielders are also bombing forward consistently which was never the case under mourinho last season. We are no longer playing conservatively against our opposition.

This is what I mean when I stated his change of style has improved our players. Our attackers are creating more chances , Sanchez for example. Sanchez has more options going forward like Luke Shaw or even matic who was in the box a lot. To cap things off he was restrictive of our midfielders getting forward consistently, wouldn’t you agree?
Luke Shaw actually said after the Leicester game that one of Mourinho's gripes with him was that he wasn't going forward more. You can make the argument that Mourinho could have done more to give Shaw the confidence to do this (I disagree but its a question of perspective). However, its just not true that Mourinho restricted his full backs from going forward. Shaw is on the record saying that Mou wanted him to do more for the attack.

The way people talk about Mourinho just shows the power of narrative. You could easily forget Mou managed Ashley Cole, Javier Zanetti, Marcelo if you accept the prevailing wisdom about the guy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I agree that we are playing better, but that is because we are playing better. Ashley Young could never be accused of being a defensive full-back last season. He got forward plenty, just not without his own limitations as a footballer. This is why we all wanted a new LB in the summer, as opposed to just wanting Jose to tell Young to go forward more. I doubt anyone put more crosses in than Young for us last season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
So happy for him. Reminds me of the start to the 2015/16 season - lets hope he continues this throughout the season.

Canagel

Luke Shaw actually said after the Leicester game that one of Mourinho's gripes with him was that he wasn't going forward more. You can make the argument that Mourinho could have done more to give Shaw the confidence to do this (I disagree but its a question of perspective). However, its just not true that Mourinho restricted his full backs from going forward. Shaw is on the record saying that Mou wanted him to do more for the attack.

The way people talk about Mourinho just shows the power of narrative. You could easily forget Mou managed Ashley Cole, Javier Zanetti, Marcelo if you accept the prevailing wisdom about the guy.
That's for this season though. During a game vs West Ham last season near the end of the season Shaw went forward and had a shot but got berated on the touchline by Mourinho because he went too far forward. Even last season Shaw when he played didn't do much wrong but when he played he played with a element of risk and that's why Young was preferred. If we wanted to attack better Shaw would've been first choice. Somewhere along the line we've decided to stop playing so conservatively as a team and so Young isn't needed as much. It's all about how we want to play and choosing the players that fit the style.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That's for this season though. During a game vs West Ham last season near the end of the season Shaw went forward and had a shot but got berated on the touchline by Mourinho because he went too far forward. Even last season Shaw when he played didn't do much wrong but when he played he played with a element of risk and that's why Young was preferred. If we wanted to attack better Shaw would've been first choice. Somewhere along the line we've decided to stop playing so conservatively as a team and so Young isn't needed as much. It's all about how we want to play and choosing the players that fit the style.
One swallow doesn't make a summer. Just because Shaw didn't get back into position quickly enough it doesn't mean Jose didn't want him going forward at all. Shaw didn't say it was season specific and Young got forward plenty last season, Mourinho relied on his crossing for much of the service from wide to Lukaku.

Shaw's struggles are as much to do with him as with anything else. Something he has admitted by recently employing a nutritionist and knuckling down more.

Shaw's been very good lately but when Jose started as manager he was first choice until Watford (a) 2016-17. He lost that position and his failure to regain it over a converted winger was not because Jose wanted more defensive cover. It was because Young was doing the things Shaw, sadly, wasn't.

Johan07

I can absolutely see Jose having a go at Shaw both for going too far forward in one situation and not doing so in another. Mourinho demands big awareness and adaptation to the other players positions on the field. The other players current positions is what governs what you can and cant do and that doesnt just apply to Shaw or the FBs.
I think its this previous lack of tactical awareness thats been Mourinhos issue with Shaw, not how we want to play.

