Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yesterday and in general since 2013 Januzaj has been worse. I can't blame people for having no faith in Memphis but Januzaj is in the same boat.
Was he really worse than Memphis was yesterday? Anyway, my point is Memphis would not have been given the chances and games he got last season if he'd been a youth product rather than a 25m signing.

I'd rather we cut our losses now to be honest.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Was he really worse than Memphis was yesterday? Anyway, my point is Memphis would not have been given the chances and games he got last season if he'd been a youth product rather than a 25m signing.

If we are judging players after just one season, then we should sell everyone except DDG and Martial. Lets give him at least one more season before judging him. Hell we gave the buffoon Van Gaal two years. There is nothing wrong in giving Memphis another season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He was, at least Memphis was heavily involved maybe he benefitted from Micki but Januzaj wasn't good. Personally I don't care all that much about Memphis, I just think that people are being unfair with him, yesterday he delivered the same performance than Lingard and they were both far better than Januzaj but apparently Januzaj was decent.
And yes he isn't good enough at the moment, he is in the team because we need warm bodies, but at the same time he actually creates chances for himself with his runs which is more than someone like Januzaj.

If it was me I would sell the one that yields more money and play Lingard before them every time.

Footyislife

Still worth holding on to him at least until he's 23/24. He's got the raw physical an technical abilities, but just needs to get loaned out to a decent league where he can get match time to figure out how to adapt his play style to tougher opposition. He looks terrible when trying to take the players on when he's not running at them full speed. Very indecisive on what he wants to do with the ball. His passing and crossing from the wing isn't great either. He takes too many unnecessary touches because his instinct is to cut in with the right foot, when a pass with the left would be better.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He was, at least Memphis was heavily involved maybe he benefitted from Micki but Januzaj wasn't good. Personally I don't care all that much about Memphis, I just think that people are being unfair with him, yesterday he delivered the same performance than Lingard and they were both far better than Januzaj but apparently Januzaj was decent.
And yes he isn't good enough at the moment, he is in the team because we need warm bodies, but at the same time he actually creates chances for himself with his runs which is more than someone like Januzaj.

If it was me I would sell the one that yields more money and play Lingard before them every time.
How exactly is anyone being unfair? Personally, yesterday's performances means feck all, be it good ones or bad ones but being heavily involved means absolutely nothing if most of it was trying to be individualistic and missing a tap in. Januzaj was decent, didn't try to do everything by himself but was constantly looking for 1-2's in and around the box. If Januzaj had gotten the same number of chances Memphis did last season he would have undoubtedly done a lot more with them. In fact in the 2 PL games he did play he was probably better than memphis.

As it is, Memphis has shown nothing whatsoever and Januzaj showed something 2 years ago. Both have it all to prove going forward.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How exactly is anyone being unfair? Personally, yesterday's performances means feck all, be it good ones or bad ones but being heavily involved means absolutely nothing if most of it was trying to be individualistic and missing a tap in. Januzaj was decent, didn't try to do everything by himself but was constantly looking for 1-2's in and around the box. If Januzaj had gotten the same number of chances Memphis did last season he would have undoubtedly done a lot more with them. In fact in the 2 PL games he did play he was probably better than memphis.

As it is, Memphis has shown nothing whatsoever and Januzaj showed something 2 years ago. Both have it all to prove going forward.
I rate Januzaj higher because of that - his link up play is quite good, has an eye for a pass and decent close control. It's not coming together for him but we've seen his potential is high - contrary to Memphis who seems to be Eredivisie legend on the Cafe.

Loublaze

ATLien
Doesn't really mean much. It was obvious he wasn't all that.
Come on dawg you can't say that and mean it. He scored 30 goals for PSV the season before he signed for United. You can say the Dutch league is shit but 30 goals is impressive no matter which way you look at it

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Come on dawg you can't say that and mean it. He scored 30 goals for PSV the season before he signed for United. You can say the Dutch league is shit but 30 goals is impressive no matter which way you look at it

Jozy Altidore scored 30 goals for AZ in Holland a couple of years ago. Got a move to Sunderland and scored 1 goal in 41 league appearances

Mike09

I have a feeling he will go on loan. But we will cash him in if we receive a good price. We already have two raw players at the moment (Januzaj and Memphis). There is no point keeping both of them if they can't match our expectation. One of them will leave I reckon, or may be both of them. We will see what Mourinho is going to do soon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Memphis is clearly a talent who needs a psychological adjustment. Once he does that, the Memphis people previously expected with magically reemerge and the pitchforks will go away.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think there's plenty of talent there and we'd be silly to sell him after only a season, but he needs to seriously step up this season. If we don't see significant improvement then I'd say it's probably fair to get rid.

