Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
With outgoings and only £55m spent so far we can easily afford the fee. I reckon Mourinho got about £200m + outgoings to toy around with.

You know football and the PL has become crazy when you just toss around those numbers. It is insane.

dove

Pogba is overrated and isn't worth the money quoted for him at all.

I'm of the school of spending on forwards more than midfielders, madrid and barcelona never felt the need to break records for a midfielder but wouldn't hesitate to do so for the likes of neymar, suarez, bale and ronaldo. Ultimately i believe attacking players make a bigger impact and you could find plenty of capable midfielders that wouldn't cost more than 40m and get the job done.

If i have to choose a galactico signing for the summer it'd be griezmann.
:D

Not really sure if you are serious here. Midfield is a vital part of the team. Forwards are usually going for a bigger price because they... score goals, do some eye catching skills etc. Midfielders role is completely different. You are probably also one of those people who thinks that anyone can be a goalkeeper in a good team as it's not important but again these positions are key for the team.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Comparing Yaya to Pogba :lol:

Toure was a benchwarmer at Barca on his peak. Pogba has twice the talent. Typical English to overrate premier league based players.

That said, Pogba still has lots to learn.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
This thing about being third choice being a problem is rubbish.

If Barca and Madrid were his preference, it doesn't mean he'd sulk at the thought of coming to United and underperform. First of all, he's always spoken well about the club, so it's clear he has a fondness for the place. Secondly, he'll be playing under one of the best managers in the world, in a squad which, with him included would be genuine title contenders. We don't know everything about his character, but we can be fairly sure that would motivate him.

Also if his ultimate dream is Barcelona or Madrid, it's probably because it's the best chance to win a top league and compete for Champions League titles. Surely, if he ended up here, we could soon offer him those opportunities.

And finally, if it's just a thing he has for either of the Spanish giants and no matter what we do he'll want to leave, his dream move won't come about by underperforming with us. He'd surely want to prove himself with us and make Barca or Madrid come in for him. If this is the case, we'd get 2/3 good seasons from him and more than likely make a profit on him.

If we have any chance of signing him, we should take it.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Kaka used to play behind inzaghi, or is he a box to box midfielder now?
so wingers, forwards, and attacking midfielders are ok to spend big, but not a box to box midfielder?

Womp

idiot
People are actually complaining that we are trying to sign one of the most talented youngsters in world football who is already a top class midfielder? :wenger:

Why does how much we pay bother anyone? It's not your money, if the club thinks it's worth paying I don't see what the issue is. It's a position we have been underwhelming in for years now, it'll be refreshing to see someone in the midfield who can actually play football for a change.

ReDDHDevilS

I'm not a big fan of Pogba and neither do I think spending 100m on him is a good idea but people who are complaining about the transfer fee, why should it bother you if we pay 1m or 100m for a player? The only concern should be whether it'd limit our spending on other areas that need to be addressed. If it doesn't, then it's totally up to the manager how he wants to spend the money.
You can't whinge about transfer fees while at the same time criticizing Galzers for lining their own pockets.

Bojan11

Toure was a benchwarmer at Barca on his peak. Pogba has twice the talent. Typical English to overrate premier league based players.

Yaya was a regular for Barca until busquets came along in 2009.

But no shame in not getting in a midfield that consists of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. So not sure what the smiley is for. Pogba wouldn't get in ahead of any of the above too. Are you going to laugh at that?

People remember the Yaya of last season. His first three seasons at City he was brilliant. Scored 20 plus goals in a midfield two.

United Pro

But no shame in not getting in a midfield that consists of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. So not sure what the smiley is for. Pogba wouldn't get in ahead of any of the above too. Are you going to laugh at that?

People remember the Yaya of last season. His first three seasons at City he was brilliant. Scored 20 plus goals in a midfield two.
Comparing Pogba to a peak Yaya is actually quite the compliment as Pogba isn't near that level yet. However, Pogba definitively has the potential to surpass that peak level.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I feel like this signing would rebalance the club's standing in world football post Ronaldo exit.

jesperjaap

Sorry that is utter bollucks. Toure was integral in the Barcelona side behind Xavi and Iniesta. Then along came Busquets. Spanish sides dont seem to really appreciate these types of players, look at Madrid and Makelele. I dont like Toure, the wages, crap his agent comes out with etc makes me think what a twat, but he was a top player at Barcelona and a top player in his prime at City as well.

I agree Pogba has more talent....but currently he isnt at the level Toure reached, in a year or two I think he will surpass it though.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Some of you lot are crazy.

I mean for a few million you could a couple of lads from Brazil and South Korea that would be equal to the same job.

