Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unmutual

Pretty unimpressed by this, particularly if it means we don't get Morata as well, and doubly so at that price. Lukaku's shown very little in his career to suggest he's the kind of player who can unpick a tightly packed defence or knit together our attacking game, which given the insane number of low scoring draws at home last season is precisely what we need.

Talking to the Everton fans in our office last season (its full of em, I work on Merseyside Im sad to say) they were of the view that his goal scoring was covering up a multitude of sins in his all round game, particularly his his hold up play, which has been the weak point in his game throughout his career.

Still, if this goes through it shows United are capable of surprising us in the transfer market, perhaps they will do again.

Spirit of Solskjaer

Where are you getting these figures from?

I'm not saying they are wrong, but Wikipedia says 71 club goals in all comps for Lukaku over the last 5 seasons.

Also, it's not the case that only Aguero has scored more goals (99) in the last 5 EPL seasons than Lukaku, even assuming that 85 goals in the correct figure for the latter. Harry Kane has scored 94 goals (all competitions) in the last 3 seasons alone.
From the PL official site:
https://www.premierleague.com/players/4290/Romelu-Lukaku/stats
And we're talking PL goals, not goals against Fleetwood or whatever.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I'm not saying they are wrong, but Wikipedia says 71 club goals in all comps for Lukaku over the last 5 seasons.

Also, it's not the case that only Aguero has scored more goals (99) in the last 5 EPL seasons than Lukaku, even assuming that 85 goals in the correct figure for the latter. Harry Kane has scored 94 goals (all competitions) in the last 3 seasons alone.
Add the numbers you will get 85 league goals. Total is wrong and it's same for few other players.

Mindhunter

Sir, if your Coach prefers to play someone rather than you, means he does not believe in you.

Zidane does not trust Morata to be starter in the big games, because he knows Morata is not good enough.

And Madrid buybacked him not for being a future starter striker, no.

He is a backup for aging Ronaldo and Benzema. And may be for Bale which supposed to replace Ronaldo but currently fail to do it.

If both of them gone, Madrid will seach for other high profile striker. Like Mbappe right now.

As simple as that.
Morata is good enough. It's just that he is at RM where there are better players. As the poster above mentioned - no shame in being second choice at Madrid.

vodrake

The calculation is wrong on the Wikipedia table, it's only counting the last 3 seasons at Everton.

If you count up the league goals including the loans at Everton and West Brom it's 85. Total goals in all comps over the 5 years is 104

Rusholme Ruffian

This is an extremely lazy comparison. Aside from the fact that they are both black, fast and strong. Drogba was the quintessential big game player, while inconsistent against minnows, bar a couple of seasons. Lukaku is the opposite in this regard.
Drogba was barely getting started at Lukaku's age. Lukaku will hopefully become a big game player too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Players don't reinvent themselves much in their mid 20s. They developed mentally and become more consistent/better at what they do best but the notion that we can fundamentally change the game of a player entering his prime is hopeful at best and nonsensical at worst.

Also, bear in mind that he's similar to Rooney with the amount of football he played from a young age. He's unlikely to last long past 30.
yawn

CG1010

Says something when our fans are triumphant over signing Romelu Lukaku.
I am very sure some are so derisive of him only because he played for Everton for 5 years and we are supposed to be Manchester United. If he came from a fancy league playing under a fancy club, would have been greeted with more enthusiasm here.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
A great signing, and I don't know why anyone here would think otherwise. He's scoring 20+ goals a season playing in a shite Everton team, so how much is he going to do with Pogba/Mhiki/Rashford/Martial/Mata around him?

20-25+ league goals this season, barring any injuries. What more could you want?

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Says something when our fans are triumphant over signing Romelu Lukaku.
Yeah, because signing the 2nd top goalscorer from the season just gone where we ourselves struggled to score is obviously not something to be happy about.

Red Devil Rising

For someone who has been consistently labelled a flat track bully, the last couple of seasons he has scored against Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man City - so all of the top teams.

Seems to particularly like playing against Man City too which is always a bonus.

This kind of comment makes internet debate pointless. A player's performance over short or long term must be judged by its own merits, not the collective success. Does anyone think less of Gascoigne or RvP even if Spurs and Arsenal weren't successful?

Yorke's Utd career is similar to Hernandez statistically. It's decent but hardly a big roaring success personally.
I can only conclude you didn't watch us back then. Yorke was integral to our attack that season.

el3mel

Regarding the poll, happy enough, not really feeling like a muppet as I was never 100% convinced of him and I have some doubts regarding him but he's not bad also. It's time for him to prove he can become a striker for a top team.

