Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

LouisDanGaal

I think he actually was quite good. Didn't have any real highlight moments but his technique on the ball and little flick ons always seemed to get him out of very tight spaces. Certainly not his best game but still a fairly good performance.
He wasn't bad at all, but he is getting judged by the very highest standards which is fair enough considering he's being mooted as the next big big player.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
He wasn't bad at all, but he is getting judged by the very highest standards which is fair enough considering he's being mooted as the next big big player.
According to some he is already the best midfielder in the game.

LouisDanGaal

According to some he is already the best midfielder in the game.
I'm saving judgement to the end of the tournament but from the times I have seen him he is nowhere near Veratti, Modric, Busquets or Iniesta, probably a few more like Koke too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
But Pogba coached by Mourinho and played as an hybrid #8/#10 would be perfect, Pogba needs to join a top manager.
Played as a hybrid #8/#10? That's where he always plays. His game is not going to change.

I think Pogba suffers from mistaken perceptions because of his physique. People look at him and think wow, big guy, must be the new Viera. That's a mistake. Pogba is, and has always been, an attacking midfielder. At Juve he has always been the most advanced midfielder, whether alongside Pirlo and Vidal in the past, or Khedira and Marchiso now. That's where he thrives, that's where you get the best out of him. Deschamps sees that, which is why Matuidi and Kante started with Pogba in midfield last night.

I think the Gerrard/Toure comparisons are quite apt. Pogba doesn't share their traits. He does operate in the same areas as those two however. Pogba comes alive when attacking, and like most attacking midfielders its a bit unfair to suddenly expect him to become Didier Deschamps when your team hasn't got the ball. Pogba will never be Clarence Seedorf or Fernando Redondo. That is not his game.

Maybe Pogba could become a great midfield general if he really wanted to, why would he want to though? What's in it for him? He's winning Serie A after Serie A at Juve, he has teams built around him and his love of attacking. Why would he feel the need to change his game? I think if Mourinho managed Pogba, unless he ditched Rooney and played Pogba at #10, they'd fall out fast.

I'm saving judgement to the end of the tournament but from the times I have seen him he is nowhere near Veratti, Modric, Busquets or Iniesta, probably a few more like Koke too.
All depends on the role. Pogba is a very good advanced midfielder. You can't compare him to many of those midfielders because, besides Iniesta (who is better than Pogba), all of them are midfield generals. It would be fairer to assess Pogba against #10s like De Bruyne or Coutinho. That is the part of the pitch in which he operates. He is not an #8 like Veratti or Modric or Koke, nor is he a #6 like Busquets.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Gerrard and Toure are very different
Gerrard much better player for me at his pomp. He was an all action attacking mid with brilliant tackling ability. Both can't control a game v top possession focused teams but Gerrard could drag average teams to victory.. Toure couldn't imo his personality is shit.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Gerrard much better player for me at his pomp. He was an all action attacking mid with brilliant tackling ability. Both can't control a game v top possession focused teams but Gerrard could drag average teams to victory.. Toure couldn't imo his personality is shit.
I think that's slightly unfair on Toure. In 2013/14 Yaya Toure was a massive reason as to why City eventually won the title, albeit Liverpool slipping up also contributed hugely. There were some games that season where Toure drove forward from midfield and just smashed shots in. Gerrard had the advantage of doing it in one off TV events, Toure's 'inspirational' performances came across 38 game seasons more.

The general point of Pogba being closer to Toure and Gerrard than say Xavi and Kroos I totally accept though. Pogba is not a controlling midfielder in any sense of the word. He is not the metronome that makes the team work. He is not the guy you go to get a foothold over the tempo of a game and start grinding down the other side. He is not the one who bullies the other team's midfielders into submission and lets your side take charge. Pogba is the player who comes out with a magical moment, and beats the opposition keeper from 30 yards after a cheeky flick over someone's head. If Pogba was 5'9" people would understand his game better.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think last night will do him the world of good. You could see the look of puzzle on his face as he was being substituted, like he has some god given right to stay on the pitch because of who he is. Fact is his sub was deserved, as he was offering nothing at that time and will serve as a good kick up the arse for him.

I think the problem is this lad is starting to get a bit carried away believing the hype surrounding him. When enough people say he's one of, if not the midfielders in the game it will go to his head, and that is clear to see with the arrogance he displays.
Arrogance?

Pogba's been the exact same way (mannerism wise) he was last night since he was at our academy. It's just the way he is; I'm not sure that equates to arrogance. His seemingly nonchalant demeanour gives a false impression, I think.

He shows how much he cares with all his strops and moody moments. He's got a lot in common with C.Ronaldo in that sense.

sammyvine

Gerrard is so underrated
Have no clue why people don't rate him

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Gerrard is so underrated
Only by United fans and it's only because of the Liverpool connection I expect.

Awesome player in his day.

vk20legend

I don't see the point of pursuing this player. We messed up with his contract situation and let him go for free, now to buy him at those prices quoted would be make very little business sense.

Even assuming we have a 150M transfer budget or even say 200M, what is the point of spending the bulk of it on a player who should have already been here.

