Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
There's a lot of other factors like Rashford playing against weaker opposition or playing in the Striker position against poor teams.
You think Mourinho uses Rashford more against weaker teams. What a nonsense.

Also, he plays so rarely as a striker, and even when he does, he scores very rarely there.

As for rest of the post, you are talking nonsense, you obviously don't like him at all since you are mentioning that he is not even fast, that's ridiculous.

Johan07

Rashford is the latest in the "wasted on the wing" nonsense that is prevalent in British football. It was the same with Rooney or any other promising forward who is shunned to the wasteland that is the flank of the pitch.

The number 9 role is too pivotal in modern football to play such an inexperienced and inconsistent player in that position. I also disagree that playing Rashford right up against the defence is his best position. He thrives in space with his speed and will get more of that by starting in a wide position.

The insinuation that his finishing suffers by playing wide is nonsense. Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Salah, Mane, Hazard all manage(d) to score plenty from a wide position. In modern football, wide players in a front 3 are forwards and often can have more goal scoring responsibility than the number 9. If they can't get into goal scoring positions when playing wide in a front 3 it shows poor positional play.

The biggest obstacle to English players being prolific from wide areas is the stigma that playing wide seems to have in England and the fact the players would rather listen to the media drone on about how the coach is ruining them by playing out of position rather than learning and improving in the role.
Excellent post.

Dante

Average bang
Rashford found himself on the end of those chances. Kane didn't.

The ironic thing is that if Marcus had hidden during the match, he'd be getting less criticism. He deserves credit for having the intelligence and athleticism to get into those positions.

sam147

You think Mourinho uses Rashford more against weaker teams. What a nonsense.

Also, he plays so rarely as a striker, and even when he does, he scores very rarely there.

As for rest of the post, you are talking nonsense, you obviously don't like him at all since you are mentioning that he is not even fast, that's ridiculous.
I didnt say he is not fast. I said he is a straight line sprinter. He is not fast with the ball at his feet. Can you comprehend the fact footballers are required to run with the ball at their feet? Neymar, Ousmane Dembele and even Mane are good examples of fast players with the ball at their feet. If stating facts means I dont like him then sure. He gets away with stick for performances because he is English and from Manchester. Even Lukaku got away with a lot earlier on until recently while Pogba and Mourinho take all criticism.

edgar allan

Rashford found himself on the end of those chances. Kane didn't.

The ironic thing is that if Marcus had hidden during the match, he'd be getting less criticism. He deserves credit for having the intelligence and athleticism to get into those positions.
Have to agree, while the jury is out as to whether he will make a top class finisher he certainly knows how to get himself in the right positions.

He was very close with his chances against Newcastle and on another day he would have been the hero. The main chance he missed for England was very poor though.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I didnt say he is not fast. I said he is a straight line sprinter. He is not fast with the ball at his feet. Can you comprehend the fact footballers are required to run with the ball at their feet? Neymar, Ousmane Dembele and even Mane are good examples of fast players with the ball at their feet. If stating facts means I dont like him then sure. He gets away with stick for performances because he is English and from Manchester. Even Lukaku got away with a lot earlier on until recently while Pogba and Mourinho take all criticism.
He generally plays OK for England, and Lukaku and Pogba play 3 times more than him(literally) for United, so of course they will take more criticism than him. He is also much younger than them. They are also paid probably three times more than him. But keep on bringing silly arguments against him.

van Nistelrooy

So can Rashford, you've voided your own point.

That was a goalkeeper clanger in fairness.

Not voided my point at all. We've just shown that both players can do similar things. So how does that make Rashford better? It doesn't.

Handré1990

His chances vs Croatia
Both those chances should be goals 10/10 from any professional, never mind a so called striker. Absolutely terrible. The first one he didn’t even seem to try. It’s so frustrating to see, because there clearly is a very good player in there.

Greck

Don't know why people feel insulted when a loan is brought up. Would honestly be happy to let all of our promising youngsters go on loan till Jose leaves. I feel like we're wasting some of their precious development years in a team with no real continuity in playstyle, player role or game time. It's not just about appearance figures. Rashford may never be world class but he can be moulded to be a key system player in a functional attacking system like Pedro was for Barca.

