Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForestRGoinUp

For his own sake, our attack could really use a bigger star than him. Doubt that will happen now as Ole’s deemed him untouchable. Mbappe he is not.

Swiss_Red89

We would have been 1-0 up in the first ten minutes if he had passed to Martial who was unmarked on the far post. Rashford wanted to score himself and tried to take on two players and lost the ball.
We need a strong player on the pitch who can scare our own players too.
Ole needs to give him the hairdryer treatment.
Have seen this a few times now in regard to this situation..."Rashford was to selfish to pass/Rashford wanted to score himself"...its not true, he just waited a second to long. Should have hit it first time to Martial but he decided to wait a second. After this martial was marked and he tried to square the ball to lingard, which was blocked and resulted in a corner. Some people really go overboard with this selfishness stuff.

Kostov

After seeing him last night I felt the lack of leaders in this team. Nobody there to shake him up a bit and tell him to get his act together. He’s a kid and will have days like this, but even Ole needs to be a bit more ruthless at times.

Charles Miller

His final ball/decision is not good in the moment, but when things are not working he is one of the few who never stop trying and never give up.

SAFMUTD

He must be injured, since the liverpool game he is playing at half gas.

He is young and inconsistent, of course he is going to have some good and some poor games, but he should improve with experience. The thing is he was so so good at the beginning of Ole’s reign that our expectations went over the top.

Cloud7

He’s not looked the same since that Liverpool match and that injury. He desperately needs a rest in my opinion. Even if it will be painful for us in whatever match he doesn’t play in, we need him to regain some form for the run in.

matt23

This kid can do great things, he's a match winner, but his base level performance just isn't good enough for this club, IMO.

Unless he's bagging a goal or 2 he isn't giving us much we don't already have. He isn't the biggest forward we have, he isn't the fastest or the most technically gifted, nor is his finishing standout better than our other options and unlike Lingard, his game intelligence doesn't seemed to have improved to compliment his ability much over the years, if at all.

As far as I'm concerned-Rashford should count himself very lucky to have been blessed a manager that thinks the sun shines out of his back side, and who has pretty much given him carte blanch to go and do his thing upfront for 6 months, could he fecking cheer up and look a bit more lively about it?

Snafu17

Feck me. This place is like pulling bloody teeth. Reminding people that Rooney and Ronaldo also blew hot and cold at the same age as Rashford is apparently the same thing as claiming he is equally as good as our highest ever scorer and/or one of the best two or three players ever to kick a ball. I mean, fecking hell, what’s wrong with you people?
Don't worry, if Rashford turns out to be a success, his early career will, in a few years, no doubt be used as an example why a different younger player is not good enough to play for United.

JoaquinJoaquin

Been poor since he returned from injury. One thing I tend to find annoying with Rashford is the arrogance he seems to have for a player that has still achieved so little. Would be inclined to bench him when Lukaku returns, but the problem is we have Martial and Lingard who are even more inconsistent as the other options. We need an attacker in Summer desperately.

Litch

21 and not being the finished article, inconsistent and making mistakes.....who'd have thought it?

Loublaze

ATLien
This kid can do great things, he's a match winner, but his base level performance just isn't good enough for this club, IMO.

Unless he's bagging a goal or 2 he isn't giving us much we don't already have. He isn't the biggest forward we have, he isn't the fastest or the most technically gifted, nor is his finishing standout better than our other options and unlike Lingard, his game intelligence doesn't seemed to have improved to compliment his ability much over the years, if at all.

As far as I'm concerned-Rashford should count himself very lucky to have been blessed a manager that thinks the sun shines out of his back side, and who has pretty much given him carte blanch to go and do his thing upfront for 6 months, could he fecking cheer up and look a bit more lively about it?
Lukaku is the only physically imposing forward we have at United so what's your point? Rashford has pace in abundance, only two other united players (Pogba and Lukaku) clocked in with faster top speed times in the entire squad according to Opta last season. As far as finishing goes, who else bar Lukaku in the forward line is significantly better? Rashford is pretty much on par with Martial.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/m...third-fastest-manchester-united-player-136410