He might be a once in a generation player, but right now we don't have the luxury to spend the bulk of our budget on one player. We still have a lot of gaps to be filled in our squad and that 120M euros could probably buy at least 3 solid players who will improve our sqaud..

Is he currently that much of a difference maker that he is worth the price of 3 solid players?! Now if it was Muller who can provide the goals and can play different positions and for that productivity I'd say it might be worth the price. And even that would be debatable..

A chance to build a stronger squad with our transfer budget right now trumps going after Pogba. I hope we come out and say we're not in for him or brief the press so that we don't see idiotic articles later where they say we were snubbed..

Need of the hour is a RW, FW, another CB and a CM. We should just chalk Pogba as the one that got away and move on.. Just my two cents..

ShoePolish

Marca reporting that Real needs to shell up 120 mil PLUS Toni Kroos if they want Pogba.

Rory 7

I know I'm gonna get laughed out of school for this but....

I wouldn't want him anywhere near United. Everything about him annoys me. His long gangly legs. That stupid haircut. The fact that he left United without having the patience to win his place. Don't want him. Now. I've said it.

LouisDanGaal

I know I'm gonna get laughed out of school for this but....

I wouldn't want him anywhere near United. Everything about him annoys me. His long gangly legs. That stupid haircut. The fact that he left United without having the patience to win his place. Don't want him. Now. I've said it.
Probably should take into account his footballing ability somewhere in your reckoning. Below haircut but above gangly legs probably.

Rory 7

Probably should take into account his footballing ability somewhere in your reckoning. Below haircut but above gangly legs probably.
Nope. I'm going to be totally up front on this. I don't like his style of play either. Not my type of midfielder. I'd take a Keane over a Viera any day. Pogba reminds me of Viera. Do not want.

cyberman

Marca reporting that Real needs to shell up 120 mil PLUS Toni Kroos if they want Pogba.
So he's staying then and we pretend he is the best in the world in his position and that every club wants him badly.
Until it comes time to test that want and nobody comes forward to seal the deal.
I wonder why?

Kag

Gerrard is so underrated
Indeed. It's because we're a United forum. To keep this thread on some kind of tangent, Pogba isn't anywhere near the player that Gerrard was. Not yet, anyway.

Pogba is very good, but there's definitely credence to the argument that he's more of a highlights player, famed for moments of genuine brilliance as opposed to consistent midfield domination. But then perhaps others (and I) are expecting too much. Perhaps he's just not that kind of player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nope. I'm going to be totally up front on this. I don't like his style of play either. Not my type of midfielder. I'd take a Keane over a Viera any day. Pogba reminds me of Viera. Do not want.
Insulting Vieira wasn't necessary.

Rory 7

Imagine a United fan with our midfield saying they don't want Viera. Pogba isn't anywhere close to Viera yet.
I said I prefer a Keane style midfielder to a Viera style midfielder. Thats what I said. And yes. If I had the choice I would choose Keane over Viera.

sammyvine

Indeed. It's because we're a United forum. To keep this thread on some kind of tangent, Pogba isn't anywhere near the player that Gerrard was. Not yet, anyway.

Pogba is very good, but there's definitely credence to the argument that he's more of a highlights player, famed for moments of genuine brilliance as opposed to consistent midfield domination. But then perhaps others (and I) are expecting too much. Perhaps he's just not that kind of player.
I never understand things like that
Because a player plays for a rival club we can't say he's good? I mean football is an eye test. We all see how good a certain player is.
He was a very complete player for and his loyalty towards Liverpool prevented him winning far more imo

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gerrard is so underrated
In his prime Gerrard could play everywhere, he had it all, he was one of the most polyvalent players i've seen out there. I'm with you and think Gerrard is underrated on the caf.

Apart from having a lot of 'ordinary' team mates around him, he had 'a problem' in the 'big' games. Almost always something bad did happen, a lot of times he ended up being the laughing stock.
Some people still wonder what could have been if Gerrard left for Chelsea back in the day. Jose Mourinho always rated him.

RooneyLegend

I said I prefer a Keane style midfielder to a Viera style midfielder. Thats what I said. And yes. If I had the choice I would choose Keane over Viera.
I understand the United bias in this argument, but what about Viera's game didn't you like? or that you thought was lacking comparatively to a Keane.

RooneyLegend

In his prime Gerrard could play everywhere, he had it all, he was one of the most polyvalent players i've seen out there. I'm with you and think Gerrard is underrated on the caf.

Apart from having a lot of 'ordinary' team mates around him, he had 'a problem' in the 'big' games. Almost always something bad did happen, a lot of times he ended up being the laughing stock.
Some people still wonder what could have been if Gerrard left for Chelsea back in the day. Jose Mourinho always rated him.
If you didn't rate Gerrard in those days there was something wrong with you.