Handré1990

Don't know why people feel insulted when a loan is brought up. Would honestly be happy to let all of our promising youngsters go on loan till Jose leaves. I feel like we're wasting some of their precious development years in a team with no real continuity in playstyle, player role or game time. It's not just about appearance figures. Rashford may never be world class but he can be moulded to be an important system player in a functional attacking system like Pedro was for Barca.
Agree with this. Someone mentioned Mané earlier in this thread, which I thought was pretty apt. Extreme gifts wrt physique, he does have some skills as well, and for me a better instinctive finisher than anything like a proper striker. Could be good for 15-20 goals and assists per season if developed and deployed correctly.

Tapori

20 year old in missing chances shocker.
Lad is now getting into those top positions. His dedication will ensure he develops that killer instinct. Well done Gareth for backing him.
If he's still routinely missing chances at 24-25 then yeah, fair enough, rip him.
In b4 " next welbeck"

Handré1990

20 year old in missing chances shocker.
Lad is now getting into those top positions. His dedication will ensure he develops that killer instinct. Well done Gareth for backing him.
If he's still routinely missing chances at 24-25 then yeah, fair enough, rip him.
In b4 " next welbeck"
Good god, man! You want to give him four more years of this?

Handré1990

You're assuming that within those 4 years he stays EXACTLY as he is. Which is incredibly short-sighted.
No, that was what I gathered from your post. There is logic in giving youngsters time, IF there is a natural progression, but to say about a man with 100 games for us at 20 that if he misses the same amount in 3-4 years, then he can go. Well, that just beggars belief.

There has to be a middle ground. Like, I don’t want him axed today or even next season. The one after, who knows? He has to much natural ability not to kick on imo. If he doesn’t, goodbye sweet prince.

sam147

He generally plays OK for England, and Lukaku and Pogba play 3 times more than him(literally) for United, so of course they will take more criticism than him. He is also much younger than them. They are also paid probably three times more than him. But keep on bringing silly arguments against him.
He shouldnt be in the first team. Its that simple. If you watched the youth team you'd know he wasnt known as a good finisher. You develop your finishing and basics in the academy. He came straight through and is nowhere near good enough. Is he a good dribbler? Finisher? Crosser? No. He hardly crosses because he is selfish as he is made out to be a goldenboy and even took the 10! What a joke. Even when Lukaku gets fed up goes to the wing and puts a cross in Rashford still fluffs it. He will have one more season to prove himself. If he isnt good enough I can see him being loaned to Everton.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He shouldnt be in the first team. Its that simple. If you watched the youth team you'd know he wasnt known as a good finisher. You develop your finishing and basics in the academy. He came straight through and is nowhere near good enough. Is he a good dribbler? Finisher? Crosser? No. He hardly crosses because he is selfish as he is made out to be a goldenboy and even took the 10! What a joke. Even when Lukaku gets fed up goes to the wing and puts a cross in Rashford still fluffs it. He will have one more season to prove himself. If he isnt good enough I can see him being loaned to Everton.
I watched the academy and McGuinness put him up front to develop his finishing ability, that is true. But he then outperformed everyone's expectations in the new position and made it his own. Not sure how that fits with your argument really but there you go.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Both those chances should be goals 10/10 from any professional, never mind a so called striker. Absolutely terrible. The first one he didn’t even seem to try. It’s so frustrating to see, because there clearly is a very good player in there.
Or the very least he has to make the keeper feel like he pulled off a miracle. The first one is a joke, he tries to act like a player who is too cool to smash it properly.

Rashford is the latest in the "wasted on the wing" nonsense that is prevalent in British football. It was the same with Rooney or any other promising forward who is shunned to the wasteland that is the flank of the pitch.

The number 9 role is too pivotal in modern football to play such an inexperienced and inconsistent player in that position. I also disagree that playing Rashford right up against the defence is his best position. He thrives in space with his speed and will get more of that by starting in a wide position.

The insinuation that his finishing suffers by playing wide is nonsense. Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Salah, Mane, Hazard all manage(d) to score plenty from a wide position. In modern football, wide players in a front 3 are forwards and often can have more goal scoring responsibility than the number 9. If they can't get into goal scoring positions when playing wide in a front 3 it shows poor positional play.