Madness.

jesperjaap

I'm not a big fan of Pogba and neither do I think spending 100m on him is a good idea but people who are complaining about the transfer fee, why should it bother you if we pay 1m or 100m for a player? The only concern should be whether it'd limit our spending on other areas that need to be addressed. If it doesn't, then it's totally up to the manager how he wants to spend the money.
You can't whinge about transfer fees while at the same time criticizing Galzers for lining their own pockets.
Agree, I am a fan of Pogba, I think 100m is too much....but I dont care either. Would I rather we spend 100m of money that has nothing to do with me and then watch my beloved side with Pogba in central midfield, or that we drop interest due to the fee that has noting to do with me and I watch Fellaini in our midfield next season.

Someone

Something
so wingers, forwards, and attacking midfielders are ok to spend big, but not a box to box midfielder?
I didn't say spending on midfielders is not ok, you get the impression here that you can't get any top midfielder for half the money quoted for pogba, even though the current best midfielders in the world like modric and kroos didn't cost that much, bayern got vidal for how much and signed renato for what 40m euros?

All i said was that if we're going to break a transfer record, we better do it on an exceptional forward, like real did with ronaldo and bale, and barca did with neymar and suarez. Central midfielders don't cost as much and that's why barca and real seem to be backing away from the deal.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
But that's not the money you spend on potential, hence why barcelona and real seem to be shying away from that deal.

For that kind of money we should be looking at tier 1 footballers, we're breaking a record here, that's the money you pay for suarez or bale, not for a potentially top midfielder like pogba. There won't be any resale value if he fails to reach his potential.
I think it's more because 1. Pogba doesn't fit Barca's style, 2. Barca have a very limited budget, 3. Real already have Kroos and Modric in his position.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People are actually complaining that we are trying to sign one of the most talented youngsters in world football who is already a top class midfielder? :wenger:

Why does how much we pay bother anyone? It's not your money,
if the club thinks it's worth paying I don't see what the issue is. It's a position we have been underwhelming in for years now, it'll be refreshing to see someone in the midfield who can actually play football for a change.
Because a lot of pains do engage in these never ending battles with opposition fans and ultimately Utd is nowadays considered as a club that overpays for any player (whether he is young, old, confirmed or raw). People don't like their clubs criticzed, I don't agree with this view but I'm sure it plays a role in how fans don't like the club overpaying.

eggwithsideburns

If he really wants to go to Barcelona at some point in his career then I cant see him joining Madrid any time soon because that will ruin his chances of going to Barcelona. For Pogba it seems the best solution to join us and progress and then years down the line go to Barcelona if they come calling, we could make a profit or maybe if were really challenging again he can stay here longer.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto

Sure, Yaya had impressive physical attributes and a good shot. Being in the premier league with so much space and opportunities to score also helped his type of game. But then Pogba is much more than that. Although not as strong, he has a stellar technique, first touch, vision, work rate (like it was shown tonight) and, unlike Yaya, the right attitude.

Yaya Toure was an excellent player but last season wasn't just one off. It's closer to his real level than you might think. His limitations were just more exposed. When the team needed mental strength, he pussied out. When the team had less space to work with, he couldn't create chances, and so on.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Madrid can't afford him? If then it is that Madrid don't want to pay over the odds.
But no way can they not afford him. Yep their already huge commercial value must have decreased by winning 2 CLs in the last 3 years plus the CL money itself.

Dr. J

Let's say this is true, do we really want a player for which we were his third choice?
So long as he doesn't sulk, and United is smart enough to include something into his contract that says he can't leave for Spain within a certain amount of years for anything less than United paid--then yes.

LazyBones

Well, yes, if the person you're arguing with had only ever seen that one game of football.
:lol:
Exactly he was playing in a good French team against Iceland. One can not say he is one of the best in the world from this game

Andy_Cole

If he goes to Madrid, then we just need to pluck Kroos or Modric from them - one will have to be dropped.
Do they?

Could they not play this:

Bale-------Benzema--------Ronaldo
-------------Pogba------------------
------Kroos-------Modric-----------

I suppose Casemiro was an important player for them though. But could be rotated in for the big games.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Because a lot of pains do engage in these never ending battles with opposition fans and ultimately Utd is nowadays considered as a club that overpays for any player (whether he is young, old, confirmed or raw). People don't like their clubs criticzed, I don't agree with this view but I'm sure it plays a role in how fans don't like the club overpaying.
I dont mind over paying on a top talent. DiMaria turned out a poor signing for many reasons and the fee was too high, but we got most of our monehy back anyway. What I dont like is when we over pay on players in my opinion that are average at the very best....like Schneiderlin and Fellaini. We will probably lose just as much if not more money paying £100m fro Pogba and selling him in three years as we would Schneiderlin and Fellaini, current case if reporst are true for Mata who I rate but never wanted for us.

Forgettting wages the net spend on DiMaria will probably turn out to be far less than it has been on many of the really average signings we have made the last three or four years and if we get him I would expect similar for Pogba.