Solskjaer has only been in charge for exactly three months now, not 6, and the two previous managers had a lot of time for Rashford. Its a myth that Mourinho didn't give Rashford enough game time, we just didn't see much progress between him and Martial. Rashford can thank LVG for giving him a chance that he took with aplomb in his debut for United in the Europa league and his league debut against Arsenal. He solidified his place in the team with good performances, and got his chance to play upfront with Lukaku injured when Solskjaer took over. Again, he took his chance with aplomb, no luck involved. He's only 21, the same age Ronaldo started becoming a goal machine in 2006. Rashford scored more goals for United going into his 21st birthday than Ronaldo did going into his.

matt23

Lukaku is the only physically imposing forward we have at United so what's your point? Rashford has pace in abundance, only two other united players (Pogba and Lukaku) clocked in with faster top speed times in the entire squad according to Opta last season. As far as finishing goes, who else bar Lukaku in the forward line is significantly better? Rashford is pretty much on par with Martial.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/m...third-fastest-manchester-united-player-136410

Solskjaer has only been in charge for exactly three months now, not 6, and the two previous managers had a lot of time for Rashford. Its a myth that Mourinho didn't give Rashford enough game time, we just didn't see much progress between him and Martial. Rashford can thank LVG for giving him a chance that he took with aplomb in his debut for United in the Europa league and his league debut against Arsenal. He solidified his place in the team with good performances, and got his chance to play upfront with Lukaku injured when Solskjaer took over. Again, he took his chance with aplomb, no luck involved. He's only 21, the same age Ronaldo started becoming a goal machine in 2006. Rashford scored more goals for United going into his 21st birthday than Ronaldo did going into his.
Any kid with the record Rashford has at the top level is obviously no mug, as I said in my post the boys a match winner, he has lots going for him, but given that winning the ball in the air, hold up play, intelligence and first touch aren't necessarily some of his best attributes I still think he can consider himself fortunate to be playing centrally as aften as he does for Manchester United. Every manager he's worked with so far has rated him, as do I for what it's worth, but every one of them has also felt the need to go out and get a more established striker.

He's a wonderful talent, he's always put up numbers and he's always frustrated the hell out of me when he has a poor game, I just want him to improve his base level to be more useful when he isn't scoring.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His shooting from everywhere routine is getting really old as well. He's not Ronaldo, and he really needs to realise that.
We've profited from at least two big goals as a result of his shooting from everywhere routine. He's not doing it to score per say , he's doing it to prompt a mistake from the keeper

It's a good thing that despite the poor game he got a goal yesterday, that type of thing helps strikers find their form again

Loublaze

ATLien
Any kid with the record Rashford has at the top level is obviously no mug, as I said in my post the boys a match winner, he has lots going for him, but given that winning the ball in the air, hold up play, intelligence and first touch aren't necessarily some of his best attributes I still think he can consider himself fortunate to be playing centrally as aften as he does for Manchester United. Every manager he's worked with so far has rated him, as do I for what it's worth, but every one of them has also felt the need to go out and get a more established striker.

He's a wonderful talent, he's always put up numbers and he's always frustrated the hell out of me when he has a poor game, I just want him to improve his base level to be more useful when he isn't scoring.
Rashford's decision making hurts him sometimes and he obviously has a few things to work on before he becomes the finished article, but he has also shown intelligence in his play on several occasions. LVG, Mourinho and many opposition managers and ex players, including Wenger, Heskey, Henry, Beckham and his NT manager Southgate have all lauded Rashford specifically for his intelligence in one way or another.

IMO the only reason those managers went for established players is because Rashford is not the finished article, but he's still been rewarded with a lot of game time. Also, Lets not forget Rashford is still somewhat in a transitional stage in his career, position wise. He's been deployed mostly as a RW because of the attributes he possesses like speed and dribbling ability (also the fact his finishing needed working but its improved), but he'll eventually become a true forward like many young players before him who made the transition.