Reynoldo

My concern is that Pogba seems to play only for Pogba, like Ronaldo but Ronaldo has the end product so it doesn't matter with him. Pogba tends to go missing in games and every now and then turn up with a worldie.

phepheshane

Say what?
Fantastic post , except for that word I don't understand :mad:

Von Mistelroum

Papers seem sure he's signing for Madrid and sorting out terms now. Alternatives anyone? I still think we should grab Andre Gomes before anyone else does, otherwise we're likely to be replying on Carrick next season.

ReDDHDevilS

Although I'm not a big fan of Pogba (mainly because I don't like casual approach on the pitch) but I find it very unfair to say Pogba isn't as good as Yaya or Gerrard when we've seen both Yaya and Gerrard in their prime where as the level of performance we're seeing from Pogba we don't know whether if it's his best or if it's not even a fraction of his true ability. Comparing him against players of similar age group is more apt hence the likes of Verratti, Koke or even Kroos are a better gauge than someone who has already retired or about to retire.

I don't think Pogba and Gerrard are similar in any way, shape or form. To begin with, Gerrrard wasn't technically good but he'd a strong engine that enabled him to make lung-busting runs up and down the pitch all game long. Gerrard was very dynamic, very passionate about the game and it reflected on the pitch through his willingness to get involve in every possible way where as Pogba doesn't show a fraction of that hunger or desire. Even a compilation video of Gerrard would show lots of lunging tackles, strong runs up and down the pitch, some Hollywood passes and some bullet shots. A Pogba compilation on the other hand, would have some deft touches, nice flicks, some dazzling dribbles, some Beckham-esque crosses and some bullet shots.

Pogba isn't Yaya either. Yaya started his career in defense before transforming himself into a box-to-box beast so the laziness he displays nowadays wasn't always like this and I think it's partly because of his age his big frame doesn't allow him to do things that he's supposed to and partly because it's also become a mental issue too. Yaya uses/used his big frame to his advantage which Pogba rarely does.

Purely in terms of style and approach, I find Pogba more comparable to Balotelli although they play in different positions. Both have big frame, strong physique which they rarely use, both have good technique although Pogba is way better technically and in Balotelli's case it at times gets blown out of proportion, both show a serious lack of interest in the game while on the pitch, both can come up with a moment of brilliance which in Pogba's case happens more frequently and in Balotelli's case the very few times it happened the media milked it dry, and both could offer so much more yet they hardly do so.

To get the best out of Pogba the manager must come up with a plan so that it forces Pogba to get involved in the game more otherwise he won't. He needs to be played high up the pitch with very little to no defensive responsibilities. A 3 men midfield of Pogba, Kroos and Kante would struggle in my opinion because Kante won't be able to cover both Pogba and Kroos' backs but a Pogba, Modric/Busquets, Knate combo might potentially work. Probably a 4312 formation would get the best out of Pogba where there are 3 midfielders playing behind working their socks off as well as in this system the No10 normally gets involved in the game more. And with him playing so further up the pitch, a deft touch, flick or dribble can potentially unlock/open up any defense. Not to mention his good shooting technique would become very handy too.

If France drop Pogba and play Payet there who is in great form and can do almost everything that's expected from Pogba, people probably wouldn't even notice it. With their current 3 men midfield in Pogba, Matuidi and Kante I believe they'd probably struggle to control game against most decent sides and would probably have to rely on some magic moments like yesterday's game even though they're a very strong side and shouldn't be relying on such things.

Greatest No 10

Degea

Bailey. Smalling. *Verane. Shaw.

Schneiderlin

*Pogba. Rooney.

*Mane. Martial.

*Ibrahimovic

Rashford
Mata
Herrera
Blind
Darmain
Mahrez*
Embolo*
Carrick
Schweinstiger
Gomes*

I'd be happy to go with this team next season, but pogba is a must, would love to see him back here, can't blame us tho if we don't get him as the prices quoted are ridiculous.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Is there any reliable source and/or official source which said Pogba wants to leave or Juve are listening to offers?

bungdan

The game against Romania was the last nail in the coffin for me. I've tried my best to watch as many Juventus and PSG games as I could for the last few years, trying to convince myself that Pogba and Matuidi really are the real deal, and every time they come up with an average performance. They're nowhere near the level of Kroos, Modric, Gundogan, Turan or Rakitic. Kante was miles ahead of both of them in that game.

Nedved

The game against Romania was the last nail in the coffin for me. I've tried my best to watch as many Juventus and PSG games as I could for the last few years, trying to convince myself that Pogba and Matuidi really are the real deal, and every time they come up with an average performance. They're nowhere near the level of Kroos, Modric, Gundogan, Turan or Rakitic. Kante was miles ahead of both of them in that game.
Wow, talk about a hyperbole. Pogba is excellent and one of the best midfielders in his position, as any avid watcher of Juventus can tell. He is a bit inconsistent, but has great statistics, an imposing physical presence and a Zidane-esque ability to produce magic at any time.

He is currently at the stage of his career where Ibrahimovic, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale were before completely exploding, but Pogba has a very similar obvious potential. Don't forget how those three were constantly called overrated, overpriced, overhyped, chokers etc, but clearly had everything required (including mindset) to become world class.

Last edited: