Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Red

Has this been confirmed yet? Are we being used by Riola as leverage against Chelsea?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You can see in this video how little control he has when he is trying to move with the ball, it's like he's fighting to keep it within touching distance.
Some people just look clumsy without actually having shite technique. I've seen plenty of Lukaku, and whilst I concede that he needs to work on his consistency - I also would like to point out that he is very good with the ball at times. Excellent even. When you factor in that he shields the ball well. He's very mobile and very athletic. At times players just bounce of him. It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing but it sure as hell gets the job done. Very well done.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Disappointing. Not a player who has shown anything that suggests he can lead a league-challenging side or do anything in the CL.

For £75m, you might as well add a bit more and go for the world beaters.

Lukaku has it all to prove here.
Scores bags of goals for Everton and WBA but wont with much better players? Sound logic.

theralyst

I don't watch much of Lukaku, but he seems very good with both feet when striking the ball.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Whatever Ibra did in his season here was great but I really see Lukaku doing much better. He is younger and has more to the physical side of his game which I feel we needed a lot (too many technical players like Mata, Miki, Rashford and Martial that lacked physicality)

He isn't as clinical as some of the best strikers out there and I've seen him miss a few chances but he's still young so that can change (contrary to what many believe 24 is not that old. It is unlikely he's even peaked).

Overall, Lukaku for 75 million is a very good deal and not overpriced. With decent service he can easily finish as the top scorer next season.

Eddy_JukeZ

Has this been confirmed yet? Are we being used by Riola as leverage against Chelsea?
Not officially, but it seems to be a done deal. Just need to agree personal terms I believe and then the medical.

Highly doubt we're being used.

Devil may care

Some people just look clumsy without actually having shite technique. I've seen plenty of Lukaku, and whilst I concede that he needs to work on his consistency - I also would like to point out that he is very good with the ball at times. Excellent even. When you factor in that he shields the ball well. He's very mobile and very athletic. At times players just bounce of him. It doesn't look aesthetically pleasing but it sure as hell gets the job done. Very well done.
He doesn't just look clumsy, he is cumbersome and doesn't control the ball when trying to move with it, it's why Blind tucked him up with ease, and yes he's awful to watch, effective at times for sure, but that's not enough IMO.

cyberman

Blind has kept the best strikers in England quiet, just because Lukaku couldn't get by him doesn't equate to bad technique.
He fecking rinsed City at times last season ffs.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Blind has kept the best strikers in England quiet, just because Lukaku couldn't get by him doesn't equate to bad technique.
He fecking rinsed City at times last season ffs.
Indeed. Blind s intelligence on and off the ball is second to none on our team - him silencing Lukaku is more a credit to him than it is a slight against Lukaku.

Womp

idiot
His technique isn't as bad as people make out. His first touch can be dire at times, but that can be worked on. He's strong as feck, throws defenders off him for fun and is quick. If we get Martial etc. performing to the level they can, playing off Lukaku's strength, we could mount a proper challenge.

Just need to sort out the LB position, whether it's Shaw or a signing and get a DM in and we're set.

MullerUtd

Makes me wonder when Koeman came out to critisize our style of play, does he already know that Lukaka is coming to us? Seems like it.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
His technique isn't as bad as people make out. His first touch can be dire at times, but that can be worked on. He's strong as feck, throws defenders off him for fun and is quick. If we get Martial etc. performing to the level they can, playing off Lukaku's strength, we could mount a proper challenge.

Just need to sort out the LB position, whether it's Shaw or a signing and get a DM in and we're set.
We need a winger as well. Can't rely on Martial or Lingard for another season and hope they come good.

Devil may care

Ridiculous. This is clumsy?
I've seen this goal thrown up proudly before like it's some example of great technique, he looks like he's stumbling over at least twice and lollops into the box and finishes well, it doesn't disprove anything, he's clumsy and cumbersome.

criticalanalysis

Lukaku will do great here imo. It's as simple as that. He's got all the tools to score goals and improve himself and the team.