How many big clubs have 21 year olds leading their forward lines? Even Mbappe is still (and rightly so) being used mostly as an inverted winger but he'll no doubt become the major focus of attack soon. It happened to Henry as well, he was a winger at 21, and not a very good one, and Welbeck and Ronaldo too. Rashford was poor against PSG in the second leg but it was still his shot that Buffon couldn't handle that led to Lukaku scoring the second crucial goal on the rebound, and lets not forget his calm finish for the penalty. How's that for being useful when having an overall poor game? In the biggest game of the season too.

POF

Take a look at fan lineups for next season. Martial-Rashford-Sancho. Martial-Rashford-Pepe. We need to challenge next season and people believe Rashford can lead the line. What about pundits who want to see him consistently playing as our Striker? Rashford should be a rotational striker or an impact sub until he improves but instead he was given the number 10 for no reason but to sell shirts. That 75m striker is also not good enough. He is at his peak and is still scoring in batches. Not consistent enough. We need to replace Lukaku with another striker but people believe Rashford is good enough.

And it isnt a couple of performances is it?? 1 goal from open play in 8 games while playing his preferred position. Rashford should be played on the right and told to put in crosses so maybe he can stop being so selfish.
Andy Cole fired United to titles. Mark Hughes was the number 9 in title winning teams. Javier Hernandez and Berbatov scored the goals to win a titles. Rashford doesn't have to be Rooney or Ronaldo to justify his place in the side.

But equally, you can't expect him to play 90 minutes as a striker every game. The advantage he has is that he can play through the middle or out wide. Which means when you have another striker in form like Lukaku has been, you can still get both in the side.

At a club like United if they are going to be successful in every competition, you need a squad to be competitive. I don't think Rashford will be the undisputed number 9 (for a few years at least) or a rotational player. He's just a really good forward who will be in the team if he's playing well enough.

Most importantly, he has a never say die attitude and keeps going to the end. When you see him step up and slot that penalty in Paris it shows that he has a big game mentality. That is crucial in what Ole is trying to build.

Giggs86

He's only 21 ffs. Stop comparing him to prime Van Persie or Ronaldo. Just as a reminder Ronaldo was 21 in 2006 when he wasn't even half the player he would become 2-3 years later. He had zero goals in the Champions League at 21.

Should Rashford be our main man upfront at 21? Probably not, but the boy has a massive talent and he will be world class 2-3 years from now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's only 21 ffs. Stop comparing him to prime Van Persie or Ronaldo. Just as a reminder Ronaldo was 21 in 2006 when he wasn't even half the player he would become 2-3 years later. He had zero goals in the Champions League at 21.

Should Rashford be our main man upfront at 21? Probably not, but the boy has a massive talent and he will be world class 2-3 years from now.
See this is what I don't get. This view that its an inevitability. He still has a LOT in his game to evolve to be world class. Its far from a foregone conclusion.

Giggs86

See this is what I don't get. This view that its an inevitability. He still has a LOT in his game to evolve to be world class. Its far from a foregone conclusion.
Yes, he still has to evolve, but it is clear as day that there is something special in him. He got a winning mentality and a huge pair of balls for his age. He got the pace and the raw technical skill and he reminds me a lot of Ronaldo when he was at his age. Maybe it is wishful thinking but I hope to see him evolve the way Ronaldo did during the next 2-3 years. When we'll gradually get to see more and more of his long distance curve balls go in, him getting more and more clinical and physically stronger.

Andrew~

The problem isn’t his quality, he has a lot of talent, it’s that for whatever reason Ole has decided Rashford is his guy and doesn’t want to drop him.

He might be a star for us in the future but right now he’s not doing it, needs the same treatment as Lukaku when he was off the boil. Sit him down, let him get his head back and earn his way back into the team because right now he’s absolutely shocking.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ronaldo was our player of the year in his first season as a teenager and gave some brilliant performances which culminated in us winning the FA cup. He was then selected for Portugal at Euro 2004 where he benched the great Rui Costa after the first game. Ronaldo was only 19 at the time and played on the wing. Ronaldo at 21 was lauded by Jimmy Greaves as the best player in World Cup 06 in his opinion piece in the Daily Mirror. Rashford isn't even in the same league..

