Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquire Me

I really dont want to have this conversation but I cant stop myself.

Are you saying that your family in the US, who knew something about the name Manchester United, knew nothing about the name Real Madrid? Like, if you said Real Madrid to them they would assume you meant as opposed to fake Madrid? Or maybe its some kind of sports club but they dont know what sport? I find that very hard to believe.

Please dont reply. Please be stronger than me and save us from this ludicrous conversation.
I am going to reply, I am not stronger myself. What I said is not based on my family in the US, it's more on a general consensus. I know I can't prove it, but I am pretty sure I am spot on. People will recognise Manchester United around the world more so than Real Madrid. That's my opinion though and I can be wrong. It's hard to find evidence to generalize this and that's okay, because it's not really important. I promise to stop discussing this now, I think :devil:

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I am going to reply, I am not stronger myself. What I said is not based on my family in the US, it's more on a general consensus. I know I can't prove it, but I am pretty sure I am spot on. People will recognise Manchester United around the world more so than Real Madrid. That's my opinion though and I can be wrong. It's hard to find evidence to generalize this and that's okay, because it's not really important. I promise to stop discussing this now, I think :devil:
Well, to be fair, it wouldn't be like you to make up total horseshit and pass it off as fact.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
€90 million for a backup striker.....do you think that's a reasonable price for a backup
Morata will know he has been vastly overpriced and it is Perez's greed that has stopped the lad getting a chance of regular first team football. They will have begged him to lower the asking price, but Perez is so obsessed with Mbappe he is not seeing sense. It would serve him right if Mbappe is a flop and Morata does really well wherever he ends up.

Mihai

Because we will be dependant on others scoring goals too?
We've have a team full of players whose "overall play" is really good and still had the most draws in the league. Considering this, do you add another striker whose overall play is really good or add someone who can convert the chances?

prtk0811

Out of 100 football shirts in South and East Africa, where I've been numerous times, 90% are Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, Utd the most by a distance. In Asia it was about the same I think.

You also said: Or who know something about United, but know nothing about Madrid. Do you think such people exist?

They probably know Madrid, but are far more familiar with Utd. Including the States.
The russian Subcontinent too have more United Fanbase thanmadrid's or barcelona's

prtk0811

He will definitely have to buck his ideas up about helping the team out. Jose had doubts about him before, but he is now giving him a big chance. It is up to Lukaku to take it with both hands.
Luakaku likes space , Mourinho likes To counter. Tried and tested formula for consistancy in the league.

cheeky_backheel

Why would we be concerned about his overall play if he scores plenty of goals for us?
cos it affects the performance of the team.

Lukaku scoring a lot of goals doesnt automatically equate to us winning games. particularly crucial ones.

Example was how Hazard's loss of concentration likely cost Chelsea a trip to CL final.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Hahaha a bigger club? hahahahaha

No

More fans, more money, but never a bigger club

Can I ask a serious question to the older Man Utd fans.

Do you not resent going for players like Lukaku and Morata? Seems beneath Man utd to be fair.
You don't understand Manchester United it seems. Ole Solskjaer scored for us in the 1999 final instead of Gabriel Batistuta.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

That line that he still prefers a move to chelsea but its chelsea's choice to turn to other targets as big bad united took him from that manchild Conte is face saving of the highest order. I dint have any preference between the two but this deal is worth it just for the piss it has boiled in Madrid and london.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Out of 100 football shirts in South and East Africa, where I've been numerous times, 90% are Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, Utd the most by a distance. In Asia it was about the same I think.

You also said: Or who know something about United, but know nothing about Madrid. Do you think such people exist?

They probably know Madrid, but are far more familiar with Utd. Including the States.
The trends in Asia and Africa are incredibly different. The Premier League really dominates in most parts of Africa but La Liga and even the Serie A have some strong connections in various parts of Asia. The Premier League is still the major player but the two really shouldn't be compared on any level.

He talks a lot, sometimes too much, but can't knock his desire to improve, be best he can and awareness of weaknesses etc.
Yeah, that interview is actually very reassuring. Immediately makes me more positive about his long-term potential.

Mihai

cos it affects the performance of the team.

Lukaku scoring a lot of goals doesnt automatically equate to us winning games. particularly crucial ones.

Example was how Hazard's loss of concentration likely cost Chelsea a trip to CL final.
How many 0-0 draws did we have last season? How many 1-1 draws? How many games we've been on the front foot, created chances and had no one who could convert those?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why would we be concerned about his overall play if he scores plenty of goals for us?
If he inhibits the play of others, preventing other attacking players from scoring goals, preventing the midfield from retaining the ball and inviting pressure on our defence, then the costs can obviously outweight the benefits.

gulli_G

That line that he still prefers a move to chelsea but its chelsea's choice to turn to other targets as big bad united took him from that manchild Conte is face saving of the highest order. I dint have any preference between the two but this deal is worth it just for the piss it has boiled in Madrid and london.