The biggest obstacle to English players being prolific from wide areas is the stigma that playing wide seems to have in England and the fact the players would rather listen to the media drone on about how the coach is ruining them by playing out of position rather than learning and improving in the role.
Great post. There are many more examples of wide players you could have included too tbh. Playing wide is better for youngsters to develop, central striker is just too hard

sam147

I watched the academy and McGuinness put him up front to develop his finishing ability, that is true. But he then outperformed everyone's expectations in the new position and made it his own. Not sure how that fits with your argument really but there you go.
Yes he was played up top to develop finishing but for how long? Until injuries forced LVG to play him up top. He never finished developing the basics. He came in and scored a few goals but it was never going to last. At U21 he wasnt very highly rated. He hardly got a game for England at u21 u18. The way he is playing he will be a midtable player at best imo. But if he stops the ego and attitude on the pitch in always taking shots acting like its all about him and focuses then he might make it as a United player.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Or the very least he has to make the keeper feel like he pulled off a miracle. The first one is a joke, he tries to act like a player who is too cool to smash it properly.

Great post. There are many more examples of wide players you could have included too tbh. Playing wide is better for youngsters to develop, central striker is just too hard
Its not too hard and its one of the reasons in todays football we have a lack of top strikers in the game compared to the past. Change of formations as well, but its as if we are too scared to develop strikers these days.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Its not too hard and its one of the reasons in todays football we have a lack of top strikers in the game compared to the past. Change of formations as well, but its as if we are too scared to develop strikers these days.
Too hard for a kid I meant. Rashford cannot reasonnably be expected to lead the line at his age at Man Utd

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yes he was played up top to develop finishing but for how long? Until injuries forced LVG to play him up top. He never finished developing the basics. He came in and scored a few goals but it was never going to last. At U21 he wasnt very highly rated. He hardly got a game for England at u21 u18. The way he is playing he will be a midtable player at best imo. But if he stops the ego and attitude on the pitch in always taking shots acting like its all about him and focuses then he might make it as a United player.
What do you mean, never rated at England U21 level? Didn't he jump straight into England's first team at the age of 18 or something? When would he have had the opportunity to be rated at U21 level? And as if whether England rate you or not is a good barometer of talent anyway! :lol:

Danny Welbeck is rated by Southgate, Michael Carrick hardly got a chance. Tell me who was the better player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Too hard for a kid I meant. Rashford cannot reasonnably be expected to lead the line at his age at Man Utd
I think he can for some games, in fact he already has

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Lukaku generally goes wide when he is shit up front, and not Rashford or someone else. If he is any good wide I am sure Jose would try him there more often, and not just as an element of surprise during some games when he can't hold up a ball once in 20 minutes as a striker.

Who should be in the first team ahead of Rashford?

SATA

He doesn't seem to enjoy his football anymore and he is only 20. Everything he does has been really hit and rush and done without much thought, compared to when LvG brought him up to the first team. It's weird that the composure and bits of footballing intelligence he had that time has disappear

ash_86

He doesn't seem to enjoy his football anymore and he is only 20. Everything he does has been really hit and rush and done without much thought, compared to when LvG brought him up to the first team. It's weird that the composure and bits of footballing intelligence he had that time has disappear
Happens to a lot of young footballers. When you are from the academy and get to start for the first team, you want to give 200% of everything and make a name for yourself. Then when you've made it , you start to reduce the effort a little knowing that you'll get your chance this match or next either way. Rashfords first season's form was not sustainable nor Martial's. There is nothing wrong with making the kind of mistakes he's making at his age.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Fantastic so far. He may have missed chances last game but it would be more frustrating to me if he was invisible for the match.

He’s doing well to seal his spot as starting striker next to Kane.

SAFMUTD

Great game so far, really good playing in open spaces. If we only manage to play fast attacking football he would be benefitted so much, his pace destroys defenders on open spaces.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Great game so far, really good playing in open spaces. If we only manage to play fast attacking football he would be benefitted so much, his pace destroys defenders on open spaces.
We've said this about so many players in our team now it's a tragedy we haven't tried it yet.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
To be honest I am really surprised at the undeserved criticism Rashford gets from his own supporters. He is one of our own....

Yes there are times when he doesn't finish as well as we would like but his performances and scoring record for England is very impressive.

People have compared him to Walcott but Marcus is a must more natural finisher even at his young age.

Zoo

See he doesn’t need to play down the middle.

wythyred

Watching him today has reminded me what a special talent he is.

We need to take care of him because he can be a world class player.

Mick321

Nicely finished, though Dave made it easy for him by being scared to leave his line as always.

This boy will thrive under a proper manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.