His touch is indeed inconsistent and whilst he's never going to have a great one, he can improve to have a consistent one; that alone would make our attack become more potent as the focal point/foil for our interplay.

The times when he has a poor first touch, it's when he has dropped his shoulders and relaxed them in a bad way. To do that you have to be fully concentrated and/or actually have pure 'natural' ability in the way of a touch i.e like Berbatov. He's never going to have a Berbatov touch but you'll be naive to think he isn't going to step up when he has technician's like Mata, Herrera, Pogba, Miki, Blind etc firing balls into his feet.

Being a body language expert ahem, at Everton, it almost seems like he's not got the competition/drive and team mates, who can 'scare'/motivate him to do more. Utd and Mourinho, will surely do that.

Imagine a concentrated and motivated Lukaku on the pitch playing off and with our current midfielders? He's fecking gonna love it.

I'd still love the idea of a Morata type forward to add to our lines but all in all, this is a very good transfer for us.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Very exciting signing. Back to the reliable formula of signing proven talent in the Premier League.

I think we will win the title next year.

shamans

I've seen this goal thrown up proudly before like it's some example of great technique, he looks like he's stumbling over at least twice and lollops into the box and finishes well, it doesn't disprove anything, he's clumsy and cumbersome.
First, if he's clumsy and can score that goal, why can't other normal non-clumsy players not score similar goals? Second, the point of lukaku is not to be a twinkle toe dribbler. He's a powerhouse that bangs in goals.

Devil may care

First, if he's clumsy and can score that goal, why can't other normal non-clumsy players not score similar goals? Second, the point of lukaku is not to be a twinkle toe dribbler. He's a powerhouse that bangs in goals.
There are plenty of players that could score that goal, it isn't remotely unique or special. You're right he's isn't a twinle toe dribbler, he's an ugly battering ram striker, the type I hate.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
I don't care as long as he scores 25 goals in the league for us, which he most likely will do.

Womp

idiot
This is what people are failing to understand. We have enough ballerinas in our team. Martial, Mkhitryan, Mata etc. are all technically very good and look where that got us last season. Lukaku bulldozes his way to the goal.

shamans

There are plenty of players that could score that goal, it isn't remotely unique or special. You're right he's isn't a twinle toe dribbler, he's an ugly battering ram striker, the type I hate.
Yeah but I think it would be for the greater good if we get a striker that gets us goals rather than a style that Devil May care on redcafe does not enjoy watching.

Eddy_JukeZ

To me, Martial has goals in them. I would like an assist machine as a winger. Someone who can make chance after chance for Lukaku.
I think he does too, but he needs to find his way again. Hopefully he rebounds nicely this season.

Devil may care

Yeah but I think it would be for the greater good if we get a striker that gets us goals rather than a style that Devil May care on redcafe does not enjoy watching.
I'd rather we got a striker that can score the goals, is good to watch and actually has the ceiling to make us CL contenders, Lukaku can't provide either of the latter.

So you hate these type of goals?
They are just run of the mill goals in a meaningless game, the first one being a huge goof from the keeper, I hate watching strikers like him play football in general, they mess up fluid football with their limited technical ability.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Well with all due respect, who cares what you hate? It's not relevant to anything and it impacts Manchester United, Lukaku or the rest of us not one iota. If he scores, he scores.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think the recent memories of a technician like RvP clouds the judgment of some. The combination of strength, technique and ability to create something out of little is a rare combination. Don't hold Lukaku to that standard (yet) We can't f around another season without a proven goal scorer. Despite the disappointing league finish Ibra showed how important a CF is that simply bangs them in.

Womp

idiot
Every goal is a run of the mill goal ffs. If you're expecting a player to dribble a whole team and dink the keeper there's only one player in football who does so consistently and he just signed a new contact with Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.