We had Madrid waiting on us for morata, for a few weeks, we should go all out for Mbappe to rub it in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I wonder what was the reaction to us buying Saha? I was not around at that time but would be interesting to know.
I don't think Saha created such uproar mainly because he was considered as a cover for new boy Rooney and the goal-machine himself RVN. With Yorke, Teddy and Cole things were pretty different as they were meant to be first teamers. SAF had that troll like behaviour to first go for the top player (Ex Kluivert or Batistuta) only to then settle for the Lidl signing from around the corner. He did make it work though.

Verminator

That's fecking hilarious. :lol:

cheeky_backheel

How many 0-0 draws did we have last season? How many 1-1 draws? How many games we've been on the front foot, created chances and had no one who could convert those?
and what has that got to do with a coach expecting his main striker to do more than just score goals? Even with out struggles last season, were Rashford and Martial not asked to track back?

Lukaku, at a minimum, but that is not all he is expected to do.

strandty

Sky and their incredible 'sources' are saying Everton are waiting for us to meet their £90m valuation.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I live in Cobham, I genuinely might go and hand around the training ground to see if I can hear Conte shouting :lol: he's going to be on fire!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I wouldn't label that as a "technicality". I can only speak for myself but by "biggest club" I think of the club who are the most supported and those fans in Asia are a key reason why. Best/most accomplished team? No.

Beckham was probably the biggest sports star in the world in the late 90s - early 00s but it didn't mean he was the best. The Rock is probably the biggest actor in the world right now but it doesn't mean he's the best actor.
But that's precisely what I mean by a technicality. We know we're not the biggest when it comes to any metric that actually matters - success, a preferable destination for most players, the stuff that actually relates to football, etc - so using the term in a deliberately literal way in order aggrandize ourselves just seems a tad sad. It's like claiming you're the most popular kid in school 'cos you've got the most Twitter followers whilst the captain of the football teams swans off with the girl to a massive party with all his actual friends.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I have to admit that I thought Yorke for £12m (was it) was completely mental at the time.
I remember reading in fergies book that kidd wanted us to sign hartson instead. Yikes! To be fair Yorke didn't last long but he was a brilliant signing for that season especially. Peak yorke and cole were amazing. I fancied us to score against everyone.

lewwoo

This is definitely down to pogba and the lad's holiday. We've all been there. Summer with the lad's.

Borden

Martial, Rashford, Zlatan, Pogba, Mata, Mkhitaryan are all players who can be considered to have good "overall playing " abilities at least.
Yes we do. In Midfeild and defense.
On paper, yes, in practice that hasn't been the case. I expect Lukaku to bag a respectable amount of goals for us, but I remain skeptical that his overall play is good enough for a club with aspirations of being the best in Europe (which is what we should be aiming for). I hope he proves me wrong though, or that players like Martial and Mkhi step up their game enough to offset Lukaku's drawbacks (which in fairness we'd need them to do regardless of which striker we bought).

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I don't think Saha created such uproar mainly because he was considered as a cover for new boy Rooney and the goal-machine himself RVN. With Yorke, Teddy and Cole things were pretty different as they were meant to be first teamers. SAF had that troll like behaviour to first go for the top player (Ex Kluivert or Batistuta) only to then settle for the Lidl signing from around the corner. He did make it work though.
I think Saha came in before we bought Rooney, I know this because I recall him saying in the media we don't need (to buy) Rooney.

beedoubleyou

Yes. Travel around Asia, Africa or even the States and you'll be surprised. Utd is the most famous club in the world. Real has the biggest history and trophy cabinet.
Sure, but Real Madrid's history is pretty dark. Certainly nothing to be proud of. While the trophy cabinet is full, there's no denying that there's some ill gotten gains in there.

WPMUFC

Sky and their incredible 'sources' are saying Everton are waiting for us to meet their £90m valuation.
Paul joyce already has the figure at 90m + rooney. feck Sky, they ran with Jim whites lies yesterday about "no fee agreed" and this morning is backtracking hard with "well its all about legal issues now" :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think Saha came in before we bought Rooney, I know this because I recall him saying in the media we don't need (to buy) Rooney.
If memory serves me right we bought them in the same period. Even though it might not be the case, it was pretty much written on the wall that Rooney will end up at United. Back then we had a near Bayern like dominance in terms of EPL transfers and very few players would dare turning us down.

Status
Not open for further replies.