The comparison with Rooney is also silly, and it's true Rooney was a streaky player at a young age, but how on earth can anyone who watched Rooney as a youngster forget his vision, hold up play, link play and intelligence which was on a different level to Rashford. Rooney was more a second striker, that when he wasn't playing well, he'd still contribute with his superior vision to Rashford.

el3mel

Ronaldo was our player of the year in his first season as a teenager and gave some brilliant performances which culminated in us winning the FA cup. He was then selected for Portugal at Euro 2004 where he benched the great Rui Costa after the first game. Ronaldo was only 19 at the time and played on the wing. Ronaldo at 21 was lauded by Jimmy Greaves as the best player in World Cup 06 in his opinion piece in the Daily Mirror. Rashford isn't even in the same league..

The comparison with Rooney is also silly, and it's true Rooney was a streaky player at a young age, but how on earth can anyone who watched Rooney as a youngster forget his vision, hold up play, link play and intelligence which was on a different level to Rashford. Rooney was more a second striker, that when he wasn't playing well, he'd still contribute with his superior vision to Rashford.
The comparison of Rooney and Ronaldo to Martial and Rashford has been very silly. I know people want history to get repeated but the reality is Ronaldo and Rooney were like Mbappe currently, the one in generation like talents and we were pleased to have both since they were young. It's not going to happen with Rash and Martial.

Rashford and Martial can become pretty handy players and useful for us in the future but I can't see them eve reaching the same ceiling as Ronaldo and Rooney.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Rashford needs a rest obviously.
But who can take his place?
Lukaku is a couple of tiers below him. Why Ole in a normal first choice 11, Lukaku does not get in.
Martial is the only one who can perhaps play as a striker.
Mata and Lindgard can play behind a Front two.
Greenwood is a couple of years from being a regular option as a striker. He will get games next season of course.

We need a quality striker purchase in the summer.

Teja

Lukaku is a couple of tiers below him.
Um, no. The things Rashford has going for him are Pace, a wicked shot from distance and sometimes a neat trick in the box. His dribbling is very average and he cannot beat a man consistently. Lukaku is much more complete and the only thing he doesn't have going for him is his shit touch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Feck me. This place is like pulling bloody teeth. Reminding people that Rooney and Ronaldo also blew hot and cold at the same age as Rashford is apparently the same thing as claiming he is equally as good as our highest ever scorer and/or one of the best two or three players ever to kick a ball. I mean, fecking hell, what’s wrong with you people?
Perfectly reasonable to remind people that young players have inconsistencies. Then again, we can't let an opportunity to shit on our players pass, now can we?

I think it's a fair point that some have argued that we have two stars in the making in our front three accompanied by a hard working high energy forward. And that's probably not going to win you the league. I think what we have to do is strenghen the entire unit so that the likes of Rashford and Martial shine even more and move closer to their ideal level. Sort of like Sterling and Sane last year who were able to push a level due to being surrounded by KDB, Silva, Aguero etc.

If we add a RB, a midfield playmaker, a second CB who is good with the ball and a brilliant RW, it'll make the likes of Martial, Rashford and Pogba look better IMO as it'll release the burden from a few individuals to win the match to a team that functions well.

Also I have to add here that are we really expecting United 19/20 to win the PL? I think we can possibly challenge if Ole does an excellent job but toppling City in his first full season would be bonkers. Even Klopp and Pep needed a full season to bed their ideas in completely. Klopp is challenging in his 3rd year. Although I feel were much closer to a league winning squad than his Livepool were.

And given I'm off on many tangents, that's why I'd still sign Sancho despite him being young. Because I feel we have a year or so to go as a unit anyway.

Apologies to all for the randomness of my thoughts.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have seen this a few times now in regard to this situation..."Rashford was to selfish to pass/Rashford wanted to score himself"...its not true, he just waited a second to long. Should have hit it first time to Martial but he decided to wait a second. After this martial was marked and he tried to square the ball to lingard, which was blocked and resulted in a corner. Some people really go overboard with this selfishness stuff.
He has come pretty selfish IMO. Or he isn't confident of combining with his team mates. Either way I feel he needs to learn to play off his team mates. I rarely for example see him and Martial genuinely play together. Not putting it solely on him but we need to work on it. With the pace that those two have, it's strange that they never play one-twos to open defences up.

