Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

Because they only count completed passes.
Bruno gets way too much credit for trying passes that were never even there in the first place but you have people praising Greenwood for shooting in every scenario known to man so virtues like pashun are definitely higher rated than playing with smarts. Because apparently our players can't be expected to be both effective, smart and efficient.

Last edited:

DepaysCowboyHat

He's gonna come back and drag us too 4th, thats 100p guaranteed.
Lets make the Pogfather an offer he cant refuse plz.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How the hell Bruno isn't in this list ?
Because they only count completed passes.
It not because it only counts completed passes, it's passes into final third, which means it is dominated by players who plays deeper role as they play passes from middle third to final third.

That's why players like Thiago, Kroos have around 10 and 11 passes into final third but around 1-2 passes into penalty box. Players like Bruno have 5 passes into final third but 2.5 passes into penalty box (highest is Messi with 4).

Also this is list of midfielders, Bruno is considered as attacking midfielder/Winger/Attacker for these comparisons.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, he already offered more than Sancho and Rashford this season so I'm glad if he can come back asap from his injury. Desperate for a creative player.

userman

The drama is Rangnick is a liar.
Well not necessarily, if Pogba's back for either of the Burnley- S'hampton- or Middlesborough matches I would say Rangnick was spot on with his estimate.

Last edited:

lost7

Well not necessarily, if Pogba's back for either of the Burnley- S'hampton- or Middlesborough matches I would say Rangnick was spot on with his estimate.
Ralph said this on the 8th of January:

"As far as I know, I was told a week ago, it would be a minimum of at least another four or five weeks before he is fit for training again,"

So based on that, the earliest he would be able to start training would be in February. Yesterday was the 17th of January...

Either our medical department was being extremely conservative with that estimate or Pogba had a miraculous recovery

Smores

"As far as I know, I was told a week ago, it would be a minimum of at least another four or five weeks before he is fit for training again,"

So based on that, the earliest he would be able to start training would be in February. Yesterday was the 17th of January...

Either our medical department was being extremely conservative with that estimate or Pogba had a miraculous recovery
So the week before the 8th which could be end of December depending on exactly when he was told.

So he could have been back after 3 weeks rather than 4? ITS A MIRACLE!!

Or you know injuries aren't an exact date.

Nicolarra90

Or Pogba just ran to the guys the moment he saw a camera and posed for the photo

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

We just need to wait his press conference and hopefully someone ask a question about Pogba or the injured players.

Rossa

Could he and Bruno play in that 4-2-2-2 role? We lose some pace, but Sancho doesn't enjoy that role, and Rangnick seems to prefer it to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Pogba has his limitations, but few are better at finding players on runs in behind. If we can find a midfield two that works, then he can be more creative and less defensive, which he should enjoy. Him finding Rashford and Ronaldo on runs could work very well..

Greck

Clearly time moves slower in Dubai. That Manchester cold climate recovery fasttracked everything.

sp_107

Obviously talking about selling him. Virus. Get rid.
He might have few stormers to impress Ralf or his would be new employers and then goes quite...or 1 good match out of 5.

Hopefully we dont get blindsided by that and renew his contract.....Better we sell him and bring in a player like DejJong / Fabian Ruiz / Gavi / Telemans / Bellingham along with another DM in the mould of Zakaria / Camara / Haidara / Touchameni

That would fix our midfield for reasonable amount of money as they wont cost us too much and we can also gain some money on selling players like Martial / Donny / Baily. we can also look at integrating Hannibal next season

peridigm

Could he and Bruno play in that 4-2-2-2 role? We lose some pace, but Sancho doesn't enjoy that role, and Rangnick seems to prefer it to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Pogba has his limitations, but few are better at finding players on runs in behind. If we can find a midfield two that works, then he can be more creative and less defensive, which he should enjoy. Him finding Rashford and Ronaldo on runs could work very well..
I don't think Pogba does well in a pressing system. Granted, we've not pressed a lot since the Palace match.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It not because it only counts completed passes, it's passes into final third, which means it is dominated by players who plays deeper role as they play passes from middle third to final third.

That's why players like Thiago, Kroos have around 10 and 11 passes into final third but around 1-2 passes into penalty box. Players like Bruno have 5 passes into final third but 2.5 passes into penalty box (highest is Messi with 4).

Also this is list of midfielders, Bruno is considered as attacking midfielder/Winger/Attacker for these comparisons.
I was just poking fun at a well-known criticism of Bruno. Not making an actual statement on the list or its validity.

lost7

Rangnick basically answers the question that a lot of people have asked here: should we be playing him if he's leaving in the summer?