Womp

idiot
I don't understand where the talent people see in him resides TBH. He isn't a very good dribbler, his shots are erratic, he isn't a playmaker in that his passing is very basic. I just don't see it. He reminds me of Chicharito if he was deployed on the wing, only with worse finishing. He does have decent pace to burn though, I guess that's a plus.

Mike09

What is this "talent" that people are talking about? Talent to be a top class footballer or talent to be a top class freestyler? I can see talent in Martial and Rashford. I saw a lot of talent in Rooney and Ronaldo when they were young. But I can't see much in Memphis.

Memphis is very skillful player with a lot of tricks and has talent to be the best skiller, but that's not the main aspect to be a top class footballer. He's not that quick, his passing is so poor, he has no talent in his passing and vision, he's not intelligent because his decision making is poor, he doesn't have talent to dribble, losing the ball easily. Basically he is still raw. I will give him one more season since he scored 28 goals with PSV in one season. But if we sell him I don't think im going to complain after watching him last season I can't see much talent in him. If he is going on loan, I think it will also be good for him to impress Jose because he's not going to play ahead of Martial.

wiz4231

Jozy Altidore scored 30 goals for AZ in Holland a couple of years ago. Got a move to Sunderland and scored 1 goal in 41 league appearances
He's already doubled that 2 in 29 matches! He's better than jozy

MounchesterUtd

Looked like a different player but I don't think he's really good enough for this level. Won't be surprised if the Mendes nexus finds a way to flog him off for way above his value like they did with Luiz.

Silas

Looked like a different player but I don't think he's really good enough for this level. Won't be surprised if the Mendes nexus finds a way to flog him off for way above his value like they did with Luiz.
:confused: Looked like he was just picking up from where he left off last season to me.

I'm starting to doubt him now after being a big supporter all last season. No top player should be stabbing at the ball with the outside of their foot like he did on that cross, especially one who plays on the left. That's stuff he should have learned when he was 12. It's only one moment but it's not the first time he's left us scratching our heads. He's got pace and tricks but is his technique good enough for this level?

MounchesterUtd

:confused: Looked like he was just picking up from where he left off last season to me.
Maybe should've rephrased that as 'he looked like the shackles were off and he was playing more intuitively", but agreed with the general sentiments about him form the past page.

khoazany

The way it's going wouldn't be a surprise at all if he's sold.Mourinho might dislike Mata but he's not an idiot so there's no way Mata will be sold before Memphis (of course there's a chance that both will be).

kenny19

Everything he does is so labored. When he was younger he wasn't this casual on the ball. Now everything he touches takes so much effort.

It has to do with his muscle. Its' the only way I think.

ti vu

Everything he does is so labored. When he was younger he wasn't this casual on the ball. Now everything he touches takes so much effort.

It has to do with his muscle. Its' the only way I think.
I don't know when this younger period. I myself noticed he was not a smooth dribbler even in the World Cup. Haven't followed him until he signed for us, so at first thought he had matured, which he didn't. Very messi dribbling set of skills.

As someone mentioned, he is similar to Hulk, Cavani wing forward than a winger. Memphis may bring out some smooth dribbling vs a thinner defense when his confidence is high, but he is no way someone you rely to consistently make something happen with his play maker or dribbling.

Edit: Feck auto correct I meant messy

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

So I downloaded the full game and watched it and paid close attention to Memphis and he had nothing like the bad game made out. I think the problem is we are used to classical wingers like Giggs or Beckham, we're judging them on dribbling and crossing and beating a man one on one. He actually had a very intelligent game, good runs, link ups, through balls, creativity. He worked as a team player rather than Martials one vs everyone approach. He's actually quite like Lingard in this, another player who gets similar criticism for the same reasons. Think if you accept that modern wingers come in different styles people might just start to understand him rather than rage against every winger we get.

jojose

I cant decide if he is trying too hard, or not trying at all.

He has shown in very brief glimpses that he certainly has ability. But he needs to start showing it and a lot more regularly. Saturday was a chance for him to make sure he starts the next friendly........then the one after that etc. With Martial arriving late, he potentially had the chance to start the season.