With Rashford I think it's fair that people bring it up. He often takes shots when a pass seems a much better option.

Swiss_Red89

He has come pretty selfish IMO. Or he isn't confident of combining with his team mates. Either way I feel he needs to learn to play off his team mates. I rarely for example see him and Martial genuinely play together. Not putting it solely on him but we need to work on it. With the pace that those two have, it's strange that they never play one-twos to open defences up.

With Rashford I think it's fair that people bring it up. He often takes shots when a pass seems a much better option.
Yes its true that he has to learn to combine more with his teammates in certain situations. Sometimes he takes on people when a simple pass would be the better option. He is also sometimes missing the eye for a free teammate who is in better position to finish than him. I hope this will get better with age.

But i dont mind his long range shooting at all, i feel he mixes it up well already. (for example in comparison to ronaldo who sometimes really shooted all the time when he was younger). And often his long range shoots are dangerous, you can't score when you pass it sidewards all the time. We probably wouldnt have had the magic night in paris if it wasnt for his selfishness to provoke the second goal.

Last edited:

Intilo

Has been dogshite for months already to be honest.

Um, no. The things Rashford has going for him are Pace, a wicked shot from distance and sometimes a neat trick in the box. His dribbling is very average and he cannot beat a man consistently. Lukaku is much more complete and the only thing he doesn't have going for him is his shit touch.
Lukaku hold the ball much better compared. Rashford is very weak, we saw kimpembe bullied him but couldn't bully Lukaku.

-Supreme-

Months?

He was great up until the Liverpool match where he was injured very early on. That was just under a month ago. Yes he has been shit in the five matches since then, but let's not go overboard.
So Rashford has been rubbish for 1/3 of the games since Ole is in charge, will be interesting to see if he can turn this around this season.

Intilo

Months?

He was great up until the Liverpool match where he was injured very early on. That was just under a month ago. Yes he has been shit in the five matches since then, but let's not go overboard.
We can't depend on a number 9 who only scores less than 10 goals a season. There is no way we will ever be a title challenger with him as main striker.

settembrini

I said in the Martial thread a few days ago that I think Rashford has been playing with an injury since the Liverpool game and Paul Joyce has written in the Times today that is the case. His ankle has not been given any time to heal and he's just been playing through the pain every match, hence the dip in his performances.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ry-for-englands-czech-republic-game-33rjxq3f7

It's interesting that this seems to be becoming a repeated occurrence under Solskjaer. Lingard was clearly played when unfit and got injured again as a result, Rashford has been playing while injured for weeks and we are lucky the injury has not gotten worse. Both Martial and Herrera looked a long way short of 100% against Wolves and straight after the game Martial withdrew from the French squad with an injury.

ArjenIsM3

I said in the Martial thread a few days ago that I think Rashford has been playing with an injury since the Liverpool game and Paul Joyce has written in the Times today that is the case. His ankle has not been given any time to heal and he's just been playing through the pain every match, hence the dip in his performances.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ry-for-englands-czech-republic-game-33rjxq3f7

It's interesting that this seems to be becoming a repeated occurrence under Solskjaer. Lingard was clearly played when unfit and got injured again as a result, Rashford has been playing while injured for weeks and we are lucky the injury has not gotten worse. Both Martial and Herrera looked a long way short of 100% against Wolves and straight after the game Martial withdrew from the French squad with an injury.
Been saying this for weeks, nice to have it confirmed by a reliable source now. And yes, Solskjaer playing players who haven't fully recovered from injury is a worry. His hand definitely wasn't forced against Wolves in the cup. Hope he realizes this.

cyberman

He played Lukaku after picking up a knock v PSG as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If he's injured why hasn't he pulled out of the England squad? It's not like they dont have the options

Swiss_Red89

Pulled out of the England squad
Confirmed?
So thats Rashford, Shaw, Martial, Matic and maybe Lukaku who got a call and return because of injuries...maybe United has forced them to do so to have the chance to recover the next fews days in front of the many difficult games we are facing.

As much as i enjoy to see them playing for their countries (especially rash for england) its good news for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.