5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

It is an opinion shared by more than a few. Just because you do not agree with it doesn't mean it is hyperbole or nonsense.

We have had so many debates on this in the forum, let us leave it at that.
You can just about claim that Fellaini is a more useful player than Herrera. But saying that he's a better CENTRAL MIDFIELDER is unbelievable and ridiculous. Yesterday's game showed perfectly why: in deep positions he got caught out several times; when pushed up, he was a dangerous outlet. Which is fine but he lacks the skillset of a central midfielder, basically.

marktan

Fellaini's definitely not as good a CM as Herrera. The skillset for CM is very different from an AM, which is where Fellaini's best at. That said Herrera wasn't particularly great either yesterday, but our midfield was pretty outnumbered yesterday with Fabregas, Kante, Bakayoko and Hazard roaming all over the place vs our 2. Having Pogba back after the international break will help us out a lot.

I thought Fellaini did very well when he came on, allowing us to go route one to Fellaini meant Chelsea had to sit back and it afforded it a lot more space to our attackers. It may not be 'pretty' but he's a very useful option to have upfront, and I'm glad we have him. People do need to recognise though that his best plays happen near the opposition box, and not ours.

stevoc

It is an opinion shared by more than a few. Just because you do not agree with it doesn't mean it is hyperbole or nonsense.

We have had so many debates on this in the forum, let us leave it at that.
You can hold the opinion that Fellaini is a better player than Herrera that is fine, and i said as much in my last post that you quoted. And even though it's obviously not true i suppose you could even think that Fellaini is a better central midfielder than Herrera.

But when you guys start with your ''twice the player'' ''ten times the player'' bullshit then that is what is pure nonsense and that is what i am referring to. You don't need to shit on one player to praise another.

undertaker

Fellaini is a better player than herrera, i like herrera but he is an average player who united fans have hyped up to an extreme. Fellaini looks bad at times because he is gangly but he is more efficient at defending and attacking in cm.

settembrini

Herrera is a significantly better player than Fellaini but I'm not sure it's a very useful comparison given Herrera's best position is defensive midfielder and Fellaini's best position is attacking midfielder.

VP

The exaltation of Fellaini on here genuinely puzzles me.

According to our player ratings, he's (rated at 6.9) is having a better season than Matic (6.8), Jones (6.8) and Lukaku (6.5).

What are you guys seeing?

Kostur

海尔的老板
The exaltation of Fellaini on here genuinely puzzles me.

According to our player ratings, he's (rated at 6.9) is having a better season than Matic (6.8), Jones (6.8) and Lukaku (6.5).

What are you guys seeing?
He hasn't played in Huddersfield, Liverpool and Chelsea games, all of which probably brought notes down a lot.

Edit: ditto Stoke. Basically he hasn't played in a game where we dropped points.

PepsiCola

He looked like he was trying to give Chelsea a goal at 2 points last night.

I dislike what he signifies, hoofball football.

Godfather

He hasn't played in Huddersfield, Liverpool and Chelsea games, all of which probably brought notes down a lot.

Edit: ditto Stoke. Basically he hasn't played in a game where we dropped points.
There's no way this can be held against him though?

Godfather

Makes important interceptions, doesn't hide, works himself into the ground.

Herrera is being unfairly jumped on
Can't pass, makes long range efforts when he can't shoot for shit, brings nothing going forward and falls over way too easily. Not impressed this season.

Kostur

海尔的老板
There's no way this can be held against him though?
I'm not sure I catch your drift here, I meant that his note is higher than the others' because the others have played in matches where they've got their notes down due to losses and draws, whereas Fellaini didn't play in those, hence the average of his is higher than the others'.

Of course it cannot be held against him, he was injured in those games, can't really remember if he was injured for the Stoke match too. Some people are looking for some conspiracy though I guess.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Think it was obvious he wasn't fit and was rushed back yesterday.

Somehow played terribly and still managed to create a really good chance - go figure.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fellaini is a better player than herrera, i like herrera but he is an average player who united fans have hyped up to an extreme. Fellaini looks bad at times because he is gangly but he is more efficient at defending and attacking in cm.
Herrera was better than Pogba and arguably our best player last season. His level for Bilbao was something Fellaini is never going to reach. It's debateable as who fits Jose better (probably Fellaini) but Herrera is capable of far more than Fellaini.

Jaybomb

Don’t get your point... worse players in better squads yes. When you see Citeah bring on Jesus and De Silva while we bring on Fellaini and Lingard, shows how off the pace we are.

Not Fellaini’s fault, it’s Josés fault. That cameo today by lanky was car crash though.
Give it a rest.

We have Martial, they have Jesus. We have Mata, they have Silva. We have Lingard, they have Delph. There’s not much overall difference in the quality of the squads. Nearly all of our players start for their countries.

PepsiCola

Give it a rest.

We have Martial, they have Jesus. We have Mata, they have Silva. We have Lingard, they have Delph. There’s not much overall difference in the quality of the squads. Nearly all of our players start for their countries.
You genuinely believe this?

Roboc7

Lumping the ball forward to him at the end of games is such a lazy tactic, in all the time he has been here it hardly ever works. Like any percentage player he looks more dangerous than he actually is, and fellaini is better when he arrives late in the box rather than stood u front as a target man.

You will only get beast out of fellaini if he plays in a midfield three and you cross the ball a lot, he was more effective at Everton because that’s how they played.

Neither him or Herrera are good enough and persisting with both beyond this season is a total waste of time.

Jaybomb

You genuinely believe this?
We have Pogba and Ibra out. If you line the squads up, they’re pretty equal.

De Gea/Romero > Ederson/Bravo
Bailly/Rojo > Stones/Otamendi
Walker = Valencia
Mendy > Young > Delph
Toure = Fellaini
Matic/Herrera > Gundogan/Fernandinho
De Bruyne = Pogba
David Silva/Bernardo Silva = Mata/Mkhi
Rashford = Sterling
Ibra = Aguero
Lukaku/Martial > Jesus/Sane

Injuries fecked us, that’s all. Pogba’s injury affects 5 players in the team.

Betson

He looked like he was trying to give Chelsea a goal at 2 points last night.

I dislike what he signifies, hoofball football.

It certainly is not pretty or the Utd way but needs must right now , like it or not hoofball is our best chance of scoring when we play against the stronger teams. We seen it yesterday where our midfield has not got the quality to hold on to the ball more than a few passes when under pressure nevermind have the creativity to cut teams open. If we were going to score an equalizer yesterday it was 99% certain to come form a long ball in and more than likely to Fellani, we could be playing until next Xmas and we would not have created a chance any other way. We have to realistic about what we have.

shield

Herrera was better than Pogba and arguably our best player last season. His level for Bilbao was something Fellaini is never going to reach. It's debateable as who fits Jose better (probably Fellaini) but Herrera is capable of far more than Fellaini.
I too had this feeling at the back of my mind, up until his recent performances. Glad to see someone else also share this opinion. I even felt that, last year, Pogba was holding Herrera back as Herrera was forced to play as a DM and could not express himself. So his recent outings have left me feeling really confused. He is a much better player that what we are seeing.

Don't feel it is right to blame Fellaini. He was quite clearly off the pace and came on, in one of the most difficult periods yesterday. He did make some mistakes but caught up eventually.

International break can't come sooner. All our players need to sit down and clear their heads and start performing to their true potential.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I too had this feeling at the back of my mind, up until his recent performances. Glad to see someone else also share this opinion. I even felt that, last year, Pogba was holding Herrera back as Herrera was forced to play as a DM and could not express himself. So his recent outings have left me feeling really confused. He is a much better player that what we are seeing.

Don't feel it is right to blame Fellaini. He was quite clearly off the pace and came on, in one of the most difficult periods yesterday. He did make some mistakes but caught up eventually.

International break can't come sooner. All our players need to sit down and clear their heads and start performing to their true potential.
Hererra is just not that good as a CM. He is just like Fellaini IMO in that he only suits a specific role.

Matic and Pogba are complete midfielders, yes they have their best qualities but they are not deficient in any area. Pogba is good enough to cover for Matic in defensive areas and provide a spark in midfield, while Matic is good enough to cover for Pogba in offensive areas and be a wall in front of the defense.

PepsiCola

Walker = Valencia
Mendy > Young > Delph
Toure = Fellaini
De Bruyne = Pogba
Rashford = Sterling
Ibra = Aguero

You're grossly underrating a lot of City players there.

el3mel

That doesn't really need his current performance to change your opinion. Last season each time Herrera played next to Fellaini or Carrick without Pogba, the midfield was crap offensively. Most of Herrera games were as a DMF that's when he shines. Pogba playing next to him elevated him, not the opposite.

Herrera is better as a DMF while Fellaini is better as an attacking midfield or a second striker on playing long balls.

Godfather

Walker = Valencia
Mendy > Young > Delph
Toure = Fellaini
De Bruyne = Pogba
Rashford = Sterling
Ibra = Aguero

That's not very accurate though.

Godfather

I'm not sure I catch your drift here, I meant that his note is higher than the others' because the others have played in matches where they've got their notes down due to losses and draws, whereas Fellaini didn't play in those, hence the average of his is higher than the others'.

Of course it cannot be held against him, he was injured in those games, can't really remember if he was injured for the Stoke match too. Some people are looking for some conspiracy though I guess.
What I meant is that the fact he hasn't featured in games we lost tells us that he is an integral and important part of Mourinho's system and team. Thought you were using the stat to play that down. You didn't though so ignore me.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What I meant is that the fact he hasn't featured in games we lost tells us that he is an integral and important part of Mourinho's system and team. Thought you were using the stat to play that down. You didn't though so ignore me.
Ah alright, agree with your first point absolutely, ugly and disliked as it may be, it definitely is.

shield

That doesn't really need his current performance to change your opinion. Last season each time Herrera played next to Fellaini or Carrick without Pogba, the midfield was crap offensively. Most of Herrera games were as a DMF that's when he shines. Pogba playing next to him elevated him, not the opposite.

Herrera is better as a DMF while Fellaini is better as an attacking midfield or a second striker on playing long balls.
Yes, maybe. I still hold a very high opinion of Herrera and I think he is better than what he is showing recently.

mancan92

Can't pass, makes long range efforts when he can't shoot for shit, brings nothing going forward and falls over way too easily. Not impressed this season.
Herrera was our highest contributor attacking wise statistically last season. Most assists in our team. Highest pass completion, most interceptions, most tackles etc. Yet he can't pass? That's why what your saying stupid and ridiculous. Even yesterday he had more passes completed, more interceptions, more tackles than any of our players even matic.

Fellaini isn't near Herrera and its ridiculous of course if we play long balls fellaini is going to be useful but in any match that involves actually playing football Herrera is better.

AshRK

Walker = Valencia
Mendy > Young > Delph
Toure = Fellaini
De Bruyne = Pogba
Rashford = Sterling
Ibra = Aguero

That is just ridiculous assessment. Mkhi and Mata are no where near to Silva or Bernardo.

ManUtd1999

He made 4 mistakes in the match, 2 of which could have easily led to a goal.

Get rid asap!
We're lucky to have an experienced manager who does not throw players away just because they made a mistake or two in their first appearance after an injury (especially if the player trained only once). Fellaini scored 3 goals and assisted 1 in their last 4 games before the injury. Tell me how many in our team has this record?

Fellaini did more than many others to equalize yesterday, but you choose to ignore that. He actually could get a shot on target... unlike that "creative/better midfield" player with zero goals, zero assists and only 1 shot on target the entire season so far (and he played more than Fellaini).

It's amazing that people can't give this guy a break even after an injury. It's as if they waited for him to make a mistake. In retrospect, I wish Mourinho didn't bring him in yesterday in these tough circumstances so that people like this poster will never show up with their "get rid asap".

EDIT: to be clear, his first 10 minutes yesterday were bad. He looked nervous, unsure about his legs, etc. But once he got going, he looked threatening.

Last edited:

Jaybomb

That is just ridiculous assessment. Mkhi and Mata are no where near to Silva or Bernardo.
Based on your opinion only. In my book, Bernardo or David Silva wouldn’t do much better than Mata or Mkhi at United.

stevoc

Herrera was our highest contributor attacking wise statistically last season. Most assists in our team. Highest pass completion, most interceptions, most tackles etc. Yet he can't pass? That's why what your saying stupid and ridiculous. Even yesterday he had more passes completed, more interceptions, more tackles than any of our players even matic.

Fellaini isn't near Herrera and its ridiculous of course if we play long balls fellaini is going to be useful but in any match that involves actually playing football Herrera is better.
Theres some people who won't let facts such as these get in the way of their perceptions. More assists last season than Fellaini has had in his entire United career and yet Herrera brings nothing to the team offensively according to some.

meninred

Fellaini was a threat when he came in.
He almost scored.he did an excellent job overall.

PepsiCola

Excellent job? He made two mistakes which should have been punished by goals had Chelsea not been wasteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.