4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think that it's just that he plays well against poor teams. He looked fantastic against Midtjyelland, and yes they're a very weak team, but it wasn't just that. In that game he actually did so much more and tried so much more than he does usually. He ran with purpose and pace, he took defenders on, his passing and crossing were great and he was hitting shots on target. I could tell as the game was happening that he felt like he could beat them, and he did. Yes they were a weak team, but it's not as if all our other "top" players were making them look like mugs in the way that he was. A lot of our players looked as ordinary as they usually do.

He needs to sort out his head, I genuinely think that's the main thing. He also probably does need to lose some weight, as he looked much more agile for PSV when he wasn't so bulky. I'm not saying he'll be a worldbeater but he has more talent than he's shown for us, I'm sure of it. Having said that, the posters saying that it's worth nothing unless he can apply it in a match are totally right. I want him to have one more season with us to see if he can pull it back.
Yes he was very impressive vs them. I remember that game. It was probably the best individual performance from a player of ours last season.

We'll see how it plays out I suppose.

I want him to succeed. Got his jersey last season as soon as it came out. Even made a bold prediction he'd be our best player by the end of the season(last season) as I was impressed with his pre-season and all the positive news regarding the transfer.

Then again, I probably jinxed him. I got Di Maria's jersey when he came and we all know what happened afterwards.

criticalanalysis

I watched the whole game and I thought it was encouraging that undoubtedly he's put in more effort and cause for the team. He jumped for headers, ran the channels and did some decent hold up play.

The problem was it wasn't consistent enough and he botched one through ball when he should have done a bit better imo. Oh and he still played a bit poorly tbh.

He's our player, we shouldn't toss him out anytime soon but I'd give Januzaj his minutes anytime.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I wish Woody was there is Shanghai to make a deal with the local club for Depay & Rojo. We don't need to bring them back to Manchester.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Needs to at least go on a loan. Might suck for the morale for a bit because he seems to get along well with some of the other younger guys but if you keep putting in half assed performances compared to those who are younger and came with less of an established history, that cant be very inspirational for the teams belief in itself . would be easier to be patient if he wouldn't be so seemingly full of himself off the pitch. I don't mind a player being a bit cocky but he hasn't really earned the right (yet)

Oaencha

I think he will be given until January to impress. No point selling him now as his stock is really low; we would be lucky to get back even half what we paid for him. Buying players from the Dutch league is always a risk as the quality is so poor. There's way more chance of signing an Afonso Alves than a Suarez.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Absolutely, on top of his form Ando was unplayable and looked like the best midfielder in the league...He had everything....Such a waste of talent... I am not sure that is the case with Memphis....If he had a problem it is a psychological one and he must resolve it as soon as possible..
"Unplayable" :lol: Don't you think you are a bit OTT with the praise ?

flappyjay

The fact you cannot even state one thing proves it to me that there is none.
Lingard actually has better off the ball movement and is good at quick one two's(you have seen how he connects with Marcus and Anthony)unfortunately his finishing is below average. With lingard you can say if he works on his finishing he could become a very good squad player, on the other hand Memphis I cant see any outstanding quality. Maybe if he worked on his crossing he could be a good squad player too , his crosses aren't too bad. Lingard might not be better technically but he has a lot of things going for him than Memphis

flappyjay

Did destroy Slippy G in one game and did the same against Fabregas. In his first season he was even being hailed as Scholes long term replacement.

Footyislife

Needs a loan where he can play every game in one of the big leagues. He's putting too much pressure on himself. Still young enough to figure things out.

kouroux

Did destroy Slippy G in one game and did the same against Fabregas. In his first season he was even being hailed as Scholes long term replacement.
He did no such destruction, another example among thousands of others that caftards exaggerate one or two skills showed during games by a player who showed promise. Whoever praised him like that and even saw him as Scholes successor, was very stupid.

Slavkov

He did no such destruction, another example among thousands of others that caftards exaggerate one or two skills showed during games by a player who showed promise. Whoever praised him like that and even saw him as Scholes successor, was very stupid.
Well I do not exaggerate. His performance in the 2-2 draw vs Arsenal was magnificent. He did totally destroy Fabregas who at that moment was thought to be one of top central midfielders in the world. . Unfortunately he had like 3-4 performances of that high quality and some other a bit below that. I do not believe that he would be Scholes' successor even if he had been able to build on his talent. Unfortunately most of the time he did not show what he was capable of and in my opinion his career is one of the biggest wastes of talent in the last 20 years.

