Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Shaw is our best player. Change my mind.
Shaw has always been our most naturally talented player, in context of comparing players to others in their position. He's spent years basically being our main playmaker, and other than a tendency to stand off a bit too much and let his man get crosses in around him, he doesn't really have any weakness. In fact everything is basically a strength. Fast, ridiculously strong, one of the best first touches around, great vision and the passing ability to make use of it, good in the air, and over the last couple of years he's developed that final ball into the box which he never had earlier in his career.

The United

His injuries don't let him use his full speed all the time and LB position requires it. So while he is a good LB, he would have a better career as a CB long-term. Plus playing CB can probably solve his concentration issues.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Shaw has always been our most naturally talented player, in context of comparing players to others in their position. He's spent years basically being our main playmaker, and other than a tendency to stand off a bit too much and let his man get crosses in around him, he doesn't really have any weakness. In fact everything is basically a strength. Fast, ridiculously strong, one of the best first touches around, great vision and the passing ability to make use of it, good in the air, and over the last couple of years he's developed that final ball into the box which he never had earlier in his career.
Only flaw with him is his tendency to take a run of games to get back to match fit.

Castia

Can't believe what im seeing

A LB keeping Maguire, Martinez and Lindelof out of the side. He's been brilliant.

Andersons Dietician

I’m surprised many people find this a revelation that he is good at CB.

Listening to pundits on it recently as well, they go on about targeting Shaw and bullying him, Bullying Shaw?! The man is a unit, they always go on about Adama Traore, yet Shaw has handled him and matched him for pace and strength many a time. Seen Shaw match Walker stride for stride and they always go on about him. He’s also got a leap and is good in the air. He has a brilliant first touch, can beat a man, cool under preasure and can pick a pass. It isn’t that big of a surprise to me he is putting in performances like this.

He pocketed the Nordic Yeti today with a very understated performance. Did all the small things right preventing the Yeti form ever really posing a threat.

flappyjay

Listening to pundits on it recently as well, they go on about targeting Shaw and bullying him, Bullying Shaw?! The man is a unit, they always go on about Adama Traore, yet Shaw has handled him and matched him for pace and strength many a time. Seen Shaw match Walker stride for stride and they always go on about him. He’s also got a leap and is good in the air. He has a brilliant first touch, can beat a man, cool under preasure and can pick a pass. It isn’t that big of a surprise to me he is putting in performances like this.

He pocketed the Nordic Yeti today with a very understated performance. Did all the small things right preventing the Yeti form ever really posing a threat.
Shaw is 5'11 and storky, I don't know why these pundits go on about possible bullying. Worst still right after Martinez proved that a small CB can play in the pl.

flappyjay

He plays like a pep full back. At our best in Ole's tenure he did well play making but got flak on this forum for no spamming crosses.

mu4c_20le

I'm sure he was one of the many players a large portion of fans wanted rid. Like with Rashford, they are truly shutting up the previous doubters!
I remember at one point, the statement "An in form Shaw is the best LB in the league" was met with smilies.

Laurencio

I have to say. Shaw is probably the best centreback we have :lol:

He's absolutely brilliant in that role. His tackles are crisp, he moves well, is determined in his challenges and his technique enables him to control the ball after tackles in a way that is mesmerizing. His passes are also very good, making him arguably our best ball playing defender. With Varane, Shaw and Martinez we have three exceptional centrebacks - and I never thought I'd say that about Shaw.

OmarUnited4ever

Feck this guy!! How can he be this good??!!

If he keeps this up for the reminder of the season, then that will cement him as a WC player, elite LB/CB.

Gordon S

Said it before, we have played him out of position for a long time.
Licha might have to adapt to a new position to get game time now:lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Why are you surprised? Even so many of his former managers in 8 years never thought so. And they watched him in training almost every day.

Welbeckham

I seriously think that at his best he’s one of the best players in the world. His combination of physical and technical talent is absolutely outrageous. And he has actually developed some football brain as he’s grown older.

I mean, he’s as strong and fast as anyone and yet he hardly ever miscontrols a ball. Fitness and concentration have always been his biggest issues.

Mickson

How tall is he, someone here who has met him? Wikipedia says one thing, Transfermarkt another and it's quite a big difference in those numbers.

Bojan Djordjic

As good as he's been at CB, I think it would be wasteful to play him there unless there's a specific tactical need (think even EtH didn't want to risk Licha up against Haaland's height). Shaw's a progression monster at left back and in most matches it suits us to have an even better passer like Licha in the defensive line without losing much defensive security if at all. I expect we might see Shaw in against the likes of Brentford again but hope that in the majority of our games we have the two guys playing their usual roles.