“Yes, of course. I also played Nemanja Matic in the last games, and his contract is also expiring. By the way, my contract as the manager is also expiring in the summer, so for us we have the same goal. We have the same ambition to be as successful as we can possibly be in the next three or four months. For me, it’s not a question if a player has an expiring contract. The question is: how much does he still want to be part of this group? How much does he still feel emotionally and physically on board? As long as this is the case, why should Paul Pogba, now, after two and a half months of injury, being fully fit again [not play]? He wants to show the fans of Manchester United, the board, the whole world, what kind of player he can be. Even if it’s for only showing up for a new contract elsewhere, he will be highly motivated to do that, so why should I then not play him? But as I said, there is a difference of: how do players deal with their current situation? How do they handle that? If they handle that in a professional way, in an ambitious way, of course I can and will play players, although they have a contract expiring in the summer.”

Very intelligent response

lex talionis

Rangnick basically answers the question that a lot of people have asked here: should we be playing him if he's leaving in the summer?

“Yes, of course. I also played Nemanja Matic in the last games, and his contract is also expiring. By the way, my contract as the manager is also expiring in the summer, so for us we have the same goal. We have the same ambition to be as successful as we can possibly be in the next three or four months. For me, it’s not a question if a player has an expiring contract. The question is: how much does he still want to be part of this group? How much does he still feel emotionally and physically on board? As long as this is the case, why should Paul Pogba, now, after two and a half months of injury, being fully fit again [not play]? He wants to show the fans of Manchester United, the board, the whole world, what kind of player he can be. Even if it’s for only showing up for a new contract elsewhere, he will be highly motivated to do that, so why should I then not play him? But as I said, there is a difference of: how do players deal with their current situation? How do they handle that? If they handle that in a professional way, in an ambitious way, of course I can and will play players, although they have a contract expiring in the summer.”

Very intelligent response
Intelligent, but disingenuous to some degree.

Matic is winding down his contract, but it's well known that his legs are shot and we have no interest in extending his contract. Ralf walks at the end of the season, but that's by design.

If the questions posed above were serious, and perhaps they are, is there any question whatsoever that Pogba has answered them already in the negative?

edcunited1878

You're paying an employee weekly wages, as long as you're paying them, they are at your disposal...especially if they are training on your training facilities, wearing your kits, etc.

Paul won't be part of the squad selection until after the international break, so a lot of hot takes between now and then.

SAF is the GOAT

Rangnick on Pogba: “He wants to show the fans of Manchester United, the board, the whole world what kind of player he can be and even if it’s only to show enough for a new contract elsewhere, he will be highly motivated to do that and why should I then not play him?”
What the hell have I just read ?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Pretty sure he's wrong about Matic. His contract is up in 2023 I believe.
Pretty sure you’re right. We gave him 2 more years at the end of covid season so this season and next season. My god we are awful in the market. Awful. All the good teams now have mobile industrious midfields with enough legs for a whole season of pressing and we have this guy. For me it’s truly the same thing as just not signing anyone for the RW and using Mata in games. Pointless. Going sideways at best but backwards more often than not

Remember the geese

Pretty sure you’re right. We gave him 2 more years at the end of covid season so this season and next season. My god we are awful in the market. Awful. All the good teams now have mobile industrious midfields with enough legs for a whole season of pressing and we have this guy. For me it’s truly the same thing as just not signing anyone for the RW and using Mata in games. Pointless. Going sideways at best
Tragic state of affairs when this guy is the only legitimate candidate we have in the current squad who can play as a 6.

lex talionis

We should just let Pogba walk. There's no need to trouble him with any further responsibilities on the pitch.

redshaw

I guess there's an international break coming if Pogba is getting ready to return.

Tyrion

for all his faults, boy do we miss him in midfield.
I suppose. We lack creativity which he has. He just brings other problems.

Maybe we'll actually try him in a 3 given Ralf spoke well of him and doesn't trust adding Donny to McFred. Seems almost impossible to get Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo all working in the same team though.
I always thought he didn't work in a 2. He doesn't work hard enough and his positioning is bad. He needs two others to cover him (or Kante which is the same thing).

I think we could have one of Pogba or Bruno along with Ronaldo but we'd have to choose between Pogba and Bruno. I think a 3 man midfield is best with a passer, creator and defender. Bruno and Pogba is too reckless and careless and they wouldn't control a game or defend well.

In Rainbows

What the hell have I just read ?
It's pretty obvious. If in the hypothetical, Pogba is only interested in playing to raise up his future wages, why would you not play him by taking advantage of that motivation if it coincides with United's goal of winning trophies? He's saying that United would "use" him to their advantage.

Greck

Jeez RR basically said it doesn't matter that our long term goals may be different if our short term goals are the same. Logic over sentiment.

Have you ever had a colleague you don't personally like but is useful to the job? Treat it like that and don't moan because RR doesn't despise all the players you despise.

Status
Not open for further replies.