Ekeke

Shaw proves that 270 minutes are enough to change fans' opinion. He proved me wrong and I am happy for this. I hope he doesn't get injured and keeps this form. Sometimes, August and September are not enough. I still remember the day when we saw Anderson and Cleverley run the midfield in a very delicate style against Bolton. Cleverley got hurt. We never saw a performance like this (against Bolton) from him.
For the money we bought Shaw, he still has done nothing to prove he was worth it, while injuries never let him do anything else. I think the fact he is running out of contract has put some pressure on him and he is doing great. If he keeps this form then we ve got one of the best left backs in the world.
They also got pooped on by Fellaini taking long balls down on his chest, showing neither had the know how or ability to sense danger and help out the defense.

Robbie Boy

I love the way some on here are claiming that 'everyone' wrote him off and are laughing at all the praise. I, for one, never wrote him off and maintained that he's a very talented young player that just needs to sort his head out.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Delighted for him, always had high hopes for him but there have been times where my confidence in him has been really tested.

What really impresses me now is his touch and passing, I've always found him to be a bit limited in that regard but now he looks absolutely magnificent, he just doesn't lose the ball, he always finds a way. Granted, still just 4 games into the season.

His stamina level also seems just fine.

But his top speed and acceleration, while looking perfectly fine now, was better before. It was Bale-esque, just ridiculous when he got going on the left flank, like he was shot out of a cannon. Especially the acceleration was impressive, I guess that's because of his bag arse being loaded with muscles, no gay. He's not quite there yet, and he might never get there again. We'll see, I suppose.

ypsipeos

They also got pooped on by Fellaini taking long balls down on his chest, showing neither had the know how or ability to sense danger and help out the defense.
Anderson was one of the best man markers in the world. Fabregas knows. Tactical sense was not there, but for special roles he was more than OK.

KennyBurner

I agree that we are playing better, but that is because we are playing better. Ashley Young could never be accused of being a defensive full-back last season. He got forward plenty, just not without his own limitations as a footballer. This is why we all wanted a new LB in the summer, as opposed to just wanting Jose to tell Young to go forward more. I doubt anyone put more crosses in than Young for us last season.
You agree we are playing better because we are playing better and not a change of tactics? Really? I guess we will just have to ageee to disagree. I think we are playing better because we are offering more support from midfield especially with them pushing up further consistently. I’ll leave it at that.

@#07 Narrative? Let’s relax here. Im just given an opinion on what I see on the pitch regardless of what mourinho might have told Shaw behind closed doors. I have no agenda of any sort against mourinho. I simply say it how I see it, mourinho is a very defensive/conservative manager. He would rather instruct his players to boot it in the air instead of playing under pressure. Ashley young and de gea to name a few are major culprits.

In defense of him though he has bought players (lindelof, Fred, matic to name a few) who should be more composed but that hasn’t translated to the pitch quick enough. His transition is taking too long after the amount of money spent while other managers are doing it with their players for much less.

This is a Luke Shaw thread so I’m going to draw the line here. There is no narrative or agenda against mourinho but simple facts. He is defensive minded and that’s it. I’ve seen a change since the Leicester game for the positive and hope it continues.

Ekeke

Indeed. He had Fabregas in his pocket once and I remember another game where he did the same to Gerrard, but it's a crazy statement to make over a couple of games.
Firstly he didnt man mark them, so claiming he's good at man marking people is silly. He won a header or two against Fabregas and Fabregas was quite quiet. He had an off game and some people were quick to use it to hype up our new young midfielder. He did his part but he didnt man mark him.

Davs

The biggest thing that Luke Shaw has done for us this season that has probably been overlooked is his overlapping runs. We all know how frustrating it is when we have Ashley Young cutting back in on his right foot the second he gets in to an attacking position and not taking the man on or making a forward run. Don't get me wrong, Young does a job for us at LB but he's not perfectly suited to it, he's a failed winger.

By Shaw bombing on and being willing to take the man on it gives us so much more width and makes the play so much easier for our Forward men who don't have to wait on Young checking his run so he can cross on his favoured side.

JK-27

He really comes across well in interviews, seems really genuine and doesn't dance around topics.
I thought he came across as very nervous and says 'Yeah-nah' a lot. I'd love to know what a 'psycholologist' does as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.