Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
This is quite possible.

Young is versatile and one of the better crossers in the squad. He's a decent squad player, but still ahead of Depay. Lingard out works Depay to the point that he's also ahead of him. Shorter on talent but consistently out produces Depay. There's a lot to do for the young Dutchman to pass up either of them. He hasn't shown the sort of heart that it's going to take.

Still early, but if he doesn't show at least the mentality it'd be time to cut bait in January.

As for loaning him, I think that's a bad idea. He doesn't have the attitude. I don't see him doing much more on loan than Januzaj did. Sending someone off away from the club and away from in house mentorship isn't a good idea unless they've got it sorted between their ears. He's not a 16 yr old protégé that needs to toughen up in national conference or League 2 rigors. He needs to prove at United that he can buy into the United way of doing things. That should be the expectation at this point for him.

I may be wrong. Perhaps a loan to Everton or Southampton would humble him and lower the spotlight. I'd rather see Mourinho directly oversee him and make the call. Here come the de Bruyne comments.
If his ego is so fragile then being benched won't do much for him either.

He's not good enough to be forced into the line-up to play him into form.

Silas

Him departing in January if his performances don't improve is growing increasingly likely.

Litch

Maybe a step to far for him. He won't be the first or last here. Can't see where goes from here at the club as the opportunities to play have become even more limited with new signings. The more pressure on him, the more he appears to struggle.

Rossa

He did give Bellerin a good run for his money in terms of speed, so he isn't slow;he's just so damn inconsistent even in his physical attributes.

Distracted Steward

If his ego is so fragile then being benched won't do much for him either.

He's not good enough to be forced into the line-up to play him into form.
If he is all bad attitude and inflated ego, that may well be the case. If he can't muster the self-awareness and professionalism to seize substitute, lesser cup and rotation appearances while he works to improve, this probably isn't the he place for him. I don't suspect Mourinho would take too well to that.

K2K

If he is all bad attitude and inflated ego, that may well be the case. If he can't muster the self-awareness and professionalism to seize substitute, lesser cup and rotation appearances while he works to improve, this probably isn't the he place for him. I don't suspect Mourinho would take too well to that.
That is why for me a premier league loan would be better. It allows him to acclimatise to the league in a less cut-throat environment than United. And if he doesn't make it here ,means another premier league might be willing to take a chance on him.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Memphis has great ability in holding the ball up, I think he rely's on that it far too much, probably because he is indecisive, and that leads to mistakes.

Purely and simply put, that is what is wrong with him. He looks very ji-sung esq at times, i mean that in the least disrespectful way possible, he doesn't seem very decisive in much that he does, it all seems like it's getting away from him. If the coachign squad can help his meantality, and settle him down, I reckon he'll have a good season.

AgentP

Will Memphis ever get into our starting 11? Atleast last year, he got more chances because Martial was playing striker. He doesn't have the ability to play any other position as well. This could be his last year here.

R'hllor

Think his issue is in the head,sometimes he looks so depressed if he cant reach a ball (even its bad pass of his team mate) and stuff like that.Also,if i am not wrong he scored few free kicks in Dutch league before joining us,last season think only one of his free kicks passed a wall,i dont know,thats so weird in my books.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Will Memphis ever get into our starting 11? Atleast last year, he got more chances because Martial was playing striker. He doesn't have the ability to play any other position as well. This could be his last year here.
Starting 11?

He shouldn't make our bench never mind start games. feck knows why he's still at the club.

AgentP

Starting 11?

He shouldn't make our bench never mind start games. feck knows why he's still at the club.
True. I'm just hoping that somehow he'll turn it around. But he doesn't seem to have it in him. We should put the No.7 Jersey on cold storage for now. None of the players have been able to live up to it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Had a bad first season, but think his attitude and talent deserve another 12 months. And I hope the fans can support him.

If it doesn't work out after that, I'd loan him out in the hope he excels in a lower pressure environment and drives his price up.

K2K

Had a bad first season, but think his attitude and talent deserve another 12 months. And I hope the fans can support him.

If it doesn't work out after that, I'd loan him out in the hope he excels in a lower pressure environment and drives his price up.
That's the thing though.

A lot of us aren't convinced by the supposed 'talent'.

At least compared to the required United standard.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Memphis has great ability in holding the ball up, I think he rely's on that it far too much, probably because he is indecisive, and that leads to mistakes.

Purely and simply put, that is what is wrong with him. He looks very ji-sung esq at times, i mean that in the least disrespectful way possible, he doesn't seem very decisive in much that he does, it all seems like it's getting away from him. If the coachign squad can help his meantality, and settle him down, I reckon he'll have a good season.
At this point in time Memphis can only dream of being anywhere near Park Ji-Sung's level. Even at his worst towards the end of his spell with us Park delivered a lot more than Memphis has, and there hasn't been much evidence that things will change.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Memphis' so called talent is becoming a big myth. He's closer to Obertan levels than he's to Ashley Young.

Runner

someone needs to light a fire under his arse or he'll be the next Balotelli (minus the theatrics).

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That's the thing though.

A lot of us aren't convinced by the supposed 'talent'.

At least compared to the required United standard.
Yup. It's obviously open to debate. I think 12 more months is reasonable. But understand those that don't.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Looking a lot more confident and not fearful for trying things. Something which I thought was the case with players last season.

twitter thread suggester
The thing about Depay's game is that he will either look absolutely amazing or like a complete failure because he takes such big risks in his dribbling, flicks etc. - he would be a star in a lower league, but the margins are so tight in Premier League that more often than not he will miss the last percentages needed in order to pull off a flick or dribble.

pascell

Solid performance tonight I thought, you can see he's gradually growing in confidence. His little flicks etc reminded me of what Hazard pulled off in his stormer of a season. Still needs more games but good to see him trying tricks etc again.

ReDDHDevilS

Looked much more confident today. Something to build on. Needs to lose weight though, too sluggish for a wide player.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Great cameo, don't agree with anyone who can't see the talent, it's there, but obviously something huge has been missing this last year. Can be a top top player imo.
Agreed, it's flat out ignorance to say he doesn't have talent. His shortcomings are obviously in his head, it's whether we can get him playing with confidence on a regular basis will be the difficult part.

PTSTSL

Just watched Mata's goal back again and Memphis was also in there to tap it in if Mata hadnt. Last time he did that was Watford(?) away but I think he was played centrally that day. He seems like he'll have more freedom in this team.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Just watched Mata's goal back again and Memphis was also in there to tap it in if Mata hadnt. Last time he did that was Watford(?) away but I think he was played centrally that day. He seems like he'll have more freedom in this team.
Mourinho loves having the 3 behind the strikers interchanging position.

MD7

Lovely plays of Memphis. Good start, let's hope he can keep it up, and is able to provide some competition for Martial who is currently the LW

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If he steps up this season, then it goes without saying it's like a new signing. We'll have to wait and see but everyone looked positive when they came on. He looked sharp

RRCE

Memphis was much brighter today, which is great to see. That said, by the time he came on the match was effectively over. The times he did look good last year tended to be against lesser opposition or in low pressure situations. He can only play the minutes that were given to him, of course, and he played them well, but I don't think too much can be read into his performance. Hopefully it was a small step in the right direction. He's clearly talented, and he's going to get an opportunity this year. Let's hope he can become the player so many expected based upon his form in and for Holland.

Status
Not open for further replies.