g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

SirAF

Ageist
Apart from the stock Rooney put-down (too tiresome to bother with), you raise an interesting q: how might PP be used. I think Mou will build not one, but two United teams; injuries permitting, he will rotate between these to compete in a fixture congested Prem and in multiple competitions. All designed for the Everest assault on CL 2018.
Love it! :drool:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think Carrick and Pogba would be excellent together, and playing Rooney an advantage as he can drop back a bit when needed. In a weird way the bigger issue could be Martial who will need to put in enough of a shift on the left.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think Carrick and Pogba would be excellent together, and playing Rooney an advantage as he can drop back a bit when needed. In a weird way the bigger issue could be Martial who will need to put in enough of a shift on the left.
Rooney doesn't belong in any best XI any more. Hell he probably wouldn't make a second best XI.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I am all for signing Pogba, but I can't help but wonder where he will play.

Let's be totally realistic, Rooney won't be benched, if we then use Mourinhos preferred 4-2-3-1 we will likely like up as follows:

back four
Carrick Pogba
mkhi rooney martial
zlatan

That is not Pogba's best position, and he will be exposed in a midfield two in the PL, we don't currently have a DM that can cover him in a two. Ideally we should bench rooney and make it:

back four
carric schneid
mkhi pogba martial
zlatan

But that likely won't happen, atleast not until Rooney stink it up properly as the #10.

Pogba will be a huge transfer, and a great player. But he is not the missing piece in the puzzle. Then again if we go to 4-3-3 it all changes though, but that again leaves us with the dilemma of Rooney.

Fecking Rooney.
I don't think you'd get the best out of Pogba with 2 in midfield but I still think he can play there. That being said, you're spending £100m so you want to give him the best chance possible to succeed and that means playing 4-3-3. Will Jose play it, we can only guess at this moment.

If Pogba does arrive, I'd like to see.

- De Gea -

- Valencia - Smalling - Bailey - Shaw -

- Carrick -

- Herrera - Pogba -

- Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Martial -​

Sigma

I don't think you'd get the best out of Pogba with 2 in midfield but I still think he can play there. That being said, you're spending £100m so you want to give him the best chance possible to succeed and that means playing 4-3-3. Will Jose play it, we can only guess at this moment.

If Pogba does arrive, I'd like to see.

- De Gea -

- Valencia - Smalling - Bailey - Shaw -

- Carrick -

- Herrera - Pogba -

- Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Martial -​
Morgan in for Herrera and that is probably the best team

Let's be totally realistic, Rooney won't be benched, if we then use Mourinhos preferred 4-2-3-1 we will likely like up as follows:

back four
Carrick Pogba
mkhi rooney martial
zlatan

That is not Pogba's best position, and he will be exposed in a midfield two in the PL, we don't currently have a DM that can cover him in a two. Ideally we should bench rooney and make it:
Disagree with this Swansons, I think that is Pogba's best position (number 8) and it's the position he's being bought to play in. He will excel in that role alongside a Carrick or a Blind. I really don't see Pogba as a threat to Rooney at all, Rooney will be under threat from the likes of Miky & Mata.

LouisDanGaal

Kroos over Pogba? Kroos is an attacking midfielder whether Pogba is a box to box player. Pogba is younger, much more marketable, much more suitable for our needs and has more potential then Kroos. Can anyone see Kroos being a future Baloon Do'r winner? No. Can't say that about Pogba who hasn't even peaked yet.

Plus Pogba is physically much more suited to succeed in the PL.
Kroos isn't an AM and pogba might get more hype but kroos is the better player, if either was going to get the ballon d or surely it would be the better player

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Morgan in for Herrera and that is probably the best team
I feel Herrera is just better with the ball at his feet than Schneiderlin. Same principle yeah, an energetic midfielder who can get up and down. Schweinsteiger as a alternative to Carrick too if he stays (I hope he does).

SirAF

Ageist
Kroos isn't an AM and pogba might get more hype but kroos is the better player, if either was going to get the ballon d or surely it would be the better player
I don't think it's that much between them tbh, and Pogba is three years younger.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
If you watched Kroos regularly you would note that he has become very inconsistent since switching to Madrid. I think Pogba is on a similar technical level to Kroos, has a better all round game and he has physical attributes which make him superior to Kroos.

Not to mention Pogba's clear advantage when it comes to goalscoring. Kroos has managed just 3 goals in 68 games for Madrid.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am all for signing Pogba, but I can't help but wonder where he will play.

back four
Carrick Pogba
mkhi rooney martial
zlatan

back four
carric schneid
mkhi pogba martial
zlatan

But that likely won't happen, atleast not until Rooney stink it up properly as the #10.

Pogba will be a huge transfer, and a great player. But he is not the missing piece in the puzzle. Then again if we go to 4-3-3 it all changes though, but that again leaves us with the dilemma of Rooney.

Fecking Rooney.
Am expecting that as a world record signing, he will be played in his absolute best position, and everyone else can work around it.
You don't mess about with top signings, as the Di Maria debacle proved!

sincher

Rooney doesn't belong in any best XI any more. Hell he probably wouldn't make a second best XI.
Rubbish. Rooney is still a quality player. His place is threatened now and it will be interesting to see his reaction.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Rubbish. Rooney is still a quality player. His place is threatened now and it will be interesting to see his reaction.
He's not though, in the last few years it's astonishing how much of our play has broken down when it reaches him.

If it wasn't for his 'status' he'd not be making the squad on form. But this is way off topic and for another thread.