The problem with him was definitely his attitude and lack of effort but with Memphis I am not sure what the exact problem is. From what I have seen in Holland I am not quite sure that Memphis has Ando's talent but for me it is quite obvious that he has the talent to be a very good player. For an unknown reason (probably attitude or lack of confidence) we have not seen anything near what he is capable of and as the time passes by the chances of him succeeding are diminishing by the minute...

sammyvine

He looks like a body builder
Why the hell did the club allow him to bulk up so much?

kouroux

Well I do not exaggerate. His performance in the 2-2 draw vs Arsenal was magnificent. He did totally destroy Fabregas who at that moment was thought to be one of top central midfielders in the world. . Unfortunately he had like 3-4 performances of that high quality and some other a bit below that. I do not believe that he would be Scholes' successor even if he had been able to build on his talent. Unfortunately most of the time he did not show what he was capable of and in my opinion his career is one of the biggest wastes of talent in the last 20 years.

The problem with him was definitely his attitude and lack of effort but with Memphis I am not sure what the exact problem is. From what I have seen in Holland I am not quite sure that Memphis has Ando's talent but for me it is quite obvious that he has the talent to be a very good player. For an unknown reason (probably attitude or lack of confidence) we have not seen anything near what he is capable of and as the time passes by the chances of him succeeding are diminishing by the minute...
Fact is he didn't really. It was one nutmeg skill which got people overexcited.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Bug muscles dont equal pace... it equals more weight which will reduce pace. Proper form is key. Over sized muscles dont help needs to be balanced with the right amount of size for optimal efficiency . Depay would do well with some sprint coaching , preferably a Jamaican coach
Good idea. Can Usain lend us Coach Mills....?:drool:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Rubbish. You get faster lifting weights,not slower. Look at any 100m sprinter. They are massive. What he loses is agility and arguably some stamina running up and down. Bulking up does not equal losing pace.
As a footballer you need agility as well. Sprinters are runnning in a straight line or a bend now and again. Footballers need to be able to twist and turn defenders.

Slavkov

Fact is he didn't really. It was one nutmeg skill which got people overexcited.
Well there is no point to argue about because everybody is entitled to his own opinion but I am not talking about one nutmeg, I am talking that he was a driving force in our midfield and he easily bossed the game. He controlled it the way, let's say Keano used to in his prime but Ando provided greater creativity. That is what I meant mate...Anyway thanks for you opinion

kouroux

Well there is no point to argue about because everybody is entitled to his own opinion but I am not talking about one nutmeg, I am talking that he was a driving force in our midfield and he easily bossed the game. He controlled it the way, let's say Keano used to in his prime but Ando provided greater creativity. That is what I meant mate...Anyway thanks for you opinion
No argument needed indeed but that's madness (Keano style).

CamuNoir

It's good to see that many people finally realised that he is just a one lucky fraud.
I just don't get why some people still say he needs one more season because there's no point.

Jig1234

I think Memphis is going down the Antonio Valencia path :Strong, quick but limited footballing ability. Predictable.

Whereby he overcompensates the strength building and gym work. Which is important but in his case I think he over does it. Hes' got too much muscle to for his age and zero footballing ability.

It's amazing that that someone who looks so strong is incredibly pussyfooted at the slightest of contact.

He has no agility or any real sense of footwork. Not even sure what he is. LW-No.10-ST. He has been tried in all these positions and he still does not look like he is a better footballer than the likes of Januzaj, who has not done much himself.

If he can't convince us he is better than Young and Lingard. (who are squad level average) I realistic don't see him turning this around. Everything he tries doesn't work. No one can figure out his natural position as he looks awful in almost any.

'confidence is low' argument is wearing thin. Form dipping is a result of confidence being low but he has never looked like a Man United player. Like Zaha the club/shirt is too big for him.

I think a loan move would be wise. He is not going to get minutes.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think Memphis is going down the Antonio Valencia path :Strong, quick but limited footballing ability. Predictable.