Rossa

I mean, come on. How much can we re-write history here? He’s been completely done for pace against Adama more than once. On one occation Adama threw both Shaw and Matic off like they were minor distractions in a physical duel. He has never matched Walker for pace. He was laughably outpaced earlier this season. A 35 year old Aaron Lennon breezed past him last season. Jesus Navas made mince meat out of him repeatedly whilst he couldn’t get a sniff from Antonio Valencia.

Shaw has been absolutely brilliant of late, bit let’s not re-write history here.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I recall fondly how sure Glastonspur was that Danny Rose was better.

atkar83

I have to say. Shaw is probably the best centreback we have :lol:

He's absolutely brilliant in that role. His tackles are crisp, he moves well, is determined in his challenges and his technique enables him to control the ball after tackles in a way that is mesmerizing. His passes are also very good, making him arguably our best ball playing defender. With Varane, Shaw and Martinez we have three exceptional centrebacks - and I never thought I'd say that about Shaw.
Shaw at centerback for Ragnick probably leads to disaster. Confidence and belief is so huge and EtH has festered so much of it in this squad. I love it. AWB was a shell of a player with zero confidence, now he was almost toying around with his slide tackles. There are probably other players we've written off that could completely change our opinions of them.

Shaw has been given the belief. Having pros like Varane, Casemiro and Licha around him helps

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I’m not surprised at all that Shaw is a great at CB, he’s such a classy, well-rounded player. But I definitely miss his playmaking from LB.

Andersons Dietician

I mean, come on. How much can we re-write history here? He’s been completely done for pace against Adama more than once. On one occation Adama threw both Shaw and Matic off like they were minor distractions in a physical duel. He has never matched Walker for pace. He was laughably outpaced earlier this season. A 35 year old Aaron Lennon breezed past him last season. Jesus Navas made mince meat out of him repeatedly whilst he couldn’t get a sniff from Antonio Valencia.

Shaw has been absolutely brilliant of late, bit let’s not re-write history here.
You sure you’re not thinking of Brandon Williams? I’m sure there is certainly occasions when Traore went by him but when they’ve been in straight sprints body to body Shaw has more often than not come out on top. Shaw has also sent Traore flying.

And yes he has matched Walker for pace, Walker was played through by Bernardo and Rashford had let him go and Shaw came across to match Walkers run and not only kept pace but got his body infront and ushered the ball out for a corner.

The point still remains that Shaw is a physical weapon. Strong, fast, good balance and that has always been there so are we re-writing history? I think not.

Rossa

You sure you’re not thinking of Brandon Williams? I’m sure there is certainly occasions when Traore went by him but when they’ve been in straight sprints body to body Shaw has more often than not come out on top. Shaw has also sent Traore flying.

And yes he has matched Walker for pace, Walker was played through by Bernardo and Rashford had let him go and Shaw came across to match Walkers run and not only kept pace but got his body infront and ushered the ball out for a corner.

The point still remains that Shaw is a physical weapon. Strong, fast, good balance and that has always been there so are we re-writing history? I think not.
No, both Matic and Shaw simulatenously went in on Traore and he sent both flying. He’s also accelerated past Shaw numerous times. Shaw has great top speed but isn’t amongst the quickest in terms of acceleration. He’s not even our fastest defender. I think Varane would be…

Do you honestly think Shaw has the speed of Walker? Good top speed for sure, but not elite like Walker.

He lost a straight foot race with a head start against Villa I believe, resulting in a goal, and that player was fast but not Walker fast.

Yes, Shaw is great physically. Very strong, fast, good leap, but please, let’s not write a narrative far removed from the truth. He often fails to stop crosses because he struggles on the first five-ten yards, and his positioning as a fullback can be suspect - not so as a centre back, thus far. He’s been brilliant.

Sounds like I’m bashing Shaw here, but I really like him. When fit he’s amongst the best fullbacks in the league. His first touch is sublime, and he’s brilliant moving the play up the pitch. His lokg range passing has also suprised me of late - really good! His final ball is not quite there, and defensively he can be a little suspect, yet far better than many other modern fullbacks.

GJNJ

Is it true that Shaw originally "volunteered" (word used in Guardian article) to play at CB when no one was available? Did he play there as a youngster?
Yes ten Hag said that he told him he could play there when Maguire was out ill. I don’t think he did as a youngster but has occasionally as a back 3.

Ole'sattheWheel

I wonder if ten Hag knew Shaw was capable of this ball-progressing, wide left CB role he'd have gone and bought Martinez?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Shaw is simply better at football than both Maguire and Lindelof. EtH also prefers balance and being left-footed it's between Martinez and Shaw for the position of left centre-back. Wouldn't be surprised if both Maguire and Lindelof are sold and another centre-back comes in the summer as a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.