Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

iKeano

I fecking told you he was shit like 4 weeks into his stint at United. The amount of abuse i got was hilarious.

On topic. Sell. Sell. Sell.
Same, never wanted him since dithering Dave waited until his buy out Claus ran over and paid £5m over the odds for this immobile, ineffective, tall person.

You probably thought the same thing before the Liverpool game too though.
Oh yea... And the glorious 0-0 draw at An field is now the benchmark of Man Utd performances?!

Jesus wept. Painting them up like the Anfield heroes after grinding out an LVG like 0-0.
Fellaini is the only player on the planet who can draw faux praise after a 0-0.

The mind boggles.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shame we've seen both sides to Fellaini this week. Was at his best against Liverpool, was at his worst against Chelsea. How somebody's form can change that much in a matter of days is odd, he just looked tired and slow.

ZDwyr

Same, never wanted him since dithering Dave waited until his buy out Claus ran over and paid £5m over the odds for this immobile, ineffective, tall person.

Oh yea... And the glorious 0-0 draw at An field is now the benchmark of Man Utd performances?!

Jesus wept. Painting them up like the Anfield heroes after grinding out an LVG like 0-0.
Fellaini is the only player on the planet who can draw faux praise after a 0-0.

The mind boggles.
No, and I never said it was. I was merely saying that Fellaini performed quite well in that game. I was not painting them as 'heroes' either. Again, just saying he played a solid game. So Herrera and the others who drew praise from that game are also not worthy because the score was 0-0?

Man Utd 0:0 Burnley

iKeano

No need to bring him on yesterday at all. Effectively setting up for a draw at home with 20mins to go against Burnley.
First thing he does is draw a foul, then proceeds to add absolutely zero to the game. We all might as well have went home as soon as he was brought on.
Such a negative footballer, I can't wait until he's gone from our club.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Perhaps that 'setting up for a draw at home with 20 mins to go against Burnley' was because Herrera got sent off?

It's only you who could come up with such shite random combination of letters which randomly fall into words in this thread really.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
He's useful for a certain tactical role and he's done it well several times this season. Only a handful of other players have done the same.

He's just the modern day Fletcher to this place in its internal struggle to accept there's a role for players who are only there to break up the play.

He's well down the list of people to blame yesterday but perhaps people just want to avoid blaming thier favourites.

If you dont think his role was needed then thats a criticism of Jose not Fellaini. Since the alternative everyone proposed was a 35 year who played days before and struggles against pressing teams then perhaps tactics shouldnt be judged either.
Modern day Fletcher ? have you lost it completely, Fletcher in his prime was fecking miles above anything Fellaini has ever shown.

Smores

Modern day Fletcher ? have you lost it completely, Fletcher in his prime was fecking miles above anything Fellaini has ever shown.
Fletcher was better for us but that wasnt my point if you wish to read it again. Fletcher for years was treated with the same distain on here that Fellaini now finds himself subjected to.

Only towards the end was he treated with any kind of respect.

I think Fellaini in his prime, at Everton, matched anything Fletcher gave us. Of course he's never recreated such form with us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fletcher was better for us but that wasnt my point if you wish to read it again. Fletcher for years was treated with the same distain on here that Fellaini now finds himself subjected to.

Only towards the end was he treated with any kind of respect.

I think Fellaini in his prime, at Everton, matched anything Fletcher gave us. Of course he's never recreated such form with us.
I was never a big fan of Fletcher but no that's too much.

Not to forget that Fletch and Fellaini are different type of players. One was a DM/box to box midfielder. The other is a no 10

dichinero

At his best he was certainly miles ahead of Fellaini
Definitely. Thanks to that Fabregas dive we would never know what might have been in that CL final if Fletcher was available. We were in serious form and Fletcher was immense that season.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
At his best he was certainly miles ahead of Fellaini
He was part of a better team and looking back people always remember things fondly. Fellaini at Everton looked a better player individually than Fletcher for us, bear in mind Fletcher had SAF whereas Fellaini has gone Moyes>Moyes>LVG, now Mourinho (Even include Wilmots in that), I think player vs player, Fellani has shown more, Fletcher was in a better team and it made it all easier for him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
My lasting impression of Fellaini's time at Everton was that he mainly played at 10 or well, produced his best displays at 10.

At 8 or 6, he's never really been on Fletchers (best) level. And Fletcher hardly ever played as a 10 for us.

So it's very difficult to compare Fellaini's (best) time at Everton, with Fletchers at United.

But yeah, I'm a big Fletcher fan. :drool:

dichinero

He was part of a better team and looking back people always remember things fondly. Fellaini at Everton looked a better player individually than Fletcher for us, bear in mind Fletcher had SAF whereas Fellaini has gone Moyes>Moyes>LVG, now Mourinho (Even include Wilmots in that), I think player vs player, Fellani has shown more, Fletcher was in a better team and it made it all easier for him.
A fair assessment but in that season when Fletcher came to the fore front, he played out of his skin,like a man possessed. Even though he played in a better team, the level of opposition and completion ahead and in front was relatively better, far better imo. There were many periods in that season that with all the big names we had in the United squad, we were very reliant on Fletcher that season. The very fact that one of our own went from getting so much stick to getting high praises in the space of one season is testament to how good he was at his peak. I would have a peak Fletcher over a peak Fellaini any day of the week!