Whereby he overcompensates the strength building and gym work. Which is important but in his case I think he over does it. Hes' got too much muscle to for his age and zero footballing ability.

It's amazing that that someone who looks so strong is incredibly pussyfooted at the slightest of contact.

He has no agility or any real sense of footwork. Not even sure what he is. LW-No.10-ST. He has been tried in all these positions and he still does not look like he is a better footballer than the likes of Januzaj, who has not done much himself.

If he can't convince us he is better than Young and Lingard. (who are squad level average) I realistic don't see him turning this around. Everything he tries doesn't work. No one can figure out his natural position as he looks awful in almost any.

'confidence is low' argument is wearing thin. Form dipping is a result of confidence being low but he has never looked like a Man United player. Like Zaha the club/shirt is too big for him.

I think he has very poor balance with the ball at his feet and I'm not sure what impact gaining more muscle has on that.

RedStarUnited

Bug muscles dont equal pace... it equals more weight which will reduce pace. Proper form is key. Over sized muscles dont help needs to be balanced with the right amount of size for optimal efficiency . Depay would do well with some sprint coaching , preferably a Jamaican coach
Memphis is just slow, he is not overly muscular at all and a coach cant make him any quicker. Lukaku for example, looks much more muscly but still relatively quick.

Jig1234

I think he has very poor balance with the ball at his feet and I'm not sure what impact gaining more muscle has on that.
I think it does. Considering how much muscle he has he is still a compete lightweight. Similar to Rooney, Stocky build terrible touch and close control. Perhaps I'm wrong maybe he is just terrible at football but I think it's a contributing factor that body shape and build does effect how one plays.

Januzaj has less muscle but is technically better than him and probably holds the ball better with his agility/dribble style.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't think he has any confidence left. Would be a big task for mourinho to get him perform at a consistent level. Maybe play him in cup games against weaker teams and build him up a little?
That's what LVG tried to do.
He played against lesser teams and did very well.
Then the very next games, against a EPL side, he turned to crap.
He would then play in the FA Cup and would do well
Then the next game he played in the EPL - played crap.

Basically, against lesser opposition (Bruge, Shrewsbury, Midgetland), he did well. But against all other EPL sides, he was consistenly bad.
His performance against Dortmund is exactly how he performed the whole of last season.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He needs to sort out his head, I genuinely think that's the main thing.
Again, this has been going on for a full season.
I can understand if a player becomes destablised, after having a great start, but Depay has performed the same, throughout the season.
He plays well against low grade teams. He plays bad against high grade teams. This has been the case across 30+ games and he has been consistent.

I don't understand how any fan who actually watched him play, can say that he is playing below par. He is performing consistently at "his" level. Playing badly against high grade opponents, is "his level" and he has played the same way for 30+ games.

ChaddyP

Memphis is just slow, he is not overly muscular at all and a coach cant make him any quicker. Lukaku for example, looks much more muscly but still relatively quick.

proper running technique can improve his speed. It can improve any one. I can see with my eyes he has no idea how to run properly. He could gain even half a yard

Distracted Steward

This is quite possible.

Young is versatile and one of the better crossers in the squad. He's a decent squad player, but still ahead of Depay. Lingard out works Depay to the point that he's also ahead of him. Shorter on talent but consistently out produces Depay. There's a lot to do for the young Dutchman to pass up either of them. He hasn't shown the sort of heart that it's going to take.

Still early, but if he doesn't show at least the mentality it'd be time to cut bait in January.

As for loaning him, I think that's a bad idea. He doesn't have the attitude. I don't see him doing much more on loan than Januzaj did. Sending someone off away from the club and away from in house mentorship isn't a good idea unless they've got it sorted between their ears. He's not a 16 yr old protégé that needs to toughen up in national conference or League 2 rigors. He needs to prove at United that he can buy into the United way of doing things. That should be the expectation at this point for him.

I may be wrong. Perhaps a loan to Everton or Southampton would humble him and lower the spotlight. I'd rather see Mourinho directly oversee him and make the call. Here come the de Bruyne comments.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The problems on the pitch actually have nothing to do with pace at all, no idea why that is brought up every second post.

Status
Not open for further replies.