Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I disagree.
His best season for Juventus was as AM/LM in 2015-2016 with Allegri. And his best form for us was in the last few games with Ole in a similar position not really 10 but slightly on the left in front of 2 midfielders. It's his best position but today he wasn't as good because we gave up our right side to Newcastle, the team became more static, the opponent could defend more easily on Pogba ( Martial and Rashford too ) because of that...

The best Pogba didn't play under Conte, Deschamps or Mourinho as DM/LCM but with Allegri and now Ole by playing him further forward :)
I have no issue with his inside left role. Today however, I found him getting he ball back to goal too often. And to me, that negates some of his best attributes.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He worked hard, kept it simple and waited for good opportunities to take. Enjoyed that, except he had little movement to work with, and also went hiding a bit himself a few times I thought. Very good run near the end, too bad the finish was slightly off.

Devil may care

Decent performance, they suffocated us for long stretches and he dug in, helped out Ander, got about them, tried to make things happen, won a couple of freekicks. It can't be like it's been the last 3 games every time out, but tonight he showed the grit needed in an uglier type of game and did well, should have passed to Lukaku at the end though.

:lol:

Ashley R1+O

I don't know why he kept pushing up on the left getting in Martial's way the entire time. A couple of times he was even up, looking for the overlap outside of Martial for some reason when the ball was being transitioned on the opposite flank. It was weird, even that chance in the first half that the keeper parried right into the big hole he was supposed to be operating in yet he was out by the touch line on the left walking up the line. *shrug*

At least he's actually trying to work to get into those forward positions now. His chance late on, should have been squared to Lukaku but I don't mind him trying to take that on. If he puts it in he looks like a genius and his individual work to get into that position was what made the chance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Found it difficult today but still had moments of class. Shame he didn’t tuck that away at the end!

feck off shelvey!! That was a disgraceful tackle. If he doesn’t get a 3 game ban I’ll be furious.

bananaman

Pretty obvious that pogba was being man marked this evening. Himself and mata realised that and that's why mata was coming in centrally and doing well. Biggest problem we had was the physicality of Newcastle on Rashford. He needed lukaku earlier to move Central and let him move wide.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The way he bashed shelvey was priceless, and that picture is just the icing on the cake :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wasn't at his absolute best today but the whole team looked a bit gassed. Still, kept it nice and simple and didn't cede possession unnecessarily, a mature performance. Helps that other players are contributing and we can win games even without him being at his best. Shelvey was a dick and I'm glad Pogba put him on his arse.

Raven

The way he didn't just let Shelvey get away with it was great.

What an immense athlete. His combination of power, speed, balance, flair and technique are just on another planet.

criticalanalysis

I have no issue with his inside left role. Today however, I found him getting he ball back to goal too often. And to me, that negates some of his best attributes.
I said something similar after the Cardiff game and a couple had a go at me thinking I was one of those, who followed the media narrative that he's overrated/a disgrace etc.

In that game, I felt he could have helped Matic and Herrera more by dropping faster or giving them an easier option. It may be tactical but he is sometimes too far up the pitch.

He's phenomenal facing towards the goal in the middle of the park but when he's virtually on the edge of the penalty box or high far left, against a compact team, he doesn't see the ball enough. Also because of this, he's in positions where he's not as efficient tracking back midfield runs or imo a bit too lacksidal (I'll refrain from using lazy here..).

It doesn't help that we have no width on the right with Lingard/Mata cutting in and clogging the centre. Sanchez showed in one action why he's a superior footballer/option with the athletic ability to support Lukaku, control the dodgy pass and dink it to Rashford.

Hopefully if Sanchez plays in a front three with Rashford and Martial, Pogba can drop a bit more and link up play.

meamth

That payback to Shelvey at the end. Roy Keane-usque there. Absolutely enjoyed it.

Looking at the state of this thread, I think Pogba needs to have Messi/Ronaldo level output to make people happy. Caf is ridiculous.

RooneyLegend

Played to much in attack yesterday so he wasn't as involved as he should have been. His passing is very important to starting our attacks. Him hanging around in attack and not getting the ball hurts us. Don't get me wrong, when the attack has started he can advance into the box or the final third but him starting there isn't going to help us.

Strangly he didn't do that in the past 3 games.