Smores

My lasting impression of Fellaini's time at Everton was that he mainly played at 10 or well, produced his best displays at 10.

At 8 or 6, he's never really been on Fletchers (best) level. And Fletcher hardly ever played as a 10 for us.

So it's very difficult to compare Fellaini's (best) time at Everton, with Fletchers at United.

But yeah, I'm a big Fletcher fan. :drool:
Thats very fair. Both had one great season where their style became accepted because of the level of their performances. Id chuck Valencia in when he was first a winger here as another limited player who served a tactical purpose, again got a hard time of it. You need these players as they do a job.

Lingard will probably end up being the same. Favoured by the manager for his work rate but receives abuse when he's not having an amazing game. The contributions to the team are hardly ever recognised.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Thats very fair. Both had one great season where their style became accepted because of the level of their performances. Id chuck Valencia in when he was first a winger here as another limited player who served a tactical purpose, again got a hard time of it. You need these players as they do a job.

Lingard will probably end up being the same. Favoured by the manager for his work rate but receives abuse when he's not having an amazing game. The contributions to the team are hardly ever recognised.
Valencia was a beast during his best years on the wing though - especially when it came to productivity. Welbeck/Park could, overall, get away with their lack of end product because other players (Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, RvP etc.) were producing at that point.

But when your team and attack is misfiring, it's nigh on impossible to have someone like Lingard in the team and not expect him to produce, if that makes sense. Especially when there are players like Martial/Mkhitaryan who are not being utilised, or given an opportunity to play themselves into form. But that's also a case of Lingard now getting abuse for JM's managerial decisions. Which is also unfair on the player. Don't get me wrong, I personally don't think Lingard or Fellaini is good enough to start for us - but they do have their uses.

I think the final point which is very important to realise these days, is that the league is so competitive at the moment, and around the rest of the Europe, the top teams are now littered with talent in every position. So it's also become a little more difficult to accommodate players in your team, especially attacking ones, who are there mainly because of their hard work. That's the difference between ending top 1-4, or ending out of the top 4. All just IMO, anyway.

Sorry. I'm derailing the thread now I think.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I get the feeling the big guy we'll stick around at this club longer than people realise and want through sheer force of mentality and a dash of personality.

Devil may care

He's of no use on the ball but puts a shift in, sounds like I'm describing a West Brom player, hopefully Herrera is back against Arsenal, he can do all of the pressing and running but is also good on the ball.

kundalini

How'd he play today?
Decent shot just wide early on from Darmian's cross. Passing safe, dull but seemed to find a red shirt. One careless foul in our half that I noticed. Didn't really stand out too much, either in a good way or a bad way.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Mourinho saying he gave the calmness for Pogba, pretty sure that was Carrick. Herrera deserves to start ahead of Fellaini though.

Morpheus 7

How'd he play today?
He was painfully average. He missed 2 good opportunities. Looks like a tired dog tied to a pole, unable to move in certain directions and slow. The classic needless foul from behind and zero movement. Completed his passing but with no zip or intensity. Kept on the 90 for his height. He did have one for the reel moment in the first half. I think it was Pogba who lifted a great ball over the top to him into the box. I was expecting that best chest in world football we come to know from him, instead he fell in a hilariously bad moment of control.

tomaldinho1

Just always slightly off the pace, wasn't bad to day but was a pretty uninspiring cog in the machine.

I don't mind him on the bench but I really don't see what he brings apart from height. I would argue, the amount of stupid free kicks he gives away outweighs any positives he brings. Carrick was awesome today, makes such a difference.

NM

He was painfully average. He missed 2 good opportunities. Looks like a tired dog tied to a pole, unable to move in certain directions and slow. The classic needless foul from behind and zero movement. Completed his passing but with no zip or intensity. Kept on the 90 for his height. He did have one for the reel moment in the first half. I think it was Pogba who lifted a great ball over the top to him into the box. I was expecting that best chest in world football we come to know from him, instead he fell in a hilariously bad moment of control.
:lol:

Did his job and will probably keep his place against Arsenal

dichinero

Am I the only person convinced that the club will not pack it in if we stop playing Fellaini? Puts in a shift but there is loads of buts about him, far too much for my liking!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What a load of dogshit.

Sylar

He will be picked in big games because he does what hes told to do. In a three man midfield it can work, cos he can do the dirty work and give it to the likes of Carrick / Pogba to get it moving forward.

He elbows less too.

It was a quiet game from him but it was what was needed.

Walters_19_MuFc

Fellaini, like everyone of our other midfielders, except for maybe Schneiderlin are all better in a 3 man midfield. He put in a proper shift today and adds steel to the side. Nice balance with him and Pogba.

rollingstoned1

For a big guy who looks clumsy and ungainly, he actually has decent technique and ball control and doesn't give away the ball that often. He has absolutely no vision or intelligence on the ball though and often slows play down and picks the safest pass even when there are better and more direct options and that's a big problem when you are playing in central midfield. He's also not tactically disciplined enough to do the job of a holding midfielder and mark players out of games. Despite all that he offers a physical presence and threat from set pieces and for some reason managers like him which is why I think he will be around the club for a while yet despite everyone wanting him out. Kind of like what Park was.

DanClancy

The game passed him by, as usual he did what he was told to do and was pedestrian in possession. He'll never learn with giving needless free kicks away and its so frustrating watching him heading the ball away time and time again when under no pressure.

A year left on his contract come the summer, I just hope its not renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.