What I'm really happy about is hijacking Chelsea deal with him, hilarious and worth laughing on its own. Their negotiation skills have always been overrated by non Chelsea fans but this proves they have lots of problems also.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
For someone who has been consistently labelled a flat track bully, the last couple of seasons he has scored against Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man City - so all of the top teams.

Seems to particularly like playing against Man City too which is always a bonus.
Not to mention the fact that he demolishes the lower table teams who we had problems putting away last season.

Saf94

Ducker: Lukaku to MUFC

BBC/Stone: Lukaku to MUFC

MEN: Lukaku to MUFC

Craig Norwood: Lukaku to MUFC.

It's done. Everton are simply saying "It's not done" because we leaked it first and there are probably some "i" to dot. We don't brief all our well known journos with "maybe" signings.
Literally this. I know people like to paint the club as incompetent but it would take a truly different level of stupid to brief that a transfer is done when it isn't and there's a chance it might not.

Woodward didn't get to where he is but moronically bumbling around until he happened to fall upon the job of CEO of the biggest club in the world. Have at least a tiny bit of faith that these guys know what they're doing

Reactions: KM

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The disrespect towards Lukaku is astonishing. I'd have preferred Morata as I think he suited us more but Lukaku is more proven and more consistent so its hard to argue with the signing or the price.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Seriously DT? Who would you want that's available. Most here are probably happier him than Morata … I think there's a chance we can still land them both if Rooney's off the books.
Just think it is more to do with Real Madrid than the quality of the player and his experience of winning trophies and playing in big games which I hope we are going to be involved with. I would rather have both him a Morata and I still don't think he is enough.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Regarding the poll, happy enough, not really feeling like a muppet as I was never 100% convinced of him and I have some doubts regarding him but he's not bad also. It's time for him to prove he can become a striker for a top team.

What I'm really happy about is hijacking Chelsea deal with him, hilarious and worth laughing on its own. Their negotiation skills have always been overrated by non Chelsea fans but this proves they have lots of problems also.
No offensive mate, but werent you the one who was convinced that Perisic would be a good signing? But here is a guy who averages like 25 goals a campaign for the last few years and has proven himself in the premier league but youre not convinced?

SqueakyWeasel

We ain't spending close to 200m on 2 players when we have other positions to fill.
140 is not close to 200 and if we want two quality forwards - which we do if Rooney's off the books too, that's the going rate. Forget purchase price as that's a club asset (sell-on fee0 that will depreciate over time. If we can secure them both for something like Rooney's wages combined then why not?

cantonaldo

News aside.. when was the last time we had a bull upfront for us? I can't seem to recall the club having a strong forward with the build of Lukaku.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I had been hoping this wouldn't happy, only on the grounds that I simply cannot make my mind up about this guy. He is either truly sterling or complete crap! For now, cue more Route One

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
News aside.. when was the last time we had a bull upfront for us? I can't seem to recall the club having a strong forward with the build of Lukaku.
Umm last season with Ibra?

Ban

Seems as some posters are unhappy rest of us are happy with signing Lukaku. What times at the redcafe..

Rooney24

Different type of player than Lukaku, but probably Mark Hughes?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This is the only problem I have with Lukaku. He's not actually that strong and struggles with his back to goal. It's his only weakness as a striker.

Sad Chris

his goal scoring was covering up a multitude of sins in his all round game, particularly his his hold up play, which has been the weak point in his game throughout his career
:lol: Yeah, who wants a player that bangs in goals to cover up his shit first touch...:lol:

el3mel

No offensive mate, but werent you the one who was convinced that Perisic would be a good signing? But here is a guy who averages like 25 goals a campaign for the last few years and has proven himself in the premier league but youre not convinced?
Yeah me.

What are both related to each other ?! Two different players in different positions.

I didn't say I'm not convinced of him. I said I'm not 100% convinced of him in some points, in other points he'll be really good.

Tiber

The disrespect towards Lukaku is astonishing. I'd have preferred Morata as I think he suited us more but Lukaku is more proven and more consistent so its hard to argue with the signing or the price.
He is proven as a good premier league player. But proven in the Champions League, or as the player who will fix our goal scoring problems and lift our entire team to the next level? Not even close

Home&Away

Break the world record for delle Ali next & we have the new drogba and lampard!

podurban2

Seems as some posters are unhappy rest of us are happy with signing Lukaku. What times at the redcafe..
I can understand not being ecstatic, but being a party pooper for the rest of us is baffling.

Lukaku is 24yo, already a proven PL top 5 scorer and will only get better. Mourinho can turn him into one heck of a player. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.