Golden Nugget

Came on expecting people to say how stupid that revenge tackle on Shelvey was and could have cost us, his hairs and celebrations are shit etc, but saw that everyone enjoyed the tackle as much as I did! Ole has definitely made United and Redcafe enjoyable again

staniswin

Having bad day but at least he put some effort . Under Mourinho would have stop trying today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If that shot from pogba had gone in I’d have won 200 quid on a €15 bet

Same in the last match where he hit the post. I had him in an acca to score from outside the box with €60 on it and the post denied me.

So bloody close to winning some nice cash. Pogba is a maverick. Let’s hope he keeps up this form until the end of the season and produces more often than not. I’m not betting on him against spurs so he’ll probably go and do all of the above : )

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That payback to Shelvey at the end. Roy Keane-usque there. Absolutely enjoyed it.

Looking at the state of this thread, I think Pogba needs to have Messi/Ronaldo level output to make people happy. Caf is ridiculous.
Caf is crazy. Unrealistic expectations all the time

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
First half he was forced to play in a phone booth due to us being lopsided and having no right wing. Otherwise could have easily had another goal this game but he won me over when he stuck it to jonjo

fellaini's barber

Yesterday he wasn't that effective which I attribute to us playing like we had been instructed to pretend like our right side did not exist. Newcastle had the whole left side on lock yet we kept persisting there till the subs, annoyed me a bit

Crashoutcassius

Thought he did well. Tbh he gave a benchmark performance that he hasn't been giving in these tough games for years. Herrera is going to be more important in the average game in my view.

Sylar

Dont mind these type of performances when things arent going well for him. Its still one that benefits the team as he kept things going and worked hard for the team defensively (something he wasnt doing earlier in the season).

tomaldinho1

Good enough for me - hard to impose yourself on this type of game but was always receiving the ball and did well defensively when needed. He's a midfielder, not Cristiano Ronaldo so it's ok him not scoring every game :)

I'd give him a 7/10 and that off the back of 3 excellent performances, which to me is the beginnings of some top level consistency. Real test now is Spurs against a far better midfield.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Good enough for me - hard to impose yourself on this type of game but was always receiving the ball and did well defensively when needed. He's a midfielder, not Cristiano Ronaldo so it's ok him not scoring every game :)

I'd give him a 7/10 and that off the back of 3 excellent performances, which to me is the beginnings of some top level consistency. Real test now is Spurs against a far better midfield.
In terms of actual central midfielders, I don't honestly know how good Spurs can be thought of. To me, it seems like a stand out weakness.

Red Stone

In terms of actual central midfielders, I don't honestly know how good Spurs can be thought of. To me, it seems like a stand out weakness.
Far better in comparison to what we've played against under Ole so far, I guess. I'd say our midfield beats theirs at the moment, though.

Renegade

To be fair, I think that post was clearly from him too and the heat was covered up by his management team. His posted a similar post about Shelvely with the same quote. Way to coincidental. I didn’t care either way though.
Regarding his performance yesterday. Not a great one but how much more mature was it? Too see him still bombing it into the box after 90 minutes was so encouraging. You can see his new sense of drive and purpose. Very unlucky with that last chance. Don’t under estimate the effect a positive dressing room and management set up can have a player.

tomaldinho1

I'm not sure who is fit for them currently but last time we played them (the 0-3 loss) Dembele, Alli, Dier, Eriksen were playing in a diamond and they completely destroyed us. I remember posting about how it was unfair on Pogba because he was our sole outlet who wanted the ball, every time he got it he was shut down by at least two guys and had an awful game. How much of that was down to Mou playing 5 at the back is hard to judge but they steamrolled us last time out.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I'm not sure who is fit for them currently but last time we played them (the 0-3 loss) Dembele, Alli, Dier, Eriksen were playing in a diamond and they completely destroyed us. I remember posting about how it was unfair on Pogba because he was our sole outlet who wanted the ball, every time he got it he was shut down by at least two guys and had an awful game. How much of that was down to Mou playing 5 at the back is hard to judge but they steamrolled us last time out.
The configuration in which they play is going to be important, if Eriksen is deeper then that can be a problem.

I really dont rate Alli or Dier though, they can be got at, moreso if they have Sissoko in there with them.

tomaldinho1

The configuration in which they play is going to be important, if Eriksen is deeper then that can be a problem.

I really dont rate Alli or Dier though, they can be got at, moreso if they have Sissoko in there with them.
Yh I agree on those players - it'll be a really interesting game in general because Spurs should really test us in every department. Realistically, they are favourites but at least we carry a goal threat now.

Status
Not open for further replies.