Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

I did find it funny yesterday, a number of us complained about his half-time performance, and got a few of the usual "Being scapegoated again" rubbish comments back. Didn't hear too many of them the second the team came out for the 2nd half and it became apparent that the manager saw it exactly the same way as the rest of us. The improvement in the second half performance was quite notable too.

But hey, I guess we were only scapegoating him by mentioning that he performed badly.
Yeah it was hilarious. The usual rubbish like 'hate' and 'haters' was being bandied about but that seemed to die when he didn't come out for the second half.

red4ever 79

He just isnt good enough for us, especially with the type of football we are trying to play, attacking move and pass. He tries, but its not enough at an elite level

Jaybomb

When will people understand that he has a role to fulfil in the team?

Mourinho put him on against St Ettiene to break up what he thought was gonna be a strong defensive unit to break down. When they started playing, he realised he wasn't needed as much.

Its basic football tactics but sadly unless you're a manager, you won't recognise the importance of players like Marouane.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Jose made a mistake choosing Fellaini in that forward midfield role but fortunately it caused us no harm. It was an odd decision for me; against weak (lower 2nd div) opposition Fellaini can bully some midfield players with his size, but St Etienne are no mugs and Felly was made to look like one I'm afraid.
Hopefully Jose has learned a little more about the big man & uses him only as a sub from here on in, when we need some height up front or another runner in midfield to stifle and close a game out.
We have several better choices to start games imho

dirkey

When will people understand that he has a role to fulfil in the team?

Mourinho put him on against St Ettiene to break up what he thought was gonna be a strong defensive unit to break down. When they started playing, he realised he wasn't needed as much.

Its basic football tactics but sadly unless you're a manager, you won't recognise the importance of players like Marouane.
I don't agree with this in the slightest.

I would ask .. when will people realise that we're instantly more effective the minute he is taken off if he starts a game .. except, I think most people understand and see this immediately.

He has a role as a sub for the final 10 minutes when we're needing a goal. That's it.

Roboc7

I don't agree with this in the slightest.

I would ask .. when will people realise that we're instantly more effective the minute he is taken off if he starts a game .. except, I think most people understand and see this immediately.

He has a role as a sub for the final 10 minutes when we're needing a goal. That's it.
The good thing is mourinho only starts him if he has to now and when he does he gets subbed off, his stock is falling and his role becoming more and more limited. We will strengthen in midfield in the summer and fellaini will either be sold or will play less which will a step forward.

The sub role in final 10 mins is only area he adds to the squad and it's all we should use him for.

Toad

Think he should stay at the club, I like him, oddly.

I think he is a useful player in the right game and think he is good off the bench. He does score important goals but is inconsistent obviously.

That being said, I wouldnt be sad if he left the club because there are notably much better players, but I don't think it is something major we need to address at the moment. His aerial presence would be missed in my opinion.

ti vu

He isn't lazy. He just lack talent and mobility. Also he's not a DM.
He started as no 10 this game. While not being asked to tracked back deep, he was lazy enough to disappear altogether.

Grunge

Yeah it was hilarious. The usual rubbish like 'hate' and 'haters' was being bandied about but that seemed to die when he didn't come out for the second half.
In fairness his performance didn't include any major gaffs and was perhaps no worse than many, (Bailly comes to mind) he just didn't do anything productive (while you could argue Bailly did). No need to bash or hate.
I think we all get that he's not what most of us "expect" in a United player but Mourinho sees value in his height & strength and it looks like he will remain a squad player because of that.
I personally just think he should do something with that silly fecking mop on his bonce!

dirkey

I really hope the lad has a good game and proves me wrong, but I must admit, my interest in watching the game just nosedived spectacularly. Our performances are always so laboured when he starts.

jackofalltrades

I don't see him or Carrick as being quick enough for us today. They'll probably press high and fast and neither of them is good at dealing with that. The bus will be parked, I'd say.

ManUtd1999

He offers very little but in a game like today he just needed to be a body on the pitch and did that without messing up.
To be honest 1: he is typically better than that.
To be honest 2: not every player is ready to play that role without complaining, and that's one reason for why I like him (as, I think, the manager does).

Roboc7

Didn't offer anything of note but was at least better than first leg, worryingly he probably has a chance of starting the final on Sunday which would be completely undeserved based on recent performances.

Kag

He was shite. If Pogba or Herrera put in a performance as anonymous as that they'd be panned. Every time the ball reaches him the attack slows down and reaches a stand still.

Grunge

He offers very little but in a game like today he just needed to be a body on the pitch and did that without messing up.
Pretty much sums it up ... all I would add is that Jose sees him as a BIG body needed (sometimes) on the pitch and he has shown of late he's just about capable of not messing up when called upon. He clearly backed out of some challenges to avoid unnecessary cards and clogged up the middle for us. Helped finish of the tie.

He's as underwhelming as getting a pair of socks for Christmas.
:lol:

Sylar

I would hate to play in attack with him as a midfielder behind me. Its not meant as a direct attack on him cos we know thats either whats asked of him or his ability, but there are times when he gets the ball and theres an option for a forward pass but he either passes it sideways or backwards. I would actually like to see a pass map of his last few games to see how many passes were going forward vs the rest. It seems like hes a risk free player, but not sure if we need that for next season (unless as stated, its just so that hes a body). But then again, if thats the case, we could use TFM for that.

shield

That was a little underwhelming. Even with his low technical ability, I am sure I have seen him play better than that.

I think he is always under instructions to keep things very simple us by just providing some steel and a strong presence and make sure that the opposition don't start dominating us. Also, I feel that all players are given such instructions but because they are more technically able than him they have this natural instinct to attack and do things against the general plan.

Fellaini on the other hand knows his limitations and follows these instructions to a tee. Also, Jose is defense minded manager who likes tactical organization and this suits Fellaini. I think that is the reason why he is picked so often, even over more superior players like Schweinsteiger.

I am sure we would not started yesterday if we needed to chase the game.

Fracture90

Is it just me or it seemed as if he was more composed when in possession today, was actually moving good and asking for the ball? He was holding the ball and wasn't so petrified of it as before?

LouisDanGaal

He played fine. Better than last week. To get the best out of him I think you need Pogba and Herrera at least then three have decent mobility, when its only pogba you know the midfield won't be offering much attack wise.

Ashley R1+O

Solid, reliable all-round midfielder doing his job and getting us through to the next round. Professional performance, I'd expect nothing less to be honest. He's been solid for the last three years.

ti vu

Last week, same opponent was disastrous lazy performance from him. This game is he was able to help out & do the simple thing well. Professional performance.
Coach, where is my elbow warm up exercise?

Last edited:

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
How can he be over Bastian in the pecking order? What does he really offer that Bastian doesn't?

The only thing I can think of is running and defensive headers. And despite the running he's poor in actually tracking runners and making interceptions because he has very little awareness of what's going on around him. A nothing player.

Give me Schweinsteiger anytime, especially against crap teams. He's a comfortable on the ball, can spot a pass and he's a leader with world class pointing.

Man Utd 1:1 Bournemouth

Roboc7

No idea why we keep trying to play him in midfield, he was absolutely useless today until he got put up front and then he stated causing some problems it was too late.

Play him as a target man or don't play him.

stevoc

No idea why we keep trying to play him in midfield, he was absolutely useless today until he got put up front and then he stated causing some problems it was too late.

Play him as a target man or don't play him.
I don't think he should be brought on at all when we are chasing a game, but yeah if you are going to bring him on having him swan around midfield is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.