Oneunited26

Am expecting that as a world record signing, he will be played in his absolute best position, and everyone else can work around it.
You don't mess about with top signings, as the Di Maria debacle proved!
Difference between Jose and VG, one will play a more efficient kind of football with common sense practices, the other was so obsessed with a philosophy playing players out of position, demanding no one to take chances

sincher

He's not though, in the last few years it's astonishing how much of our play has broken down when it reaches him.

If it wasn't for his 'status' he'd not be making the squad on form. But this is way off topic and for another thread.
I do not agree with you. Not even making the squad? He is not being picked entirely on status.

VanGaalEra

I remember this time last year hoping Rooney had one more top class season left in him. Here I am, 12 months later hoping the same.

You know he's become a problem when you're 'hoping' for him to perform as opposed to 'expecting' him to perform.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Rooney is one of the main reasons why our attack is so lethargic when he's in that number 10 role. All he does with the ball is pass it out wide. He has at most 10 good games a season and even the quality of those 10 games has reduced. Several months during the past season he couldn't even get his first touch right, let alone create anything in our attacking play.

SirAF

Ageist
I remember this time last year hoping Rooney had one more top class season left in him. Here I am, 12 months later hoping the same.

You know he's become a problem when you're 'hoping' for him to perform as opposed to 'expecting' him to perform.
He's toast.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Rooney hasn't been "quality" since 2012. It's not a dip in form, he's been heavily declining for 4+ years.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I do not agree with you. Not even making the squad? He is not being picked entirely on status.
Yea, the squad, I wouldn't have him in it based on watching him play. Let's leave it there, we'll not agree and we're way off topic.

FujiVice

Never really the better player who wins it. Its the person whose face fits. Pogba's more qualified to win the Ballon D'or than Kroos. He has an agent and (soon) a club manager who will shout his name to the roof tops and put him in the hunt for individual awards, which Kroos doesnt have. Kroos is probably the better player, but he's a means to an end in the Real team. Bale and Ronaldo are the stars. He's the Paul Scholes to the Beckhams and the Michael Owens.

Thing with Kroos is, the people who are saying Pogba's fee is a lot based on marketing are spot on. Pogba is Ghostbusters Bluray for 20 quid. Its still a great film as it always was, but you're paying the extra £10 for the fancy cover and the extras and that scene in widescreen where you seen Sigorney Weavers tits. You dont pay £100m just for a great footballer. You pay for the brand.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Difference between Jose and VG, one will play a more efficient kind of football with common sense practices, the other was so obsessed with a philosophy playing players out of position, demanding no one to take chances
VG was pretty unbearable for his risk adverse football. But at least he didn't do what John Gregory did as Wycombe manager, fining players for shooting outside the box!

sincher

Since before he signed that fat contract to be precise.
Again this is disingenuous. The last time we as a team had a good season, in 2013-2014, Rooney had a good season. The whole team has been dodgy since and there are so many other players I could name who have been so much worse than Rooney.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Again this is disingenuous. The last time we as a team had a good season, in 2013-2014, Rooney had a good season. The whole team has been dodgy since and there are so many other players I could name who have been so much worse than Rooney.
You thought the 13-14 campaign was a good year? Or do you mean the year before in Fergie's last when SAF gave up on Rooney?

Sigma

I feel Herrera is just better with the ball at his feet than Schneiderlin. Same principle yeah, an energetic midfielder who can get up and down. Schweinsteiger as a alternative to Carrick too if he stays (I hope he does).
I agree with your post (all of it). Except I don't think Herrera is great defender whereas Morgan is better

sincher

Re Rooney yeah meant the year before, though his stats were not bad in the season under Moyes. Certainly unfair to say he has been poor since 2012. We are off topic though.

SirAF

Ageist
Re Rooney yeah meant the year before, though his stats were not bad in the season under Moyes. Certainly unfair to say he has been poor since 2012. We are off topic though.
To be fair, probably 90% of the thread is off topic :p

RC89

With him and Ibra in the squad, we finally have a few alpha characters. We used to be made of them. The only one that comes to mind from our current crop is Schweini, maybe Rooney but even then, not in the way he used to be. We used to have Rio, Vida, Nev, Ronaldo, Rooney, and Tevez all in one line up. Finally we can get some of that mentality back. Hopefully.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No. Kroos and Verratti are in a league of their own as far as young midfielders are concerned. I am looking forward to seeing what Pogba can do but let's not inflate his achievements.
In my opinion Kroos would really struggle in the premier league. Pogba is such a unique player compared to both verratti and Kroos and frankly I think he's proven far more than both of them that he's the best player of the bunch. I understand that some people love players that set the tempo but pogbas power, drive and flair is better and he's the player that out of the 3 is the most suited to the premier league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He is used to playing in a midfield 3, or effectively a 5 with Juventus 3-5-2 though. And that is in a league with less pressing and intensity as opposed to the PL.

He didn't exactly convince in a midfield 2 for France during the EC.

I think that the best way to get the most out of Pogba is a midfield 3, and hopefully we will switch to a 4-3-3. Perhaps Pogba, Zlatan, Martial and Rashfords presence in this United side is finally enough to get rid of Rooney as a guaranteed starter and poster boy. Surely Zlatan and Pogba is already more marketable, and Martial and Rashford will become more marketable in a season or two.

Yeah, but a 433 would still put pogba in the box to box role, no? The advanced midfielder would be Rooney as a 10. If he's dropped the replacement in my opinion should be Mikhitaryan. He can go very quiet if cast out wide right otherwise.

Obviously another midfield purchase such as matuidi would make way for pogba being more advanced. But I doubt this will happen.