Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Nah even before Sissoko came on he let Son skip past him a few times, Rojo was doing two jobs and Darmian was screwing up every attack he was involved in.
When a full-back is out of position, it is natural for the CB to cover up. Happens regularly for all full-backs who go upfield. That was more of the case with Son, Spurs stretching our defence. I was happy with what I saw before the Sissoko nightmare happened.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I think that's a bit of a stretch. It was a barely passable performance up until Sissoko came on. And after, well...

But yeah, we definitely need Shaw to step up immediately, or we have to splash the cash for a left back in January.
Well, maybe it is a stretch, he wasn't a 9 or 10 for sure. But he wasn't as bad before Sissoko as people are making him out to be. He can do a decent job within his limitations, as I stated earlier.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When a full-back is out of position, it is natural for the CB to cover up. Happens regularly for all full-backs who go upfield. That was more of the case with Son, Spurs stretching our defence. I was happy with what I saw before the Sissoko nightmare happened.
Darmian wasn't out of position offering something forward, he was tucking in as much as he could because he was afraid of being taken wide.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Not his best game today but there's nothing being said in here that hasn't been said in the Rojo thread. Now look at him.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Poor game today but people acting like a fresh Sissoko isn't a physical mismatch for most players

It's NOT just this game. He's NOT a left back and he's an average at best right back. CBJ is a better premier league fullback than Darmian. I don't have any idea why we loaned out CBJ and kept Darmian.

lysglimt

Scout
He simply isn't good enough - any decent wingers with either pace or strength gets past him.

Devil may care

I thought he was poor today, he's the weak link in the back 4 for me and in the team right now.

Esquire

You are right. There are so many people ready to rip Darmian apart here. Though to be fair, he needs to bulk up or he will get eaten alive by more powerful wingers in this league.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's an absolutely shocking player currently. God knows what's wrong with him but he offers nothing going forward, martial was 2v1 all game.

I hate the way he's so nervous as soon as he gets the ball, he just kicks it first time as high and far as possible. If he gets a bit more time he will pass it back to de gea instead. He's just a complete coward.

Sissoko absolutely destroyed him, but instead of figuring out what was going wrong he went hiding and got pogba to cover his ass.

I really fear what zaha will do to him on Wednesday.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Never at all confident with this lad, let alone out of position. But until Shaw can sort himself out, it seems Mourinho prefers him to Blind there.

Was a little concerned to see Rashford coming on to "support" him, after the Arsenal game, but we got through it, and at least it was a positive sort of move

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Went back looking for the guy who said he had a reliable good day today, and couldn't find it amongst 100s of posts saying how poor he is, and was today.

Gets absolutely annihilated by a lot of wingers, today one who has been out of form all season, and I don't think he's had more than 5 games for us where he's lasted 90mins without a booking. Today, amazingly was a rare time he did!

I can only think Mourinho is trying to replicate his classic "one attacking fullback, one solid fullback" routine, and thinks "he's an Italian international , he must be good"

Yagami

Good post resistant
I can relate to his troubles in growing facial hair and he does seem like a nice guy so I have no problem with him, but he's just not very good. Anytime a player is running at him I fear the worst.

I don't think Blind's had a bad game at LB since joining so I don't see why Darmian starts over him other than because he's taller. Unless José is a facial hair growing sympathiser, too?

mu4c_20le

He belongs at a club like Liverpool, I can see him in one of those Nivea commercials

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Darmian wasn't out of position offering something forward, he was tucking in as much as he could because he was afraid of being taken wide.

Darmian's average position was higher up the pitch than Rose's, today, and Rose is an attacking LB. Look at their heatmaps in the link above.

Can someone embed that image, please? I can't from my phone somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norris

Went back looking for the guy who said he had a reliable good day today, and couldn't find it amongst 100s of posts saying how poor he is, and was today.

Gets absolutely annihilated by a lot of wingers, today one who has been out of form all season, and I don't think he's had more than 5 games for us where he's lasted 90mins without a booking. Today, amazingly was a rare time he did!

I can only think Mourinho is trying to replicate his classic "one attacking fullback, one solid fullback" routine, and thinks "he's an Italian international , he must be good"
He didn't have a good game today, but anyone would have a tough time against Sissoko's explosiveness. He was hardly given any help by Martial. The criticism on him for today's game are fair, but I don't get the logic of questioning if he's good enough for United.

JoaquinJoaquin

It's NOT just this game. He's NOT a left back and he's an average at best right back. CBJ is a better premier league fullback than Darmian. I don't have any idea why we loaned out CBJ and kept Darmian.
To be honest CBJ is hardly the answer either. The fact Wolves are sending him back is telling.

3KDré

If Shaw and Blind aren't getting a start, I would much rather Joe Riley did over Darmian.

Robbie Boy

I see some are continuing the whole 'he's good defensively' nonsense. No, no he's not. In fact he's atrocious which is why most teams try to exploit our left hand side.

Robbie Boy

I remember being told by loads on here that had supposedly watched a lot of Darmian, that we were signing a brilliant fullback.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I remember when he signed the consensus was 'decent, no frills defender who needs to work on his offensive game'. He still hasn't kicked on up the pitch and his defending's gone to pot. Poor positionally and as soft as me pocket, looks shot at this level so Christ knows why he's getting games.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Fed up seeing him start. One of the worst players to play for us in recent years. Those saying he is good defensively have got to be joking. And he's somehow manages to be worse on the ball than he is at defending

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Showing no signs of improving either unlike Rojo, Jones, Valencia etc. Hopefully we don't see him next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.