I don't know if he realises that and is trying too hard. Or that he is totally oblivious to the opportunity that he has and is so arrogant / self obsessed that he thinks he's playing well.

It's hard to know what to do with him. If he is trying too hard and his cockiness / brashness is a smoke screen for an insecure person then making a show of him and hooking him after 20 minutes would finish him.

However, if he really is so cock sure of himself, making a show of him in this way might liven the fecker up.

I am not sure the muscle mass is helping him. He look enormous on sat.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People are reading WAY WAY too much into the first 45 minutes of pre season for god sake. He worked really hard and chased a lot of loose balls, how people can see that as "not trying" is beyond me. Yes he could have moved the ball a bit quicker but his movement was good as usual, he always gets into goal scoring positions. With players like Micky he will trust to make those runs more often.

People obviously don't like his brashness so have developed a dislike for him, he was nowhere near the worst player on the pitch.

Akshay

Staff
So I downloaded the full game and watched it and paid close attention to Memphis and he had nothing like the bad game made out. I think the problem is we are used to classical wingers like Giggs or Beckham, we're judging them on dribbling and crossing and beating a man one on one. He actually had a very intelligent game, good runs, link ups, through balls, creativity. He worked as a team player rather than Martials one vs everyone approach. He's actually quite like Lingard in this, another player who gets similar criticism for the same reasons. Think if you accept that modern wingers come in different styles people might just start to understand him rather than rage against every winger we get.
I'll have to watch the game again like you did but I didn't really see Memphis producing much in the way of creativity. Mkhi and Mata made good passes and created chances, I don't remember anything Memphis did like that. I liked Lingard's performance on the day better, actually.

Shiva87

He was strictly ok, based on these 45 mins. It looks like he cares once again, but he still is not being able to pull off what he wants to do. It looks like a confidence thing, and Mourinho is one of the best men to instill confidence in a player. Let's see how that works out.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He needs a season under Jose, then we will see. Writing him off is too soon and we only had 10 training days or so this season. Lets see if he can up his game. He deserves another shot for sure

acnumber9

He was strictly ok, based on these 45 mins. It looks like he cares once again, but he still is not being able to pull off what he wants to do. It looks like a confidence thing, and Mourinho is one of the best men to instill confidence in a player. Let's see how that works out.
It looks like an ability thing.

wiz4231

Spend too much time on the ball, he needs to start playing/making decisions quicker

Shiva87

It looks like an ability thing.
That's harsh. He definitely has the footballing ability to do well - question is application. To be fair, he just looks like one of those guys who bulked up too much and now has lost a little bit of his swiftness/mobility. Once he comes to terms with that, there is no reason why he can't do better. Unfortunately, I think it would have been better if we still had Nani (frustrating though he was) as compared to Memphis.

acnumber9

That's harsh. He definitely has the footballing ability to do well - question is application. To be fair, he just looks like one of those guys who bulked up too much and now has lost a little bit of his swiftness/mobility. Once he comes to terms with that, there is no reason why he can't do better. Unfortunately, I think it would have been better if we still had Nani (frustrating though he was) as compared to Memphis.
There really is nothing definite about it. It's been a year of performances that display very little ability.

keener

I went back and watched a youtube clip of all our goals from 2015 and 16 season and Memphis actually started very nicely. A good first month turned into something less that great and at this point, I'll echo many of your thoughts... he doesn't look like a Man Utd player to me. I also have zero expectations and/or excitement when he's on the ball... which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of when Martial touches the ball.

Clas Sified

As harsh as it sounds, I don't think it was a coincidence that all his best performances came against weaker teams (Club Brugge, Midtjylland, etc.) than teams he would normally face in the Prem. Unfortunately, I think that's his level at the moment and unless he significantly improves this season, I don't see a future for him at United.

Shiva87

There really is nothing definite about it. It's been a year of performances that display very little ability.
He had a few of them which were quite good actually. Champions league qualification games, Midtjylland, Arsenal come to mind. But these were too few and far between.

keener

Memphis vs Wigan... Sorry but this clip is uncomfortable and almost unwatchable. Had he made that curler from Shaw's back heel then we'd probably be ignoring how poor he actually played. This was bad.

Orange Tree

Maybe a loan back to PSV would do his confidence wonder. He seems to keep a good relationship with the club and the supporters there.

Status
Not open for further replies.