Saying that I am happier when we buy younger plaers cheaper and turn them in to stars. But that is a gamble in itself. The potential in 3 years or so of Pogba, Mensah and Perreira as our midfield is immense, but as several cases like Januzaj and Ravel Morrison have shown, potential is just potential.

Gasolin

Some of you lot are crazy.

I mean for a few million you could a couple of lads from Brazil and South Korea that would be equal to the same job.

Madness.
What are you talking about? What does South Korea has to do in all of this lol.

ti vu

Do they?

I suppose Casemiro was an important player for them though. But could be rotated in for the big games.
You already have all the answers. Remove Casemiro and use your line up is potential Galaticos - Makelele MK2

What are you talking about? What does South Korea has to do in all of this lol.
You can't tell? Hint: research Pogba self claimed reason for leaving United. There was something to do with Brazillian and South Korean too. That poster is pretty deep.

RetroStu

Do they?

Man what a fecking team that would be lol.

ChaddyP

Do they?

they did that (albeit with James) and got blitzed. they need kante not Pogba

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
I feel like this signing would rebalance the club's standing in world football post Ronaldo exit.
And then we would play Rooney as a midfield partner to Pogba...

Fortis Mente

Do they?

I don't think Zidane would play this midfield because it is unbalanced, as there is no defensive midfielder.

jesperjaap

Sure, Yaya had impressive physical attributes and a good shot. Being in the premier league with so much space and opportunities to score also helped his type of game. But then Pogba is much more than that. Although not as strong, he has a stellar technique, first touch, vision, work rate (like it was shown tonight) and, unlike Yaya, the right attitude.

Yaya Toure was an excellent player but last season wasn't just one off. It's closer to his real level than you might think. His limitations were just more exposed. When the team needed mental strength, he pussied out. When the team had less space to work with, he couldn't create chances, and so on.
Disagree, he is just past his peak. It is like saying Schweinsteiger hasnt been a top player judging him on the last couple of years.

He has been superb as a player for most of his career I have watched him when at Monaco (when he was more an attacking player similar to Pogba), at Barcelona doing a lot of the hard work to allow Xavi and Iniesta more freedom in front and at City where he was probably the leagues best player for a couple of years.

A lot of Pogbas attributes are physical just as they are for Renato Sanchez. I am not disagreeing with you that Pogba has more talent than Toure. I totally disagree with you ridiculing people comparing the players when Pogba isnt yet at the level Toure reached.

LouisDanGaal

Do they?

That would serve you extremely well on Fifa, not so much in real life. It's not like any of the front three get back at all so that team is about as way too wide open to function. They already don't get the best out of kroos because all he can really do is defend in the system as he has to fill in for everyone else, if they stopped playing casemiro you're sacrificing a better midfielder than Pogba in kroos.

Gasolin

You already have all the answers. Remove Casemiro and use your line up is potential Galaticos - Makelele MK2

You can't tell? Hint: research Pogba self claimed reason for leaving United. There was something to do with Brazillian and South Korean too. That poster is pretty deep.
Something to do with Anderson and Park then? Well, yeah... I like the search function but sometimes it's really not easy to use. Anyway, point taken indeed, there's not much you can do if Pogba does not want to come back to United to work with Mourinho.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Firstly, your not in a position where you are in control of Manchester Utds finances (unless I've missed something) so do you really have so little faith in the people in charge that they can't manage the clubs money. If there's one area where Woodward and the club cannot be doubted it's financially as we have grown from strength to strength into a commercial beast so I'm sure these commercial men can control the transfer budget.
I never said i was in charge or knew the specifics of our finances beyond what United discloses as a publicly owned company. But i do read it and understand our spending power is related to our revenue generation and brand leverage as we don' have a rich benefactor. Our commercial revenue and premier league revenue is booming. But so are other teams in our league. If we don't spend well, we can't afford to shrug of our poor investments as other clubs are catching up. If we didn't have Mourinho our ability to pull the big players would almost be non-existent. So it behooves us to spend smartly on players that can bring us success. 3 years is a long time to be irrelevant it already shows.

While i think we are overpaying for him, I also said in the second half of my statement we should sign him regardless of the cost as he improves us in position of need.

If Mourinho chased Griezmann at the beginning of the transfer window, we'd have him here for about 50-60 mill. And Kante for 30-40 mill. Which adds up to what we are going to spend for Pogba. Not my fault that we wait until market leverage changes out of our favor.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Agreed, we've already shown that we mean business come next season but signing Pogba on top of all that would be a massive statement and a feckin icing factory on the cake. If a lot of the other big clubs were/are after him and he signs for us, that would mean a lot. That wasn't apparenly the case with Di Maria (who wanted to go to PSG) or Zlatan (who is a short term luxury signing).